Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Ironsworn
Dark Streets & Darker Secrets
Star Wars Roleplaying Adversary Deck: Republic & Separatist II Adversary Deck
The Gathering Storm
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay: Game Master's Guide
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Tales from the Loop
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
DNH: The Haunting of Hastur - A Campaign (OSR Edition)
Ur-Turuk City Guide
Breaking the Ice
Lords of Creation
Pathfinder #031: Stolen Land
HS1: The Slaying Stone
Bloodsand Arena
Alien: FUZION - Stage One: The Basic Game
Alien Resurrection
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Box Set
Lure of Power
Pathfinder #055: The Wormwood Mutiny
Pathfinder #056: Raiders of the Fever Sea
Pathfinder #057: Tempest Rising
Pathfinder #059: The Price of Infamy
Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
The Enemy Within
Wrath of the Autarch
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Blades in the Dark
Curse of Strahd
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
Adventures in Middle-earth Loremaster's Guide
Starfinder Core Rulebook
Pathfinder #127: Crownfall
City of Mist Core Book
Book M
Bunnies & Burrows Fantasy Role Playing Game
Buildings of the Reikland
The Khyber Khronicle Volume 07
04-19-2019
Rebel Times (Issue 139 - Apr 2019)
Monster Manual (D&D 4e)
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Well, only for pregame or post game.

During actual play? NEVER!!! I find it problematic to listen through music.

That said... I've tried it a few times, and the effort was unrewarding. It not only didn't help, it actively hindered play. Heck, even the neighbor's music was a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally we have no music during sessions.
On occasion music has been used to create more tension in a session.

Pauli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philip.dutre wrote:
Sometimes, but very hard to get right for the entire group. Even with fairly neutral easy-listening music that fits the game period, it usually gets on someone’s nerves.

Agreed. That's why I like the intro only version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, never.

I cannot focus when there is music playing. I don't even write with music on.

I can't filter out sounds, I hear everything at once. Which means if a player tries to talk and there is music playing, I can't hear what the player is saying, no matter how soft the music is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddillon wrote:
No, never. It creates an auditory distraction that I find very difficult to overcome.

If music is on in the background I have a hard time hearing anything, no matter how low the music is. My brain picks it up and tries to make it important, and it ends up getting my attention and distracting me in a way not intended (I'm positive) by the GM or player putting on the music.

This is the same reason I don't like crowded areas (sporting evens, pubs, restaurants, parties) - because if there is a bit of background noise I cannot hear the people I am talking to very well due to the very distracting background.

As a professor this serves me well, at times, because I can pick up on things the students are saying to each other that they think no one can hear - I hear it! It's not because my hearing is all that great, it's because the background gets picked up and becomes the forefront in my brain. In short - sometimes it is a bug and sometimes a feature.

Oh wow, this sounds precisely what I have... where I hear too much... but not always what I'm meant to hear...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan, "Son of Hett"
United States
The Triangle
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo Robino wrote:
I've used Tabletop Audio.

OOoooh! very cool! Bookmarking that now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
STRAP IN » BURN ON » BLACK OUT
badge
HIT 'EM FROM ORBIT
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to play something thematically reinforcing in the background, softly. Brains doing what they do, the music will aften line up with the action. (Or at least we remember the few times it has, making it seem significant.)

In the past I've put together campaign-appropriate mixtapes for the players, complete with clues in the titles and liner notes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I'd like to, but I game either at a games club where playing music would be inappropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have a ton of classic, jazz, soundtracks and ambient on my laptop, and a bluetooth speaker to play it. I find it helps with mood setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
GeoffreyB wrote:
... Star Wars music for Star Wars Saga Edition.

I admit this makes sense. Likewise LOTR soundtrack for any game set in Middle Earth. And other licensed games with decent soundtracks in the source material.

If you ever want to do that for D&D, check out the complete digital editions of the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights games, as well as Planescape torment. They come bundled with the soundtracks as separate files so you don't have to extract them from game files. I use those, plus fantasy/D&D themed albums from two groups that do ambient music for haunted houses, called Nox Arcana and Midnight Syndicate, in conjunction with Soft Rope and sound effects files I've found on the internet to create soundscapes. Once again, I really miss having a laptop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the longest time I put on general background music of a suitable type, but have recently been selecting and preparing ambient sounds and scores (loads of them on Youtube) tailored for the session I'm running. I'm finding they help with mood, in the same way a radio drama can be enhanced.

MWChapel wrote:
...From Basil Poledouris to Black Sabbath.

The Conan Soundtrack and Masters of Reality are easily my two most played pieces of RPG background music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, it would be horrible.

I used to love having music on in the background while I was writing or programming.

Over the last 10 years, it's become extremely difficult for me to follow a single speaker's sentence if there's more than one source. Not because I can't hear, but because I hear everything at the same level and my brain can no longer sort out the individual streams.

Very disconcerting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
I went to the zoo and saw a baguette in a cage. The zookeeper said it was bread in captivity!
mbmbmb
This reminds me of an event back in the early 80's when my friends and I were excited by Jethro Tull's album "Broadsword and the Beastie" which we felt was tailor made for D&D. We played it during one of our sessions and found it WAY too distracting (and inconsistent with the scene and mood of the scene in the game -- the music mood and game mood were never in sync).

Mood music was relegated to our character generation sessions. But never again in our game sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly bongos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Strike Force was robbed!
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
We don't any more. We used to sometimes play western soundtracks when we played Deadlands.

When we were much younger, we'd always have the radio on in the background. During one summer we had a party member betray us and the game became one of hunting him down. The hunt was punctuated by the song "Lonely is the Night" which seemed to be on the radio every few minutes. I think that means it must've been in 1981, since that's when the song was at its peak.

It was probably the best time we ever had music during a game.

Lonely is the night when you find yourself alone
Your demons come to light and your mind is not your own
Lonely is the night when there's no one left to call
You feel the time is right, say the writing's on the wall

It's a high time to fight when the walls are closin' in
Call it what you like it's time you got to win
Lonely, lonely, lonely your spirit's sinkin' down
You find you're not the only stranger in this town
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trencher for Life
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All. The. Time. It sets the mood and adds immersion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan, "Son of Hett"
United States
The Triangle
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking of this thread again. For those who utilize music for their campaign settings, it occurs to me that the sudden absence of music could add tension to a scene, as it is occasionally used in film.

For several hours the players have guided their characters, navigating the landscape and social milieu, battling minor threats where necessary. The GM has been playing scene-appropriate music the entire time. At long last, the characters find the location of the last informant or clue that will finally lead them to The Villain. They enter the location; everything seems rather ordinary. The door closes behind them. Suddenly the music stops. The GM declares, "Make a perception check."

Or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom B
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

I'll usually have an opening theme to signal the start of the game, and a closing theme to mark the end. (The reaction to the closing music at an unexpected cliffhanger is very satisfying.)

In between, I'll usually have ambient music. Low volume, it helps cover up more distracting background noise (the television upstairs, dogs barking, etc.) I'll occasionally have more prominent music if appropriate, but that's rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.