World of Lazarus
Rebel Times (Issue 139 - Apr 2019)
Mythic
Mythic Game Master Emulator
L-1: City of Lies
RuneQuest Pirates
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
Advanced Race Guide
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Enter the Unknown
The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse
Feats Reforged Vol. III: The Combat Feats
Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk
Feats Reforged Vol. IV: The Magic Feats
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Tome of Secrets (V20 Dark Ages)
Tales from the Loop
Realms of Terrinoth
Ironsworn
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Bunnies & Burrows Fantasy Role Playing Game
Dark Streets & Darker Secrets
The Book of Many Things Campaign Exclusive Content
The Witch of Underwillow
Fireball
A Friend in Need
Volo's Complete Subrace Handbook
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Star Frontiers
Fiend Folio
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: Best Playing Order of the Original AD&D Modules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt this has ever been asked or done before but what is the best playing/running order of the original AD&D modules?

I want to take my group through as many of the classic ones as possible, keeping the slow progression of their levels in mind. I'm limiting it to modules starting from '79 and ending in '83 with the introduction of Ravenloft and when the I series wraps up.

We're currently playing B2 - Keep on the Borderlands (Because if you're going to do this that's where you have to start!) and I'm just trying to map out the next logical module/series after that. (BTW, yes I know technically B2 is Basic D&D but it has always been great launching point)

And are any of the Judges Guild's worth it? Dark Tower?

Thanks! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the most logical answer will be to go by the levels the adventures are aimed at.

If you are willing to go past the I series, try H1-4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's after Ravenloft, but UK5 might be worth a look. It's fairly short and not the mpst celebrated module, but there are some fun things for a DM to work with.

If you're not limiting yourself to AD&D, the B series has some great stuff.

And if you kill off all the characters in B2, you can always restart with Treasure Hunt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
This wikipedia page lists all the TSR modules - with the target levels noted - arranged by letter code (which also tells you the target system and setting):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_m...

There were some good Judges Guild modules, too. I remember Dark Tower being one of the better one, and Caverns of Thracia. Tarantis was quite good, but it was system-agnostic (using Judges Guild Universal Format).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is complicated. I do not know about best order. There is also an issue of the modules you should play overlapping levels.

After B2, I would move on to T1. Now, here is where things get complicated. What you would want to do is the Temple of Elemental Evil. That combines T1 with T2-4. However, those just came out as a supermodule. The problem here is that while they were written around your time limitations, they were not printing until 1985.

If you do the full Temple of Elemental Evil, that would take you to level 8. From there, you go on to the D series.

If you don't do T1-4, then after B2 I would go with L1 or L2. I prefer L1, but others prefer L2. You could do them both, I am just worried about levels. With B2 already completed you will be pushing the levels of either of these modules since they are just from levels 2-4

Once you get to level 5, then I would go with S2, S4, and S1. Or, what might be better is to do S2, then D1-3. After that, then do S1. I think the D series is better, but you might substitute G 1-3 for D.

As I said, so many classic modules with levels overlapping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tully
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2004, Dungeon put out the best modules of all time, comprised from the top ten list of their panelists. A lot of these are going to be available through Drivethrurpg.com. Here is the list in order.

1.GDQ1-7 Queen of the Spiders
2.I6 Ravenloft
3.S1 Tomb of Horrors
4.T1-4 The Temple of Elemental Evil
5.S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
6.I3-5 Desert of Desolation
7.B2 The Keep on the Borderlands
8.Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
9.S2 White Plume Mountain
10.Return to the Tomb of Horrors
11.Gates of Firestorm Peak
12.The Forge of Fury
13.I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City
14.Dead Gods
15.X2 Castle Amber (Chateau d’Amberville)
16.X1 The Isle of Dread
17.The Ruins of Undermountain
18.C1 Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
19.N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God
20.A1-4 Scourge of the Slavelords
21.Dark Tower (Judge's Guild)
22.S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
23.WG4 The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun
24.City of the Spider Queen
25.DL1 Dragons of Despair
26.WGR6 The City of Skulls
27.U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
28.B4 The Lost City
29.L2 The Assassin’s Knot
30.C2 The Ghost Tower of Inverness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
skullchrist wrote:
I doubt this has ever been asked or done before but what is the best playing/running order of the original AD&D modules?

They don't form any continuity; any order you pick is arbitrary.

Some with no relationship make nice pairings, like U1: The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh followed by X1: The Isle of Dread, but those two aren't technically the same system
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteamCraft wrote:
This is complicated. I do not know about best order. There is also an issue of the modules you should play overlapping levels.

After B2, I would move on to T1. Now, here is where things get complicated. What you would want to do is the Temple of Elemental Evil. That combines T1 with T2-4. However, those just came out as a supermodule. The problem here is that while they were written around your time limitations, they were not printing until 1985.

If you do the full Temple of Elemental Evil, that would take you to level 8. From there, you go on to the D series.

