United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy folks... it's time for Season 4 of the Unofficial RPGG MLS Fantasy Soccer League.

https://fantasy.mlssoccer.com/#classic/leagues/7586/join/PR9...

This is a Head-to-Head league. I'll likely post the league to Twitter to see if I can get more teams. I've set the league for 16 teams and will adjust down as needed.

This year there are no prizes. It will be super casual. I'm just doing it for grins.

The MLS season starts Saturday, March 2.

As usual, we'll also talk all things soccer in this thread (MLS, USMNT, USWNT, and more).

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched both CCL games last night.

SKC just looked so sharp. Phenomenal job by Vermes to have them so prepared so early. Toluca looked like the team in preseason mode.

And then just the opposite with Atlanta. Herediano was flying. I'm really not sold on Atlanta's back three. LGP was awful. Miles Robinson doesn't belong as the center of the three. They'll be fine, but it might take some time to gel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FC Cincinnati is going to be terrible.

I'm going to be pulling for them, but they are going to be Fantasy pariah. Well, unless they are so cheap they'll be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FCC is rumored to be signing USMNT player Kenny Saief. I'd love to see this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, we had seven players tonight... so my wife joined.

We'll be an 8 team league.

Good look to everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
If you are not having fun, then you are missing the point.
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been pointed out to me that I am terrible at fantasy sports.

0-1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ccmonter wrote:

0-1

LOL! You did fine. And you remembered to submit a complete lineup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see many games this weekend due to gaming on Saturday.

I did see Galaxy come back to win. Alvarez looks like a special talent.

My fandom with FCC started out as expected. Any team that plays Eric Alexander on the right wing is very suspect. Silver lining? They looked better than they did in the preseason. No, really.

The Sunday games were, IMO, really good for the first week. Maybe Atlanta and SKC should have rested for the CCL...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brumcg wrote:
ccmonter wrote:

0-1

LOL! You did fine. And you remembered to submit a complete lineup!

Yeah you had me sweating till the end with Josef in your lineup. I don't think anyone would have expected that Atlanta of all teams would be the only one shut out.

You also, due to preventing me from racking up points difference, prevented me from going top of the standings for the first time in the 4 years I've been in this fantasy league. Grr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littlechandler wrote:
You also, due to preventing me from racking up points difference, prevented me from going top of the standings for the first time in the 4 years I've been in this fantasy league. Grr...

You're just trying to make feel better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ccmonter wrote:
littlechandler wrote:

You're just trying to make feel better.

Maybe! But the first week is really hard; it's a LOT of guesswork unless you've really followed the league closely. As the season goes on, it's easier to divine the relevant info (which matchups are good, which players are playing well). So please don't get discouraged!

Also: it's MLS! Terrible Toronto blasts the Union, with two goals from Bradley (!). Portland gets Snow-Bowled. ATL is the only team shut out the whole weekend! What a league....

Also also: thanks for organizing Bruce! Great to have a good reason to pay attention this year, as usual!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
But the first week is really hard; it's a LOT of guesswork...

Also: it's MLS! Terrible Toronto blasts the Union, with two goals from Bradley (!). Portland gets Snow-Bowled. ATL is the only team shut out the whole weekend! What a league....

I'm finding the second week to be even harder! Who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the CCL turned brutal. MLS teams lost all four games by a 9-1 total. Two 0-2 losses at home. Only SKC has a chance, but Vermes' "rotation" through the early part of the season is weird to me.

Two US internationals joined MLS yesterday: Joe Corona (Galaxy) and Kenny Saief (FCC). I'm looking forward to watching them, and I'm sure they are looking forward to the playing time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Atlanta is a long shot, but at least they are coming home and they can score. Small chance, but not zero.

UEFA CL has shown us "anything can happen"

SKC should be able to take it at home. Independiente has a few tricky players, but they make a lot of mistakes.

Red Bulls and Dynamo not good enough for the Mexican giants.

brumcg wrote:
Wow, the CCL turned brutal. MLS teams lost all four games by a 9-1 total. Two 0-2 losses at home. Only SKC has a chance, but Vermes' "rotation" through the early part of the season is weird to me.

Two US internationals joined MLS yesterday: Joe Corona (Galaxy) and Kenny Saief (FCC). I'm looking forward to watching them, and I'm sure they are looking forward to the playing time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to see Saief around now! It will be nice to get a better baseline on him. I think Corona is probably not really in the pool going forward? But who knows. He's got to be better than Gio, right?

brumcg wrote:
I'm finding the second week to be even harder! Who knows?
I haven't even started yet, but I believe that! I think it gets easier when you can start seeing which teams are actually bad, which players are a good fit for their team's system, etc., and start playing matchup games. Like, Maxi Moralez playing as a (false?) 9? I have no idea how that's going to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geez, I guess I blew the first two weeks not realizing that my choices didn't get saved for being over the salary cap. I didn't realize the bench players counted!

Pete (fielded a full team just now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the Dortmund game today and Pulisic getting the game-winning assist (well, kinda) and the last goal.

