The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Lamentations of the Flame Princess (Grindhouse Edition)
Ryuutama: Natural Fantasy Role Play
Dungeon Masters Screen
Nexus Life
Cat: Revised
The Orc in the Well
Cthulhu and the River of Doubt
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Knights & Legends
We Used To Be Friends
James Bond 007
Career Compendium
Dead Planet
The Adventure Crafter
Berlin: The Wicked City
Polaris: Chivalric Tragedy at Utmost North
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Usagi Yojimbo Role-Playing Game
DU2: Streets of Shadow
Mutant Future
The Fall of Myth Drannor
Fiasco
Microscope
The Book of the Smoke
A Song of Ice and Fire Chronicle Starter
Thousand Suns: Five Stars
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Cthulhu Abides
The Cthulhu Hack
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
Mysthea: Legends From the Borderlands
Tiny Gods
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 4e)
The Quintessential Cleric
carry. a game about war.
B2: The Keep on the Borderlands
7th Sea Game Master's Screen
Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium
RuneQuest Deluxe Edition
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: How many dice do you have? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: dice [+] collecting_collector [+] [View All]
Jonas
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
N.K.Jemisin's "The Fifth Season" is awesome and fantastic.
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How many dice do you have?
None
1-10
11-50
51-100
101-200
201-1000
1001-5000
5001-20000
I'm Kevin Cook
Above 20k, but I'm not Kevin Cook!
      69 answers
Poll created by jasri
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To explain the Kevin Cook reference: Guinness record for the largest collection of dice. By his current count he's got more than 86,000 dice.

https://www.dicecollector.com/
Kevin Cook
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coates
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote only counts RPG dice, not dice in board game boxes. Was that the intention of the question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm open to a broad interpretation. If you're the owner of a dice company and produce 200k six-siders each year, that's totally valid, I guess.

But it's certainly interesting to read details about your collection(s) and how you amassed them. Like, are they mostly d6, or the standard seven piece polyhedral sets? Are there many duplicates in your collection? etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a set of WizDice Series III dice from amazon. It's just shy of 15 complete polyhedral sets. Some were warped. Brybelly sent replacement d6's for those, but they were also defective. They sent me a whole replacement bag. So I have almost 30 polyhedral sets with extras. I've also got a set of the FFG Star Wars dice. I also bought some loose d6's thrifting - somewhere in the 24-36 range. And some giant d6's.

Bought my late wife a chessex set in hopes that she'd play. "If I was ever to play, these pretty dice would get me to play." I nearly broke my arm pulling my wallet out and paying for them.

I'd like to get a giant d20 and some of the grimtooth/flying buffalo specialty dungeon mapping/encounter dice. Maybe some of the odd/Zocchi/DCC dice in the d3/d5/etc denominations. Me and my kids love dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
My dice essentially come in six varieties...

* My basic dice bag: this has about 40 dice in it, of different sizes d4 to d20. It works for the vast majority of games I play.

* My specialty dice: these are game dependent, and include a set of The One Ring dice, about three sets of 4 fudge dice, two sets of all the weird sized Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game dice, and a set of those even odd dice from Hollow Earth Expedition

* My GenCon dice: these are the special dice, one for each year, that are handed about by Crystal Castle at GenCon. I have 15 of them.

* My big bag of d20s and d10s: I bought these for when I was playing a lot of Donjon and Storyteller games. I have about 40 cheap d20s in this bag, and maybe 20 cheap d10s. They really only get used for Donjon, because few games besides that one really need a lot of d20s, and I don't play many games that require big mitfuls of d10s anymore either like Old World of Darkness.

* four boxes of tiny d6's: I bought these for Mythender, they are in purple, red and white. If I'm gm'ing a game that needs a lot of d6's, I'll bring them along in case others need dice.

* My crappy dice: these are dice that I hate, they are ugly and stupid, but for some reason I can't bring myself to actually throw them away for some reason. There are maybe 20 of them?

