World of Gor: Gorean Roleplaying World Encyclopaedia
These Weird Breads Are Sad
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Wollstonecraft The Role-Playing Game
Maze of the Blue Medusa
The Two-Headed Serpent
Slaves of the Machine God
The Forsaken Kingdom of Fungithrill
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
Labyrinth Lord
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Apocalypse World
Microscope
Vornheim: The Complete City Kit
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Forbidden Lands Core Boxed Set
Passion Guides My Hand
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
The Flood
Warhammer Adventure
B1: In Search of the Unknown
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
The Deryni Adventure Game
Eyes Only
B10: Night's Dark Terror
Deadlands
The Great Pendragon Campaign
T1: The Village of Hommlet
Forgotten Realms Campaign Set
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
Faction Guide
Swords & Wizardry Complete Rulebook
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Gildenbrief (Issue 25 - Jul 1992)
Monster of the Week
The Covetous Poet's Adventure Creator and Solo GM Guidebook
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Microscope Explorer
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: What was the first RPG to have critical hits? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rpg_history [+] [View All]
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
The Iron Crown Enterprises website http://ironcrown.com/ makes a bold claim:
Quote:
We are the creators of the Critical Hit, the devilish inventors of the Critical Fumble.

You might wonder: is that true? Were there games before Rolemaster—or supplements prior to Arms Law, ICE's 1980 inaugural release, to be more exact—that made use of either concept?

Wikipedia's "Critical hit" article claims (or did when I wrote this) that Empire of the Petal Throne in 1975 was the first RPG to include the concept of attacks which do extra damage* to represent lucky hits, but also points out that these weren't actually called "critical hits" in the rules.

The earliest game I know of that had critical hits and fumbles with those names was RuneQuest, in 1978:
RuneQuest (1st edition), p. 24 wrote:
CRITICAL HITS
At all times, a strike resulting in a roll of 01 on D100 is a Critical Hit. As an Adventurer gets better at fighting, his chance of striking a Critical Hit improves. If the player manages to roll 5% or less of what he needs to successfully attack, the character has struck a Critical Hit.

[…]

FUMBLES
An Adventurer using a weapon for which he has only a 5–20% chance of success has a 5% chance (roll of 96–00 on D100) of Fumbling. For every additional 20% capability an Adventurer has with a weapon, his chance of fumbling with it is reduced by 1%. However, an attack roll of 00 is always a Fumble. Even an Adventurer with a 100% chance of hitting (actually 95%, for dice rolls of 96–00 are always a miss) will fumble if a 00 is rolled.

That's enough to disprove most of the claim, though I suppose ICE can always say that they invented the "critical fumble" nomenclature.

I wonder, though, were there earlier games that included "critical hits" or "fumbles"? Have I overlooked someone and given credit to RQ where I shouldn't have? Comments welcomed.

* My PDF copy of EPT shows (on p. 32, in section 731) that not only did hits on a "natural 20" allow you to roll all your damage dice twice and add your bonuses once—the same mechanic that 5th-edition D&D settled on many years later—but they also let you roll again, with a result of 19 or 20 killing your foe instantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
The Arduin Grimoire 1: The Arduin Grimoire (1977) had both critical hits and fumbles, both called that.

I'm searching my old A&E for Perrin Conventions stuff, now, as it led to RQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm not that cool.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Early in my D&D career we had a guy join our group who was an experienced dungeon master.

He absolutely loved those Arduin tables even though some of the results were pretty crazy. Like fumbles where you took an arm off yourself or an ally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
In Alarums & Excursions (Issue 12 - Jun 1976), Lee Gold writes "Steve Perrin's critical hit table (as distributed at DunDraCon) is:" and then offers the d% critical hit table. It's even more lethal than Hargrave's Arduin table. The reference appears to be to DunDraCon #1, in 1976, but I'm not sure on the exact date - before May, when issue 12 was put together. This would have pre-dated the Perrin Conventions (or perhaps been an early part of it, depending how you look at it).

Also in issue 12, Richard J. Schwall in his zine offers "DMs still using the hit points system may want to try this new system for handling critical hits...", which were hugely amped up damage.

