World of Gor: Gorean Roleplaying World Encyclopaedia
These Weird Breads Are Sad
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Wollstonecraft The Role-Playing Game
Maze of the Blue Medusa
The Two-Headed Serpent
Slaves of the Machine God
The Forsaken Kingdom of Fungithrill
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
Labyrinth Lord
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Apocalypse World
Microscope
Vornheim: The Complete City Kit
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Forbidden Lands Core Boxed Set
Passion Guides My Hand
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
The Flood
Warhammer Adventure
B1: In Search of the Unknown
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
The Deryni Adventure Game
Eyes Only
B10: Night's Dark Terror
Deadlands
The Great Pendragon Campaign
T1: The Village of Hommlet
Forgotten Realms Campaign Set
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
Faction Guide
Swords & Wizardry Complete Rulebook
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Gildenbrief (Issue 25 - Jul 1992)
Monster of the Week
The Covetous Poet's Adventure Creator and Solo GM Guidebook
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Microscope Explorer
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
433 Posts
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [18] | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » RPG Design

Subject: Let's Make a Hexcrawl Together rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Because they have no body to go with.
badge
Why don't skeleton ever go trick or treating?
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddillon wrote:
pdzoch wrote:
Draft Cover Concept

Let me know your thoughts.

I like the idea. I only have one concern... Are all of the individual images in the hexes open source or creative commons usable? I don't want our cover to violate anyone's copyright.

Good question. All images came from Pixabay and are free for commercial use, no attribution required.

This concept attempts to bring some of the possible events to life in the hex format like the map.

I considered a central scene or image to represent a key event inside the book, but it is way too early to know what that might be.

I also considered making an old school line drawing, but the B/W format would be inconsistent with the full color hex map already created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
Unified Halfling Theory:

This bay was once the center of a thriving halfling plutocracy. The former capital, space 6.01, was sacked by roving Daikini several generations ago. Since the fall the disparate halfling communities have grown strange and insular, turning away from their traditions for the sake of survival.

Meanwhile, the descendants of the barbarian raiders still occupy the miniature city, cramped in the former majesty of the merchant kings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Breidigan
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, much better than the silly string theory!

Big barbarian, itty bitty house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
rebuscarnival wrote:
Unified Halfling Theory:

This bay was once the center of a thriving halfling plutocracy. The former capital, space 6.01, was sacked by roving Daikini several generations ago. Since the fall the disparate halfling communities have grown strange and insular, turning away from their traditions for the sake of survival.

Meanwhile, the descendants of the barbarian raiders still occupy the miniature city, cramped in the former majesty of the merchant kings.

And on this note i'll take 8.08 too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
rebuscarnival wrote:
Unified Halfling Theory:

Hilarious. I like it. Pending other edits, I'll include a few notes to this effect in the harbour. Nothing of terrible significance, but enough aesthetic notes to maintain continuity.

Incidentally, I feel like I'm pretending to be European by spelling it 'harbour' but it also just looks better to me than the American 'harbor.' This is generic fantasy, so I'm defaulting to Tolkien and calling it harbour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Keeping in mind that 85 sq miles is a pretty big city, even if we assume suburbs etc, I would be inclined to consider splitting it up. Sort of a city of thieves and let folks add what ever they would like.

My 15 square mile home town has 5 lakes, dozens of creeks, paths, sewer tunnels, gullies, ridges all manner of parking garages and of course houses etc. It would take years to loot the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
carlc wrote:
Put me down for 2 random hexes please.

You got 08.01 and 09.01
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Payne
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you put me down for 00.05 and 00.06?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexander Beetle wrote:
Can I have 07.03 please? Forested mountains.

I’m thinking my hex has a problem with spiders, and a nest made in a dead wizard’s long-abandoned forest cabin.

If there is any kind of regular land travel between the north and south parts of the map, it looks as if there might be a trail that goes through 07.02, 07.03, 07.04 and then a pass through the mountains in 06.05 or 07.05?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jodokast wrote:
Againsto wrote:
jodokast wrote:
I'd like 04.04 and 04.05 and 05.05. There may be halflings.

Oh, we are direct neighbours! kiss

How do you feel about halflings and goats?

As in, hybrids?
(I am all-in with goats, and don't mind halflings much. Not gonna make their lives easy, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bhyeti wrote:
Tomcat1304 wrote:
How about a geeklist for all the hexes? So we could take a look at the various ideas in development and search easily for features in adjacent spaces that could be used as a reference.

If I imagine a river running from snowy mountain to the little lake, it would be helpful if my neighbours include that feature as well.

Svenn Longbeard agrees, it would be very beneficial.

Ok, geeklist is open. RPGG Hexcrawl geeklist

Sorting is a bit tricky, I'll try to sort it manually by hex numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could I claim 01.01, please?

I'm thinking pirates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How carefully are we walking the line with regard to IPs?

