World of Lazarus
Rebel Times (Issue 139 - Apr 2019)
Mythic
Mythic Game Master Emulator
L-1: City of Lies
RuneQuest Pirates
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
Advanced Race Guide
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Enter the Unknown
The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse
Feats Reforged Vol. III: The Combat Feats
Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk
Feats Reforged Vol. IV: The Magic Feats
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Tome of Secrets (V20 Dark Ages)
Tales from the Loop
Realms of Terrinoth
Ironsworn
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Bunnies & Burrows Fantasy Role Playing Game
Dark Streets & Darker Secrets
The Book of Many Things Campaign Exclusive Content
The Witch of Underwillow
Fireball
A Friend in Need
Volo's Complete Subrace Handbook
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Star Frontiers
Fiend Folio
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb
philip.dutre wrote:
ooozan wrote:
philip.dutre wrote:
In one of my fantasy campaigns, that ran for several years, there was one very significant character death. He was the norse/dwarf/fighter of the party. The character died near the end of a major combat. After the combat, I stopped the session, since I wanted to work out how to respond.

The next session, and in conjunction with the player controller the character, I ran a little mini-adventure, with Valkyries descending from the skies, coming to get the body. He had to appear before a tribunal of the gods to see whether he was worthy of inclusion in Walhalla, and the other players had to testify on his behalf. It was a very fitting conclusion, and felt meaningful to end the character’s career this way. But I have to admit ‘the stars were right’, and it fitted the style and tone of the campaign very well.

The player started with a new character the next session, but it always felt like a cheap substitute ...

It's a shame that his new character felt like a cheap substitute. From that experience do you think you could've prevented that or help him adjust?

It had more to do with the progression of the campaign rather than with the player. The other players all had their initial character when the campaign finished, but this new character somehow never felt as ‘part of the group’. When we recount stories about that campaign, that new character barely gets a mention, it’s always the old one.

In hindsight, there are ways I could have solved it better, by having the new character being the brother or son of the old one, or something like that, such that there is clear lineage between a memorable character and the new one, rather than only the player being the lineage.
That is a good tip to remember!

There was a story I heard or maybe even read a while ago about a D&D group, I don't quite remember the source, it might've been Matt Colville's. This group went on their first adventure and the fighter died in a battle against goblins. Without a moment of hesitation the player wrote Jr. next to his characters name on his sheet, claimed he was the son of said fighter and swore to seek revenge! It's a great story to tell to your group to implicitly introduce them to the idea of a continuation of lineage. The group carried on their adventures with the new fighter constantly attacking every goblin he saw. Both hilarious and insightful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Lemkins
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
new user
designer
My players and I have very different opinions on this topic. They all like playing characters for a long time and following their stories. Personally, I like to play a wide variety of characters so I eagerly await characters exiting stage left (not necessarily because of death).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally let them die. If it was a bad decision on thier part, I definitely let them die.

I've had players who took it in their stride and started rolling. I've had players who really took the death to heart. The latter I find the more difficult to deal with.

Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I love it when my characters die. I appreciate every death!

In Call of Cthulhu (2nd - 6th Edition) it is so expected that in my face-to-face game all the players have a spare character rolled up and ready for when their main character dies (or more likely, goes so insane they are no longer playable). So far they have relished their unique endings. We rarely pause the game for such things, after all, evil conspiracies wait for no one!

In Eclipse Phase (First Edition) it is almost impossible to truly die. When we have "died" our selves merely come back sleeved into another body, with a bit of memory loss based on when we last backed up our memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Attire!
badge
What’s the difference between a poorly dressed man on a tricycle and a well-dressed man on a bicycle?
mbmbmb
I often have young players at my table, so I am not brutal when death comes to a player character. The younger they are, the more matter-of-fact I am until I learn more about how they react to death. Tears have happened. But tears have happened even when the character was just in danger.

Even older players can have an adverse reaction to death. It depends on the player and how invested he or she is in the character.

I have taken to rewarding players who roleplay a good death by giving the next character they create a bonus on their abilities or a bonus item. That has lead to better role play and handling of character deaths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
I often have young players at my table, so I am not brutal when death comes to a player character. The younger they are, the more matter-of-fact I am until I learn more about how they react to death. Tears have happened. But tears have happened even when the character was just in danger.

Even older players can have an adverse reaction to death. It depends on the player and how invested he or she is in the character.

I have taken to rewarding players who roleplay a good death by giving the next character they create a bonus on their abilities or a bonus item. That has lead to better role play and handling of character deaths.

Running Pendragon, the teens thrived on the deadliness.
It was the 40+ crowd who were scared off by the sheer mortality rate. (averaged 1 PC death per 2 sessions.)

The threat of Character Death runs high in my L5R campaigns. No PCs dead yet, but that's due to a combination of caution and luck.

I've killed several PCs in AL play... but the players have never complained I was unfair about it. One was a very pyrrhic victory... and a campaign end death saving the rest of the party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Zoshak
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like a lot of folks in the thread, I used to feel like character death was very important to verisimilitude but as the years have gone by I've come to realize that the gain in 'realism' isn't worth the player dissatisfaction.

I see it as the job of the gamemaster to facilitate joy, and for some parties that definitely includes ignominious death, but for most of the ones I run for it does not. It's a numbers game: if you're losing more player engagement because of individual character deaths than you are gaining by insisting on the coherent immersion of the risk of death, what is gained?

For what it is worth, I have not personally found that the relative absence of the threat of death impacts the immediacy of my campaigns.

My rules are simple:

I don't let the dice or rules kill characters. I run my table, not a shoddily manufactured plastic random number generator, and certainly not a set of badly playtested books written in total ignorance of my campaign.

If a player's choices were appropriate and assumed a reasonable level of risk, "death" results in a sanity loss and permanent scar (modified as necessary for system).

If a player's choices are inappropriate or do not respect an apparent threat, death is back on the table. I often warn my players when this condition has been met, but not always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.