The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Lamentations of the Flame Princess (Grindhouse Edition)
Ryuutama: Natural Fantasy Role Play
Dungeon Masters Screen
Nexus Life
Cat: Revised
The Orc in the Well
Cthulhu and the River of Doubt
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Knights & Legends
We Used To Be Friends
James Bond 007
Career Compendium
Dead Planet
The Adventure Crafter
Berlin: The Wicked City
Polaris: Chivalric Tragedy at Utmost North
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Usagi Yojimbo Role-Playing Game
DU2: Streets of Shadow
Mutant Future
The Fall of Myth Drannor
Fiasco
Microscope
The Book of the Smoke
A Song of Ice and Fire Chronicle Starter
Thousand Suns: Five Stars
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Cthulhu Abides
The Cthulhu Hack
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
Mysthea: Legends From the Borderlands
Tiny Gods
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 4e)
The Quintessential Cleric
carry. a game about war.
B2: The Keep on the Borderlands
7th Sea Game Master's Screen
Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium
RuneQuest Deluxe Edition
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Layheehoo
badge
What was Yoda's last name?
mbmbmbmbmb
A question suggested by

Jenna Stew
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

How do you organize your RPG books,sheets, dice, etc? (Dead tree version not PDFs)

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming

Nashville
Tennessee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My RPG books are generally organized by system, then subject matter, then publisher. The multi-genre universal systems like GURPS (3rd Edition) and HERO System (4th Edition) muck this up however. It's all very rough and I don't have any hard and fast rules. I abandoned any attempt to organize boxed sets because A) they take up so much room: it's easier to just consolidate them, and B) they are relatively few.

No organization for dice, they're all just thrown in a tin box. I do have one dice-cataloging tendency however: no pips. Dice with pips go with the Cribbage board, Poker chips, and other "respectable" games which are weirdly in a totally different part of the house. Strange how the mind works...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I organize my RPG books by increasing time periods (Ancient -> Medieval -> Renaissance, etc) and within a time period by the number, thickness of books (small booklets to the left, big books to the right).

Sheets are in folders

Dice are in boxes, and within boxes in thematic bags (usually by color).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have a small collection of rpg material, having culled most of my collection over the years, and only keeping the "real good stuff" ;-)

Below you see the small bookcase for rpg's in my gaming room (see also http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/2014/07/my-new-wargaming-room-pa... )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Duck and Cover!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly by genre or at least that was my idea. But as I look at my shelves I notice it is more like publisher then chronologically by release date. Then I look at my D&D 4e books and it's alphabetical. I guess I don't have an actual system but my shelves look organized and very pleasing to the (my) eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
"Organise" is a strong word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
My group puts its character sheets in folders and we also use dice bins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
These days, books are mostly on my external HDs, organized in folders first by game/system, then by type of resource. I know OP says no PDFs, but that trend has informed my physical organization. I've only got about half a dozen physical RPG books at any given point, so organization isn't really a concern. Between those, various Paizo maps (which I may also phase out now that I'm creating my own maps), and a couple boxes of small props, minis, note cards and tokens, everything I own for RPGs fits snugly on a single row of an IKEA shelf. Digitizing materials really is where it's at with this stuff. Whatever I've lost in not having an eye-popping physical collection, I've gained many times over in other ways.

Papers, same. I do occasionally print out handouts or characters for non-D&D one-shots. But that's rare.

I need to hit a limit on dice. There's a point of diminishing returns on purchases, and it's not long into those purchases. I've got four sets of GMing dice, each with four 7-dice sets of the same type (so there's 28 dice in each "set"). And a couple others for playing. Plus miscelany, it's probably in the neighborhood of 180-200 dice total. Too many. I may start to rotate sets out of my collection as I buy new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Made you look!
mbmbmbmbmb
trystero11 wrote:
"Organize" is a strong word.

This is my organization style. Everything is sort of organized by RPG but sections for any given RPG are just wherever there was room at the time. Boxed sets are kind of piled next to my bookcase.

Papers, should I have any, live in my game bag when relevant or my stay-at-home organizer afterward.

Dice live in bags that seem to be squirreled around my house at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL...organize...I try to keep the IPs together. All other rpg related stuff is all over my apartment and my parents' house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no organisation with my RPG book. Just don't have the room for any organised system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on if the system is generic (or just used a lot) and doesn't have a lot of core books, or if the system has a lot of core books. In the former case (like Fate Core/PbtA) I organize all of the books for that system together. In the latter case, I organize all of the books for the one system together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torches! Pitchforks!
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
My RPG books are on an Ikea Hemnes book shelf. I like the Hemnes for books since the shelves are nailed from the back, so the shelves don't sag. They are "organized" by RPG, by edition, core books first (alpha), then supplements (alpha).