No reason why he shouldn't be called up for the March friendlies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, WTF has happened to Atlanta. I mean, I know new coach, Pity in - Almiron out, but yikes.

Twellman basically called out de Boer on the broadcast.

I told my wife at the 68 minute mark that it was the kind of game where FCC could get a fluke goal and steal a point. You can't let inferior teams stay in the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I certainly didn't do any better picking my team in Week 2 than in Week 1. Yeesh!

brumcg wrote:
Wow, WTF has happened to Atlanta. I mean, I know new coach, Pity in - Almiron out, but yikes.
I don't know - seems like everyone is discounting FC Cincy. Maybe they are just THAT GOOD!

How did Saief look?

I saw the LAFC game, more or less. They look really good, or else Portland looks really bad. (Maybe the Timbers still have frostbite from last week?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
How did Saief look?

Good. He's clearly several levels above anyone I've seen on FCC when it comes to playmaking. The ball to Lamah was excellent.

For the second straight game, Koch played a defensive midfielder (this time Allan Cruz) as the right winger. It just kills the offense.

I'd love to see a Lamah-Saief-Manneh midfield against Portland. I still haven't really seen either Ledesma or Albadawi yet. They are USL carryovers, but Ledesma lead the USL in chance creation last year.

And I do think LAFC is that good. BTW, I've been watching We Are LAFC on ESPN+. Very entertaining so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just hilarious...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
USMNT March roster is out:

GOALKEEPERS
Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge), Sean Johnson (New York City FC), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew)

DEFENDERS
John Brooks (Wolfsburg), Omar Gonzalez (Atlas), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact), Matt Miazga (Reading), Tim Ream (Fulham), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle)

MIDFIELDERS
Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Weston McKennie (Schalke), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew)

FORWARDS
Paul Arriola (D.C. United), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake), Jonathan Lewis (New York City FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders), Christian Ramirez (LAFC), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew)

Still wrapping my head around it. Sargent and Weah seem like odd misses to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, sounds like Weah and Sargent aren't there due to the Olympics. Or something.

I'm confused by Gonzalez. Lovitz and Ream, I guess, are the LBs.

The positions hint towards a 4-3-3 with Pulisic in a 10 role. Also, Adams likely won't be the right back (at least yet).

I'm guessing something like:

Lewis/Baird/Morris Zardes Arriola
Pulisic
Adams McKennie
Ream Brooks Long Lima
Steffan

That doesn't feel great, but we'll see.

If Yedlin plays, I just don't think he'll be in the "Lima" role. I don't think he has it in him. That's fine, I guess. If you moved Adams to that spot, you could then bring in Bradley (good form right now) or Trapp as the 6. I think that's a stronger team?

Regardless, can't wait!

Edit: I like Ream as the LB if Berhalter uses the "RB as midfielder in possession" system. Lovitz did fine in the camp games, but I'd be more comfortable with Ream against better competition. He is 31, though, so hopefully someone younger will step up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
Just hilarious...
That really is fantastic! Beckham held his cool and had some funny lines, I was impressed!

And it seems like maybe Weah and Sargent are going to the U23 camp/games? I do think getting to the Olympics is pretty important, so maybe that makes sense. But they also need to start understanding Berhalter's system, which seems fairly intricate.

The front line is depressing. Hopefully Morris is back in form - and I guess Zardes is doing well in MLS s far.

Is Lovitz really the left back going forward? And isn't Gonzalez older than I am?

Edit: OK, just saw Bruce's most recent post. The Ream thing makes sense. I think Yedlin needs to get a chance in there to see what he can do. But Newcastle has been playing with a 3-man back line with Yedlin on the wing...not sure that brings him any closer to the US lineup though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
The front line is depressing. Hopefully Morris is back in form - and I guess Zardes is doing well in MLS s far.

Weah and Sargent beefs that up if it's a "real" game. Wood, I'm sure, was left out due to form (I'm A-OK with that). Novakovich is in good form, but I've heard that he's not a good header of the ball despite his height. I think Berhalter wants that?

But yeah, it's a worry.

Edit: I forgot about Jozy. If he's healthy, I assume he's in the mix.

vestige wrote:
And isn't Gonzalez older than I am?

He's only 30. I think I'm always surprised when I see that.

I've heard he's been terrible this year (grain of salt). I think Zimmerman deserved that spot regardless.

I wonder if Yedlin is being considered like Klinsmann used him: a late, pacey sub. Or maybe you have him bomb down the right as usual and the RW drops into center midfield (Arriola could do that)? Or maybe Berhalter just wants to give him the opportunity to see if he can do it? Or maybe Yedlin fits in formation #2 which we haven't yet seen?

I dunno. I'm definitely skeptical. He might end up being that player that just doesn't fit.

Edit: On the LB front, I assume Garza will be in the mix when/if healthy. He might be a Yedlin problem though. I don't know if he can hack being part of a back three in possession. It seems like a waste of his talents.

Edit: Matt Doyle of MLS has Morris/Baird on the RW, so I guess Arriola/Lewis on the LW? Shrug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |