World of Lazarus
Rebel Times (Issue 139 - Apr 2019)
Mythic
Mythic Game Master Emulator
L-1: City of Lies
RuneQuest Pirates
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
Advanced Race Guide
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Enter the Unknown
The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse
Feats Reforged Vol. III: The Combat Feats
Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk
Feats Reforged Vol. IV: The Magic Feats
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Tome of Secrets (V20 Dark Ages)
Tales from the Loop
Realms of Terrinoth
Ironsworn
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Bunnies & Burrows Fantasy Role Playing Game
Dark Streets & Darker Secrets
The Book of Many Things Campaign Exclusive Content
The Witch of Underwillow
Fireball
A Friend in Need
Volo's Complete Subrace Handbook
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Star Frontiers
Fiend Folio
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From BGG. I'd long been wanting to be able to record my RPG plays and enter my collection.

Since then I've become a miserable wretched RPG curmudgeon who stays as the only joy I can get from RPGs is inflicting my misery and despair on others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatt wrote:
cosine wrote:
I turned left at the last star and landed here accidentally.

It’s nicer than Albuquerque.

Did someone say Albuquerque?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been on BGG a long time and find it to be a fantastic gaming resource. Unlike this side, I actually track my collection over there and use it as a rules reference. I have long followed the Wargames forum over there, too, which can be a trove of interesting historical items.

I've been cyberstalking Geekbuddy-following HiveGod for years. He posted up on the QOTD five years ago, and I followed him over and posted. I like the community over here, and so I stuck around and throw in my $0.05 on a regular basis.

This is a good place to talk games, and I've gotten involved in running the occasional contest*, which is great fun.

*Monday Monday MONDAY will be the start of the 24 Hour RPG Supplement Contest. BE THERE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joined for the Board Games. Stayed for the RPGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
bobcatt wrote:
cosine wrote:
I turned left at the last star and landed here accidentally.

It’s nicer than Albuquerque.

Whoah now! No one is allowed to call Albuquerque crappy unless you're a Burqueno...And it is crappy. #burqueno

As for the OP's question, I helped Scott with the design. mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mb
lawingm wrote:
Joined BGG. Newbie PbF initiative 2018 got me over to RPGG for a game. Now I basically don't go on the BGG side for much...

This is my story too other than it was the 2017 Initiative that brought me over, hard to imagine it’s only been 2 years now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Gorski
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Get my Mac and iOS software for Traveller at http://naasirka.weebly.com/
mbmbmbmbmb

mb

I stuck around because I had hundreds of items and magazine articles to add to the database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
I realized that it was part of BGG and VGG, which I already used. I stuck around because it's been an invaluable resource in my DMing career.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
Long-time BGG user. Wasn't really in an RPG phase when the site launched, so I didn't pay much attention.

Now I almost never go to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I stumbled onto it from BoardGameGeek, which my boardgame-aficionado girlfriend had mentioned. Not sure about this part.

But I know why I stayed: the database and the quality of discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
As I started getting back into the RPG hobby in 2010, I kept finding RPGG through google searches on different games. Also, I was reading Gnome Stew around the same time and Martin Ralya had written an article about how useful it was to log your collection and plays. I lurked for six months or so and finally started getting sucked in...

It was probably a year later that I noticed there was a BGG as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Attire!
badge
What’s the difference between a poorly dressed man on a tricycle and a well-dressed man on a bicycle?
mbmbmb
(I wrote a long answer and there is no TL;DR)

I made my return back to D&D around 2001, but I did not go online for any support until around 2004. After visiting a few D&D sites, I spent most of my time on ENWORLD. It was a nice site with good folks, but I did feel that it was a little too focused on mix/maxing and optimizing play.

Around 2009, I started getting into the board game hobby. I eventually settled on Dice Tower for my primary source of reviews and news. However, I found that if I wanted more information about board games in general, Google led me to BGG, which I found to be immensely valuable. I lurked without an account for years, then I decided to get an account in 2013 because I wanted to access some files, but it would be three more years before I decided to post anything.

I noticed the RPGG almost as soon as I came to BGG, but I already had my website that catered to my favorite RPG. Eventually, I did wonder over to RPGG to take a look at what it offered. I like a lot of thing on the BGG side that I had expected to see in the RPGG side. My impression was that it was not the same, but that it was a good thing.

