The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Lamentations of the Flame Princess (Grindhouse Edition)
Ryuutama: Natural Fantasy Role Play
Dungeon Masters Screen
Nexus Life
Cat: Revised
The Orc in the Well
Cthulhu and the River of Doubt
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Knights & Legends
We Used To Be Friends
James Bond 007
Career Compendium
Dead Planet
The Adventure Crafter
Berlin: The Wicked City
Polaris: Chivalric Tragedy at Utmost North
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Usagi Yojimbo Role-Playing Game
DU2: Streets of Shadow
Mutant Future
The Fall of Myth Drannor
Fiasco
Microscope
The Book of the Smoke
A Song of Ice and Fire Chronicle Starter
Thousand Suns: Five Stars
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Cthulhu Abides
The Cthulhu Hack
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
Mysthea: Legends From the Borderlands
Tiny Gods
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 4e)
The Quintessential Cleric
carry. a game about war.
B2: The Keep on the Borderlands
7th Sea Game Master's Screen
Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium
RuneQuest Deluxe Edition
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: Movement Question - What Scale rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Loren Larkin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New solo player here and so far so good for story progression etc but now I am stuck on a movement mechanic. I am using Warrior, Rogue and Mage rule set and Mythic emulator (but not for battle, only story). WR&M really doesn't cover movement other than saying a turn is: "Running a short distance, drawing a weapon, attacking a foe, and casting a spell are reasonable actions that can be performed during one turn". I think I'd like to initially start foe and PC at opposite ends of a 10 x 1 inch squares sheet of graph paper as the battlefield and roll a d something for the distance separating them. Then I roll for initiative. I'm trying to come up with a scale that makes sense especially since I have ranged fighters and a spellcaster. What would make sense for distance per one turn for a movement action for monsters and PC's? Currently I am up against a pack of 4 wolves who could probably move a long way in one turn vs characters on foot.

Per the ruels: bow ranges are 80-100 yards and throwing stars and spears 15-20 yards. Spells are 10-15 yards in range. Also there are distance dice penalties for ranged weapons so distance is important here.

Any suggestions appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
onaplake wrote:
New solo player here and so far so good for story progression etc but now I am stuck on a movement mechanic. I am using Warrior, Rogue and Mage rule set and Mythic emulator (but not for battle, only story). WR&M really doesn't cover movement other than saying a turn is: "Running a short distance, drawing a weapon, attacking a foe, and casting a spell are reasonable actions that can be performed during one turn". I think I'd like to initially start foe and PC at opposite ends of a 10 x 1 inch squares sheet of graph paper as the battlefield and roll a d something for the distance separating them. Then I roll for initiative. I'm trying to come up with a scale that makes sense especially since I have ranged fighters and a spellcaster. What would make sense for distance per one turn for a movement action for monsters and PC's? Currently I am up against a pack of 4 wolves who could probably move a long way in one turn vs characters on foot.

Per the ruels: bow ranges are 80-100 yards and throwing stars and spears 15-20 yards. Spells are 10-15 yards in range. Also there are distance dice penalties for ranged weapons so distance is important here.

Hi Loren: Just checking, you are talking about this game, right? Warrior, Rogue & Mage

If so, your question might be better answered in the rules forum for that game? https://rpggeek.com/forum/805131/warrior-rogue-mage/rules If you post there, anyone who has subscribed to that game in RPGGeek will get a notification about your post.

I can't answer your question myself, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Larkin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
onaplake wrote:

Hi Loren: Just checking, you are talking about this game, right? Warrior, Rogue & Mage

If so, your question might be better answered in the rules forum for that game? https://rpggeek.com/forum/805131/warrior-rogue-mage/rules If you post there, anyone who has subscribed to that game in RPGGeek will get a notification about your post.

Yes and that's a good point. I was thinking that it was more of a general question of scale but I guess it does relate to the various weapon ranges etc in WR&M. There is zero activity in that forum though cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
onaplake wrote:
skalchemist wrote:
onaplake wrote:

Yes and that's a good point. I was thinking that it was more of a general question of scale but I guess it does relate to the various weapon ranges etc in WR&M.
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood that.

As to general scale issues, I would have two answers:

* If I am playing on an actual grid, 5 foot squares/hexes seem to work well. It makes sense in most contexts, and is the default in the game most people are used to.

* On the other hand, given the context you describe, I'm not sure actual distances are necessary. A lot of games (The One Ring, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (3rd Edition)) get by with tracking distance in an abstract fashion; near, close, far, distant. Or alternatively; melee, near range, extreme range. In your case, maybe all you need is melee, spell/thrown, bow, out of range. The assumption here is that actual spatial tactics don't matter much, all that matters is which people are in range of which weapons.

But this is only on a general level; I can't speak to how that interacts with the specifics of this game.

EDIT: as to activity, if other people are like me, they have subscribed to games they are interested in. So even if there is no activity, if you post something there, people who have subscribed will know and can reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Larkin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Food for thought. Thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is a sort of odd blend of "tactical" and "theater of the mind" rules. Movement and time scales are not provided, which would generally indicate the game isn't much concerned with "hard core" tactics in combat. However, everything has precise ranges noted... indicating the game is concerned with precise tactics.

The game uses distances measured in yards, so the smallest scale that would make sense is 1 grid square = 1 square yard.

A dagger can be thrown 8 yards; the "Magic Step" spell moves you 10 yards (base); a firebolt has an radius of 3 yards.

I suppose you could play on a grid of yards. If you use the standard 1" grid type products, then each grid could be a yard square. Alternately, you could have each grid be four square yards (2 yards per side) which would match more closely to the "standard" five foot grid. But, then you have to count in twos which is a pain.

The combat turn is decidedly vague - "generally short, a few seconds". That sort of argues against any type of significant movement per turn.

I guess you could do something like adapt from another system. If you think a "few" means, say, three, then you could argue that a combat turn here is 1/2 of a "round" in D&D which allows either a move/action or a double move. The move is (for a human) 30 feet in a round, or 10 yards in 3 seconds. Taking that back to this game, "Running a short distance" would probably be something like 10 yards (which seems pretty generous).

The issue I see, though, is that if you move this game onto a gridded map and start using representational figures, you'll lose a lot of the charm of an abstracted game. And it doesn't seem really robust enough to support a full minis approach to combat? Perhaps your group will find that happy middle ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
Drawing a weapon only takes a second or two, so I'd say however far you think a character can run in 1-2 seconds.

By comparison, Usain Bolt has sprinted at 28mph, which is about 40 feet/sec. But he is one of the fastest humans to ever live, has trained his entire life, and is running unencumbered.

Most healthy adults are somewhere in the 10-15mph range, which is about 15-20 feet/sec.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that matters is movement speed vs ranged weapons. You have to decide how many shots you can fire at an approaching enemy, starting out of range, before he closes in for melee.

There is no right or wrong answer. Either you can decide on high movement rate/1 shot/high damage per shot - or - low movement rate/multiple shots/low damage per shot.

Mathematically you can make them equivalent, so it comes down to what your preferred style of handling combat is - more smaller actions or a few actions with bigger impact.

Miniature wargaming deals with this compromise all the time ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.