World of Lazarus
Rebel Times (Issue 139 - Apr 2019)
Mythic
Mythic Game Master Emulator
L-1: City of Lies
RuneQuest Pirates
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
Advanced Race Guide
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Enter the Unknown
The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse
Feats Reforged Vol. III: The Combat Feats
Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk
Feats Reforged Vol. IV: The Magic Feats
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Tome of Secrets (V20 Dark Ages)
Tales from the Loop
Realms of Terrinoth
Ironsworn
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Bunnies & Burrows Fantasy Role Playing Game
Dark Streets & Darker Secrets
The Book of Many Things Campaign Exclusive Content
The Witch of Underwillow
Fireball
A Friend in Need
Volo's Complete Subrace Handbook
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Star Frontiers
Fiend Folio
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Attire!
badge
What’s the difference between a poorly dressed man on a tricycle and a well-dressed man on a bicycle?
mbmbmb
A question suggested by

Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Have you played an RPG that had a corresponding tabletop game? Which did you like better and why?

(example: Infinity RPG and Infinity Corvus Belli miniatures wargame published by Modiphius)

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love CoC and a lot of the Cthulhoid board and card games.

So, yes.

Same for Star Wars and Star Trek. Warhammer; Probably others.

Have game, will play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tough
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I have! I'm GMing Wrath & Glory for my RPG group and also running a mini narrative campaign of Shadow War: Armageddon that's linked to it. The former is the main game and the latter represents a small commando group under the PC's command that undertakes side missions to help them out. As for which one I like better... Shadow War is quicker play and easier rules while I find some of Wrath and Glory to be a bit fiddly. I'm an RPG person at heart so I prefer Wrath and Glory, although with that said I haven't given up on the FFG 40k RPGs just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. I played Warhammer Fantasy Wargames and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. I much prefer the RPG which is more "zero to hero" than the "big damn heroes" of the mini game. Oh, Blood Bowl and now Blitz Bowl are two of my favorite board games.

Legend of the Five Rings has always been a RPG that just falls short of clicking with me. On the other hand, we had a good time with Clan War back in the day. No surprise, the mini game is just more straightforward.

Dungeons & Dragons has a recent history of solid board games. I'd rather RPG, but I'm always down for a game of Lords of Waterdeep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious giant during the 80s and 90s: Warhammer.
WFRP and WFB shared the same universe - they started to diverge starting from WFB 4th (to make the universe more suitable for army lists and competition formats), but later re-merged (I think).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb
D&D has a board game but I feel like most of the sales come from people who just want the miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I played Warhammer: The Game of Fantasy Battles (5th Edition) and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (1st Edition). That's the big one. WHFB was a glorious mess of rules, but I did have fun with it for a good long while, and that's what got me into painting miniatures. The Old World is a really excellent, well-developed setting for both wargames and RPGs. I think WFRP is the better game (especially the 2nd edition), though of course they're driving at very different things.

I've also played Iron Kingdoms Full Metal Fantasy Roleplaying Game, which has a corresponding miniatures game, Warmachine. Which is an okay game, though one I never really got into. I had problems with the RPG, which frustrated my attempts to build characters that were both interesting and useful.

I've played West End Star Wars, though I don't know that there's a directly attached game to that one. There are a myriad of other Star Wars games, though, and I've played a lot of those. Many of those games have their charms. Some of them are really good.

Lots of good stuff there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
Knight Hawks?

It was OK for fighters but I liked playing Star Frontiers better for making the "team" more cohesive and reducing individual downtime, particularly in larger battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
If Dungeon! counts as the board game version of Dungeons & Dragons (Original Edition), then yes. Liked the RPG a lot better. Because I like RPGs a lot better.

I've owned the D&D boardgame but never got 'round to playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game once. There was zero role playing. The scenario was very time driven (and I believe this is true of most of the scenarios). It was very tactical, almost puzzly. Despite the fact that I'm primarily a board gamer, I'd much prefer to play a D&D RPG than a D&D board game.