If you don't do T1-4, then after B2 I would go with L1 or L2. I prefer L1, but others prefer L2. You could do them both, I am just worried about levels. With B2 already completed you will be pushing the levels of either of these modules since they are just from levels 2-4

Once you get to level 5, then I would go with S2, S4, and S1. Or, what might be better is to do S2, then D1-3. After that, then do S1. I think the D series is better, but you might substitute G 1-3 for D.

As I said, so many classic modules with levels overlapping.

Thanks!!

This is kind of what I was looking for.

Cheers. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azukail wrote:
I think the most logical answer will be to go by the levels the adventures are aimed at.

Doesn't this need the Battlesystems? Never used that at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knightemplar wrote:
In 2004, Dungeon put out the best modules of all time, comprised from the top ten list of their panelists. A lot of these are going to be available through Drivethrurpg.com. Here is the list in order.

1.GDQ1-7 Queen of the Spiders
2.I6 Ravenloft
3.S1 Tomb of Horrors
4.T1-4 The Temple of Elemental Evil
5.S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
6.I3-5 Desert of Desolation
7.B2 The Keep on the Borderlands
8.Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
9.S2 White Plume Mountain
10.Return to the Tomb of Horrors
11.Gates of Firestorm Peak
12.The Forge of Fury
13.I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City
14.Dead Gods
15.X2 Castle Amber (Chateau d’Amberville)
16.X1 The Isle of Dread
17.The Ruins of Undermountain
18.C1 Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
19.N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God
20.A1-4 Scourge of the Slavelords
21.Dark Tower (Judge's Guild)
22.S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
23.WG4 The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun
24.City of the Spider Queen
25.DL1 Dragons of Despair
26.WGR6 The City of Skulls
27.U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
28.B4 The Lost City
29.L2 The Assassin’s Knot
30.C2 The Ghost Tower of Inverness

Yep, seen this. Actually kind of modeling my module use off this list (I went through a lot of these myself back in the day)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
skullchrist wrote:
Azukail wrote:

Doesn't this need the Battlesystems? Never used that at all.

Needs it for the first, optional for the third. The second is an underground crawl; the fourth is in the Abyss. Armies of demons would be bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, A1-4 is often on a list of highly rated adventures. I have never played it. However, I know that it is a bit divisive due to a few factors. Primarily, the adventure is too railroady for many people. The game has some built in punishments for players not doing certain things or failing. There is not a lot of story with the original modules either The quality of the original production is criticized due to lack of editing and some organizational choices.

On the other hand, many have praised it due to some unique and ingenious aspects of the adventures. The supermodule released later on addresses some of the storyline issues and beefs up the plot a bit.

So I would suggest that if you ever consider running it, you read up on some of the reviews to see if they would work for what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I remembered something like this and just stumbled across it again:

"The 152-page supermodule bears the code "GDQ1–7" for "Giants, Drow and Queen," and can be further combined with two other campaigns to form an even larger campaign. The larger campaign begins with T1–4, The Temple of Elemental Evil, continues on to A1–4, Scourge of the Slave Lords, and concludes with GDQ1–7."

Went threw a lot of these as regular modules. The supermodules didn't come until later.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trencher for Life
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteamCraft wrote:
BTW, A1-4 is often on a list of highly rated adventures. I have never played it. However, I know that it is a bit divisive due to a few factors. Primarily, the adventure is too railroady for many people. The game has some built in punishments for players not doing certain things or failing. There is not a lot of story with the original modules either The quality of the original production is criticized due to lack of editing and some organizational choices.

On the other hand, many have praised it due to some unique and ingenious aspects of the adventures. The supermodule released later on addresses some of the storyline issues and beefs up the plot a bit.

So I would suggest that if you ever consider running it, you read up on some of the reviews to see if they would work for what you want.

One of the things in A1 that had me confused was a COURTYARD that had a wight lurking there, WITH NO WAY TO GET TO IT. The module says that the orcs will chase the PCs to the courtyard, and then block the exit so the wight will kill them. How? Using passwall?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
G1. G2. G3, D1, D2, D3, Q1.

White Plume Mountain before Tomb of Annihilation.

I think that's all the AD&D published modules I've run in sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, if you were willing to keep to the BECMI modules, either as is or adapting them to AD&D, and alter your time period, there is a series of modules with a pretty logical playing order - B, X, CM, M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Azukail wrote:
You know, if you were willing to keep to the BECMI modules, either as is or adapting them to AD&D, and alter your time period, there is a series of modules with a pretty logical playing order - B, X, CM, M.

B2 should come before B1, and you can't make it through more that half before leveling out of the B-series... there are 9 of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
Azukail wrote:

B2 should come before B1, and you can't make it through more that half before leveling out of the B-series... there are 9 of them.

Actually, I have three modules beyond nine, Night's Dark Terror, King's Festival and Queen's Harvest.

If you went with a slow advancement, you might be able to play them all. B1-9 was (sort of, modified) intended to use all of 1 to 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.