Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
Maybe all those d-mids are going to bunker up....

Oh, I don't think it's a maybe! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, the Seattle-Colorado game has already been cancelled because of an impending blizzard. So no double game week for those two teams!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
FYI, the Seattle-Colorado game has already been cancelled because of an impending blizzard. So no double game week for those two teams!

Oh, wow! Thanks Steve! I hadn't seen that yet.

I'm now regretting my 0 Montreal players. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Columbus 1 - Portland 3
San Jose 4 - Sporting KC 1

Lol. MLS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my early take on FCC's DGW in Week 10 (2 weeks from now).

I think they'll go hard at NYRB on Week 9 Saturday. Why not?

Week 10 Wednesday at Philadelphia? Massive rotation. AVOID.

Week 10 Saturday at San Jose? Pretty close to the lineup v. NYRB. I would avoid at this point. Check the Philly game... if you think any players might go v. San Jose... maybe.

IMO, FCC's fitness and depth is suspect. Honestly, I'm trying to love them, but right now... gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
Columbus 1 - Portland 3
San Jose 4 - Sporting KC 1

Lol. MLS.
No kidding...and I had players on the losing sides of both games, thinking they were good bets! Fortunately I was saved by Mark-Anthony Kaye, of all people!

This next week looks like an intriguing one. Lots of options for a DGW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
Here's my early take on FCC's DGW in Week 10 (2 weeks from now).

FWIW, I stashed Waston on my bench. I'm not touching any other players. Deplagne and Hagglund may go twice with the lack of depth. I'm a little less sure about Bertone.

That's one ugly lineup tonight. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun times here in Cincy.

Mere days after Colorado's Hudson blasts his roster's talent in the media and was fired, Alan Koch did the same thing with the same consequences.

I've read a bunch of comments that it was too soon. I don't think so. From insiders, I've read that Koch was over his head in the USL; the roster was just so good, he didn't have to do much. FCC wasn't sure they wanted to bring him into MLS as Head Coach but panicked when the Red Bull organization showed interest in him (not as head coach).

So the mistake was hiring him in the first place.

I'm howling at the names being mentioned as his replacement: Moyes, Pardew, Arena, Kreis. The first two aren't coming to Cincy. Kreis has hopefully learned better and will stick with the U-23's. Arena? He'd want to clean house, and I don't think FCC is interested in that.

I'd place a small bet on Carl Robinson. It will be someone like him.

FCC front office - mostly Berding - is banging the drum that it was the coach not the roster. We'll see.

There's also reports that they are looking to bring in a Sporting Director / General Manager above Technical Director Luke Sassano. Again, this feels like something that should have happened before entry into MLS, but I think this would be a good move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that was fast. Arena is the Revs new coach and sporting director.

I was holding out a bit of hope that FCC might consider him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guess the final score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2-0 DC United?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brumcg wrote:
2-0 DC United?
Even MLS isn't that cruel.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
0-0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a great stat-line! I love it! It reminds me of so many CONCACAF games of the US versus a minnow they just can't break down.

As for Arena: I don't think even he can turn around the Revs. I guess they used to be good? But ever since I've been following the game, they seem to have trapped themselves in stupid decisions. But we'll see. Maybe he can at least turn them into something respectable.

I am led to believe FCC are better off without that coach. It's interesting to see how happy the players are to see him gone. Of course, the same thing happened with Man United...and that turnaround didn't last very long.

Meanwhile, the Gold Cup and Women's World Cup fast approach! Matt Doyle has a nice article about expectations for the roster on the MLS website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curse you and Memo Rodriguez, Vestige!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
As for Arena: I don't think even he can turn around the Revs. I guess they used to be good? But ever since I've been following the game, they seem to have trapped themselves in stupid decisions. But we'll see. Maybe he can at least turn them into something respectable.

I started watching MLS again in 2014, and NE was really good. Lee Nguyen was one of my favorite players, and I thought he should have won the MVP (22G/8A). And then... decline.

I think the rest of the league ramped up and left them behind.

I'm of two minds on Arena. Either he was desperate to get back into the league or he got commitments from ownership to improve everything about the organization. The talking heads seem to think it's the latter.

FCC, I think, needs to take their time. They have to get the hire right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone is retiring! First Demarcus, and now Chad Marshall.

I agree completely with this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FCC hired their GM - Nijkamp from the Netherlands.

I'm still waiting to hear some objective opinions about him. He sounds like someone who has good experience at the youth and senior levels.

I'm just glad they hired the GM before the coach. I loathe when that happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
USMNT v Jamaica tonight. I'm getting excited as the Gold Cup is almost here. Yeah, I know it's the Gold Cup, but these are non-friendlies for the first time since Couva.

Matt Doyle wrote an article which pretty much mirrors my thoughts tonight. I'm dying to see Tyler Boyd. I would be pretty cool for Gyau to get an appearance; it's pretty amazing he's even in camp after what he went through. I'm also intrigued by Duane Holmes as a possible option in the RB/MF hybrid role; I didn't know he was capable of doing that.

His projected starting XI:

Boyd Altidore Arriola
Mihalovic McKennie
Bradley
Robinson Zimmerman Miazga Lima
Steffan

Seems reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gulp

That was awful. I'll unpack a few things and then wash my hands.