I didn't actually count, but I estimate I have over 100 but fewer than 200. I may count tonight and adjust my vote, because as I was itemizing the above I kept remembering other piles of dice sitting in different places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
I don't think I have more than a thousand, but it's probably close. I bought a bunch of Chessex 36-packs when I ran a lot of Mouse Guard, so that everyone could have dice in their own color. (When you help another mouse, you physically give them a die to add to their pool -- and since you have your own color, you can see if you actually helped!)

Then a few dozen 12-siders from the Blade of the Iron Throne Kickstarter.

A few dozen more 10-siders bought when the WOTC-branded stores were going out of business and clearing their product out.

Tons more acquired over the years.

I don't need that many, but it's very hard to sell used dice. Too fungible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I have a full set of assorted dice and also a surplus of D6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
jasri wrote:
To explain the Kevin Cook reference: Guinness record for the largest collection of dice. By his current count he's got more than 86,000 dice.

https://www.dicecollector.com/
Kevin Cook
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Amateur ... whistle
(speeds off to buy more dice ...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torches! Pitchforks!
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
I don't think I have more than a thousand, but it's probably close.

My gut said the same thing. About me, not you.

I did lose dice in the Great Feline Territory War of 2000. Again, I don't think that would have edged me over 1000, but it would have been close.

I have a buddy who is a dice collector, and I assume he's in the 1001-5000 range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coates
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote included only RPG related dice. There was no True Path to amassing them.

The majority are 7 piece sets, but a good number of random d6s and d10s have wound up in the pile as well.

The first set was from the basic D&D box. I think I still have most of those, but they are badly chipped and don't really see use. The rest have just slowly gathered over the years, one or two sets at a time. Crystal Caste, Chessex, Gamescience, Q-Workshop, and multiple Kickstarter projects have all contributed. Most are standard dice sets, but specialties have worked their way in as well (Warhammer, Fudge, HERO, The One Ring, Star Wars, etc.).

They aren't stored in any particular order, just dropped into 5 or 6 large Crown Royal bags. For game sessions, I usually hand pick 3 or 4 sets to take with me. Those sets usually have a "theme" in my mind. If my character is a Ranger each set is mainly green. For Fire Sorcerers each set is mainly yellows, oranges, and reds. For rogues each set is mainly grays and blacks. You get the idea.

I've only gotten rid of two intentionally. They were propane torched and buried in the back yard of two of my previous residences. I've often wondered if the new owners have experienced any influences from malevolent forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Some "party favor" dice at a recent event probably pushed me over 200, so I'm in that category. Mostly 7-piece sets and d6s. I likely have to reassess and purge some dice sometime soon. It's more than I need or want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Less than would fit in a bread box....maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
My first set of dice was used for Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (First Edition). Actually, we played for a few weeks with these things -
But our box set included a mail-in card that would get you a set of seven poly dice. They were those old, decidedly unbalanced, crappy plastic jobs. But, they did the trick for many years of play.

Since then, I've been buying dice here and there and everywhere. Have no idea how many I really have, but I'm sure it's more than a couple hundred and probably less than 1,000 (after subtracting the ones I've lost, tossed, given away, or that's been swiped from me).

I've bought the "pound o dice" deal from (IIRC) an old Dragon magazine ad. I've bought the "pitcher of dice" deal directly from Chessex at Dragon*Con. And I've bought a whole bunch of gimmick dice over the years. Love me some dice.

I have not, however, bought into the "ultra precision" dice that are made of steel or aluminum. Too expensive for dice, for me. I mean, I love 'em. They're cool. But, too much for me.

My sister gave me a set of 4d6 that are handmade by some guy in Constantinople Istanbul. They're made of some type of dense wood with brass inset pips. In case! Excelsior! Decidedly not fair.

But, that first old set of lopsided dice that rolled down into nearly balls probably still my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
My sister gave me a set of 4d6 that are handmade by some guy in Constantinople Istanbul. They're made of some type of dense wood with brass inset pips. In case! Excelsior! Decidedly not fair.
Why'd they change it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not vote because I don't know how much dice I own. Most of my dice are from boardgames and cardgames. I have about 4 dice sets I use for rpg and tabletop wargames. I have the original dice set from V&V, a metal dice set I bought at ComicCon, and 2 other dice sets I bought to match my WarMachine and Hordes factions. I also have a ton of dice from Pirates of the Spanish Maine, Roll for the Galaxy, Star Wars TCG, and Dragon Dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
A few dozen more 10-siders bought when the WOTC-branded stores were going out of business and clearing their product out.

