The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Knights & Legends
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Lamentations of the Flame Princess (Grindhouse Edition)
Judge Dredd & The Worlds of 2000 AD Tabletop Adventure Game
Tales from the Yawning Portal
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
KULT: Divinity Lost
Dead Planet
Knave
H. P. Lovecraft Preparatory Academy
Dungeon Squad!
Cat: Revised
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Companions' Tale
Infinity the Roleplaying Game Gamemaster's Guide
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
The Sunless Citadel
Dragon Fist
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Orcs of the High Mountains
Scarlet Heroes
Faces of Thedas
We Used To Be Friends
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Nameless Cults
Chicago Chaos
Berlin: The Wicked City
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
Fudge
Dungeon Masters Screen
King Arthur Pendragon (5th Edition)
Mekton Zeta
Werewolf: The Apocalypse (1st Edition)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Polyhedron (Issue 32 - Vol. 6, No. 5)
Project Ninja Panda Taco
Fate Core System
Ryuutama: Natural Fantasy Role Play
Cthulhu Abides
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
The Cthulhu Hack
Exalted Third Edition
Star Trek Adventures Core Book
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
CCC-CIC-01: The Vault of the Devourer
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
173 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [7] | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: The 2019 RPGGeek New Player PbF Initiative - Call for GMs! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Newbie-Initiative [+] [View All]
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this is going to be useful for anybody, but I created a geeklist for D&D 5e with explanations for the newbie players of my games: Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition Information. I think I have most of the rules correct. I intend to use this list to copy and paste text from for the new players, and just as a general reference for them. If anyone wants to make use of the same list, be my guest. If you want to use it but need me to make an adaptation, let me know. You can also leave comments on the entries on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Pieter. That will save me sooo much time. I've never run a 5e online without folks having access to at least the player manual, so this will help immensely. And the bits about how to post in color are helpful even to me. Very much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rae Zin were here
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
All good things
badge
The BANCE - bear dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
I don't know if this is going to be useful for anybody, but I created a geeklist for D&D 5e with explanations for the newbie players of my games: Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition Information. I think I have most of the rules correct. I intend to use this list to copy and paste text from for the new players, and just as a general reference for them. If anyone wants to make use of the same list, be my guest. If you want to use it but need me to make an adaptation, let me know. You can also leave comments on the entries on the list.

Thanks, Pieter. It will be very useful for me!

I'll definitely direct my players to your thread for some quick answers to the commonly asked questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Havoc Brigade by Grant Howitt

Havoc Brigade is a self-contained system about a brave group of adventurers (mostly orcs) who undertake a dangerous mission to kidnap the loathsome human Prince Holstein. It's a light-hearted one-shot game; it isn't a story about deep-seated emotional turmoil and tortured introspection. It's a story about explosions and loads of big fights and stealing things and causing trouble and, above all, really stupid plans.

You will get to roll lots of dice. You will improvise upon lots of bad ideas. You will win friends (or kill them, it's nearly the same thing).

There are six pre-generated characters. They will be provided along with the rules. All you need is your imagination.

Your application is a single sentence about your most orc-ish characteristic. You will be expected to post twice a week. If you don't, then the Brigade will simply drag you along, until your gruesome -- yet amusing -- death. The scenario should take about four months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dane
Canada
Sault Ste. Marie
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game puts you in the role of a brave adventurer fighting to survive in a world beset by magic and evil! Take on the role of a canny fighter hacking through enemies with an enchanted sword, a powerful sorceress blessed with magic by the hint of demon blood in her veins, a wise cleric of gods benevolent or malign, a witty rogue ready to defuse even the deadliest of traps, or any of countless other heroes. The only limit is your imagination!

We Be Goblins! is a Pathfinder RPG adventure for 1st-level characters in which the PCs play a horde of malicious and murderous goblins!

