The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Knave
Knights & Legends
Infinity the Roleplaying Game Gamemaster's Guide
H. P. Lovecraft Preparatory Academy
Berlin: The Wicked City
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
The Town of Rydell
Dead Planet
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Melee
Dungeon Squad!
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Orcs of the High Mountains
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Blades in the Dark
KULT: Divinity Lost
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
IDENTECO Core Rule Book
13th Age Glorantha
Judge Dredd & The Worlds of 2000 AD Tabletop Adventure Game
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Galactic Sentience Catalog
Vampire: The Masquerade (1st Edition)
Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game
d20 Modern Core Book
CthulhuTech
The Sunless Citadel
Traveller
Dragon Fist
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Mekton Zeta
Rite of Passage
Nexus Life
What is Dungeons and Dragons?
Fiasco
Lamentations of the Flame Princess (Grindhouse Edition)
Playing at the World
101 Fantasy Style Riddles II
Designers & Dragons: The 70s
The Orc in the Well
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
The Black Cube
Tales from the Yawning Portal
Mirkwood Campaign
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
796 Posts
[1]  Prev «  28 , 29 , 30 , 31 , 32  Next »  [32] | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » RPG Design

Subject: Let's Make a Hexcrawl Together rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ooozan wrote:
https://www.overleaf.com/read/nvnjjnxsfsdv

Here is a link for the overleaf page. Message me if you want to help out.

I like that D&D 5e style template, and I think LATEX is a much better tool for the job than MS Word. I have a working knowledge of LATEX and I'd like to help, if needed.

Can I have a go and try to make those maps 2 column-wide? They are so beautiful, it'd be great if they could be a bit bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Looks like an interesting tool. Similar to the Homebrewery, which I've used, though perhaps a bit more complex, as it handles multiple types of documents. Homebrewery is only for RPG stuff, and thus only has the one style.

Would agree about wider (full page?) maps. Otherwise, best of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry B.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:

Looks fine, except east not south.

Loved the Cheese festival.

Amended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
ooozan wrote:

surprise This is gorgeous!

My husband uses LaTeX for papers all the time - alas, I've never touched it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
ooozan wrote:

surprise This is gorgeous!

My husband uses LaTeX for papers all the time - alas, I've never touched it.

It is, indeed, gorgeous. Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
landovers wrote:
ooozan wrote:

I like that D&D 5e style template, and I think LATEX is a much better tool for the job than MS Word. I have a working knowledge of LATEX and I'd like to help, if needed.

Can I have a go and try to make those maps 2 column-wide? They are so beautiful, it'd be great if they could be a bit bigger.

Done! Its just a matter of putting a * in the figure space. I agree it looks much better this way, thanks for the input. I shared an editable link with you so you can go ahead and keep adding more.

I am waiting for everyone to finish so we have the final versions, that's the reason you won't see major updates everyday from me on the latex file.

Once everyone is done Let me know, all this took less than an hour to set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
So... I'm not going to use LaTeX. Too much overhead and too much to learn. It'd probably take me a month to get the hang of things, and then I'd have to start over to "do it right".

Nothing against LaTeX, naturally. Just not for this, for me. Perhaps if already I knew how to use it.

Incidentally, The Guildsman (Issue 7 - Fall 2000) was published in LaTeX format. And then re-published as PDF so RPG folks could actually use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
That's entirely valid, Clark. I wouldn't learn something new for this either.

I guess there are a couple questions I have. First, can Latex export to PDF? That was my assumption, but if it's proprietary file types, yeah, that's an issue. Second, if they handle it in Latex, you might off the hook for extra work. Frankly, there are numerous ways we could handle formatting that will ultimately be perfectly acceptable. What are your thoughts on outsourcing to the two of them (and/or other collaborators)? If you had another method in mind, though, I'm sure no one will object.

Those are - I hope - just to get the conversation rolling on who and in what way is going to be easiest for all involved, so that we have next steps in place while the last of the hex edits are taking place this week. The spirit of cooperation remains encouraging, however, and I personally appreciate how many have stepped up to fill gaps in the hexes and suggest options for the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mawilson4 wrote:
I guess there are a couple questions I have. First, can Latex export to PDF? That was my assumption, but if it's proprietary file types, yeah, that's an issue. Second, if they handle it in Latex, you might off the hook for extra work. Frankly, there are numerous ways we could handle formatting that will ultimately be perfectly acceptable. What are your thoughts on outsourcing to the two of them (and/or other collaborators)? If you had another method in mind, though, I'm sure no one will object.

