World of Lazarus
Rebel Times (Issue 139 - Apr 2019)
Mythic
Mythic Game Master Emulator
L-1: City of Lies
RuneQuest Pirates
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
Advanced Race Guide
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Enter the Unknown
The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse
Feats Reforged Vol. III: The Combat Feats
Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk
Feats Reforged Vol. IV: The Magic Feats
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Tome of Secrets (V20 Dark Ages)
Tales from the Loop
Realms of Terrinoth
Ironsworn
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Bunnies & Burrows Fantasy Role Playing Game
Dark Streets & Darker Secrets
The Book of Many Things Campaign Exclusive Content
The Witch of Underwillow
Fireball
A Friend in Need
Volo's Complete Subrace Handbook
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Star Frontiers
Fiend Folio
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother and I discovered my dad's copy of the D&D basic set blue box and set our pre-teen minds alight. Nothing like being a poor family in the middle of hicks-ville and then finding the escape you've been aching for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
pahoota wrote:
robbbbbb wrote:
In first grade I got tracked into the once a week gifted program in my school district. Early on, one of the guys spotted the Basic D&D rules on the shelf.

D&D on the shelf: that's a cool school you had there.

The elementary school gifted program in my school district is one of the few reasons I retained a shred of sanity after exiting the public school system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1980. I was 10 years old and my dad showed me an article about D&D in my mom's People magazine.

https://people.com/archive/if-students-tails-are-dragon-and-...

I was hooked. Played with a friend and his older brother, then soon after set up our own group. Still play with a couple of those guys.

Oh how my dad came to regret showing me that article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob Doupe wrote:
1980. I was 10 years old and my dad showed me an article about D&D in my mom's People magazine.

That article is a fabulous time capsule from the period. Thanks for sharing it. It's also better-written than most material done on D&D from the period, and shows a better understanding of the game. It is surprisingly non-terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb
Wil Wheaton's Titansgrave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:

That article is a fabulous time capsule from the period. Thanks for sharing it. It's also better-written than most material done on D&D from the period, and shows a better understanding of the game. It is surprisingly non-terrible.

It's a good article, but it did leave my young mind with misapprehensions about what actually happened when you played D&D. The article included a photo of Gygax positioning lead figures on a piece of rocky terrain, so I figured it was some kind of minis game where you built (physically) your own dungeon. Which sounded awesome. I was baffled with what I found in the box once I bought the Holmes boxed set a couple weeks later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mazes and Monsters, the Tom Hanks movie. Seriously.

I played Avalon Hill wargames in high school and vaguely had heard about rpg’s, but had never seen one. Then I saw Mazes and Monsters on tv, and we tried to reverse engineer what we tought was an rpg from the movie. We never got far, but we were intrigued.

Then I decided I wanted to pick up miniature wargaming and bought a newly released game, a boxed set with a warrior cleaving the skull of a skeleton, and which was called Warhammer (1st edition). It had 3 black rulebooks, and the third was about fantasy roleplaying. And suddenly there was light! This was 83 or 84.

Edit: around that same time I was also already plaing text-based adventures on my ZX Spectrum, before I had discovered rpg’s. I still need to finish The Hobbit one day ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunday, January 27, 1980, my birthday. Dad handed me a copy of Parade Magazine (it was included with our newspaper) and said there was an article in there that I might like. It was "Ogres and Monsters Take Over the Campus" by Sheila Sobell Moramarco, and it presented a strange conglomeration of Society for Creative Anachronism, Dungeons & Dragons, and what we would today call Cosplay.

It's interesting that such a banal article should change my life so profoundly.

By the end of the day I was playing "Mazes & Monsters" with my reluctantly-enrolled brother. We were just making the rules up as we went along, using a big maze taken from Dynamite Magazine, tokens taken from Sorry, and a bunch of scavenged d6. It was mostly like a boardgame, but we were trying to play it like Moramarco described.

A couple days later dad paid for Holmes Basic, which I bought at Hammond Hobby in Cottonwood Mall. We started playing immediately and sort of stumbled around learning the rules over the next month or so.

As soon as the paper route generated enough income, I bought the AD&D hardbacks. My "original" was (I think) a 5th print DMG. Used it at the table forever. Binding still excellent.

I've mentioned it before, elsewhere, but the game shop guy was always trying to sell me the "white box" original D&D game, of which he had something like 8 or 10 in the shrink. Because I was such a wise 15 year old, I scoffed at his weak attempts to bamboozle me into buying "old stuff", even when the price dropped to five bucks a set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
ctimmins wrote:
Because I was such a wise 15 year old, I scoffed at his weak attempts to bamboozle me into buying "old stuff", even when the price dropped to five bucks a set.

Wow, you sure showed him!

As for me, kids at school (this would've been late 70s) started playing some dungeon game at recess. It wasn't D&D, more like barely freeform: The "DM" would draw a dungeon, and you'd say what you wanted to do. Then the DM would narrate the results, which would usually be juvenile and absurd. There weren't even dice; it was all fiat.

I suspect that it was D&D passed through several layers of rumor and word of mouth.

The first proper RPG I played was FASERIP. I didn't play D&D until years later, because (a) it was satanic, and (b) I was a sophisticated gamer who didn't need introductory games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darwin's Placebo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

Man, one of us heard about this dungeons and dragons game that was the new hotness. The only one in our kids on bikes gang that could drive took us all to the mall. We came back with...

Dungeon!

The board game.

That was corrected not long after and we were soon fighting these things called kobolds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
Dungeon!

The board game.

My first trip to the FLGS to buy a RPG: Gondor, Sauron, and Citadel of Blood.

I'm not sure if I was clueless, distracted, or both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my start with video games too. My uncle gifted us a bunch of Intellivision games which included: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Cloudy Mountain. Then my mom bought me Treasures of the Savage Frontier because she liked the cover and recognized the company from the Intellivision game. From there she got me Council of Wyrms (again for the cover art - she knew I loved dragons!) I read those books forward and back, but didn't have anyone to play with until I finally joined a Dungeons & Dragons (3rd Edition) game in high school, and I've been playing pen-and-paper RPGs ever since! (I haven't stopped playing video game RPGs either...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
I got my start with video games too. My uncle gifted us a bunch of Intellivision games which included: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Cloudy Mountain.

I loved this game. Only vaguely D&D-related, but fun, and rather nerve-wracking as you wandered through the (green) darkness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to BGG, then by accident to RPG (tavern), got appointed rpg gotw, started thinking about rpg's and playing. Looked for The Way of Kolinahr, sent an email to a Dutch geek. He and some friends came over for a Star Trek session. On the Geek got drawn into a Fiasco pbf. That is my start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I started high school, some of the elder children were playing. I joined in. Hooked forever more.

Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Coffey
United Kingdom
Maidstone
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
Sunday, January 27, 1980, my birthday. Dad handed me a copy of Parade Magazine (it was included with our newspaper) and said there was an article in there that I might like.

That made me giggle like a kid, in the UK during the 70's and 80's Parade was a top shelf adult mag, but I'm sure articles were good as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Coffey
United Kingdom
Maidstone
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend invited me to play a game called Gamma World, it wasn't like anything I had played before, you described what you were doing , rolled dice to see if you achieved it. A few months later one summer holiday a few of us were playing D&D, never looked back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hein Ragas
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
designer
[Insert witty message here]
badge
[Insert another witty message here]
mbmbmbmbmb
"We're going to play this game all fall break long. It's totally up your alley, you'll like it! Show up at my house at 10:00 on Saturday!"
And I did. And it was totally up my alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.