The Licktoad goblins of Brinestump Marsh have stumbled upon a great treasure—fireworks! Yet unfortunately for them, the tribe member responsible for the discovery has already been exiled for the abhorrent crime of writing (which every goblin knows steals words from your head). To remedy this situation, the Licktoads’ leader, His Mighty Girthness Chief Rendwattle Gutwad, has declared that the greatest heroes of the tribe must venture forth to retrieve the rest of the fireworks from a derelict ship stranded in the marsh. In order to prove themselves as the Licktoads’ bravest goblins, the PCs must complete a series of dangerous dares, from swallowing bull slugs and braving the dreaded Earbiter to dancing with Squealy Nord himself. Yet even once they’ve proven their mettle, the adventure is just beginning. For the ship in question is far from uninhabited, and Vorka the cannibal goblin would like nothing better than a few tasty visitors....

This game will take up to 4 players. You won't need to purchase anything, and no experience in Pathfinder is necessary. I'll provide a selection of ready to play characters from which the players will each choose one. Should you wish to create your own customized PC that is also an option, though it must be a goblin for this particular adventure. I can provide links to rules, answers to questions, or any other assistance you require during this process.

Your posting frequency should be at least once per day, weekends and holidays being optional. Plan on this game taking about three to five months to complete if we can maintain that pace. I'll take the first 4 new players that sign up below. If interest levels are high, and my personal time constraints allow, I may run two tables of this.

Should things go well and you find yourself loving pbf Pathfinder play, I run several long term campaigns, with plans for several others down the road. There are also two follow up adventures to this one that may also be an option.

**Mulls, this is my pitch. Anything in formatting that should be changed, or any details that should be added etc etc? I like to think I've grown 'experienced' dm'ing here, but I have not partaken in this yet.
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
jatang wrote:
Havoc Brigade by Grant Howitt

Havoc Brigade is a self-contained system about a brave group of adventurers (mostly orcs) who undertake a dangerous mission to kidnap the loathsome human Prince Holstein. It's a light-hearted one-shot game; it isn't a story about deep-seated emotional turmoil and tortured introspection. It's a story about explosions and loads of big fights and stealing things and causing trouble and, above all, really stupid plans.

There are six pre-generated characters. Your application is a single sentence about your most orc-ish characteristic. You will be expected to post twice a week. If you don't, then the Brigade will simply drag you along, until your gruesome -- yet amusing -- death. The scenario should take about four months.

Sounds like a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthDane wrote:

**Mulls, this is my pitch. Anything in formatting that should be changed, or any details that should be added etc etc? I like to think I've grown 'experienced' dm'ing here, but I have not partaken in this yet.

Looks great, thanks for joining up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
“For several months, a bandit gang has been active around Huldre Forest area. At first travelers were waylaid and farmhouses robbed; then caravans were raided at night…then even in the daytime. Two weeks ago an entire village was sacked and burned. Survivors described the attackers as maybe 30 in number, mostly men and orcs. Apparently none of them used magic.” (excerpted from Tollenkar's Lair).
. . .
You and your friends have come into possession of an old map and think you know the bandit hideout is in some old ruins.

The scenario is a relatively short dungeon crawl (2-3 months depending on how active the players are). Please announce if an absence is needed or is you need to drop out. You must agree to check this thread at least once daily, unless you give notice of absence ahead of time. More frequent checking will result in a faster, slicker game. I'm usually on >3x/day so it could move rather quickly at times. Players have 24 hours to respond towards the next step of their turn or their turn may be be automated.

You will not need to purchase any materials to play the game. Basic rules are available for free at Museum of Computer Adventure Game History site. We will using basic Melee rules. This system is easier to learn than D&D as characters have only 3 abilities: Strength, Dexterity and Movement. Necessary character statistics could written on the front a 3” x 5” file card. You can either create your own character or we can assist.

We will set up an IC (In Character) and OOC (Out of Character) thread that you should check at least once a day and respond if necessary.