You can simply export to PDF with a single click of a button so it isn't an issue. You can even do it yourself with the editable link.

I wouldn't mind another method if you don't like the idea. It's what I always use and I love how it looks which is the reason why I offered.

As I said I am still waiting on the official 'end' of the writing period so if you suggest we do it some other way I won't mind at all.

ctimmins wrote:
So... I'm not going to use LaTeX. Too much overhead and too much to learn. It'd probably take me a month to get the hang of things, and then I'd have to start over to "do it right".

Nothing against LaTeX, naturally. Just not for this, for me. Perhaps if already I knew how to use it.

It's very simple actually, most of it is just copy pasting. You only need to know

to create bulletpoints:
Quote:
\begin{itemize}
\item
\end{itemize}

to create a numbered list:
Quote:
\begin{enumerate}
\item
\end{enumerate}

to create a dnd table
Quote:
\begin{dndtable}[lX]
\lstinline!COLUMN_LEFT! & COLUMN_RIGHT \\
\lstinline!COLUMN_LEFT! & COLUMN_RIGHT \\
\end{dndtable}

to make text bold:
Quote:
\textbf{TEXTHERE}

which is pretty much all you need. I still think I can do it alone in a weekend, don't take this as a way for me to force you into things, that's really not my intention at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ooozanto wrote:
make text bold:
Quote:
\textbf{TEXTHERE}

How do you make text italic? I used lots of italics, and so do the blue kobold pirates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mb
\textit{TEXTHERE}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I bounce between good net and poor net, and today will be poor (no editing wiki for me).
05.03 needs a space in the hex title before the username.
07.08 & 09.03 could use a username of whomever wrote it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
00.01 has encounter table, missing 2 entries. I suggest:
13-15 a territorial, aggressive, moray eel
16 pirate ship of the kobolds from 01.01
But,
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
should have a say. Geekmailing now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry B.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I bounce between good net and poor net, and today will be poor (no editing wiki for me).
05.03 needs a space in the hex title before the username.
07.08 & 09.03 could use a username of whomever wrote it.

Okay, I fixed this (assuming the list on page 1 is correct). I'll leave you and Azukail to sort out the table in 00.01, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmbmb
But,
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm just saying vampire barnacles would be pretty horrifying.

Or... mutiny on board your own ship!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
But,
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb

Fixed! With a couple of modifications to your suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Azukail wrote:
But,
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb

Fixed! With a couple of modifications to your suggestions.

Awesome!

Thanks, birmy and others, for doing the minor wiki edits I catch but don't have net to personaly do in a timely fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Still more wiki edits needed:
All of these need a whitespace line break between paragraphs. You can tell where a paragraph is/was when the last sentence of it does not go all the way across. I'll also say this easily happens when cutting and pasting from word to the wiki.

07.02 either needs the above fix or could be consolidated into 2 paragraphs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Trying to see what hasn't been claimed, re-claimed, etc. I know we're trying to do a fire sale for the remaining hexes, and maybe I can help out. I don't think anyone's jumped on 07.06 yet.

I've added this to the Wiki.

07.06 - The Prankster Squad

Removed from the confines of society, and free to do as they please in the rocky wilderness where curious travelers rarely venture, The Prankster Squad is a tight-knit but loosely defined group of humanoids of all races and types. They live in a series of interconnected tunnels in the lower regions of the area, though they typically stray into other areas of the mountains or even the forests of hex 06.07 to forage for food or during harsh winters.

The group consist of strays, castoffs, vagabonds, orphans and other forgotten folk. At any given time, they number around 30. To pass the time, they rig their domain with elaborate traps that they refer to as pranks. While the traps act as useful hunting tools, they exist primarily for the amusement of the Squad.

Unfortunately, years of living in isolation have given The Prankster Squad a unique idea of what constitutes a "prank." Several pranks veer into deadly territory. The squad are aware of this fact. Their intentions aren't evil, but they see risk and death as part of their game, and enjoy seeing their traps avoided or foiled just as much as seeing them succeed.