I have an idea for a band of Kobold pirates who worship/serve a sea-dragon.

The word Kobold is from German folklore but in the sense of a general mischievous sprite - like a Hob in English folklore. Kobolds have become generic fantasy antagonists but the cunning, lizard-like, dragon-worshiping Kobolds that I have in mind are straight out of the Monster Manual.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
DicingWithDearth wrote:

I have an idea for a band of Kobold pirates who worship/serve a sea-dragon.

The word Kobold is from German folklore but in the sense of a general mischievous sprite - like a Hob in English folklore. Kobolds have become generic fantasy antagonists but the cunning, lizard-like, dragon-worshiping Kobolds that I have in mind are straight out of the Monster Manual.

Any thoughts?

It's ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
With all this talk of Halflings and Dwarfs, I'm thinking of making the Eburnean Empire be ruled by asshole Elves, to explain why they are no longer in this part of the world...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Breidigan
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
With all this talk of Halflings and Dwarfs, I'm thinking of making the Eburnean Empire be ruled by asshole Elves, to explain why they are no longer in this part of the world...

Oh please do, the elf haters club would appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
bhyeti wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Oh please do, the elf haters club would appreciate it.

I love elves, but have a feeling this is the only way I'll get them into this Hexcrawl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry B.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an idea for a snooty half-elf concierge** NPC, so they will be at least half-represented.

**with a dark secret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
DicingWithDearth wrote:

We need to stay clear of the line. This effort is not subject to OGL or being released under DTRPG's Community Content or anything else. Concepts from the public domain (kobolds, gods, evil, etc.) are fine. Things from copyrighted materials must be avoided. This'll get released under the CC-BY-NC license, and so it can include things that would require that, as long as you comply with the -BY- part in your hex description as part of the borrow.

Edit: Your use of kobold as a small, lizard-like, nasty is fine to use. It's appeared... everywhere... for decades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomcat1304 wrote:
bhyeti wrote:
Tomcat1304 wrote:
How about a geeklist for all the hexes? So we could take a look at the various ideas in development and search easily for features in adjacent spaces that could be used as a reference.

If I imagine a river running from snowy mountain to the little lake, it would be helpful if my neighbours include that feature as well.

Svenn Longbeard agrees, it would be very beneficial.

Ok, geeklist is open. RPGG Hexcrawl geeklist

Sorting is a bit tricky, I'll try to sort it manually by hex numbers.

Sorry, I am confused now. Why the Geeklist when we already have the Wiki which provides insights into all the adjacent spaces as well? What's the added benefit? I have a sense of this project getting all centrifugal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: the geeklist, etc.

However folks want to organize/cooperate/design is fine by me.

But, when the final PDF is getting put together, I'm only going to pull the material from the wiki page. Everything on this (or other) threads, and whatever is on the geeklist, etc., will be viewed as scratchpad stuff. So, if it's not on the wiki page, it's not going to be used.

Whatever tool you use/don't use to generate your entry/entries, however you do it, when you're happy with the final hex text, make sure it's in the wiki like you want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Breidigan
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
River from 09.07 to 04.08 Lake ?

Trade route/road from 09.09 to 05.04 ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
bhyeti wrote:

I like both, particularly the river idea. If we do it, here's my request to have it go through 08.07 --> 07.07, as we already have a river running between those two (and off my falls into 07.07). I'm happy to enough to include it in either of mine there (including 06.07).

The trade route, if it happens, should stay out of anything mountainous, maybe crossing the river at 05.07? I see this one as harder to pull off through multiple hexes, though. A river isn't going to mess with anyone's plans. A trade route might.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
bhyeti wrote:

I like both, particularly the river idea. If we do it, here's my request to have it go through 08.07 --> 07.07, as we already have a river running between those two (and off my falls into 07.07). I'm happy to enough to include it in either of mine there (including 06.07).

The trade route, if it happens, should stay out of anything mountainous, maybe crossing the river at 05.07?

I think the river is a good idea, and probably one should run from the north east corner, past the city and into the bay.

An interesting commodity is a good adventure hook. A road in the wilderness is a railway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
rebuscarnival wrote:
mawilson4 wrote:
bhyeti wrote:

The trade route, if it happens, should stay out of anything mountainous, maybe crossing the river at 05.07?

I think the river is a good idea, and probably one should run from the north east corner, past the city and into the bay.

An interesting commodity is a good adventure hook. A road in the wilderness is a railway.

I think you posted before my edit, but I'm a little more skeptical on the trade route after thinking on it. I wouldn't want it in mine; and while it could skirt mine, I think it could be more disruptive to peoples' ideas than a river. Still, even if we lessen it to the level of various minor paths - not an official route - it'll definitely pull together the halfling settlements, for example. But that approach also gives "hex lords" the freedom to mention it or not without breaking continuity. Calling it an official route is probably overly ambitious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [18] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.