Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Ironsworn
Dark Streets & Darker Secrets
Star Wars Roleplaying Adversary Deck: Republic & Separatist II Adversary Deck
The Gathering Storm
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay: Game Master's Guide
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Tales from the Loop
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
DNH: The Haunting of Hastur - A Campaign (OSR Edition)
Ur-Turuk City Guide
Breaking the Ice
Lords of Creation
Pathfinder #031: Stolen Land
HS1: The Slaying Stone
Bloodsand Arena
Alien: FUZION - Stage One: The Basic Game
Alien Resurrection
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Box Set
Lure of Power
Pathfinder #055: The Wormwood Mutiny
Pathfinder #056: Raiders of the Fever Sea
Pathfinder #057: Tempest Rising
Pathfinder #059: The Price of Infamy
Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
The Enemy Within
Wrath of the Autarch
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Blades in the Dark
Curse of Strahd
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
Adventures in Middle-earth Loremaster's Guide
Starfinder Core Rulebook
Pathfinder #127: Crownfall
City of Mist Core Book
Book M
Bunnies & Burrows Fantasy Role Playing Game
Buildings of the Reikland
The Khyber Khronicle Volume 07
04-19-2019
Rebel Times (Issue 139 - Apr 2019)
Monster Manual (D&D 4e)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: Geek of the Month #426 - Doug (Irishman) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan R
United States
Where I’m supposed to be
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for late posting! No fooling here! (His 1st day was actually yesterday..) For info on The Geek of the Month: RPG_Geek_of_the_Week

Our next geek is Doug:

Doug Irishman
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
'Tis what it 'tis
mbmbmbmbmb

Here’s what he had to say about himself.

Bio:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
My earliest Role Playing memory is going into the toystore at my local mall with my brother (late 70s) and buying the blue box Dungeons and Dragons boxed set. I still have the blue-grey dice from that set. My brother ran me through Keep on the Borderlands, and I was absolutely hooked. I remember the awe of being 10 years old and getting my first +1 flaming sword.

In middle school I got into Top Secret, another TSR game. That was when roleplaying became part of me permanently. See I was what you would now call ADD, and "Autisim Spectrum". I know this because my children have it. But back then there were no labels nor treatment. My hippy mom took me off of red dye number five and any processed sugar. And my U.S. Marine Corps father figured he could make me less "hyperactive" by yelling at me and "thumping" me. Thats a nice way of getting smacked in the head.

Dungeons and Dragons became my escapism. I would run into that world when things were rough. I read Fantasy voraciously. If you could find any. Back then no one knew who JRR Tolkien was. I read him, along with Friz Leiber (Fathrid and the Grey mouser), Anne Mcaffery (Dragonriders of Pern), The Conan books, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, and a groundbreaking new series called Dragonlance.

But kids are resilient. And just like everyone else who got their rear end whooped in the 70s and 80s, I survived, and eventually thrived. I found a group of high school misfits, and we had late night sessions of Advanced DnD. But like many high-school boys, life interests eventually turned to cars and girls. My gaming days dwindled.

In College though, I was brought back into Roleplaying. There my Resident Director taught all of us Resident Assistants how to play this quirky game called Champions... a superhero game. He made all of us play it, jock, sorority girl, gamers and non gamers alike. It was great for team building. Any issues you had in real life would eventually work their ways out in a danger-room. Skip out on you turn at Duty (watching the dorm) one night, and your likely to get a batarang to the face the next.

Those were my best roll playing days. I still have all the old character sheets. Vagrant - the man with no face, Shadow and his 2 dimensional light absorbing powers, and Crow. Crow was a flying brick, part batman, part superman. Our Resident Director was the most amazing Game Master I ever had. His plots twisted and turned like O'Henry and Agatha Christie had an illegitimate comic book love child. I learned everything i needed to know about game mastering from him.

I met my future wife at that table. A dangerously beautiful warrior queen, who when pressed for a costume design said "What if I dont want a costume. If I'm so super powerful.. who is gonna stop me?" Thus was born Whisper.. the very powerful (and very naked) Goddess of Wind.