The phrase "critical hit" occurs with regularity, being used in the sense that we still understand it today, throughout at least the next year's worth of issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, an this tidbit comes from Alarums & Excursions (Issue 1 - Jun 1975), in comments from Lee Gold, "For those unfamiliar with Dungeons and Beavers, the Cal Tech game...They also have a Critical Hit Chart (1/12 chance of receiving one) to allow characters to be killed off more easily than is provided for in the original rules...Switzer calls it a little more brutal and I quite agree."

So, Critical Hits pre-date Alarums & Excursions! Let me dig out my old APA-L hoard. If I can find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
In Alarums & Excursions (Issue 10 - Apr 1976), Glenn F. Blacow offers (in response to magic users casting spells in "close melee"): "I'd simply rule that the fighter has an automatic hit every melee round, and roll for damage on the Critical Hit chart (this excludes being like Hakshasa, which are practically invulnerable anyhow, even they would be..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find critical hits in the D&D issues of APA-L. So the first mention probably goes to A&E 1.

Later, A&E contains references to a critical hit chart in The Complete Warlock - I can't seem to find my copy, though, so I can't verify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, for Fumbles, their claim isn't looking great, either. No less than John Sapienza wrote, on Dec 30, 1976, in Alarums & Excursions (Issue 18 - Jan 1977), "I ignore pluses and minuses on a natural "1" for combat result. It's a miss, and I roll for a fumble too. (On an adjusted "1" from for instance a natural "3" with a -2 sword, you miss, but I won't roll to see whether you fumbled...A natural "20" always hits, and I roll for a critical hit too."

He doesn't offer tables, but from the tone and context of his comment, above, he hardly feels the need to explain either critical or fumble as a concept, indicating they were de rigueur by the end of 1976.

----

Hartley Patterson in Alarums & Excursions (Issue 20 - Mar 1977) writes "...persons of lower dexterity take the difference and add this to their opponent's MR and if you have such a thing the chance of a fumble. Thus a character of DEX 10 wields a flail (DN 13); a roll of 4 or below is a fumble and he has entangled himself or hit someone else!"

Later in the same issue, Sapienza offers "I have not (yet) developed a fumble/critical hit system for the MCT. When I do, it will probably be a fumble on the natural roll of "1-2" plus a second D20 roll of "1-4" with a critical hit on a natural roll of "20" plus a second D20 roll of "1-4." In this context, the MCT is the "Magical Combat Table", or Revising the Mechanics of Magical Combat (in D&D) - so by this time, criticals and fumbles were already being applied to magical spells, too, not just melee attacks.

----

Steve Perrin, in his discussion of "New Perrin Conventions" in Alarums & Excursions (Issue 22 - May 1977) contemplates adapting Wayne Shaw's system of criticals and fumbles for the planned revision: "I think that I might adopt a system of rolling 2d6 with every D20 combat roll. A 2 or 12 with a hit means a Critical Hit; a 2 or 12 with a miss means a fumble" - and goes on to complicate it with a character level factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth - busted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.J.
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
The Arduin Grimoire 1: The Arduin Grimoire (1977) had both critical hits and fumbles, both called that.

I'm searching my old A&E for Perrin Conventions stuff, now, as it led to RQ.

That's the first thing I thought of when seeing 1980 listed in the OP. Those charts stick in the brain after being a victim (and surprise victor) via them so often. As your follow up fairly easily displayed, I wouldn't have thought of them as the first. Much of Arduin was just an expansion to existing concepts and things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z Enopus
Equatorial Guinea
Ebebiyín
msg tools
Blood
badge
...SUCKER!
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
A&E contains references to a critical hit chart in The Complete Warlock - I can't seem to find my copy, though, so I can't verify.

The item image gallery shows the TOC. It says "Critical Hits" is on page 18.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the relevant page from Alarums & Excursions (Issue 12 - Jun 1976), and as always for Lee Gold zines - on pink. Pretty conclusively an unambiguous "critical hit" chart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
ICE did raise the critical hit to a wonderful new level.

Now everyone, roll on this table to see how good your computer skills are.

Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.