I miss the WOTC game store! My late friend and I used to drive to the closest one (about an hour away) once every month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hellar
msg tools
designer
From memory:

5$ to fill a coffee cup and stack on top to carry it 8 feet to the cashier with whatever doesn't fall off the top. Plus odd and ends bought one die at a time

2 sets of dice from 2nd edition player's packs that were on sale ( probably the only time i bought something with a full set of dice all at once.)

Two sorting cases of dragon dice and a handful of dice for some marvel dice wars game.

5 bags of faction dice for heroscape.

Oodles of d6s from various board game, plus a few dozen "gaming dice" that I never needed to loot from their games.

2 4" marble decorative d6s

a few dozen special d6s from game with symbols instead of pips.

A fist full of tiny d6s from the collectable card packs that had the build a ship pirate game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't you have asked this in weight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much is the pitcher of dice? And about how many do your get?
Not counting courtesy dice I give to newbies. I have over 200. I use to have a full crown royal bag but over the years some dice walked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Holmes Basic came with a sheet of numbered chits, but I couldn't begin to guess where they went.

The set of marbled solids that someone brought me from Gencon in 1981 are gone. cry

I'd estimate having fewer than 100 dice currently, but I'm could be wrong.
{edit}I believe I've got over 100.{/edit}
{edit} 208 {/edit}
{edit} 223 because I was in an FLGS today {/edit}

* one pair of Traveller-font d6
* one pair of chaos logo d6
* two sets of FFG Star Wars symbol dice
* three sets of X-Wing symbol dice
* a dozen Fudge +/- d6
* extended set of Roll4Initiative orange crystal, large-numeral polyhedrons (slightly larger dice with slightly larger numerals)
* extended set of Chessex marbled "blueberry ripple ice-cream" polyhedrons
* a dozen (or 16?) Chessex marbled "blueberry ripple ice-cream" d6
* two sets of yellow 10-piece polhedrons (Koplow)
* one oversized d20
* one oversized d10
* two d30
* one set each of red and clear crystal polyhedrons (Gamescience?)
* a full set of d3 through d24 intermediate, oddball polyhedrons (Impact?)
* a dozen blank d6 (for testing on my engraving machine, later)
* the sad little blue solid polyhedrons from the D&D 5e Starter Set
* Rory's Story Dice (core) plus their Actions set (9 each)
* red crytal polyhedron set from Top Secret:NWO
* one tube of polyhedrons (10 pcs, incl 4d6 for chargen) (Koplow) - these are the dice I give to new D&D players. So far 3 sets have gone out to coworkers and a young relation, with this set in reserve.

The reason that there are so many edits to this post is because this is exactly the sort of minutia I (shouldn't) obsess about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have more than 2,500 dice.
Mostly polyhedral 7-pcs sets and an assortment of d6. After an ill-considered kickstarter pledge which got me 27 polyhedral sets in one package I felt that I might actually have too many dice, at least with regard to "regular" polyhedrals. Meaning that my acquisitions have slowed down...

I'm into interesting shapes like non-cubic d6 and non-platonic polyhedral sets, but also interesting new designs of dice faces (alternatives to the standard pip design). I don't regularly use them in play, but I still enjoy them.

I'm interested in historic dice, but I haven't started collecting any. But there's some fascinating stuff (aside from your bog-standard d6 variations) in past centuries and millenia.
Shameless plug for my geeklist: Random Facets from the History of Dice

My go-to dice bag holds about 20 dice at the moment: two poly sets, some extra d6, and a d2/3/4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got more than I use; I probably own some that have never seen use. And I don't even have that many - no more than 10 sets of polyhedrals, plus a bunch of random D6s (and poker dice, for some reason).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm not that cool.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I used to have considerably more than the close to 1000 I have now. When they added dice the curriculum of first grade, I donated enough for 8 teachers to have over 100 of various dice each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
More than what I had when I counted for a QotD: Re: QOTD Dec 21: How many dice do you own? somewhere between 1100 and 2000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.