The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Lamentations of the Flame Princess (Grindhouse Edition)
Ryuutama: Natural Fantasy Role Play
Dungeon Masters Screen
Nexus Life
Cat: Revised
The Orc in the Well
Cthulhu and the River of Doubt
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Knights & Legends
We Used To Be Friends
James Bond 007
Career Compendium
Dead Planet
The Adventure Crafter
Berlin: The Wicked City
Polaris: Chivalric Tragedy at Utmost North
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Usagi Yojimbo Role-Playing Game
DU2: Streets of Shadow
Mutant Future
The Fall of Myth Drannor
Fiasco
Microscope
The Book of the Smoke
A Song of Ice and Fire Chronicle Starter
Thousand Suns: Five Stars
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Cthulhu Abides
The Cthulhu Hack
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
Mysthea: Legends From the Borderlands
Tiny Gods
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 4e)
The Quintessential Cleric
carry. a game about war.
B2: The Keep on the Borderlands
7th Sea Game Master's Screen
Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium
RuneQuest Deluxe Edition
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: QOTD MAR 12: How do you read an rpg book? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: qotd [+] RPG_Hobby [+] [View All]
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at the pretty pictures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Front to back and on an electronic device, if at all possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends:

1. If I'm reading something that I'm not trying to play, front to back. In some cases, I skip over the fiction, but if it's really good, I'll read that too.
2. If I'm reading a new edition, look for the notes on changes then scan through.
3. If I'm reading to play? I read the salient parts and then fill in as needed, making use of the index a lot, leaving the GM parts out if I'm just playing.
4. If I'm reading to GM? As above, but hit the GM parts last in my first reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
Front to back… until I get derailed and have to go haring off to look up what a game term means or what dice get rolled. It's still mostly front-to-back, just with digressions and the occasional Left Turn at Albuquerque™.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
STRAP IN » BURN ON » BLACK OUT
badge
HIT 'EM FROM ORBIT
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha! Read?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
For me its:

- Flip through, appreciate art, maybe read a section that catches my eye
- Read "lore" section if it exists (hopefully I've done this before buying it to see if it's something I'm interested in
- Read Char Gen, then generate a character, this will lead me to various sections as I try to figure out how tech/magic/attacks/skill checks work
- Read Combat section

This should get me into a 'I can play now' mindset, once I'm done generating a character I usually understand core mechanics well enough to get started.

If I'm going to GM then it's the above plus read everything else, then read it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Clark's quick ten steps to finding interesting games (uses the "immediate out" and the "three strikes and you're out" rules):

1. Look at the image on the cover and make a snap decision about the genre. If it isn't fantasy, science fiction, or zombies, put it back on the shelf. If you can't tell what it is, put it back on the shelf. If you can tell what it is and you're uninterested in that genre, that's +1 strike. If the cover artwork mostly is appealing because of salacious visual content, put it back on the shelf (after a quick flip-through, naturally).

2. Look on the shelf to the left/right for sourcebooks for the same game. If there are none or if there are more than a dozen, put it back on the shelf. If there are more than abt. six copies of the core book, put it back on the shelf. If there is no GM screen, that's +1 strike.

3. Look at the page count of the core book. If it's less than abt. 100 or more than abt. 250, put it back on the shelf. Determine if there is only one core book, or if the core rules are split into multiple books. If there are more than two core rule books, put it back on the shelf.

4. Review the game editions/versions of the core books for the same game on the shelf. If there are two or more editions/versions represented on the same shelf, put it back on the shelf. If the game is an "anniversary edition" that's +1 strike. If the game is set in any flavor of "world of darkness", put it back on the shelf. If the game is "powered by the apocalypse", put it back on the shelf.

5. Flip to the back and look at the character sheet; it will be either a) attribute/class/level, b) attribute/skill, c) narrative tag, or - very rarely - d) something else, In the case of a/b/c, you already know 90% of the game; in the case of d) it might be interesting (but probably is lame storytelling pabulum). If you can't find a character sheet, put it back on the shelf.

6. Determine if there are 3, 6, or more attributes = 3-ish means a generally well-designed game; 6 means a retro-clone; more means a generally over-designed game and that's +1 strike. If there are more than 9, put it back on the shelf.

7. Flip to the front and do a quick title page / first page scan for any of the following - "completely new", "totally innovative", "infinitely flexible", "capable of handling any genre", "no/low-preparation" - if you see anything like that, it's an unimaginative clone of a standard commercial game - that's +1 strike. If the first page is fiction, put it back on the shelf.

8. Look at the table of contents. If it's less than a page or more than two pages, put it back on the shelf. Otherwise, find the entry for basic action resolution and flip there (step 9).

