The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Knights & Legends
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Lamentations of the Flame Princess (Grindhouse Edition)
Judge Dredd & The Worlds of 2000 AD Tabletop Adventure Game
Tales from the Yawning Portal
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
KULT: Divinity Lost
Dead Planet
Knave
H. P. Lovecraft Preparatory Academy
Dungeon Squad!
Cat: Revised
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Companions' Tale
Infinity the Roleplaying Game Gamemaster's Guide
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
The Sunless Citadel
Dragon Fist
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Orcs of the High Mountains
Scarlet Heroes
Faces of Thedas
We Used To Be Friends
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Nameless Cults
Chicago Chaos
Berlin: The Wicked City
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
Fudge
Dungeon Masters Screen
King Arthur Pendragon (5th Edition)
Mekton Zeta
Werewolf: The Apocalypse (1st Edition)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Polyhedron (Issue 32 - Vol. 6, No. 5)
Project Ninja Panda Taco
Fate Core System
Ryuutama: Natural Fantasy Role Play
Cthulhu Abides
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
The Cthulhu Hack
Exalted Third Edition
Star Trek Adventures Core Book
Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of
CCC-CIC-01: The Vault of the Devourer
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
HiveGod wrote:
enduran wrote:
The latter kind of encounters didn't make sense to me, because I used to take "encounter" to mean "fight." It didn't make sense for me that deer would fight [...]

My brain hit this like a sweet jump at 120 mph and soared from crazed deer over 20 schoolbuses full of escalating adventure and ending with the bone-crunching ramp of screaming spacetime rift where the adventureres are crying and one of them yells I LOVE YOU to the one they're using to sew it shut.

Exactly my point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally I only use random to decide which PC an NPC minion attacks.

Running my recent AD&D2 game I thought I'd try using a table to generate a random spell. So... a Wish later and two PCs are Undead.

So now I can't decide if random tables are good or bad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ugavine wrote:

Running my recent AD&D2 game I thought I'd try using a table to generate a random spell. So... a Wish later and two PCs are Undead.

So now I can't decide if random tables are good or bad :what:

Clearly some people are thrilled by any gonzo result that might arise, so I don't know what part of that you consider "bad."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Gorski
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Get my Mac and iOS software for Traveller at http://naasirka.weebly.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
In my RPG-related apps I obviously use random number generators, but in some places I take pity on the user and let them change the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the early days I used random tables when planning every session, especially for dungeon generation. But, if something didn't fit, I'd re-roll. This practice diminished as I got better at planning the player's environment.

I developed "focused" random tables for my campaign-style adventures; each region had its own subset of possible encounters and events. Using weighted tables and reference charts, I also plotted out upcoming weather for a month or so at a time.

Lately I use randomisation as inspiration. After I bought my nieces a set for Christmas, I bought my own core and expansion sets of Rory's Story Cubes to jog my stale imagination. The symbols can be interpreted literally or figuratively in any order, offering a welcome creative stimulus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmbmb
Ugavine wrote:

So now I can't decide if random tables are good or bad

I think of them more like a menu. Pick something you like or, if it all looks good, close your eyes and point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
philip.dutre wrote:
As GM, I often roll on a random table 3 times, and pick the result that suits the story or the mood or my appetite at that moment best.

The old "High, Low, Average" technique from resource management, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't use any random tables, as such, I do use a variant on the GURPS NPC Reaction Table: make a "situational roll," adjusting up for player roleplaying and cleverness and appropriate Gifts, and down for the inverse, and see how a previously unspelled-out NPC reacts. I abide by the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes are back.
badge
A termite walks into a bar and asks, "Is the bar tender here?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Often, but everything is subject to the bump of the cosmic force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:

How often do you use random generators in your games and do you fell bound to abide by the results, or just use it as a starting point?

When used outside of Session, as a springboard, fudging allowed.

When used in an adventure, used as rolled most of the time. As in, almost all the time. Sometimes (such as in Pendragon) specific events are specified for certain times, and the random is ignored for those particular times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been a very long time since I've played an RPG that actually HAS any random generators hanging around for me to use. I suppose there are tons lurking out there, and its quite possible I'd even find some useful, but I can't imagine taking the time to sift through stuff to find them.

When I was running monsters of the week, I did number the various 'motivations' to randomly generate motivations, though I think I only ever used it for bystanders. A handy way of 'hey, what's this random person the PCs are interacting with likely to do?'. In theory at least. In practice, seems like I always rolled 'gossip', which is often convenient, but got a bit repetitive. Also, the motivations really don't do much of anything for me inspirationally, so I didn't wind up finding it all that useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
philip.dutre wrote:
As GM, I often roll on a random table 3 times, and pick the result that suits the story or the mood or my appetite at that moment best.

The old "High, Low, Average" technique from resource management, eh?

More like the ‘median of three random picks’ as in algorithm design.

Same thing, I guess. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
When I was running monsters of the week, I did number the various 'motivations' to randomly generate motivations, though I think I only ever used it for bystanders. A handy way of 'hey, what's this random person the PCs are interacting with likely to do?'. In theory at least. In practice, seems like I always rolled 'gossip', which is often convenient, but got a bit repetitive. Also, the motivations really don't do much of anything for me inspirationally, so I didn't wind up finding it all that useful.
Was this just a random thing, or do you think the table was just too short?

I find that a good random table has to be long enough that it is unlikely you'll see the same result within a reasonable amount of time (unless prior history should affect the result). "Reasonable" depends on the context, of course; something like an NPC reaction table should rarely give the same result in the same session, for example. "Prior history" would be something like a random weather table, where the weather yesterday should probably have some influence on the weather toady.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like random tables, but only sometimes go by the table, and sometimes use the result as inspiration for my own idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often start with the attitude of thinking I don't need them. (Just make something up!) But I have found they can jumpstart some fantastic ideas and scenarios. So I try to make myself use them even if I don't think it's needed just to see what happens. But the story is the thing so I will only use the randomly generated material if it intrigues or facilitates a good story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I never hesitate to roll randomly as often as necessary until I get the results that I want. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
StormKnight wrote:
Was this just a random thing, or do you think the table was just too short?

Well, as mentioned, it wasn't intended as a random table; I just numbered the motivations and used them that way. IIRC, there were 8 motivations for bystanders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Gillespie

Sarles
North Dakota
msg tools
My game is all about the random tables. Most of my tables have multiple results per entry, though, and in such cases the DM is entitled to pick from among these on the basis of which best advances the story. And if a result adversely affecting the players doesn't strictly meet the preconditions set out for it, it is null and void, whereas an absurd result that favours the players normally calls for a reroll. Random tables pervade every nook and cranny of my game (I like to think there is a table to cover every eventuality (that would contribute to the plot, at least), or that there will be some day).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.