I have also played, and liked, Lords of Waterdeep. But I don't considered it a board game for the RPG. Rather it is a board game set in the same world as some D&D adventures. Similar to Risk:Star Wars's relationship to a Star Wars RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking through my BGG list, I found the interesting case of Deadlands (Original Edition) - Deadlands: The Great Rail Wars - Savage Worlds. For those that don't know, Great Rail Wars was the inspiration for Savage Worlds.

I'm a roller coaster on Savage Worlds. Great Rail Wars was a pretty cool mini game with inconsistent support. On a given day, there's a 50/50 chance which I like better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
Another shoutout for Lords of Waterdeep, which is excellent. I briefly had Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game, but ended up cannibalizing it for RPG parts (the tiles and minis are cool), then getting rid of the rest. I really did think I would play it, but then realized it was too close to D&D - but significantly simplified - for me to enjoy it.

Basically, the depth and length of RPGs makes them an unfair comparison to board games, bc they serve different roles. I play board games a ton, but it's a different dynamic. So the only board games I'd prefer are likely for RPG systems I haven't had time to get into, where I'd rather play a BG than an RPG one-shot. Star Wars is an example. If I could play in a SW campaign, it would win every time. But given my current schedule, give me a transient board game instead. Or Lovecraftian BGs, which might not be the same license as the CoC RPG but certainly exist in the same thematic space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
Oh, I do think board games handle mysteries better than RPGs I've seen, so give me something like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases over a Holmes RPG. Admittedly, I've not played a Holmes RPG; but mysteries in RPGs in general tend to be clunkier. More bounded structure can sometimes be a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AD&D vs. Spellfire~ I had a lot of fun with both equally.

D&D 3.0 vs. Legend of Drizzt~ After the newness of LoD wore off, it wasn't much fun anymore so the pen and paper version!

Iron Kingdoms rpg vs. Warmachine~ the IK rpg did not utilize the D&D 3.0 mechanics that well and therefore I felt it did not measure up to its wargame counterpart. Even so I do like the rpg but not as much as the miniatures game.

Realms of Terrinoth vs. DiskWars~ While I would love to play in the setting, I dislike the Genesys rpg system. DiskWars was my first FFG purchase and while I no longer play it (no longer in consistant contact with fellow players), I cannot get myself to throw away my DiskWars.

Shadow of the Beanstalk vs. Android boardgame~ Like Realms of Terrinoth, want to play in the setting but dislike Genesys. The Android boardgame is such a unique experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
I played the D&D adventure system games (Castle Ravenloft etc.). They are okay but very gamey. That said, it was fine when I didn't feel like DMing.

Played Lords of Waterdeep; didn't care for it. If you put a D&D coat of paint on a spreadsheet Euro, it's still a spreadsheet Euro.

I've played Arkham Horror and was enamored with it for a while but now have zero desire to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
Have you played an RPG that had a corresponding tabletop game? Which did you like better and why?

Heavy Gear (2nd Edition) vs. Heavy Gear Tactical? I liked the RPG better: the tabletop game was fine, but geared (ha!) towards at least 15 gears for each side, and those rules were a bit impractical with so many units.

(I remember having fun with Heavy Gear and Heavy Gear II also, but this is maybe for another QOTD...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry B.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
They are okay but very gamey.

?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
D&D / D&D Miniatures - prefer the RPG

FFG RPGs / Warhammer 40K - prefer the tabletop game, but the RPGs are excellent.

Star Wars RPGs / Star Wars Miniatures - prefer the RPG, but love the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Leonhard
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In every instance I can think of where an existing RPG had boardgame spinoffs, the boardgame was a mere trifle gaining a thematic frisson by its connection to the RPG. A couple of examples I've enjoyed beyond the multitude of D&D and Call of Cthulhu spinoffs which have already been mentioned:

Gamma World (3rd Edition) and Gammarauders
Paranoia (Mongoose Edition) and Paranoia Mandatory Bonus Fun! Card Game

There are also cases where an existing boardgame had an RPG spinoff. For me those RPGs were mainly a way to expand enjoyment of the boardgame, rather than something to enjoy purely on their own terms.