9. Determine if it uses dice or some other mechanic. If it uses some other mechanic, put it back on the shelf. If it uses only d6, that's +1 strike.

10. Flip to the index. If there's no index, that's +1 strike. If there is an index but it's less than a page or more than six pages, put it back on the shelf. If it's a class system, note how many classes there are - if it's a skill system, not how many skills there are. If there are more than abt. 10 classes or abt. 20 skills, put it back on the shelf. If there are fewer than abt. 4 classes or abt. 8 skills, put it back on the shelf.

Made it this far with less than three strikes? You may be holding a game that is worth looking at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip the section on 'What is an RPG?'

Skip the section on RPG terms - "Roll 2d6 means roll 2 six sided dice".

Skip the sections on skills and special abilities - most of them are obvious, I'll read up on the unusual ones if they ever come into play.

Skip the How to be a good GM section (unless it's an unusual game - I did actually read this section when I recently ran Blades in the Dark)

Skip the World building section, unless it's a world I know nothing about (which is rare).

Skip sections on spells, items and magical equipment - I'll read about them if and when they crop up in play.

So basically I read character creation, the core mechanic and combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Front to back on first reading. If interested enough to want to try it, make some characters to see how that works (re-reading anything necessary), and use them to try the mechanics.

If it's not a core book, I stop at the reading part until I'm using it for a game.

Things I use get referenced as necessary. Whether that's quick look-ups or re-reading whole sections depends on the particular use case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I invested in Arcana and History proficiency. If that does not suffice, I have the Comprehend Languages spell at the ready. I thought about taking the Keen Mind feat, but that seems overkill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
I just use it as a reference when I need to look something up, I never read them front to back. Maybe I should at one point just for the fun of it but there's always something better to read than an RPG book if you ask me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Back cover. Price tag.
If I can find it, core mechanic
Then get and double check the Receipt.

Quick skim to get layout.

Mechanics. Then setting. then mechanics again.
Then make cheatsheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
Clark's quick ten steps to finding interesting games (uses the "immediate out" and the "three strikes and you're out" rules):

1. Look at the image on the cover and make a snap decision about the genre. If it isn't fantasy, science fiction, or zombies, put it back on the shelf. If you can't tell what it is, put it back on the shelf. If you can tell what it is and you're uninterested in that genre, that's +1 strike. If the cover artwork mostly is appealing because of salacious visual content, put it back on the shelf (after a quick flip-through, naturally).

2. Look on the shelf to the left/right for sourcebooks for the same game. If there are none or if there are more than a dozen, put it back on the shelf. If there are more than abt. six copies of the core book, put it back on the shelf. If there is no GM screen, that's +1 strike.

3. Look at the page count of the core book. If it's less than abt. 100 or more than abt. 250, put it back on the shelf. Determine if there is only one core book, or if the core rules are split into multiple books. If there are more than two core rule books, put it back on the shelf.

4. Review the game editions/versions of the core books for the same game on the shelf. If there are two or more editions/versions represented on the same shelf, put it back on the shelf. If the game is an "anniversary edition" that's +1 strike. If the game is set in any flavor of "world of darkness", put it back on the shelf. If the game is "powered by the apocalypse", put it back on the shelf.

5. Flip to the back and look at the character sheet; it will be either a) attribute/class/level, b) attribute/skill, c) narrative tag, or - very rarely - d) something else, In the case of a/b/c, you already know 90% of the game; in the case of d) it might be interesting (but probably is lame storytelling pabulum). If you can't find a character sheet, put it back on the shelf.

6. Determine if there are 3, 6, or more attributes = 3-ish means a generally well-designed game; 6 means a retro-clone; more means a generally over-designed game and that's +1 strike. If there are more than 9, put it back on the shelf.

7. Flip to the front and do a quick title page / first page scan for any of the following - "completely new", "totally innovative", "infinitely flexible", "capable of handling any genre", "no/low-preparation" - if you see anything like that, it's an unimaginative clone of a standard commercial game - that's +1 strike. If the first page is fiction, put it back on the shelf.

8. Look at the table of contents. If it's less than a page or more than two pages, put it back on the shelf. Otherwise, find the entry for basic action resolution and flip there (step 9).

9. Determine if it uses dice or some other mechanic. If it uses some other mechanic, put it back on the shelf. If it uses only d6, that's +1 strike.

10. Flip to the index. If there's no index, that's +1 strike. If there is an index but it's less than a page or more than six pages, put it back on the shelf. If it's a class system, note how many classes there are - if it's a skill system, not how many skills there are. If there are more than abt. 10 classes or abt. 20 skills, put it back on the shelf. If there are fewer than abt. 4 classes or abt. 8 skills, put it back on the shelf.

Made it this far with less than three strikes? You may be holding a game that is worth looking at.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.