Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Ironsworn
Dark Streets & Darker Secrets
Star Wars Roleplaying Adversary Deck: Republic & Separatist II Adversary Deck
The Gathering Storm
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay: Game Master's Guide
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Tales from the Loop
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
DNH: The Haunting of Hastur - A Campaign (OSR Edition)
Ur-Turuk City Guide
Breaking the Ice
Lords of Creation
Pathfinder #031: Stolen Land
HS1: The Slaying Stone
Bloodsand Arena
Alien: FUZION - Stage One: The Basic Game
Alien Resurrection
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Box Set
Lure of Power
Pathfinder #055: The Wormwood Mutiny
Pathfinder #056: Raiders of the Fever Sea
Pathfinder #057: Tempest Rising
Pathfinder #059: The Price of Infamy
Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
The Enemy Within
Wrath of the Autarch
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Blades in the Dark
Curse of Strahd
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
Adventures in Middle-earth Loremaster's Guide
Starfinder Core Rulebook
Pathfinder #127: Crownfall
City of Mist Core Book
Book M
Bunnies & Burrows Fantasy Role Playing Game
Buildings of the Reikland
The Khyber Khronicle Volume 07
04-19-2019
Rebel Times (Issue 139 - Apr 2019)
Monster Manual (D&D 4e)
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
I went to the zoo and saw a baguette in a cage. The zookeeper said it was bread in captivity!
mbmbmb
A question suggested by

Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Can you determine if a new RPG will become highly successful when it is first published? How do you manage to make that determination?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
No...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in the "I have a crystal ball so I know this will sky-rocket" way, but sometimes it's obvious that a game has traction and will be hugely popular.

The most obvious of which in the recent years has been:
Lady Blackbird
Fiasco
Blades in the Dark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
Can you determine if a new RPG will become highly successful when it is first published? How do you manage to make that determination?

Well, it's quite easy:

It's the new RPG D&D?

Yes: E Highly successful

No: E Not highly successful*

laugh

* Maybe it will have a limited success, only not in the realm of high success...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I've been doing new release stuff for years, and I'm often surprised by the highs and lows. And that's only if you can get some sort of reliable sales info.

Also, "highly successful" is a sliding scale depending on the size of the publisher and project.

The only good prediction that I've made in the last several years is that I thought Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition) would easily surpass Pathfinder Roleplaying Game as the top dog in the industry. (If you go back in time, that wasn't a sure thing kids!) That was just a gut feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
Not in the "I have a crystal ball so I know this will sky-rocket" way, but sometimes it's obvious that a game has traction and will be hugely popular.

The most obvious of which in the recent years has been:
Lady Blackbird
Fiasco
Blades in the Dark

never heard of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no but I can tell easily if it'll be a flash in the pan or not. That's a lot easier to determine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If it’s not a new version of D&D or CoC, and if it’s not a reprint of a famous rpg from the 80s or 90s that everyone will buy but no one will play, then no, it’s not going to be successful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather hard to define what highly successful actually means. I would suggest "provides the publisher and the designers with a stable, long term job at the very least."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly Successful...

As noted, if we're talking about commercial success, then yes. You can predict that. D&D's next edition will be the next "highly successful" game. Nothing else will be "highly successful" in the broad, commercial sense. Pathfinder was a fluke that probably will never repeat. Even games like the Fantasy Trip Legacy Edition, while obviously commercially successful, would not really qualify as "highly successful" in the broad sense.

If we're talking about niche success, then no, you can't really predict it. There are plenty of games that "succeed" by some other standard. They either make some money (Numenera) or make the designer famous (Lasers & Feelings) or hit some other criteria that makes the industry notice.

If we're talking about "highly successful" meaning something along the lines of "a bunch of gamers enjoy the hell out of it" then there are plenty of games that hit that criteria and it's a little easier to predict. Any blowout kickstarter is likely to produce a "highly successful" product in this sense. Anything by Jason Morningstar or Meguey Baker is likely to do it.

