The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Lamentations of the Flame Princess (Grindhouse Edition)
Ryuutama: Natural Fantasy Role Play
Dungeon Masters Screen
Nexus Life
Cat: Revised
The Orc in the Well
Cthulhu and the River of Doubt
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Knights & Legends
We Used To Be Friends
James Bond 007
Career Compendium
Dead Planet
The Adventure Crafter
Berlin: The Wicked City
Polaris: Chivalric Tragedy at Utmost North
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Usagi Yojimbo Role-Playing Game
DU2: Streets of Shadow
Mutant Future
The Fall of Myth Drannor
Fiasco
Microscope
The Book of the Smoke
A Song of Ice and Fire Chronicle Starter
Thousand Suns: Five Stars
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Cthulhu Abides
The Cthulhu Hack
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
Mysthea: Legends From the Borderlands
Tiny Gods
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 4e)
The Quintessential Cleric
carry. a game about war.
B2: The Keep on the Borderlands
7th Sea Game Master's Screen
Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium
RuneQuest Deluxe Edition
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Layheehoo
badge
What was Yoda's last name?
mbmbmbmbmb
A question suggested by

Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If you were to recommend one published 'hex crawl' to read and/or to play, which would it be and why?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's The Northern Tier. It's free in PDF and has lots of interesting tables for encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmbmb
I suspect making the hex crawl is more fun the playing it. It is not that much fun to wander around not finding anything. The reverse case of tripping over adventure every time you roll the weather sort of defeats the hexcrawl format.

DCC #084: Peril on the Purple Planet

Is by far the best published hexcrawl I have read, and notable for being fairly small in scope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I have nothing to add, except that I like this question and will be watching replies closely. I read The Northern Tier in prep for our community hex crawl, but have limited experience outside of that.

The concept of these type of crawls is awesome to me, though, and I hope to eventually build out a full one myself (and run it). Getting different examples is a great early step toward that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Constantius
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
X1 Isle of Dread. The granddaddy of them all. It’s not in the same league as B2 Keep on the Borderlands, but my friends and I still had great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Tomb of Annihilation because it has good puzzles to figure out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy: Master of the Amulets (for TFT)

Sci-Fi: Mission on Mithral (for Classic Traveller)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desert of Desolation. I have a love/hate relationship with it. Mostly because we played it in RoleMaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
JohnConstantius wrote:
X1 Isle of Dread. The granddaddy of them all. It’s not in the same league as B2 Keep on the Borderlands, but my friends and I still had great fun.

I agree. I didn't use to think of it as a "hex crawl," and I still don't think that, taken literally, is the best use of it, but I reread it recently as more of an environment than any kind of plotted adventure and I really saw some of the potential it held.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomb of Annihilation. It has something most hexcrawls lack - an ending.

A close second whilst not being a true hexcrawl in the sense most hexes are inaccessible is Cyclopean Deeps because its actually very imaginative
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I have a couple new ones on my Drive Thru Wishlist, thanks all!

jodokast wrote:
It has something most hexcrawls lack - an ending.

Heh. This does seem to be a feature (or lack of one) in most older crawls. I wonder if it's because there was more of a focus on player-generated and/or organic arcs (so there'd be a "Master Plot" in most groups, it's just not codified in the text). Or if it really was just an open-ended exploration. Maybe some of the OSR people here can shed some light on that?

One more recent one I saw (linked on Twitter from a Drive Thru creator) boasted that it was OS style, but with an overarching plot you could hang on the crawl's framework if needed. Most modern audiences, I suspect, would need a similarly cohesive element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Couto
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dark of Hot Springs Island is so good! I like the tropical theme, it's uncommon in fantasy RPGs. The book kind of forces you to use its generator tables, though, which took me a while to adapt to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
The forthcoming RPGG Community Hexcrawl isn't even published yet but it's already my all-time favorite.

By comparison, everything else is crap! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Across the Bright Face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although, I don't recall ever playing a hex crawl before but Slumbering Ursine Dunes looks pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:
Although, I don't recall ever playing a hex crawl before but Slumbering Ursine Dunes looks pretty good.

His point crawl stuff is pretty brilliant. I have incorporated most of it into my hex crawls as either short cuts or as short-hand for large sites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I truly don't know, haven't done any of those in decades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
X1: The Isle of Dread

Still rockin it after all these years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Zoshak
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember being impressed by the Volturnus arc of Star Frontiers adventures in my youth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
rebuscarnival wrote:
I suspect making the hex crawl is more fun the playing it. It is not that much fun to wander around not finding anything. The reverse case of tripping over adventure every time you roll the weather sort of defeats the hexcrawl format.

I tend to consider hexcrawls to be joiners more than anything - they are the adventuring wilderness that joins together the urban adventure and the dungeon adventure. Rather than simply saying that the characters go to a destination, have some interesting stuff along the way as well, a world for them to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azukail wrote:
rebuscarnival wrote:

I tend to consider hexcrawls to be joiners more than anything - they are the adventuring wilderness that joins together the urban adventure and the dungeon adventure. Rather than simply saying that the characters go to a destination, have some interesting stuff along the way as well, a world for them to explore.

That's what I always though until I saw this D&D 1st edition style OSR game Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures and this cooperative world building Further Afield book for this game. Further Afield takes an approach to hex crawls where each player basically describes a place they would like to see (not unlike our rpggeek "Create a hex crawl" but with about 2 -3 hexes described for a standard game's worth of players to start. Once the first hex is explored, the group does another round of hex creation if they want so that there is always more to do.

The great thing here, is that I think you should get to use the approach to DMin'g
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
is always using (and seems to work great) but in-game!

Plus, the system allows for plenty of surprise as a secret roll is used to determine how accurate the description is as it came from either a rumor (Charisma roll), observation (Wisdom roll), or research (Intelligence roll). This means even the player that described the hex will often find things not quite what they expected but with the type of encounters and adventure they wanted.

Obviously, I am dying to try it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sounds neat! I might quibble with calling it a crawl if crawl you do not. I think that's the appeal of the point crawl, which is a great way to get 'crawl but lighter than the classic format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rebuscarnival wrote:
Sounds neat! I might quibble with calling it a crawl if crawl you do not. I think that's the appeal of the point crawl, which is a great way to get 'crawl but lighter than the classic format.

Ah, indeed! You can also add that level of detail into the hexes. For example, all players could add something into a nearby hex but it probably is expected to be more of a point crawl. So, is my other earlier example of the ...Dunes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played far more board game hex crawls than RPGs (woo Barbarian Prince!)

That said, the one hex crawl I have played was a Dungeon World hex crawl - and I'm almost 100% certain that was not published but made up by the GM for our game... so I've got nothing for this. Despite loving hex crawls... looks like I now have a list of ones to try out!

Actually, now that I think about it, I've also created more RPG hex crawls then I've played... huh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.