All good things end. After college came work, and marriage. I toyed a bit with Werewolf, and WEG star wars, and Mutants and Masterminds. But you know.. life.. All the roleplaying stuff was packed up in the attic. I made a decision when my children were born that I would expose them to all sorts of interests. I would show them music, sports, games, whatever they wanted. And I would love them for who they wanted to be. Not who I wanted them to be.

My role-playing became a thing of the past. I worked hard, raised a family. Found out I love being a dad, and i'm not terrible at it. The kids loved Halo, and Xbox, and playing board games, or guitar. I loved them for them. Role Playing never came up.

Until last year. My son, now a teenager, came to me one day and said, "Some kids on the bus were talking about a game. Its like Skyrim.. but you play it in your head? They want me to come over. Its called Dungeons and Dragons.. have you ever heard of it?"

My lovely bride looked over at me and smiled and said in the voice of Whisper, "Apples and trees husband... apples and trees"

It took me less than 10 minutes of rummaging in the attic to find my dice bag.

Poll
Two Truths and a Lie:
Bill Murray once ate a French Fry off my tray at a burger shop in Charleston.
Every year I get marched down main street of my home town with thousands clapping.
I have done Astronaut Training
      19 answers
Poll created by Vroomer

Now, for the friendly questions & queries!

Were/are you into NCAA March Madness?
If so, how’s your bracket?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
Congrats Doug!

Two questions:

1. If you could pick a superpower to have, which and why?

2. As an Irishman in the States, I'm genuinely curious what your thoughts are on our celebrations of St. Patrick's Day?

Have a good month of gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quaid
United States
flag msg tools
designer
There are great things afoot.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Doug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Doug! Enjoy your week month in the spotlight! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Doug!
Hope you have a wizard of a month!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Congrats Doug! Have a fun and fruitful month of gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Irishman
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
'Tis what it 'tis
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the kind words. I think it is so very fitting that I was chosen to be Geek of the Week on April 1st. Before I start reveling in the fun and answering questions, I would like to share my intentions for the next nomination.

I am very interested in contributing to the revitalization if the RPG Geek of the Week (Month) program. So rather than hand off to a friend who may or may not be really excited, i am going to do the following:

If you are interested in following me as the next RPG Geek of the week, post in this thread “I am interested!”. At the end of the month I will randomly pick someone from this thread. If we get enough people, I will cut my rein In half and pick a new person mid month, to allow more Geek Love to go around!

I will take time to answer questions this evening as I am in a meeting, and my fellow coworkers think I am answering an important text. I should probably get back to work!

Thanks again for being able to participate and keep rolling those dice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Doug on being Geek of the Month

d10-1 Bucket of dice or minimal dice?

d10-2 What is your most used RPG book?

d10-3 What is your most prized RPG possession?

d10-4 If you could visit any RPG world for real which would it be?

d10-5 If you could own for real one item off one of your player character's character Sheets, what would it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Doug! Enjoy your special month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Irishman
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
'Tis what it 'tis
mbmbmbmbmb
Vroomer wrote:

Were/are you into NCAA March Madness?
If so, how’s your bracket?

I am not into NCAA March Madness. I have relatives who are fanatical Chapel Hill fans. Fanatical. They attended university there, and apparently never left. Even some 30 years later. Many people love it, its just not my cup of tea.

mawilson4 wrote:
Congrats Doug!
1. If you could pick a superpower to have, which and why?

2. As an Irishman in the States, I'm genuinely curious what your thoughts are on our celebrations of St. Patrick's Day?

1: Teleportation. Preferably mass teleportation, where I can bring a certain amount of people/weight with me. The idea I could go anywhere in the world instantly would be fantastic. Mostly though, for the food.

2: Saint Patrick's day is VERY different in Ireland. It is a Saints Day, and to many of an earlier generation a Holy Day of Obligation. (Though this is not officially sanctioned by the church, it is not discouraged either).

Our family traditions are as such:
1: Wake up, and go to Mass
2: Go out to lunch as a large family (or meet for lunch at someones house, usually mine)
3: In the afternoon go visit the family gravesite, and tend to the shrubs, talk to my grandfather, pour him a bit of the black stuff, and then lie down on my grave and count my blessings.

If we can get enough people that evening, we have a Ceili, where we all sit in a circle in the back yard and play Trad music, and have a few beverages and tell a lot of stories.