Car Wars and GURPS Autoduel
BattleTech and MechWarrior
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
cleonhard wrote:
In every instance I can think of where an existing RPG had boardgame spinoffs, the boardgame was a mere trifle gaining a thematic frisson by its connection to the RPG.

There are also cases where an existing boardgame had an RPG spinoff. For me those RPGs were mainly a way to expand enjoyment of the boardgame, rather than something to enjoy purely on their own terms.

This is an interesting dichotomy, and a pretty accurate summation of what the relationship between the RPG and the board game is supposed to provide to the gamer.

I'll posit that there are two more cases. Less interestingly is the case where there's an intellectual property that the game is tapping into. Let's call this the "Star Wars" case. In that case the different games are looking to promote different play experiences, some of which do a better job than others.

The more interesting case is where there's parallel development of the intellectual property in the RPG and the associated board game. Warhammer Fantasy is the best example I can see here. The parallel development of the RPG and the tabletop miniatures game led to cross-seeding between the two implementations, and there are some really interesting things to have come out of that relationship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
Birmy wrote:
dysjunct wrote:
They are okay but very gamey.

?

Meaning, there's a lot of decisions you make that are tactically correct but are anti-immersion. Mostly concerning monster movement.

For example, in D&D you might make a tactical decision involving forcing the enemy through a choke point and then splitting the party to flank them. That is a decision your characters would actually make.

In the D&D adventure games, you (the player) get to place the monster mostly wherever you want on a tile. This isn't your character making a decision, or the monster making a decision. It's just something that happens that is critically important to winning the game, so you do it, even if it makes no tactical sense for the monster to move there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Leonhard
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
The more interesting case is where there's parallel development of the intellectual property in the RPG and the associated board game. Warhammer Fantasy is the best example I can see here. The parallel development of the RPG and the tabletop miniatures game led to cross-seeding between the two implementations, and there are some really interesting things to have come out of that relationship.

Yes. I was tempted to mention Chaos in the Old World in this thread as one of my favorite boardgames, but I can't really say that it's derived from an RPG (WFRP) any more than it is from a prior boardgame (WFB). At this point, it's very difficult to piece apart what elements of that setting ultimately trace back to one or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowrun vs. Shadowrun: Crossfire I vastly prefer the RPG. The game just... didn't capture any of the feel I want from a cyberpunk game. I like Shadowrun (4th & Twentieth Anniversary Editions) more than the board game, and that is my least favorite version of the RPG! About the only positive thing I can say is at least the board game is cooperative. At some point I'll play Shadowrun Returns the video game and then I can compare that to the experience.

Dungeons & Dragons vs. Betrayal at Baldur's Gate. They basically rethemed the board game Betrayal at House on the Hill with characters, places, creatures and items from D&D and... it wasn't that bad! I actually think it fixes a few problems with Betrayal at House on the Hill. Does it play like D&D? Not really, but if you go into it not expecting that, it's not a bad experience. Though it might be more based on the video game Baldur's Gate than on any pen-and-paper RPG...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
In the D&D adventure games, you (the player) get to place the monster mostly wherever you want on a tile. This isn't your character making a decision, or the monster making a decision. It's just something that happens that is critically important to winning the game, so you do it, even if it makes no tactical sense for the monster to move there.

That is an abstraction that doesn't bother me at all. Think about it; you could have all sorts of rules for how heroes can taunt foes, push them, use attacks of opportunity, lurk shadows in doorways, etc, etc...or you can just say "we'll assume the heroes do all that (and are more competent at it than assorted wolves, ghouls and zombies and such)" and so just let the heroes place the monster where they want. Same overall effect, much simpler rules.

(Also, half the time the reason you want a monster in a specific space is very abstracted to begin with).

(Also also, don't let that come across as a recommendation of the system; its got a lot of flaws. Though I find that a dose of houseruling makes it a lot more fun)

(Also also also, ghoul bites is very painful)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D&D board games in various forms, Warhammer and the various Cthulhu games from Fantasy Flight.

I much prefer the RPGs for D&D and Warhammer over their board game versions. The Cthulhu ones I enjoy equally for different reasons, but Mansions of Madness (2nd Ed) and Eldritch Horror remain two of my favourite board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.