In a broader scope, though, nobody, ever, anywhere, throughout history, has ever been able to successfully predict the next big thing. In any category. Who'd have guessed that my tweenage girls would be digging through mom's old boxes for bell-bottom hip-huggers? Or that the Spanish Armada would lose. Or that Adam would survey all of paradise and decide to follow Eve. Seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Azukail wrote:
Rather hard to define what highly successful actually means. I would suggest "provides the publisher and the designers with a stable, long term job at the very least."
The fact that this is the proposed definition of "highly successful" shows what a niche market RPGs are. "highly successful" = "two or three people can quit their day jobs for a year or two". In nearly any other industry, that might be better defined as "struggling to get by".

Even by that definition, I think you can count on one hand the number of SINGLE games that meet that definition. You can find multiple game companies that can hire actual employees, but they are never just about a single game, they are selling multiple games.

I suggest that in the modern context, "highly successful" for indie games means:

* A reasonably designed Kickstarter is conducted (e.g. the goal covers all costs and incorporates a profit, there are not crazy lists of stretch goals)
* The Kickstarter funds successfully.
* The Kickstarter delivers within 3 months of its stated delivery time.

Its that last bullet that makes it HIGHLY successful; almost no one achieves that.

For games put out by a company (e.g. Modiphius, Cubicle 7, etc.) I really have no idea.

My answer to the QotD is no, not really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
Azukail wrote:
The fact that this is the proposed definition of "highly successful" shows what a niche market RPGs are. "highly successful" = "two or three people can quit their day jobs for a year or two". In nearly any other industry, that might be better defined as "struggling to get by".

Even by that definition, I think you can count on one hand the number of SINGLE games that meet that definition. You can find multiple game companies that can hire actual employees, but they are never just about a single game, they are selling multiple games.

Yeah, almost no RPG does this. I believe Fred has gone back to having some other type of job at Evil Hat. Shadowrun, I think, has 1 permanent employee. I know someone who was up for a more permanent gig there, so they could have moved up to 2 or 3. Margret Weiss Productions, I think, might have had one full time employee.

I do not think that D&D really has that many fulltime employees. Part of that is a lack of need due to a slower production schedule.

skalchemist wrote:
I suggest that in the modern context, "highly successful" for indie games means:

* A reasonably designed Kickstarter is conducted (e.g. the goal covers all costs and incorporates a profit, there are not crazy lists of stretch goals)
* The Kickstarter funds successfully.
* The Kickstarter delivers within 3 months of its stated delivery time.

Its that last bullet that makes it HIGHLY successful; almost no one achieves that.

Sweet. I am highly successful. Or technically doubly highly successful because I did that twice

As for the QotD, I do not really think that any RPG is highly successful. But, in terms of being somewhat of a success, here is what I think:

1. It is D&D
2. It is Star Wars (under most situations)
3. It is a new edition of a long establish RPG, e.g. Shadowrun, CoC, Vampire, etc.

If it is a licensed IP, then I give it a reasonable chance of being successful. I would not say that these games usually enjoy the popularity of the other 3. For example, I am sure that Conan and Star Trek have sold well. I would not think that their sales are close to the three I mentioned.

If we move the bar down even lower to say that something is a game that has a significant enough following that it at least enjoys occasional discussion on an RPG board, then I usually cannot. PbtA games are popularish on these boards. I do not know why. They have multiple games based on the system. Dungeon World is the most popular of those. There is nothing about that game of that system that would have made me predict that.

I am tempted to say that if there is a designer that has a following, that ends up running a massive kickstarter, then it will be a success. But I am not sure about that. Monty Cook has done a good job at least making a partial living from large kickstarters. I do not see people discuss his games. I do not really see anyone play it. They do have some type of organized play that started recently. So, maybe his games.

On the other hand, there is the 7th Sea. That one seemed huge. It seemed like a niche game to me. People did discuss the game. However, even if we ignore the failed stretch rewards and just look at the core game, it does not seem like a success to me. To me, it seems more like nostaligia for the game, combined with people wanting to support the designer led to a massive success. However, that is essentially 95% o the audience for 7th Sea, so there is almost no room to grow. Unlike Monty Cook, which I believe does have some following and has increased sales of products after a Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
SteamCraft wrote:
PbtA games are popularish on these boards. I do not know why. They have multiple games based on the system. Dungeon World is the most popular of those. There is nothing about that game of that system that would have made me predict that.

