World of Lazarus
Rebel Times (Issue 139 - Apr 2019)
Mythic
Mythic Game Master Emulator
L-1: City of Lies
RuneQuest Pirates
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
Advanced Race Guide
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Enter the Unknown
The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse
Feats Reforged Vol. III: The Combat Feats
Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk
Feats Reforged Vol. IV: The Magic Feats
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Tome of Secrets (V20 Dark Ages)
Tales from the Loop
Realms of Terrinoth
Ironsworn
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Bunnies & Burrows Fantasy Role Playing Game
Dark Streets & Darker Secrets
The Book of Many Things Campaign Exclusive Content
The Witch of Underwillow
Fireball
A Friend in Need
Volo's Complete Subrace Handbook
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Star Frontiers
Fiend Folio
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Attire!
badge
What’s the difference between a poorly dressed man on a tricycle and a well-dressed man on a bicycle?
mbmbmb
A question suggested by

Pawel
Poland
Valley of Dragons
flag msg tools
"Blut Aus Nord is an artistic concept. We don’t need to belong to a specific category of people to exist. If black metal is just this subversive feeling and not a basic musical style, then Blut Aus Nord is a black metal act. But...
badge
if we have to be compared to all these childish satanic clowns, please let us work outwards from this pathetic circus. This form of art deserves something else than these mediocre bands and their old music composed 10 years before by someone else."
mbmb

Do you play music during your RPG sessions? Does the public location you meet play music during your game sessions? What are your thoughts about music playing during the game?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No vocals, not too loud, mostly electro minimal progressive, sometimes synth-wave and the like...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
When I retired, I decided to explore the Seven Deadly Sins. Perhaps I shouldn't have started with Sloth. It's been five years and that's as far as I've gotten.
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I find it distracting. I also think it inhibits spontaneity by channeling a specific mood, making it harder for the group to create its own mood as things develop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3rik de πrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll pick an opening theme to play in advance but I won't play music during the game unless the characters can actually hear it in the setting.

OOC background music during play is distracting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
I started to before my laptop died, particularly in conjunction with an editing program called Soft Rope. Then I got a netbook cuz I was broke and and needed something to fill in until I could another proper laptop and I broke that just recently. I miss it. The mood music added a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Lee
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, we almost always have the local classical station playing quietly at our house, so that’s usually in the background, but I don’t curate music specifically for game sessions, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do. I own a collection of movie & game soundtracks and classical music that can be unobtrusively played in the background. I also have a lot of different soundscapes that I just audibly play to set the mood. I even use music for my board game sessions to get people in the right mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
mbmbmbmbmb
No, never. It creates an auditory distraction that I find very difficult to overcome.

If music is on in the background I have a hard time hearing anything, no matter how low the music is. My brain picks it up and tries to make it important, and it ends up getting my attention and distracting me in a way not intended (I'm positive) by the GM or player putting on the music.

This is the same reason I don't like crowded areas (sporting evens, pubs, restaurants, parties) - because if there is a bit of background noise I cannot hear the people I am talking to very well due to the very distracting background.

As a professor this serves me well, at times, because I can pick up on things the students are saying to each other that they think no one can hear - I hear it! It's not because my hearing is all that great, it's because the background gets picked up and becomes the forefront in my brain. In short - sometimes it is a bug and sometimes a feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
I do, pretty much every time I DM (in non-public settings). My players don't mind. I usually have 3-5 hour-long or longer tracks queued up on my tablet, and will play whichever is appropriate. It's mostly ambient stuff - like this session happening today, they're on a ship at sea, so I have a "harbor sounds" ambient track and a "captain's cabin" ambient track. We all forget it's playing most times, but it does provide nice atmosphere.

I'll also have generic, non-boisterous fantasy soundtracks occasionally. The Forgotten Realms VG soundtracks are generally pretty good. The only time I'll let it get a bit more rowdy is for "battle" music. But it's again entirely instrumental.

So in practice, it's a very passive thing. Usually something is playing, but it's low-volume and ambient, and I'll switch tracks 1-2 times per session. So it's not something I have to actively manage.

