World of Gor: Gorean Roleplaying World Encyclopaedia
These Weird Breads Are Sad
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Wollstonecraft The Role-Playing Game
Maze of the Blue Medusa
The Two-Headed Serpent
Slaves of the Machine God
The Forsaken Kingdom of Fungithrill
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
Labyrinth Lord
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Apocalypse World
Microscope
Vornheim: The Complete City Kit
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Forbidden Lands Core Boxed Set
Passion Guides My Hand
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
The Flood
Warhammer Adventure
B1: In Search of the Unknown
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
The Deryni Adventure Game
Eyes Only
B10: Night's Dark Terror
Deadlands
The Great Pendragon Campaign
T1: The Village of Hommlet
Forgotten Realms Campaign Set
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
Faction Guide
Swords & Wizardry Complete Rulebook
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Gildenbrief (Issue 25 - Jul 1992)
Monster of the Week
The Covetous Poet's Adventure Creator and Solo GM Guidebook
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Microscope Explorer
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » Game Masters

Subject: Worst Convoluted Maps rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Which game that everyone else out there whom GMed an adventure where the map of a castle that was illogically laid out so much that was convoluted an totally sucked?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Only known as
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that usually the convoluted map works gamewise but isn't very logical from a castle design perspective. And conversely, logical maps are either too big and empty or too small and easily navigated for game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I generally think maps enhance games, so it's pretty hard to think of one where it detracted from events.

In our Curse of Strahd game, the 3D map of the castle they provide is a bit confusing. It's pretty, but not ideal for gameplay. We later found 2D maps that are more logically laid out, and have used those exclusively.

That's the closest I can think of. I'll be honest and say there are plenty of old-school dungeon crawls with (to me) relatively random layouts. I'm not sure I'd have the same love for D&D if my intro to it was a 100+ room mega-dungeon grind. But I'm also guessing a bit, since I haven't experienced a crawl of that magnitude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
I've looked at several real-world castle/fortress maps that make it very clear the whole confabulation was built piece-wise, with no overall plan. You'd be hard pressed to find fantasy castle/fortress maps that made less sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
I've looked at several real-world castle/fortress maps that make it very clear the whole confabulation was built piece-wise, with no overall plan. You'd be hard pressed to find fantasy castle/fortress maps that made less sense.
Heh, I've worked in hospitals for the past 15 years, and there isn't a single one that has any kind of rational sense to its floor plan. They accrete like coral reefs over time with various new wings added with wealthy donor names on them, all shoved together with walls knocked out to make new connections and frequently with different heights for the floors (e.g. level 4 in one section is roughly level 3.5 in another). I'm sure most historic castles were much the same. I would expect dungeons to be the same as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
mbmbmbmbmb
My go to here is the map of the glassworks in Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition. It's in both the original and the anniversary edition. It's the first dungeon. It's big and despite effectively being rooms is oriented wrong on the page the rooms are all at weird angles to the grid. Most of the rooms are at the same angle so it would have been easy to snap the layout to a grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
ctimmins wrote:
Heh, I've worked in hospitals for the past 15 years, and there isn't a single one that has any kind of rational sense to its floor plan. They accrete like coral reefs over time with various new wings added with wealth donor names on them, all shoved together with walls knocked out to make new connections and frequently with different heights for the floors (e.g. level 4 in one section is roughly level 3.5 in another). I'm sure most historic castles were much the same. I would expect dungeons to be the same as well.

You should see the floor plan of my high school. Hint it was built into a hill, or parts of the ground level were suppose to be a bunker if the a bomb dropped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
Which game that everyone else out there whom GMed an adventure where the map of a castle that was illogically laid out so much that was convoluted an totally sucked?

While not convoluted overall. I will say that most of the maps in the 5e D&D setting book, Sword Coast Adventurers Guide are really bad. Some are very murky and hard to read. Some have no locations listed. Some have no grid even. And several are too mall to make any sense of.

Ran into this too with the map of Barovia in the Curse of Strahd module. The map is tiny in the book. There is a bigger insert map. But you have to tear it out of the book to open it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tough
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A2: Secret of the Slavers Stockade is basically one giant hallway with rooms off of it. So if you're a monster on guard duty to get back to your room you have to walk through all these trap areas with mirrors and fake mummies and cloakers all sorts of other stuff. It's also not even remotely fire code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a *simplified* map of Mont St. Michel in France:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Tough wrote:
A2: Secret of the Slavers Stockade is basically one giant hallway with rooms off of it. So if you're a monster on guard duty to get back to your room you have to walk through all these trap areas with mirrors and fake mummies and cloakers all sorts of other stuff. It's also not even remotely fire code.

Goblin Boss: "Right, who put this fire trap here?"

Goblin Slaver: "ummm, well, we needed to block off that passage to prevent adventurers..."

Goblin Boss: "Adventurers?! You needed to block off adventurers?! Do you have ANY IDEA how much our dungeon insurance premiums would go up if the boys from Tiamat, Orcus and Lloyd Insurance saw this here? We'd be bankrupt before the next full moon! Get it out of here, you idiot!"

Goblin Slaver: "Yes boss."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And what you cannot see on it are the hidden crypts.

The first church on the mount was a small one. When the monks got wealthy and had pilgrims, they rounded out the top and built rings of rooms around it to make the basis for the cathedral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
Karkared wrote:
And what you cannot see on it are the hidden crypts.

Right, and there are actually levels below the one you've shown. There's this, and I think parts of this level have something beneath them, too:

I've played in a Three Musketeers game set there - the GM (Paul Dupuis) had printouts of all the subterranean rooms and passages - it was marvelous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the historical lay-outs of *real* medieval European castles, most of them are rather simple and boring, and not suited at all for an exciting rpg adventure that relies on an interesting map. People tend to forget these were not massive structures with 100s of rooms, but simply open courtyards surrounded by walls and towers with one main building that had living quarters. Granted, the courtyard itself might have had wooden structures for stables etc, most of them which have (naturally) disappeared over time.

Most real medieval castles are also relatively small affairs.

There are a few exceptions of very large sites, of which indeed Mont St Michel is one. But these are more like cities rather than a single castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.