Influential designer with multiple previous critically-acclaimed designs. DITV specifically won multiple Indie RPG awards its year of publication (which is a niche but influential award) and was nominated for the Diana Jones award the year after that.

For my own answer, I look at the community around it. If people are excited about the game, it will probably become a hit (to the extent that non-D&D RPGs are hits). If those people are well-known influencers in the community, the odds go up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, pretty sure if I say "no, it will not" every time, I'll be pretty accurate.

No clue though. An RPG can be literally unplayable and win awards, so its all incomprehensible to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
No clue though. An RPG can be literally unplayable and win awards, so its all incomprehensible to me.

I assume you mean awards other than "Worst RPG of the Year"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Azukail wrote:
..."Worst RPG of the Year"?

That award is a golden ticket for a couple weeks of great sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just follow the nostalgia...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Anderson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
A question suggested by

Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

No. If I could, perhaps I would go into the RPG publishing business, rather than staying in librarianship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt there is a reliable method to predict success (depending on the criteria chosen).

I backed a Kickstarter for a new RPG edition that traded heavily on the nostalgia factor. There was much anticipation amongst the faithful. It was fully backed in days, and finished at 10x the initially asked amount.

The end result was delivered late (despite being told at the outset that everything was finished and only required printing), was of indifferent physical quality, and lacked adequate proofreading (despite nearly everyone on staff claiming to have such expertise). I have heard of few actual games being played, relative to the initial hype.

Successful? Possibly in terms of the monies collected, but I have no idea what sums their fulfilment overhead ran to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
For participants of past projects we've run here, it may be interesting to see the DriveThru "sales" numbers. They're all free products, so the sales income for everything combined is (alas) zero. But, units sold for free, as of today,

1090 - RPG Geek Random Tables
492 - The Breached Fortress of Anoros
477 - The Tartarus Gambit
205 - Warlock's Journal (Issue 28 - Jul 2016)
204 - Warlock's Journal (Issue 32 - May 2017)

I consider them highly successful because they were a heck of a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit off topic, but as it's come up (it's your fault Clark!), did I read about Warlock's Journal being ended? If so, why was that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Warlock's Journal ended. The creator/sponsor decided it had run its course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
William Goldman (RIP) wrote:
NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING. Not one person in the entire motion picture field knows for a certainty what's going to work. Every time out it's a guess—and, if you're lucky, an educated one.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Adventures_in_the_Screen_Trade

As for movies, so for RPGs, and anything, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
trystero11 wrote:
NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING. Not one person in the entire motion picture field knows for a certainty what's going to work. Every time out it's a guess—and, if you're lucky, an educated one.

Not necessarily true anymore. Di$ney has it pretty much down - at least for Marvel. There is an entire process from conception, to filming, to secret screenings, to reshoots, to promotion, etc. The production is very formulaic now.

They tried doing the same with the past three Star Wars films. It has not gone over as well for the last two of them. Seems Star Wars fans don't exactly fit the same mold as superhero fans and are much harder to please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SteamCraft wrote:
trystero11 wrote:

Not necessarily true anymore. Di$ney has it pretty much down - at least for Marvel. There is an entire process from conception, to filming, to secret screenings, to reshoots, to promotion, etc. The production is very formulaic now.

They tried doing the same with the past three Star Wars films. It has not gone over as well for the last two of them. Seems Star Wars fans don't exactly fit the same mold as superhero fans and are much harder to please.

You’re right about the formulaic production for movies such as the ones you mention, but then, I don’t consider such movies original or creative. I think they’re mostly commercial junk. But to be honest, I don’t belong to the target demographic anymore ;-)

I sincerely hope that in our little hobby we don’t go down the path of formulaic adventures. The equivalent of the above movies would be a generic dungeon with some easy monsters up front, a difficult trap in the middle, and a big fight at the end. Boring as hell.

P.s. Funny tou use Di$ney. Reminds of the old Usenet days when everyone would use T$R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.