For up to 4 players. Deceased characters subject be replaced by any waiting to join...so beware.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug,
I love that you have "deceased characters will be replaced by any waiting to join"; that's awesome. Real impetus to make good choices in game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

I can hardly wait to replace some unfortunate fool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

For nearly three hundred years the people of the Swirling Lakes have kept peace with the giants of the northern regions. But now the king of the giants, Wosor Gavg, has fallen ill. Rumours abound as more than a few seek to claim his throne even while he still sits it. You've been sent to the Hall of Hragr to meet with King Gavg and ensure that the truce stays intact.

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game puts you in the role of a brave adventurer fighting to survive in a world beset by magic and evil!

Take on the role of a character versed in sword play or sorcery, trickery or truth. Whatever your skills may be, you'll use them to tilt the scales in your favor and keep evil from tightening its grip on the world!

This game will take up to 5 players. You won't need to purchase anything, and no experience in Pathfinder is necessary. You will choose an already made character to play for this short jaunt into PbF adventure.

Your posting frequency should be at least once per day, weekends and holidays being optional. Plan on this game taking about three to five months to complete if we can maintain that pace.

I'll take the first 5 new players that sign up below.

This game is being run by
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we at 20 games yet?

Can we put out the call for brave adventurers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
jatang wrote:
Are we at 20 games yet?

Can we put out the call for brave adventurers?

Launch Date will be March 17th.

No matter what!*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Getting close, GMs!

Who is thinking of running a game, but has yet to express interest in doing so?

Who has expressed interest but has yet to post an elevator pitch?

Who has posted a pitch, but hasn't finalized it?

Who is ready to go?

Who is not even reading this?

Pretty sure everyone in the world fits into one of those five groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be possible for me to create a poll and 2 elevator pitches and run whichever has more interest? I am wondering if my Fragment pitch will get any takers....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Only known as
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

Who is not even reading this?

I'm not reading. But you could be reading the post and not thinking of running a game. If so, you might as well run a game, you seem to have free time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll stick with my pitch as posted above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Payne
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:

This is amazingly useful Pieter! It has actually catapulted my willingness to run games for newbies several steps forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:
Would it be possible for me to create a poll and 2 elevator pitches and run whichever has more interest? I am wondering if my Fragment pitch will get any takers....

Sure. I would put both pitches in a single post, though, to avoid confusion during signups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have my pitch done today or tomorrow! I've decided on Mouse Guard... Just need to write up something nice and choose the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
Inkwan wrote:

Sure. I would put both pitches in a single post, though, to avoid confusion during signups.

Also, keep in mind, new players can only sign up for one game at first. If you have two pitches getting players signing up and then only run one of them, the players from the "losing" game have possibly wasted their shot at first dibs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:

Who is ready to go?

I'm ready! I love introducing an RPG system to new players, so this is right up my alley. My pitch is about done (after 10 edits).

I've been thinking about changing to 5 players instead of 4, but I'm afraid it could be too chaotic, and reduce spotlight time for each player. What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
Mulligans wrote:
Inkwan wrote:

Thank you! Good point. I will adjust accordingly.

Also, keep in mind, new players can only sign up for one game at first. If you have two pitches getting players signing up and then only run one of them, the players from the "losing" game have possibly wasted their shot at first dibs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb
landovers wrote:
Mulligans wrote:

Who is ready to go?

I'm ready! I love introducing an RPG system to new players, so this is right up my alley. My pitch is about done (after 10 edits).

I've been thinking about changing to 5 players instead of 4, but I'm afraid it could be too chaotic, and reduce spotlight time for each player. What do you guys think?

If the game scales well from 4 to 5, you should be fine. Some players will be more active than others so a 5th player might speed things up, or slow them down. Hard to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh! I almost missed it!

I've been away for the past few months, but I'm back. Looking forward to running something. Last year's PbF was my intro and I've been addicted ever since!

I'll run at least a Cheat Your Own Adventure and probably something else if I can settle on something that's not too light/not too heavy. I'll post a pitch soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.