The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Lamentations of the Flame Princess (Grindhouse Edition)
Ryuutama: Natural Fantasy Role Play
Dungeon Masters Screen
Nexus Life
Cat: Revised
The Orc in the Well
Cthulhu and the River of Doubt
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Knights & Legends
We Used To Be Friends
James Bond 007
Career Compendium
Dead Planet
The Adventure Crafter
Berlin: The Wicked City
Polaris: Chivalric Tragedy at Utmost North
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Usagi Yojimbo Role-Playing Game
DU2: Streets of Shadow
Mutant Future
The Fall of Myth Drannor
Fiasco
Microscope
The Book of the Smoke
A Song of Ice and Fire Chronicle Starter
Thousand Suns: Five Stars
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Cthulhu Abides
The Cthulhu Hack
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
Mysthea: Legends From the Borderlands
Tiny Gods
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 4e)
The Quintessential Cleric
carry. a game about war.
B2: The Keep on the Borderlands
7th Sea Game Master's Screen
Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium
RuneQuest Deluxe Edition
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Layheehoo
badge
What was Yoda's last name?
mbmbmbmbmb
A question suggested by

Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

What are your favorite randomized tables for rpgs? Or, if it doesn't have a label, what favorite rpg items do you like to use randomized tables to identify? (e.g. Monster tables, random encounter table, dungeon design tables)

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to remember there was a site or blog that collected the weirdest and strange random tables ever used in rpg's, but I seem unable to find it again ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
1. Trinket Tables
I've never used a random chart so much in my games. There's never a bad time for a mysterious trinket that may or may not be tied narratively to the plot, or may do something completely off-the-wall.

2. The RPGGeek Community Random Chart List
I'd link to it, but can't remember where the link is on the site atm. But it was delightfully daffy. I haven't technically used it yet, but I hope to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nostalgia forces me to pick the random dungeon generation tables in the original Advanced D&D DM's Guide. I certainly used them heavily enough thirty years ago.

Second on the nostalgia list would be the rumor table at the start of The Secret of Bone Hill, which I have used near the start of multiple campaigns and which sets up just the right level of intrigue and mystery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
https://www.reddit.com/r/BehindTheTables/ is a fine, and free, collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have mixed feelings about random tables.

For a game like Four Against Darkness, I absolutely love rolling everything. The rooms, monsters, and treasures - heck, even the theme and quest- are all fine to randomly roll.

For a game like Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition), I don't like rolling for random monsters or loot as the DM. I feel like I'm losing control and balance on something already carefully constructed. I think there's some difference in level of commitment to the characters and a fear of losing them to a really harsh roll on the table. I just played my first game of Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game this weekend (which has great supplemental character background roll tables). There's a serious expectation of mortality with the OSR style games and I think that lends itself to letting go. There's also a difference for me where one is narrative focused and the other is more of a dice-driven dungeon crawl.

I think D100 Dungeon's tile generation table is excellent. One of the newer 4AD supplements has an overland tile generator that looks neat too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Daumen
United States
The Triangle
flag msg tools
designer
(Tennessee and Wisconsin in between)
badge
I think you should realize these wings are really hot
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2d10 encounter tables from the original Monster Manual 2 were, iirc, accompanied by a page or two of useful advice about how to fill one out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Made you look!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of those "d10000 random magical effects" tables. I'd never use one but I'm glad they exist purely for the stories that they generate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PghArch wrote:
Nostalgia forces me to pick the random dungeon generation tables in the original Advanced D&D DM's Guide. I certainly used them heavily enough thirty years ago.

I'll second that! Also some of the magical items with random effects from 1st edition AD&D, such as the Deck of Many Things (which actually relied on pulling playing cards from a deck, rather than rolling).

Not tables, but I also like the item generators on the Cobwebbed Forest Dragon Warriors site:
Library Tomes: https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/workshop/Tomes
Potions: https://www.cobwebbedforest.co.uk/workshop/Potion.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
The scenarios in Sprawl Sites for Shadowrun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
I like die-drop tables. I don't find them inherently superior to normal random tables, but I enjoy the art aspects of the best ones. And the layout/design usually is interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dungeon Dozen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
Self made ones I guess... For some story events I make five-six likely things to happen and have my players roll on the spot to see which one comes up. Then make it up as I go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PghArch wrote:

Second on the nostalgia list would be the rumor table at the start of The Secret of Bone Hill, which I have used near the start of multiple campaigns and which sets up just the right level of intrigue and mystery.

If you can deal with less detail but you want a more consistent dungeon make up, I would suggest Mythic's Location Crafter for this purpose. It has you create the standard room elements / monsters / thematic treasure for rooms and types of rooms expected and randomizes them without a totally random feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:

There is nothing close. He's like the Shakespeare of random tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite liked the family history tables during character creation for Pendragon. I'm also a fan of the random trinkets table from D&D 5th Ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Zoshak
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply put: effective random encounter and magic item tables. I miss nothing else in D&D5 so much as these.

There really are no random encounter rules in core D&D5, and the random treasure generation process is so arcane as to be useless.

Why can a hoard only contain one kind of coin? Why are all the magic items in this monster's possession drawn from a particular arbitrary set? Why can some weapon and armor enchantments only be found on certain kinds of weapon or armor?

One of these days I'm going to sit down and solve this problem, but it never seems to rise to the top of my priorities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Phobias and Manias Tables of Call of Cthulhu.

As a Keeper, I use them a lot. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is kind of basic, but environment based random encounter tables. I'm still learning D&D lore and having those tables helps immensely when trying to flesh out a session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Lee
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m a big fan of the random tables in Blades in the Dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Chaosium's old Cities book offered all the tables I needed for extensive urban adventuring. 64 pages of useful info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatt wrote:

Chaosium's old Cities book offered all the tables I needed for extensive urban adventuring. 64 pages of useful info.

You got there just before me. (Though I never actually rolled on the tables, just browsed them for inspiration.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coffee Most Frequently used: Treasure, equipment, and injury tables
indigo Most Functional: Beyond the Wall "Threat packs"
tobacco My latest Fascination: Ironsworn Oracles - P.S. I found an app for this!
sugar Favorite Sci-fi random generators: The Adventure Idea factory for sci-fi rpgs (especially space westerns)
corn Favorite random character ability creation: FASERIP character rolling for superpowers for example in FASERIP OR
Maid rpg tables for anime
bluetaj: Most Complete random generator supplement: The Covetous Poets Adventure Creator
bluetaj: Favorite pseudo-random generator to create a thematic location - Mythic Location Crafter
browntaj: Most bizarre and thematic tables: Fleshscape rpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not "Happy"
mbmbmbmb
Most Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game books have something good, for example one table in Transylvanian Adventures can produce a Professor trained in Pointing Stick.

For pure awesome, the tables at the back of Worlds Without Master. For example from Three Dozen Ill-Fates Awaiting Those Who Displease the Silent Emperor you might get the result: Have your flesh surgically replaced with glass plates so that the court can marvel over the inner workings of the human form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird stuff that looks as if it's important - but isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.