The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Lamentations of the Flame Princess (Grindhouse Edition)
Ryuutama: Natural Fantasy Role Play
Dungeon Masters Screen
Nexus Life
Cat: Revised
The Orc in the Well
Cthulhu and the River of Doubt
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Knights & Legends
We Used To Be Friends
James Bond 007
Career Compendium
Dead Planet
The Adventure Crafter
Berlin: The Wicked City
Polaris: Chivalric Tragedy at Utmost North
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Usagi Yojimbo Role-Playing Game
DU2: Streets of Shadow
Mutant Future
The Fall of Myth Drannor
Fiasco
Microscope
The Book of the Smoke
A Song of Ice and Fire Chronicle Starter
Thousand Suns: Five Stars
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Cthulhu Abides
The Cthulhu Hack
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
Mysthea: Legends From the Borderlands
Tiny Gods
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 4e)
The Quintessential Cleric
carry. a game about war.
B2: The Keep on the Borderlands
7th Sea Game Master's Screen
Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium
RuneQuest Deluxe Edition
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
64 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: QOTD MAR 8: What is your favorite magic word? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: qotd [+] Off_the_Wall [+] [View All]
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Layheehoo
badge
What was Yoda's last name?
mbmbmbmbmb
VampireQueen wrote:
pdzoch wrote:
"Ala Peanut Butter Sandwiches" was a bizarre one I remember from my childhood.

Sesame Street's Amazing Mumford, I believe?

That is correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hein Ragas
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
designer
[Insert witty message here]
badge
[Insert another witty message here]
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Though honestly, if I'm using a magic user in an RPG, I prefer to create my own magic words!

When my partner played the wizard in the D&D5 Starter Set adventure, her favourite magic formula when casting the Ray of Frost cantrip was "Adiabatic Expansion!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fubfubfub wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
Though honestly, if I'm using a magic user in an RPG, I prefer to create my own magic words!

When my partner played the wizard in the D&D5 Starter Set adventure, her favourite magic formula when casting the Ray of Frost cantrip was "Adiabatic Expansion!"

Thermodynamics still is magic to most engineering students ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SHAZAM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Ananasakäämä" by Timo Taikuri, the magician of Finland's most popular children's show. He was not unlike Mario:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
BaZINGa!

or

Riddikulus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

This is something that my DM encouraged us to do for my main 5e game and I couldn't be happier. For each spell, I have specific verbal and somatic components. It makes the gameplay so much richer to say "Huzzah" and do some finger guns towards the dm than to just be like "Magic Missle for 10 damage." Most of my magic words are just bastardized latin because they sound magical enough without being too alien.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
fubfubfub wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

There is a spell in 2nd edition AD&D (Tome of Magic, I believe) called "There/Not There." It's a spell that makes an item appear to be present for 50% of spellcasters and not present for 50% of spellcasters.

The material component is a small piece of cat fur sealed in an iron box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Zoshak
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'TCELES B HSUP'

cmdaltgamer wrote:
avada kedavra worth a mention. Dunno if it was intended, but I think it is smart how it sounds like abrakadabra. As though this spell was so infamous in the wizarding world, that it bled into the muggle culture, and now thouasands of children's party magicians are unknowingly almost saying killing curses

Agreed on all points; 'avada kedavra' gets honorable mention for sure. Fairly certain it was intentional; Rowling is genius for that sort of light-touch wordplay (see also 'Gobbledegook' as the name of the language of goblins).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dmz2112 wrote:
'TCELES B HSUP'

cmdaltgamer wrote:
avada kedavra worth a mention. Dunno if it was intended, but I think it is smart how it sounds like abrakadabra. As though this spell was so infamous in the wizarding world, that it bled into the muggle culture, and now thouasands of children's party magicians are unknowingly almost saying killing curses

Agreed on all points; 'avada kedavra' gets honorable mention for sure. Fairly certain it was intentional; Rowling is genius for that sort of light-touch wordplay (see also 'Gobbledegook' as the name of the language of goblins).

I don’t think the term gobbledygook or its association with goblins is due to JKR either ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Zoshak
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philip.dutre wrote:
I don’t think the term gobbledygook or its association with goblins is due to JKR either ...

If you can find a definitive earlier use in this context, I'd be grateful to see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dmz2112 wrote:
philip.dutre wrote:

If you can find a definitive earlier use in this context, I'd be grateful to see it.

Simply do an etymology search. The first few google hits already give you some useful pointers. Apparantly the term was coined in 1946, lthough there was probably not a connection with goblins yet ;-)

There was a comic named `gobbledigook’ involving a goblin which was published in White Dwarf during the 80s.
http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.com/2012/06/warhammers-comic...
Linking ‘gobbledigook’ with ‘goblins’ was trivial to games workshop fans during that area.

I’m not saying JKR ‘stole’ the idea, but she was definitely not the first to make that association.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Zoshak
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philip.dutre wrote:
dmz2112 wrote:
philip.dutre wrote:

Simply do an etymology search. The first few google hits already give you some useful pointers. Apparantly the term was coined in 1946, lthough there was probably not a connection with goblins yet ;-)

There was a comic named `gobbledigook’ involving a goblin which was published in White Dwarf during the 80s.
http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.com/2012/06/warhammers-comic...
Linking ‘gobbledigook’ with ‘goblins’ was trivial to games workshop fans during that area.

I’m not saying JKR ‘stole’ the idea, but she was definitely not the first to make that association.

The association is, as you say, trivial. I'm specifically referring to its use as the name of a species language for goblins.

For clarity, I'm not interested because I'm trying to defend Rowling's genius; I'm interested from a game development standpoint. I have /shamelessly/ lifted this concept from the Potterverse in my own work and would love to find out that I am less shameless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.