The massive partying and drinking is really an Irish-american invention. Although in Dublin its starting to catch on a bit. They do have parades in Ireland now, though those were imported from the US in the 1960s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Strike Force was robbed!
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
What instrument(s) do you play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
Fascinating response on the St. Patrick's Day question. I learned some new things today. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Irishman
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
'Tis what it 'tis
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:

When I was little my family voted that I should learn tin whistle, as it is the only instrument that would plug my mouth shut. I can hold a tune just fine, but my voice has the tonal quality of a chainsaw going through a boars backside.

But I showed them!I learned to play my great grandfathers mandolin. They couldnt keep me out of the circle with that instrument. I sang anyway.

I also do a bit of bodhran and guitar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Doug, enjoy your month!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Doug, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
irishman wrote:
sdonohue wrote:

When I was little my family voted that I should learn tin whistle, as it is the only instrument that would plug my mouth shut. I can hold a tune just fine, but my voice has the tonal quality of a chainsaw going through a boars backside.

But I showed them!I learned to play my great grandfathers mandolin. They couldnt keep me out of the circle with that instrument. I sang anyway.

I also do a bit of bodhran and guitar.

Congratulations Doug! What traditional Irish song describes best your great-grandfather?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Doug!

Do you collect dice or have any really cool ones?

Enjoy your time in the spotlight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb
Congratz!

To you, what is the meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Irishman
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
'Tis what it 'tis
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugavine wrote:
Congrats Doug on being Geek of the Month

d10-5 If you could own for real one item off one of your player character's character Sheets, what would it be?

Q1: I have a massive dice sack (hur hur hur), that now belongs to my son. I am fully in the large bucket of dice. However I only use CLEAR dice. CLEAR dice have been proven to roll much more evenly than opaque dice. If you hear of anyone doing the "salt test", like 80% of all opaque dice have internal bubbles that cause one number to be favored.

Q2: that iss a tough one. In college it was Champions Classic Enemies. Post College it was probably my Star Wars Saga Edition Powers of the Force book.

Q3: My Original copy of AD&D Deities and Demigods with the Cthulhu and Elric gods in it. I bought it off the shelf. (IM OLD! HORRAY!)

Q4: I dont think Star Wars counts, because its not an RPG world, but rather a movie world people have made an RPG in. I think I would like to be a Werewolf or Corax in the Werewolf the Apocalypse world.

Q5: Flametounge, the +1 Flaming sword which was the very first magic item my very first character received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monsieur Hisound
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Irishman
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
'Tis what it 'tis
mbmbmbmbmb
M Hisound wrote:

YES! I got a package!

*UNWRAPS IT*

The Keys to a Bugatti Veyron! What I have allways wanted!

Thank you Hisound!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Irishman
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
'Tis what it 'tis
mbmbmbmbmb
ooozan wrote:
Congratz!

To you, what is the meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything?

There is only one choice that is important in life. To give Love or not give Love. Everything else doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Irishman
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
'Tis what it 'tis
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:

Congratulations Doug! What traditional Irish song describes best your great-grandfather?

This is I think the most difficult question I have ever been asked. My Great Grandfather passed when I was 2, so I have no memory of him. My opinion comes from reams of family stories that have been passed down. The challenge is that in our family, we never let The Truth get in the way of a good story.

So I have this image of a older man, filled with life, and laughter, and a love of music and beauty.

I would say "The Bard of Armagh"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7uNwuot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monsieur Hisound
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
irishman wrote:
M Hisound wrote:

YES! I got a package!

*UNWRAPS IT*

The Keys to a Bugatti Veyron! What I have allways wanted!

Thank you Hisound!

roll 1d20 + 7 GOTW bonus + 1 Bugatti bonus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Doug!

d10-1 What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2 Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3 Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4 Having fun?
d10-5 What would have been your name if it wasn't the name you have?
d10-6 What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8 What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?
d10-1d10-2 What is your favourite RPG race/class?
d10-1d10-3 If you could go back in time - where and when would you go?
d10-1d10-4 Could you enlighten us about your avatar?
d10-1d10-5 Where does your username come from? (Or why you chose it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.