I've also gone without, which is fine too. But I prefer to run with something light in the background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
Oh, also, as 3rik mentioned, I try to have something fantasy-esque playing as the players arrive. It will continue to play while we get set up, chat and review what happened last session. That's usually when I switch to the first ambient track, which is comparatively softer and allows us to settle into play. Managing transitions like that can do wonders for productive sessions, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Always....From Basil Poledouris to Black Sabbath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried it, but it really has only ever worked in one campaign I ran, a kind of rock and roll post-apocalyptic Dust Devils game. It worked there, but every other time I have found I agree with Steffan...

sos1 wrote:
No. I find it distracting. I also think it inhibits spontaneity by channeling a specific mood, making it harder for the group to create its own mood as things develop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Always. It fills the awkward silences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3rik de πrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
(...) Black Sabbath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
My group hasn't played music during sessions lately but when we do, we ply LOTR soundtrack for D & D and Star Wars music for Star Wars Saga Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
When I retired, I decided to explore the Seven Deadly Sins. Perhaps I shouldn't have started with Sloth. It's been five years and that's as far as I've gotten.
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
... Star Wars music for Star Wars Saga Edition.

I admit this makes sense. Likewise LOTR soundtrack for any game set in Middle Earth. And other licensed games with decent soundtracks in the source material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
We never do for RPGs. I suggested trying it, but Joe nixed it.

That's ironic. When we play board games at Joe's house, 80's alternative music is always playing at a background+ level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. I find it very distracting and quite irritating, in fact. I freely admit this is personal taste and I got nothin' against those who like it. But, for me, no way.

Perhaps has more to do with my hearing (or lack of it) than anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, like background music. Play mostly John Williams movie tracks interspersed with selections from The Starlit Jewel: Songs From J. R. R. Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" & The Hobbit .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes, but very hard to get right for the entire group. Even with fairly neutral easy-listening music that fits the game period, it usually gets on someone’s nerves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smith
Japan
Fukuoka
flag msg tools
badge
A very irregular head
mbmbmbmbmb
Our main GM usually plays instrumental music in the background at a fairly low volume. I believe he gets most of the music from video game soundtracks, but I could be wrong. I'm kind of used to it now and it can add an extra dimension to certain scenes. Other times it just fades into the background.

I'm going to start running a side campaign soon, initially running The Dragon's Demand next week. So, I picked up the Syrinscape sound pack for the module, more out of curiosity than anything else. It provides ambient sound, music and key events in the module prerecorded. It looks simple to use and the sounds/music seem pretty cool and very well done. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

This product (Syrinscape) seems to have thus far evaded the data entry savants of RPGGeek? It's free to download the app and a selection of basic sound packs. I recommend checking it out to anyone keen to add sound to their sessions. It has a wide variety generic packs and supports specific adventure paths/modules from Pathfinder, Starfinder, Dungeons & Dragons 5e, and other major systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Used to. I have two solid days of 80s music that I'd put on shuffle.
But these days we don't run at my place, so I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hellar
msg tools
designer
I keep a shortcut to marvin gaye's "let's get it on" on my gameing laptop for nymphs, succubi and for when thing get awkwardly weird

other songs include yakady sax, the jeopardy theme, the jaws music, the imperial march, sandford and son ( for when they get to looting EVERYTHING), mission impossible, the jackass theme and go go godzilla

should get the twilight zone them for wierd temples and such
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
Only in the very rare case that it's diagetic (as it was at one point in our Horror on the Orient Express campaign). Otherwise it steps on the game, distracting the players and requiring too much mental monitoring and effort from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
Do you play music during your RPG sessions?

During our current STA sessions over Discord, I'm using a music bot to play this guy's stuff. In the past, playing in person, I've used Tabletop Audio. Would love to find a way to use TTA over Discord.

pdzoch wrote:
Does the public location you meet play music during your game sessions?

Never played in public locations (except for gaming cons – already too loud to have background music on top of the general noise).

pdzoch wrote:
What are your thoughts about music playing during the game?

Love it, as long as the music is right for the genre of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.