The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Lamentations of the Flame Princess (Grindhouse Edition)
Ryuutama: Natural Fantasy Role Play
Dungeon Masters Screen
Nexus Life
Cat: Revised
The Orc in the Well
Cthulhu and the River of Doubt
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Knights & Legends
We Used To Be Friends
James Bond 007
Career Compendium
Dead Planet
The Adventure Crafter
Berlin: The Wicked City
Polaris: Chivalric Tragedy at Utmost North
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Usagi Yojimbo Role-Playing Game
DU2: Streets of Shadow
Mutant Future
The Fall of Myth Drannor
Fiasco
Microscope
The Book of the Smoke
A Song of Ice and Fire Chronicle Starter
Thousand Suns: Five Stars
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Cthulhu Abides
The Cthulhu Hack
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
Mysthea: Legends From the Borderlands
Tiny Gods
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 4e)
The Quintessential Cleric
carry. a game about war.
B2: The Keep on the Borderlands
7th Sea Game Master's Screen
Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium
RuneQuest Deluxe Edition
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
164 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: The 2019 RPGGeek New Player PbF Initiative - Call for GMs! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Newbie-Initiative [+] [View All]
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

I've never played Fragment before, but it looks like it relies on cards. It is possible to use the GeekDieRoller to draw cards, there is already a few Tarot decks in the system, but it might mean some extra work on your end.

Good point! The game provides an alternative method of randomizing the cards with dice rolls. Not well defined but geekroller can handle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeeeooooow Scuffling your human's jeans to get attention. Then Meeeeeee-ooooooow. She finally reaches out to pet your velvet-soft fur and you jump into her lap... Purrrrrrr...

Little does your human know what important protection you provide from those Nightmares that try to cage them... those Boggins that drink their dreams...

Cat is a game where you get to play a cat, with all the skills and propensities that us humans find cute and amusing. These same traits make cats amazingly adaptable predators. But, that's not all. In this game, cats know how to fight and kill things that humans can't see. Cats are said to live "one paw in the physical world and one paw in the spiritual one". In the game, cats have their own special kind of magic and can navigate the Dream instinctively. And let's not forget about those nine lives. Being a cat is so much more than sleeping on a sunny windowsill.

So, why do cats protect us humans from these unseen threats? Is it the catnip or the wet food? Is it the cuddly warm comforter on the bed that they love? No, it's actually because they won.

'For as long as anyone can remember, my cat says, there’s been the Contest. Every thousand years, we all meet here in Dream and fight it out for the right to rule the world. Last time, it was us who won. Now, us ruling the world is all well and good, but there’s a catch. The one who wins has to look out for the one who comes in last. We won. You lost big time. You trim off your claws, you dull down your teeth and you don’t pay attention to anything that’s important.'

Cat is an easy game to learn and play, where the everyday mixes with the mystical. It is easy enough for young players or for those new to rpgs to pick up, but still satisfying for experienced ones. The adventure we play will be dependent on the cats that we choose to be. It is a good game if you want to try out a new system that is lightweight or want to try to roleplay from a different perspective.

Expectations - No materials will be required of you to play. I will explain the rules as we go. You get to make your own character, including backstory, so there will be a little more effort required at the beginning of play. I promise that character building in this system is very simple. We will all subscribe to our IC (In Character) and OOC (Out of Character) threads and need to commit to checking/posting in the thread once a day excepting weekends(more is good,too).

This adventure will take 4 players. If you'd like to play, please add a comment directly to this geeklist item indicating your interest.

This game is being Game Mastered by
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

[Mulligans, consider this final]
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ugh, what is the code needed to put a big picture to the right of the post again? I never remember...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wrap the following tag around the picture

[floatright*][/floatright*]

Remove the *
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Only known as
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmayDET wrote:
Wrap the following tag around the picture

[floatright*][/floatright*]

Remove the *

If you replace * the [b][/b] then you don't need the extra comment (there's even a button for that):
[floatright][/floatright]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have decided to run the very indy game Fragment after running a solo version with 2 characters. I managed the play through in about 2 hours without playing much with heavy description. Likely twice about 5 hours with 4 real people F2F.