I stayed because the users on RPGG were much more supportive, welcoming, engaging, and knowledgeable about the RPG hobby than anywhere else. Sure, some users had their favorite system, but the engagements I saw did not focus on any one specific system (unless it was the subject) or how to optimize character builds, or "win the game". Instead, the discussions were about role playing, enjoying the game for what it was, and enjoying playing a role. Or designing a game, campaign, world, etc that allowed players to enjoy role playing.

If it wasn't for BBG though, I do not know if I would have found RPGG. And if it wasn't for the awesome people on RPGG, I wouldn't have stayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy McDaniel
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine kept sending me links to games on BGG, so sometimes I would use it as a resource. Happened to be looking at things one day when I noticed the 2017 new player initiative for pbf. I had played by forum on another forum and I was interested in trying it here because there were so many more types of games. The other site only played D&D which I like, but I wanted to try more. After that I was addicted and I am always around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb
BGG was the first thing that got me onto RPGG. Now I mostly stay here for RPGG with a bit of VGG. Funny how things turn out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Was on BGG before either RPGG or VGG existed. I jumped over here as soon as it went public after the beta. Aside from my subscriptions (mostly in the Wargames subdomain), I rarely visit BGG any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not "Happy"
mbmbmbmb
Heavy user of rpol for PbF, then probably discovered rpgg through bgg and stayed for the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to come to read some reviews. But then I played a PbF and stuck around. Again, like many it seems, I rarely go over to BGG (where I used to visit regularly (but not post so much)).

A big part of that is changing tastes, I don't want to play board games with strangers any more, but I love playing RPGs with my friends. So my hobby has 'shifted' and what I think about has shifted too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
bobcatt wrote:
This old man in a tavern sent me on a quest...

And though we had never met before, I immediately joined you as a completely-trusted ally. Even though you're an elf.

If you can't trust some random stranger you meet in a pub whilst under the influence of alcohol, who can you trust?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on BGG since 2010, only moderately active though; apparently, in 2011/12 I began lurking on PbF games here, and in 2012 joined my first Dungeon World foray.
Don't spend so much time on BGG anymore, nor on the other RPG online sites where I used to hang.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas (he/him)
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
N.K.Jemisin's "The Fifth Season" is awesome and fantastic.
mb
I was distantly aware of BGG since reading a detailed article full of suggestions for US folks visiting SPIEL, Essen. It's the sort of craziness that's sticks in my mind, and I don't mean that disparagingly. Crazy is alright.

Probably not long after I became aware of RPGG. I think I was looking for information on a game, and come up with rpg.net and rpggeek.com, I guess? I think there is some hiatus between when I created my account and actually using it to do anything here (submitting a weblink, to be specific - though I can't remember what entry it was for).

Then I got sucked into adding stuff to the database.

Took me quite a while before I joined any PBFs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I came across the site by somehow discovering a supplement I'd published was in the database. Then started adding my collection to the database. Then started adding items I had that were missing from the database. And went from there (essentially lurking for a while).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't long started using BGG to find new games when I saw all the chat around RPGs, and was then sitting around for months waiting for the start
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
New recruit to the spoonie army.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I used to play a lot of games, both RPGs and board games, with a then-more-active Geek user by the name of
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmb

He sent out an email to our gaming group, asking questions about our play styles and favourite themes for board games, wrote a geeklist on Jungian Archetypes for Gamers and sent me the link so I could read what he'd said about me. I poked around a bit after that, chatted with my husband who was also on the Geek about what exactly the point was, and my involvement escalated from there.

I stick around because of the people, PbFs, reviews, the holiday exchanges, and the competitions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Started on BGG over ten years ago, mainly because of the wargame sub-forum.

I knew of RPGG, but never paid much attention, until I suddenly decided to return to playing RPGs after having stopped for about thirty years.

So I started posting on RPGG in November 2017, because I had decades of role-playing information to catch up with.

Since I received tons of useful information, that encouraged me to join a Play by Forum game, and eventually to run a few of my own.

People on this forum are really nice.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Peters
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
I came across the site when I was campaigning for a spot as an ENnies judge. I stay because of the people, the Chains of Generosity and I like being able to catalog my RPG collection (still way behind on that). I also like the database and being able to find games I never would have heard about otherwise. "Random RPG Item" and I have gotten to know each other well.

I'm not a very active participant outside of the CoG and holiday exchange anymore but I still consider this my home on the 'net.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.