Notable Pranksters
Crobby - Goblin Male, and de facto leader of the group
Diggum - Rock Troll
Dorgum - Imp, who generally rides on Diggum's shoulder
The Sweets - A family of nine human siblings who claim to be the children of a wealthy king.
Charlie - Human Female, and collector of an absurd amount of junk. Consult your favorite d100 trinket table and roll a d100. That is the one trinket on the list she doesn't have.

The Pranks
For each hour of travel in the region, there is a 20% chance the party will encounter one of the squad's traps. If the party avoids, disarms or survives a trap, there is a 40% chance one or more members of the squad congratulates them (from a safe distance) before darting off.

Traps (roll 3d6)
3-4: A web of leaves and sticks gives way to a pit trap, the bottom of which contains (what the players hope is) impossibly stinky mud.
5-7: In a narrow pass, lined with steep cliffs on either side, a false stone acts as a pressure plate, triggering a boulder approximately 100 feet behind the party, with another 100 to go before they can sidestep the pass.
8-10: A tree swing hangs from a tree that is approximately five feet from the edge of a 200-foot cliff. If 50 lbs. of pressure is placed on the swing, a hidden, hanging tree trunk is loosed from nearby that will collide with anyone on the swing, with enough force to send them over the cliff face.
11-13: A scarecrow stands in the road, with two diamonds in its eye sockets. If either of the diamonds are removed, a burst of acid erupts from the mouth. The acid is rarely deadly, but creates horrible scars unless healed immediately. The diamonds are revealed to be fakes when inspected.
14-16: Gravestones have been placed strategically in a small, sandy clearing to be right on the edge of a series of quicksand pits. Getting close enough to read the stones will place the character in the quicksand.
17: Some apples on a table, with a note "please help yourself!" next to them. They are delicious and not harmful. "Beating" this prank requires players to eat the apples.
18: Charlie's Doom. A small bauble sits on a tree branch within reach of a medium-sized humanoid. When picked up, it's tied to a nearly invisible piece of string that sets off a series of events. Four walls of a steel cage spring up around the target, each approximately 10 feet from the bauble. Simultaneously, the tree loses its integrity and crumbles, triggering a series of nearby large rocks to fall. Anyone within 30 feet of the bauble has a 50% chance of being under a rockfall. Rattling the cage loosens two red pebbles from its sides, which explode into a firestorm upon impact with the ground.

Feel free to create your own thematic wilderness traps to replace these, particularly if the players pass through the area multiple times.

The Trickster's Pets
The Prankster Squad are unknowing acolytes of the Trickster, the deity who resides in hex 09.00. Trickster is aware of the group, and will regularly visit them (while disguised) and provide protection from harm. If any member of the Prankster Squad comes to any serious injury or may die, there is a 50% chance that Trickster will intervene with some form of divine magic to save, heal, or otherwise protect them.

Trickster also provides inspiration and hardware for many "pranks." The squad are largely unaware that this is deliberate, and merely believe that they're very good at finding useful materials.

Dorgum the Imp is aware of Trickster's presence, but says very little about it unless pressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Strike Force was robbed!
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mawilson4 wrote:

3-4: A web of leaves and sticks gives way to a pit trap, the bottom of which contains impossibly stinky mud.

...contains what the players hope is impossibly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
mawilson4 wrote:

3-4: A web of leaves and sticks gives way to a pit trap, the bottom of which contains impossibly stinky mud.

...contains what the players hope is impossibly...

Lol. Added. Also made the diamonds fakes that are in in the scarecrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
07.06 - The Prankster Squad

These people would have attracted the notice of the Trickster 09.00. And, they seem to be doing fine so far, so maybe just his benevolent protection if anyone ever seriously goes after them. Maybe just a hiding edge, or fortuitous fog. The imp should certainly know of the Trickster, though whether he has permission to speak of him...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see in the wiki where it is said each hex is 10 miles across, face to face. Adding that in could help a GM decide how often to roll on encounter tables, etc. It should probably go up top somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Lovely connection with Trickster. I added it in my prankster hex.

I also added a bullet about the hex size in "Using This Resource" at the beginning. Nice catch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry B.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So are we about wrapped up with this? I can see Clark waiting offstage with a hook like Sandman Sims.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  28 , 29 , 30 , 31 , 32  Next »  [32] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.