Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Ironsworn
Dark Streets & Darker Secrets
Star Wars Roleplaying Adversary Deck: Republic & Separatist II Adversary Deck
The Gathering Storm
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay: Game Master's Guide
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Tales from the Loop
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
DNH: The Haunting of Hastur - A Campaign (OSR Edition)
Ur-Turuk City Guide
Breaking the Ice
Lords of Creation
Pathfinder #031: Stolen Land
HS1: The Slaying Stone
Bloodsand Arena
Alien: FUZION - Stage One: The Basic Game
Alien Resurrection
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Box Set
Lure of Power
Pathfinder #055: The Wormwood Mutiny
Pathfinder #056: Raiders of the Fever Sea
Pathfinder #057: Tempest Rising
Pathfinder #059: The Price of Infamy
Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
The Enemy Within
Wrath of the Autarch
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Blades in the Dark
Curse of Strahd
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
Adventures in Middle-earth Loremaster's Guide
Starfinder Core Rulebook
Pathfinder #127: Crownfall
City of Mist Core Book
Book M
Bunnies & Burrows Fantasy Role Playing Game
Buildings of the Reikland
The Khyber Khronicle Volume 07
04-19-2019
Rebel Times (Issue 139 - Apr 2019)
Monster Manual (D&D 4e)
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just happy to be here.
mbmbmbmbmb

I did try the first two sets of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. It was fun at first, but after finishing both of those entire sets I felt like it was too easy. Plus, it's a co-op, which I rarely enjoy in board games.

I've played a good bit of other board games that attempt to be RPGish and eventually gave up on them entirely in favor of real RPGs. I do love board games of course, but I don't think I'll enjoy many games that try to be both.

I do love me some Claustrophobia though!

As well as Lords of Waterdeep/Skullport. Though I don't think they were trying to make an RPG-like board game with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played the tabletop “Dust: Tactics” game which has a distinct dieselpunk vibe. The movement and firing resolution is a little clunky, especially for squads of figures.

Having read through part of the associated RPG I’d say playing the latter would be more fun. The setting is sufficiently detailed and interesting enough for me to picture myself enjoying it a lot. The bonus would be using the tabletop’s figures during the RPG sessions; they are nicely finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huge board game fan here, so I've played lots of them

7th Sea vs 7th Sea CCG: RPG had a lot of cool ideas. CCG was pretty meh; didn't play with more than just the intro decks we got. Winner: RPG.

D&D - lots of D&D games, aren't there? Despite not liking D&D that much, not sure any of its spinoffs stack up.
Dungeon! - a childhood favorite, but really only a kid's game. Winner: RPG
Dragon Quest - really just an intro version of D&D. Worked better in several ways, but much more limited. Winner: RPG
Dungeons & Dragons: The Fantasy Adventure Board Game - HeroQuest with a D&D theme. Again, more of a kid's game. OK as an intro RPGish thing. Winner: RPG
Lords of Waterdeep - pretty good worker placement game, except for the mandatory quest cards, which kind of wreck the game. Overall good game. Probably better designed than D&D. Hmm. Tough one.
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game and Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game - quick playing but really repetitive and lacking choices. Though, they ARE quick playing. Winner: RPG.
Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game - mediocre conquest game. Much better choices available. Winner: RPG.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - RPG was clunky and overcomplicated.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Board Game - pretty silly, but at least its not a clunky mess. Winner: Board game.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Board Game - bit overly slow pick-up-and-deliver co-op. A bit boring, but more playable than the RPG. Winner: Board game.

Call of Cthulhu - hmm, how many of the different Cthulhu themed games count as being related to Call of Cthulhu? While I've had a great time with CoC, I've come to realize the system contributed almost nothing to the fun and is generally poorly designed.
Arkham Horror - played a ton of this when it came out, but it is overly complicated, has a lot of useless mechanics, and has major flow problems. Toss up.
Arkham Horror: The Card Game - people have said the expansions are much better, but the core game leaves a lot to be desired. Winner: RPG
Mansions of Madness - this was such a clunky, convoluted mess, with terrible scenarios. Winner: RPG
Cthulhu Wars - my favorite conquest games and one of my favorite board games. OK, so they only share an overall theme and a designer. Still, I'd like to play a lot more Cthulhu Wars! Winner: Board game.

Changeling the Dreaming vs Arcadia: The Wyld Hunt - poor RPG mechanics vs. lousy collectable card game? Both were poor, but...WInner: RPG.

Deadlands has 2 games I've played. Deadlands was a cool concept, convoluted execution. Deadlands Reloaded is a lot simpler, so I'll use it for my comparison. (And boy would I love to play in this world some more!)
Deadlands: Doomtown - CCG with some cool concepts, but a lot of balance problems and some gameplay issues. I'd rather play the RPG. Winner: RPG
Deadlands: The Battle for Slaughter Gulch - its interesting, but such a mess. Come to think of it, I should sell/trade this. Winner: RPG

Feng Shui vs. Shadowfist - while its become obvious that Shadowfist has some game dynamic problems, its a wild and crazy exciting crazy CCG while the RPG is a conceptually cool game which winds up as a number-crunching fest. Winner: CCG

Heavy Gear - this has an RPG and tabletop game rolled into one. Both kind of the same thing. Been a long time...not bad as I recall, though clunky by modern standards. Tie?

Marvel RPGs - there have been a few of these, with Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game being the best; relatively simple systems that capture the comic dynamic well.
X-Men: Crisis in the Danger Room - really bad kid's level game. Winner: RPG
HeroClix - supposed to be a superhero game, but built on top of a fantasy combat engine. OK, but meh. Winner: RPG
Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men - kinda fun, but just sticking MtG combat on dice does not a good game make. Winner: RPG
X-Men Trading Card Game - one of the worst games I've played. Gave this away. Winner: RPG
Overpower - not as bad as the X-Men TCG, but still really bad. Winner: RPG

Vampire vs. Vampire: The Eternal Struggle - interesting CCG that did some new things, but Vampire really opened whole new concepts in RPGs for me. Winner: RPG

Rifts vs. RIFTS Collectible Card Game - almost unplayable mess of an RPG vs. thoroughly 'meh' CCG? Well, at least the CCG is faster. Winner: CCG

Robotech vs. Robotech RPG Tactics - while the minis game had awful minis, some major rule problems, and Palladium never delivered half of it, it was still a lot more playable and fun than the RPG. Winner: Board game

Sentinel Comics is like a half-baked set of cool ideas muddled in with a bunch of junk.
Sentinels of the Multiverse - overly clunky, but often cool. Winner: Board game
Sentinel Tactics: Uprising - some neat concepts that just don't work out. Winner: RPG

Shadowrun vs. Shadowrun Duels - the Duels action figures were kind of cool, but if lacked a lot as a game. Even compared to Shadowrun, winner: RPG

Werewolf vs. Rage - amusing CCG, but rules were poorly defined. Granted, that was true for the RPG as well. Close, but winner: RPG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica Role Playing Game and Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. I prefer the tabletop game. The roleplaying game wasn't very good (we tried it once), and the boardgame is easily in my top five tabletop games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it best when the two seamlessly merge...

Such as Silhouette system. (Jovian Chronicles, Heavy Gear) Or Mekton. Both of which are combined TT Minis and RPG.

I like also close crossovers - WFRP 1E & WFB 1e-6e. Battletech/Mechwarrior. Classic Traveller and Striker, AHL, Snapshot, and Mayday.

THey allow stories of grander scales quite easily
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.