The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Knights & Legends
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Lamentations of the Flame Princess (Grindhouse Edition)
Judge Dredd & The Worlds of 2000 AD Tabletop Adventure Game
Tales from the Yawning Portal
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
KULT: Divinity Lost
Dead Planet
Knave
H. P. Lovecraft Preparatory Academy
Dungeon Squad!
Cat: Revised
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Companions' Tale
Infinity the Roleplaying Game Gamemaster's Guide
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
The Sunless Citadel
Dragon Fist
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Orcs of the High Mountains
Scarlet Heroes
Faces of Thedas
We Used To Be Friends
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Nameless Cults
Chicago Chaos
Berlin: The Wicked City
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
Fudge
Dungeon Masters Screen
King Arthur Pendragon (5th Edition)
Mekton Zeta
Werewolf: The Apocalypse (1st Edition)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Polyhedron (Issue 32 - Vol. 6, No. 5)
Project Ninja Panda Taco
Fate Core System
Ryuutama: Natural Fantasy Role Play
Cthulhu Abides
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
The Cthulhu Hack
Exalted Third Edition
Star Trek Adventures Core Book
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
CCC-CIC-01: The Vault of the Devourer
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
173 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: The 2019 RPGGeek New Player PbF Initiative - Call for GMs! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Newbie-Initiative [+] [View All]
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Albia wrote:
Seems like a good time to jump in as a GameMaster!

Whoootwooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooootttt!!!

Such.

Exciting.

News!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Dying of St. Margaret's
A scenario of mystery and madness in the spirit of HP Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos.

The setting is an isolated Scottish island of St. Margaret's. As the academic year begins, the Investigators take new jobs at a private boarding school, each looking to find clues about the disappearance of a close friend. What they find will test the boundaries of their sanity.

The game system is Trail of Cthulhu, a Cthulhu Mythos RPG with an emphasis on investigation, quick resolution and simplicity. The rules are very light and will be explained as we go along, no book or materials required.

Pre-made Character Sheets with a balanced set of stats will be offered, but players are encouraged to freely customize the flavor of their characters, choosing details such as name, occupation and motivation.

On the spectrum from "gritty purist Lovecraftian philosophical doom" to "pulp Cthulhu action-packed adventure", this version of the adventure will hopefully fall around the middle.

Players should post once per day, so we can maintain a good pace (weekends are optional).

This scenario will take 5 Investigators.

• [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

A new GM! Thanks for signing up, Leandro!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

A new GM! Thanks for signing up, Leandro!

Thanks! I've been playing Fear Itself in a PbF here since November, and I really wanted to run a game using the GUMSHOE system. Hopefully I'll do justice to this great one-shot module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Until when do we have to commit? I am considering a game of Knave, but I am not really sure if I will have the time for it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Then you MAKE some time, young man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Then you MAKE some time, young man.

Yessir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

Here's a rough timeline, folks.

d10-1 GM signups and elevator pitches. Now! Finalize by March 7th!

d10-2 Launch Day March 8th or 9th. Signups open to new players only!

d10-3 Signups open to all players on March 15th or 16th.

That may have to be adjusted depending on how this week goes. We need to be able to offer up at least 20 games as a bare minimum.

Come on PbF GMs, we need you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb

I am a bit burnt out on PbF currently, so for the first time in years I'm going to sit this one out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Payne
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to run something like Masks, or some other PbtA game (or City of Mist), but I'm a little unsure whether it will work.

The players have to be somewhat proactive, and be willing to share in world building. The "question" system is helpful for that, but I haven't fully seen it done.

Also, there is a whole lot of "back and forth" required, and it is hard to imagine it working on forums.

Has anyone run a PbtA game successfully on RPG Geek? Well, I'm sure someone has... but do you think it will work with new players, or just end up frustrating people?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
SolidsState wrote:
I really want to run something like Masks, or some other PbtA game (or City of Mist), but I'm a little unsure whether it will work.

The players have to be somewhat proactive, and be willing to share in world building. The "question" system is helpful for that, but I haven't fully seen it done.

Also, there is a whole lot of "back and forth" required, and it is hard to imagine it working on forums.

Has anyone run a PbtA game successfully on RPG Geek? Well, I'm sure someone has... but do you think it will work with new players, or just end up frustrating people?

Just be sure to mention in your pitch that the players will have to do a bit of creative thinking and narration. That should hopefully alleviate any problems. Also, we are specifically targeting players who have never played a PbF here on RPGG. You may very well get players that fit that bill while still having some RPG experience and maybe even PbtA experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SolidsState wrote:

I think PbtA is very good with both new players (playbooks are simple and self-explanatory) and with PbF (the loose turn system is a perfect fit). I was this close to pitching either Masks or Dungeon World. The one thing that made me change my mind was that I knew it'd be a challenge for me to keep the adventure short (personally), so I went with a small Trail of Cthulhu published adventure.

If you ran a Masks or City of Mist game, I'd definitely follow it closely! (therefore, in the words of Palpatine: do it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SolidsState wrote:

I started a MotW game for the 2014 (!) New Player Initiative that is still ongoing. So, err, yeah. Check out the forums - I think there has been a good deal of DW, lots of MotW, some original AW, but I myself have also played in MonsterHearts, The Warren, and NightWitches here. So the game engine lends itself very nicely to PbF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Payne
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
SolidsState wrote:

I started a MotW game for the 2014 (!) New Player Initiative that is still ongoing. So, err, yeah. Check out the forums - I think there has been a good deal of DW, lots of MotW, some original AW, but I myself have also played in MonsterHearts, The Warren, and NightWitches here. So the game engine lends itself very nicely to PbF.

Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely do something, just thinking on my pitch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SolidsState wrote:

I was in a Dungeon World PbF gamefor a month or so a few years ago. It was an old D&D adventure converted over. It worked ok but not as great as I had hoped. It was probably more of an issue with all of us being new to Dungeon World at the time, including the GM. Dungeon World should work better than D&D for PbF. Battles are quicker in all of the PbtA games and it there is a delay by one player, the rest can just play around them for a couple actions before they are missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:

I am a bit burnt out on PbF currently, so for the first time in years I'm going to sit this one out.

Any advice to keep the game going and everyone interested?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Only known as
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:
Bifford wrote:

Any advice to keep the game going and everyone interested?

Probably best to start a new thread for that. It's a good question especially for new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was considering a 5e game, but we've already got two 5e offers, so I'll think up something else. I could help with Fiasco again, but my Fiasco game fizzled pretty bad last year after we got through set-up. I'll think on it and put something up...maybe a short something and a longer one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'll do it. I'll run a table of Knave and have them go to Woodfall. That oughta be a decent introduction to PbF gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rae Zin were here
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
All good things
badge
The BANCE - bear dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think we can have too many of any game systems. D&D (arguably) has more fans/players/DMs, but I think it will all balance up. Even if there is a less popular game system, when the floodgates open up, most tables fill up pretty quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig
United States
Jefferson CIty
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SolidsState wrote:
Againsto wrote:
SolidsState wrote:

Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely do something, just thinking on my pitch.

I have ran two pretty successful MOTW (At least completed and most of the players are playing in multiple other games now, so I consider it a success) games on the initiative, I am not running one this time, but if you have any questions feel free to geekmail me and I will be glad to help out. Good luck with the games, and thanks for running a table. I got my start in Felix's 2014 table, and it has kept me hooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taen wrote:
I don't think we can have too many of any game systems. D&D (arguably) has more fans/players/DMs, but I think it will all balance up. Even if there is a less popular game system, when the floodgates open up, most tables fill up pretty quickly.

Yeah, D&D usually has the most newbies wanting to try, so it balances out if there are plenty of PbF games offered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone think a game of Fragment could work PbF? Has anyone ever played this game in general? This is a random indy 2016 rpg that I think sounds really interesting. It also not anywhere near as crunchy as I usually play but I suspect the super low crunch factor seems good for PbF. What are the odds this would find an audience at all?

Perhaps, Tales from the Loop is a better idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales From the Loop worked really well. My table from the 2018 initiative finished the first mystery and is in progress of a second now.

The rule system is really nice.

Feel free to check out my OOC thread for how I broke it down for the players. https://rpggeek.com/thread/1929807/ooc-tfl-summer-break-dm-j...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

I've never played Fragment before, but it looks like it relies on cards. It is possible to use the GeekDieRoller to draw cards, there is already a few Tarot decks in the system, but it might mean some extra work on your end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.