It is nearly 0 crunch, which I usually dislike. Perhaps, it is the sentient robot motif or the near spontaneous start up but I really enjoyed playing. The random tables create a surprisingly interesting and coherent story at least in a single player format. I will be adding a link to write up later to this post in case anyone is curious. Considering this game was created in a week, it was great!

Anyway, my elevator pitch:

You are a machine that has been reactivated by a faction known as RA. Your memory has crashed and you can only recover your primary function and your current mission. You were built in one of the last robot series created directly by people. As you progress, you will recover memories of your creators stored in your memory banks that will help you along the way.

You have been stored in the Vaults, well below the Last City. Your mission is to restore central control to RA in the Apex of the City. You will explore the city and encounter the agents of the faction known as OSIRIS. They are called Stalkers. They will try to destroy you.

There are others reactivated like you..if you can find them and work together...you will have a real chance for survival. But, what will you rediscover in your exploration? Is RA your savior? Is OSIRIS really the darkness? You have limited free will. What will you decide?

This is a storytelling game about exploration, survival, and fragmented memory. Expect no crunch and no tactics. Expect to improvise and elaborate on your rolls and memories. Expect an interesting AI post-apocalyptic story.

For those potential players that love Sci-fi, quick start up, improvisation (with time to think), and a shorter commitment, this should be a good choice for PbF. It should have a concise and dramatic run to completion in weeks, not many months.

As an additional bonus for PbF, there is no specific turn order in a round. You will often be able to post when you have the freedom to do so rather than waiting for someone else to post first.

I am looking for 3 - 5 players to join. No experience needed. No game material needed. But, you can pick it up.

Join me as a robot agent of RA and rediscover your past!

Edited to add note: I did not have anything to do with creating this game. I gave just become enamored with it.

Edited again to add my link to my personal play through of this game.
Fragment test play
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four Knaves Head For Woodfall

You are a group of knaves. Rogues. Thieves. Adventurers. Tomb Robbers. Ne'er-do-wells. You try to make your fortune in the strange world out there, and wield blades as readily as scrolls.
Based on a simple system that embraces chance, Knave is a fantasy RPG that allows you to start playing quickly, and where each character's role in the party is determined more by their interests and equipment than by any inevitably restrictive classes.
Go out there, knave, and find your place in the world.

Woodfall is a swampy settlement at the edge of the realm, far from the orderly influence of civilization proper, a place where the weird intrudes at every corner. Its residents - heretics and outlaws all, witches, liberated faeries, necromancers and their skeletons - resist the king, still, despite the constant threat of eviction, and flaunt the laws and provide a safe haven for those not welcome elsewhere.
There is no place like it throughout the realm.

What brings you to Woodfall? Are you fleeing from somewhere? Are you on a quest? Are you looking for a fortune, adventure, healing, or just the easy fix offered by mushroom wine?
Let us find out together.

Be one of the four players to join this introductory Play-by-Forum game that asks little of you beyond curiosity, mischieviousness, and a bit of time.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
N.K.Jemisin's "The Fifth Season" is awesome and fantastic.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't really seen info on when the initiative (or rather, the games) might actually expected to start, but I think I should be able to run a short PBF either of Atop a Lonely Tower or Gazetteer (a new game by Kim Lam and Levi Kornelsen). I'm taking part in a playtest right now.

Pitch needs rewriting, I think, but at least this gives you a general idea.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Gazetteer: Duke Arbold in the lands of Kayol Lecky

I, the Magnificent Duke Arbold, am traveling the lands of Kayol Lecky with you, my guides and scouts and burden-bearers. And also Podrick. I have in my possession this sketch of a map, which we shall flesh out as we travel. We will proceed by question and answer. I, naturally, shall ask you questions. And you, my good servants, shall inform me of what lies about me, by answering my questions.

Gazetteer is a game of map-detailing and collaborative story-making, led by a facilitator who takes on the voice of a pompous explorer. This explorer with a big ego and little wisdom drags his hapless staff into misadventure in pursuit of new horizons and material for his travelogues. We're not going to fix problems where we encounter them, this is not a hero's journey. These are the travels of a pretentious nitwit (portrayed by me) and his hardy servants (played by you), extricating their master from the mess he sticks himself into.

Game play is similar to Atop a Lonely Tower and A Doomed Pilgrim in the Ruins of the Future. If you know those games, it might give you some idea how Gazetteer might run.

A game for up to 10 players. No dice, no character creation. This will be a short game, even if we play more than one escapade of the Duke.
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dawn Wall
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
jasri wrote:
I haven't really seen info on when the initiative (or rather, the games) might actually expected to start, but I think I should be able to run a short PBF either of Atop a Lonely Tower or Gazetteer (a new game by Kim Lam and Levi Kornelsen). .
Mulligans wrote:
Mulligans wrote:

Here's a rough timeline, folks.

d10-1 GM signups and elevator pitches. Now! Finalize by March 7th!

d10-2 Launch Day March 8th or 9th. Signups open to new players only!

d10-3 Signups open to all players on March 15th or 16th.

That may have to be adjusted depending on how this week goes. We need to be able to offer up at least 20 games as a bare minimum.

Come on PbF GMs, we need you!

This is the tentative schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And just to make sure- they have to be PbFs? They can't be any other type of asynchronous gaming? (PbEM, Play-by-Document, etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dawn Wall
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

PbF is the tradition. Played right here in the Geek Forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dawn Wall
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Happy GM Day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm three months into my new position and it's... overwhelming. I barely have time to be a player in my current PbF so I'm afraid I won't be running anything this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dawn Wall
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Figuring adding another week to the timeline will give everyone time to finalize their pitches, including myself, and hopefully garner another few games.

Deadline for Finalized Pitches - March 16th

Launch Date/New Player Signups - March 17th

Open Signups for All - March 23rd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not "Happy"
mbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
I'm three months into my new position and it's... overwhelming. I barely have time to be a player in my current PbF so I'm afraid I won't be running anything this year.

I'm with you buddy. I'm about 4 months in and I'm giving myself 6 months to a year before I stop playing the newbie card...

And then maybe time for RPGs again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tell me someone is going to run "Cheat Your Own Adventure" this year. It was such a blast last time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple questions -
1) When picking out a scenario to run for this, what is the general ratio of normal face-to-face time to PbF time? I don't want to pick too long of a d&d scenario to run. I figured that I'd pick something like a one-shot to try here, but I wanted feedback before I picked one out.

2)Is using pre-gens a good idea, or are folks more invested if they make their own character? I know that it takes extra time, so I see the pluses from that.

3)Do most like lighter or darker scenarios? I've got one in mind that is a bit of silly fun, but I don't know if folks would dig that or not. Specifically for 5e, do most players want it for the more serious, epic quests? I'm just trying to know my audience here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dawn Wall
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dimmendarkgirl wrote:
A couple questions -
1) When picking out a scenario to run for this, what is the general ratio of normal face-to-face time to PbF time? I don't want to pick too long of a d&d scenario to run. I figured that I'd pick something like a one-shot to try here, but I wanted feedback before I picked one out.

2)Is using pre-gens a good idea, or are folks more invested if they make their own character? I know that it takes extra time, so I see the pluses from that.

3)Do most like lighter or darker scenarios? I've got one in mind that is a bit of silly fun, but I don't know if folks would dig that or not. Specifically for 5e, do most players want it for the more serious, epic quests? I'm just trying to know my audience here.

1) A one-shot is a good length to go with. Even something that might take a couple of sessions in real time should work. Keeping in mind that some of the players will likely never have tried a PbF game, the shorter the adventure, the more likely that all of the players will make it to the end.

2) It varies from player to player, I think. While many might be happy to choose a pregen, you are correct that playing a character of their own design will likely result in more player investment. Keep in mind, though, that the players will not be required to purchase any materials in order to play. That would mean that you may end up having to do a lot more work to help them build a character step by step. If you have some players ready to go and others still building characters, that can be a real momentum killer.

3) It's hard to answer this one. In the past lighter games and heavier games have both had success. Given the low number of games on offer this year, I would guess that they will all fill up regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Executive Decision by Greg Stolze

Have you ever found yourself thinking, "I could do better than those fat cats in Washington?" Now, you have the chance to prove it. In Executive Decision, you'll use your wits to convince the Chief Executive about the correct course of action.

At the end of the scenario, the President must decide how the U.S. will react to a crisis. To do so, she needs input from her loyal staff. They each have goals of their own, some of which conflict with each other. Can you figure out how best to fulfill your agenda? Can you persuade the President to follow your advice the best path?

The President seeks three to six politically confident operatives. Each of these will secretly be assigned a Cabinet position with several associated agendas, some of which will overlap. Some agendas may involve underlying relationships. A national emergency will arise and polite debate will ensue until the President decides what to do.

Each player is expected to post twice a week, initially to argue for a course of action and then to react to opposing statements. Anyone who does not post in a timely fashion will be skipped. Depending on the number of players, the entire game should take about three months.

Points will be awarded based on how well your agenda is advanced. While invention of relevant "facts" is encouraged, these may be supported or contradicted by further developments in the scenario, which will then affect point distribution. You get the most points for advancing your own agenda. You also get points for assisting the platforms of those who are counting on your support.

Your application will be one sentence stating why you are best qualified to advise the President during a crisis. (Keep in mind that some current Cabinet members have dubious credentials; in other words, you may be funny or irrelevant. You may also send me geekgold to guarantee your selection.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dawn Wall
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh, my! This should be a good one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pudding Faire
A Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition adventure.

'The crow of a rooster awakens you from slumber,followed by the sound of a brass band cranking up.“Roll up! Roll up for the Pudding Faire!” cries a voice from the street below. Peering out the inn’s window,you see a crowd of happy halflings and gnomes bustling toward a fairground on the village green. It is seven o’clock in the morning on the day of the annual Honeypuddle Pudding Faire!' Even adventurers, like you, need a little break, and this Pudding Faire seems like just the good time that your party has been looking for. Halflings are known for good food and good fun. Come enjoy the faire!

Honeypuddle is a peaceful halfling village nestled in the arms of Threepenny Wood, a narrow swath of woodland on the banks of the River Chionthar, east of Baldur’s Gate. Roughly a hundred strongheart halfling families make their homes here, living in burrows in the hillside or in stout cottages along the riverside. The woodland surrounding the village has many hidden paths into the Feywild and is home to a reclusive community of forest gnomes. Each year, the halflings of Honeypuddle invite their forest cousins into the village for the annual Pudding Faire.

This D&D 5e adventure calls for five third-level heroes to enjoy a halfling faire and perhaps solve a problem for the folks in Honeypuddle.

You will not require any materials to play the game. A basic guide is available for free online here. To play, you can create your own character independently, or create one under my guidance. I can provide a pre-generated character if you want, though it is a lot of fun to think about who your character is and create him or her accordingly. Only Good or Neutral characters are allowed to participate, constructed according to the Player Handbook or the basic guide (variant humans are fine).

We will all subscribe to our IC (In Character) and OOC (Out of Character) threads and need to commit to checking & posting in the thread once a day excepting weekends(more is good,too). You should count on the game running for two to four months, depending on how active the players are. Unavoidable absence is acceptable if announced. If you do not update in time, I will 'bot' your character in order to keep the game flowing.

I will wait for at least 24 hours after the first person signs up to award places, in order not to be biased towards certain areas of the globe. After that, the game starts as soon as it is filled up. If there are more players than required, it'll be up to a dice roll who gets in. Please add a comment below if you'd like to join in this adventure.

The GM for this game is:
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

[Mulligans, consider this final]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dawn Wall
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pieter, I hope you don't mind me stealing a bit of text from your entry. I like the idea of giving others around the globe a chance to get in. Mulligans, this is not violating any rules for the new player initiative, is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dawn Wall
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dimmendarkgirl wrote:
Mulligans, this is not violating any rules for the new player initiative, is it?

Nope, you're good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, that's fine, steal away! If there is room in that adventure, I might try to get in (but I expect it will fill up quickly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.