Papers are different. "Historical" papers (old character sheets, random print outs that I think could be used again, etc...) are in a stack at the bottom of my family board game shelf. (I also have a group board game shelf, and a shelf of games that I'd like to sell/trade.) My current papers are more likely to be found on my terrifying desk. I recently misplaced my notebook with the current D&D notes, so I could do better.

Dice are stored in a drawer, or my currently is use dice are in my dice box which has a lid.

I don't typically use miniatures for RPGs, but all of my miniatures are either in transport cases or display boxes. Pre-painted plastic figs (such as HeroClix) are in a wooden box in plastic bags kinda sorted by type (pulp, super heroes, normal folk, etc...).

Reading through this, it sounds like I'm organized. Bwahahahahaha. I'm trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very Stout
United States
Back and to the Left-
Up a Bit, Perfect
flag msg tools
An old liberal optimist
badge
An Elf, a Human, and a Dwarf walk into a bar...
mbmbmbmbmb
Different colored folders for different topics.

Red) Character generation
Orange) Combat, traps, disease, and damage
Yellow) Setting info, random information tables (lots)
Green) Encounters, weather, and travel
Blue) Skills, talents, specific rules for negotiations and so on
Violet) Magic, mystic, ki, items of power, etc
Black) Resolved issues, past history we need to keep track of
Ivory) Current characters in the campaign

We use Mythic, and other GME types a lot, so that all has its own place as well. And a good sized satchel. Figures, dice, etc. are stored in a large tackle box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my RPG books are on 2 bookshelves. About 2/3rds of these are AD&D 1st and 2nd ed sorted into groups. The rest are sorted by system.

Commercial and home grown adventures are in a couple of boxes on basement shelves. Dice are scattered in clumps in several locations, mostly on shelves not in basement.

Miniatures are stored in miniature storage boxes on basement shelve. Dwarven Forge terrain are stored in Artbin super satchel boxes stacked in the basement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I have one book shelf of what I call my "glorious" games. Which includes my favorite RPG's and boardgames....and one book shelf of all my other RPG's. And a few bookshelves of the rest of my boardgames.

This is my glory shelf.(My other shelves are not this pretty )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm not that cool.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
RPG books are organized by system, publisher, then series or type. If the items in a type have some sort of designater [like modules do, then by designater (so A1-A4, etc)].

Dice and papers have pretty much no organization -- active campaigns are in binders or folders in my bag, dice are pretty much all over the place and disorganized in the extreme as are notes from older games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a milk crate that has random stuff in it. That's what I haul to games. It has the core book(s) for the actual game and then usually a bunch of stuff from recent games. And I have a fishing tackle box that is organized the same was, but for miniatures.

And then I have the piled boxes with random contents of everything else, all mixed together like a stew.

And, it's such a catastrophe that I have occasionally bought a second copy of a core rule book in preference to finding the first copy.

But that's nothing compared to my "mind palace"... which really is more like the sewers under the palace in organization and content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
RPG books are organized by system, publisher, then series or type. If the items in a type have some sort of designater [like modules do, then by designater (so A1-A4, etc)].

That's why PCs can't ever trust you completely at the table. That feeling that some type of Lawful Weltanschauung is going to assert itself as a desperate character flaw at a critical, inopportune moment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
O M E G A
badge
2 0 4 8
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have that much stuff so it doesn't really need organizing. About a foot and a half of shelf space, tops, for the game I'm playing and a couple things I can't bear to part with at the moment. Any old stuff I get rid of. It's surprisingly easy to give away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I organize books by system (and with D&D then by edition). There is a separate section for GM reference/guidance material. PC sheets organization involves a lot of index cards and paper clips with one folder per system (or edition). Dungeon/scenario construction and world building go into different folders per project. Suspiciously well-rolling dice are separate (to be used for my benefit) with all other polyhedrals together in a dice bag. Rory's Story dice are in a separate dice bag. I use the bottom row of an Ikea 4x4 shelving unit for RPG materials with some spillover to other shelves in another room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I attempted to use a 3 Dimensional Bravais lattice system, but in the end I could nonetheless never seem to find the RPG items I was looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The books are in one room, not quite all on shelves. Well, they are until they aren’t. There’s a definite flow of paper goods via the bedside table.

The digital content has, despite my initial intentions, turned into a disaster. There are items scattered over a Linux laptop, Mac mini, iPad, and two Win7 PCs. I suspect I’ve lost track of the revision status of any files for which publishers have issued updates.

Dice reside in the culturally appropriate Crown Royal rye whisky bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatt wrote:

Dice reside in the culturally appropriate Crown Royal rye whisky bags.

The first whiskey I ever drank !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatt wrote:
The digital content has...

There ought to be some type of open source document data repository that you can just toss PDF/DOC/Whatever files into and it puts them someplace and then indexes by title, system, author, publisher, date, etc. And weeds duplicates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.