If you are going to experiment, this was the game to do it. I'm not sure that was fair to the players competing for positions. I still think an experimenting US B team should have no trouble with a Jamaican B team, but I find that the USMNT often plays down to their opponents.

I was only happy with Duane Holmes sub appearance. MLS ratings had Gonzo with a good game, but I only remember a couple of good plays and much chaos in the back. Matt Doyle name checked Nick Lima.

If I had a drink for every time a US player kicked the ball straight to a Jamaican player, I'd still be drunk this morning. Will Trapp was awful. Steffan was a circus.

So I think we can put the "experiment" to bed for now, and let's hope the system they have been playing gets them through the Gold Cup.

Stu Holden tweeted before the game that Tyler Boyd wasn't going to play because he had made the Gold Cup 23.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed most of the game - I only really saw the last twenty minutes, which I expected to be chaotic because of all the subs. And they were. The US didn't look awful to me from that point, but I guess I am glad I missed the rest of the game when they were! Holmes looked like a mini-McKennie (in which I mean he looks like a smaller dude, not a slight on him).

Interesting to hear about Boyd - I guess he has made a real impact. I look forward to actually seeing him!

Here's hoping they look a LOT better against much better competition this weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gold Cup roster is out.

GOALKEEPERS (3): 12-Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 7/0), 22-Tyler Miller (LAFC; 0/0), 1-Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 9/0)

DEFENDERS (8): 14-Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 10/1), 3-Omar Gonzalez (Toronto FC/CAN; 50/3), 2-Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 3/0), 23-Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 5/0), 16-Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 4/0), 19-Matt Miazga (Chelsea/ENG; 13/1),
13-Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 29/1), 5-Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 6/2)

MIDFIELDERS (6): 4-Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 145/17), 20-Duane Holmes (Derby County/ENG; 1/0), 8-Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 8/1), 10-Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 25/10), 15-Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 10/0), 6-Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 16/0)

FORWARDS (6): 17-Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 110/41), 7-Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 22/3), 21-Tyler Boyd (Vitória Guimãres/POR; 0/0), 18-Jonathan Lewis (Colorado Rapids; 4/0), 11-Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 27/5), 9-Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 44/7)

So... no surprises?

I would have preferred Sargent, Lletget, CCV over Zardes, Roldan, and Omar.

My only request for Berhalter is that he finds a D-mid. Bradley won't last forever, and I think Trapp is wildly inconsistent at the International level. Of course, Adams solves that problem but then creates one at the RB Hybrid.

Edit: Lletget is injured.

Twellman and Matt Doyle have gone off about Sargent's exclusion. They are right. If there was a chance Sargent wasn't going to be on this roster, he should have been with the U-20's. There might be more to the story on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not panicking, you're panicking!!!

Okay, deep breath.

Three goals given up due to three gaffes. Long and Miazga are probably okay. Steffan? This is becoming a pattern. Ream? It is a pattern.

USMNT created opportunities, so yay I guess.

Let's talk about Will Trapp. I love him, but I've seen enough. Why, oh why, are we dependent on Michael Bradley in 2019?!? Ugh. You know Trapp is going to get a game in this tournament too, but I'd rather see Adams go to DM and Lima to RB.

At the international level, Roldan is a better Marky Delgado. He's the 23rd person on the roster - a valuable versatile player. In other words, if you are playing him, you are in trouble.

Whew.

I'll still give Berhalter's system the Gold Cup to prove itself. If they don't win or lose to Mexico, try something else.

I know they are counting on the Guyana game as a freebie. They better get things right.

My starting XI against Guyana, I guess:

Altidore
Arriola Pulisic Boyd
McKennie
Bradley
Lovitz Miazga Zimmerman Lima
Steffan

I wouldn't scream if it was someone other than Boyd, Miazga, Zimmerman, or Steffan. Lima is going to start due to Adams just joining the team.

But... I'd pull anyone who doesn't look like they are completely there.

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adams is out. GODDAMMIT!

I saw the second half of the Venezuela game. As usual, I missed the important part of the game.

The second half, viewed on its own, looked pretty even. If the US had anyone who could actually finish, there would have been a couple of goals. But I'm sure that Venezuela had taken their foot off the gas, so it probably wasn't a fair way to judge.

Even in that context, Trapp didn't look very effective.

Hey, at least the women won a game in a World Cup. 13-0. Crazy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
Adams is out. GODDAMMIT!

Gut punch. Twellman is saying it's still his groin injury that happened in late March. They can't get it right. Yeah, I know that sounds weird.

Anyway, this is a critical moment for Berhalter. You can't really build a team around one player at one position. If that's the formation you want to play, you need a backup or two or three.

And, yes! Go USWNT! But I agree with others, maybe not so much celebration after 6-8 goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. Just read that FCC is terminating Kenny Saief's loan. He had been complaining about playing time and then there was a mysterious injury.

I get that it didn't work out, but they desperately need some quality coming into the squad.

They play Louisville in the Open Cup tonight. If you listen to Berding (Prez) and Damet (interim), they aren't real confident. Ugh. They need a win so bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |