World of Lazarus
Rebel Times (Issue 139 - Apr 2019)
Mythic
Mythic Game Master Emulator
L-1: City of Lies
RuneQuest Pirates
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
Advanced Race Guide
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Enter the Unknown
The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse
Feats Reforged Vol. III: The Combat Feats
Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk
Feats Reforged Vol. IV: The Magic Feats
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Tome of Secrets (V20 Dark Ages)
Tales from the Loop
Realms of Terrinoth
Ironsworn
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Bunnies & Burrows Fantasy Role Playing Game
Dark Streets & Darker Secrets
The Book of Many Things Campaign Exclusive Content
The Witch of Underwillow
Fireball
A Friend in Need
Volo's Complete Subrace Handbook
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Star Frontiers
Fiend Folio
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Attire!
badge
What’s the difference between a poorly dressed man on a tricycle and a well-dressed man on a bicycle?
mbmbmb
A question suggested by

Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb

How did you first come across RPGGeek? What about the site made you stick around?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on BGG before RPGG was launched. So, I noticed the new tab...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
I was on BGG before RPGG was launched. So, I noticed the new tab...

Same here. What made me stay, though, was the community itself. So many friendly and helpful geeks. Truly a unique place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Duck and Cover!
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably after a Google search. I lurked for quite some time on BGG then RPGG... I experienced somewhat of an rpg renaissance.

I stay because I am curious and like to see what other people are doing in their gaming lives. And, of course, the social interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sancta Simplicitas

Leuven
msg tools
mb
It started with BGG, then the 1 Player Guild, then Solo Roleplaying and then I found RPGGeek and I love it, a nice, helpful and friendly community of gamers and geeks though I admit I am mostly lurking, but I learn so much from the QOTD and General Discussion Fora + there are always good ideas and tips in the solo monthly roleplaying geeklists
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was mostly a lurker on BGG and joined the RPGG beta fairly early.

For the first time on the site, I felt like I had something to contribute. I entered everything in my collection that was missing. I also noticed that the forums had a very different vibe from BGG, and I started participating.

It's a great place!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was already lurking on BGG when my IRL group finally bit the dust. We had grown from 4 to 6+ and run through a few campaigns, then suddenly disintegrated (I think maybe somebody got a girlfriend and he was another guy's ride). Anyway, I remembered RPG chatrooms from AOL (c.1994) and assumed there was still some kind of online play; a few keystrokes later I was on the RPGG's PBF page and signed on for a Barrowmaze game.

Good stuff! It has been an education and a ton of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
When I retired, I decided to explore the Seven Deadly Sins. Perhaps I shouldn't have started with Sloth. It's been five years and that's as far as I've gotten.
mbmbmbmbmb
At the annual game Gathering we both attend, Aldie asked me in April 2009 if I'd help get RPGG started. So I did.

I stuck around because of the people. I used to socialize on BGG, but now I do it here - the people are generally much nicer here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming

Nashville
Tennessee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered BGG about 8-9 years ago, when I was easing back into gaming after abandoning the hobby in my late 20s.

I never intended to get back into RPGs, but then I noticed the RPGG tab. I'm a wannabe librarian and soon I started adding "Previously Owned" RPGs to my collection. Pretty soon I was reading forums and remembering how much I loved roleplaying. So you could say RPGG got me back into RPGs.

I stay for the people. The reviews are very insightful and I've found many new games because of the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
Found BGG while doing research on new board games, after moving to a new city that had (and still has) a massive gaming scene. I actually disliked the BGG forums, which I find to be a lot more negative on that side of the site (despite many fine individuals, since I don't want to generalize too hard). If I hadn't already developed a tough skin from years on the internet, a couple early interactions likely would have driven me away. But the database was a boon as I learned about the hobby.

The reason I stuck around was a 2-player guild over on BGG devoted to couples, which gave me tons of ideas for me and my (at the time) long-term gf. Wonderful people in that guild, "A Couple of Gamers"

That might've been it unless I had gotten into D&D/RPGs, which brought me over to this side. Which has been more my speed, and has helped me learn a bunch about RPGs and take part in some cool discussions and projects like the hex crawl thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Made you look!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played board games at my last job with a guy. He kept mentioning BGG so I went and signed up. I didn't post much.

Then he gave me a box of RPGs. A short while later, I realized that there are some tabs at the top of the page. If I can log my board game collection, maybe I can log my RPGs.

I stick around for interesting discussions and the threat of running/joining a PbF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was either the Armour Archive or ENworld forums. I think. When my firewalls are being nice, the question of the day keeps me coming back. Even if I don't answer the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
I was mostly a lurker on BGG and joined the RPGG beta fairly early.

For the first time on the site, I felt like I had something to contribute. I entered everything in my collection that was missing. I also noticed that the forums had a very different vibe from BGG, and I started participating.

It's a great place!

This just about sums it up for me, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been active on BGG for sometime before I began to play RPGs again. Thus I knew that RPGG and VGG existed. Now I'm mainly here playing PBFs, that's what makes me stick around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
mbmbmb
I had been a lurker on BGG for a few years, and then spotted the newbie PBF initiative in 2014. I was quickly hooked.

It's mainly my PBF games that keep me coming back, though I get involved in a small way in a few other things around the site too. In the absence of a face-to-face RPG group, this is how I get my fix...

And I've found the initial welcome and the people here friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The site-wide interactive geek horror adventure GEIST brought me here.

Shortly thereafter I jumped into a new player initiative WEG Star Wars pbf as a replacement player.

The play by forum keeps me coming back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This old man in a tavern sent me on a quest...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatt wrote:
This old man in a tavern sent me on a quest...

And though we had never met before, I immediately joined you as a completely-trusted ally. Even though you're an elf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I drifted over from BGG and found the atmosphere here more genteel and the people more pleasant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems I've misread Aramis' post. Sorry 'bout that.
I meant to say that I was active on BGG before I noticed the 'RPGs' tab, not before RPGGeek was launched..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As so many others, I was already on BGG and joined the RPGG beta, and starting adding everything from my collection that wasn't already in the database. After that, I continued with items for which I could find sufficient information online.

Now, at that time, Dave was the only admin, and he was being swamped with all the new submissions. I was asked to join as the second RPGG admin, and help out with the approval process. So, I didn't make as many new submissions anymore, as a lot of my time went to approving other people's submissions.

As the submissions slowed down, and I got some responsibilities on BGG as well, my focus shifted back to BGG. I'm afraid I'm mostly sticking around because of BGG - without BGG, I'd probably be checking in on RPGG much less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I turned left at the last star and landed here accidentally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
One of the members of my gaming group told me about the site. I love the community atmosphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
I turned left at the last star and landed here accidentally.

It’s nicer than Albuquerque.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joined BGG. Newbie PbF initiative 2018 got me over to RPGG for a game. Now I basically don't go on the BGG side for much...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.