Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Ironsworn
Dark Streets & Darker Secrets
Star Wars Roleplaying Adversary Deck: Republic & Separatist II Adversary Deck
The Gathering Storm
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay: Game Master's Guide
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Boxed Set (Second Edition)
Tales from the Loop
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
DNH: The Haunting of Hastur - A Campaign (OSR Edition)
Ur-Turuk City Guide
Breaking the Ice
Lords of Creation
Pathfinder #031: Stolen Land
HS1: The Slaying Stone
Bloodsand Arena
Alien: FUZION - Stage One: The Basic Game
Alien Resurrection
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Box Set
Lure of Power
Pathfinder #055: The Wormwood Mutiny
Pathfinder #056: Raiders of the Fever Sea
Pathfinder #057: Tempest Rising
Pathfinder #059: The Price of Infamy
Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
The Enemy Within
Wrath of the Autarch
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Blades in the Dark
Curse of Strahd
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
Adventures in Middle-earth Loremaster's Guide
Starfinder Core Rulebook
Pathfinder #127: Crownfall
City of Mist Core Book
Book M
Bunnies & Burrows Fantasy Role Playing Game
Buildings of the Reikland
The Khyber Khronicle Volume 07
04-19-2019
Rebel Times (Issue 139 - Apr 2019)
Monster Manual (D&D 4e)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: Mildew on game books, a cure? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Breidigan
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found some in my books in the closet, oddly enough it is a select few in a stack.

Almost all are from the early 80s.

Any help would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: Good luck

https://www.biblio.com/book-collecting/care-preservation/pre...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
bhyeti wrote:
Found some in my books in the closet, oddly enough it is a select few in a stack.

Almost all are from the early 80s.

Any help would be appreciated.

Keep them away from other things, dry them thoroughly.

Then, keep them dry.

Brush off as much as you can without ripping the pages or removing what ink is left.

Fume them lightly with fungicide... and re-dry.

Drying them can be done best by hanging them in a low-heat oven, hanging from the spine - but only if the spine is intact. You want it hanging so the pages can vent. Also, if you have desiccant powders/pellets, put those in the same space. And you want the oven door open, so the moisture can leave. Don't bother to try this on a damp day, tho'...

Note that any treatment (including the Hydrogen Peroxide and the Denatured Alcohol in Clark's wonderful link) needs to be tested for ink solubility... if you use alcohol on alcohol soluble ink, even as a vapor-treatment (put it inside the oven, in a baking pan, bottom rack, while hanging the book above, 170°F, to vaporize the alcohol so it can attack all the fungus at once), you will blur the letters, and transfer them to contacting pages, etc.

Also, some cheap black inks turn brown when exposed to H2O2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Breidigan
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange as it is they are not wet or damp, there is like a black powder on some pages, maybe I caught it in the beginning?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
if you use alcohol on alcohol soluble ink, even as a vapor-treatment (put it inside the oven, in a baking pan, bottom rack, while hanging the book above, 170°F, to vaporize the alcohol so it can attack all the fungus at once), you will blur the letters, and transfer them to contacting pages, etc.
This sounds like a pretty dangerous way to cure mildew! Alcohol vapors plus heat source = yikes! Not to mention make sure you have excellent ventilation or you will feel very high followed by very sick pretty quickly I expect. Ink solubility seems like the least of the concerns regarding this method. I'm not saying it won't fix the mildew/mold, I trust William's judgement on that. I'm just saying William's can-do frontier spirit exceeds my tolerance of alcohol related fire/illness risk.

Good luck with the mildew. I'm going to assume the books have some nostalgia value for you that makes it worth mitigation, so I'm sorry you have to figure this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brush off what you can and leave them in the sun for a few weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Breidigan
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pulling everything out and going through it and store it somewhere dry, the house is really old and we're tired of putting money into it.

I think within a year it's going to be torn down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, this sounds to me like a mold problem, not a mildew problem. Are you see the black dots other places in that area? Not just the books?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Breidigan
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
Honestly, this sounds to me like a mold problem, not a mildew problem. Are you see the black dots other places in that area? Not just the books?

Just a few of the books, exasperating the problem is the record number of consecutive rainy days(68?) and total rainfall in the last 12 months have been off the hook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomsword wrote:
Brush off what you can and leave them in the sun for a few weeks.

Love the BOC shepherds crook. Big fan! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
aramis wrote:
if you use alcohol on alcohol soluble ink, even as a vapor-treatment (put it inside the oven, in a baking pan, bottom rack, while hanging the book above, 170°F, to vaporize the alcohol so it can attack all the fungus at once), you will blur the letters, and transfer them to contacting pages, etc.
This sounds like a pretty dangerous way to cure mildew! Alcohol vapors plus heat source = yikes! Not to mention make sure you have excellent ventilation or you will feel very high followed by very sick pretty quickly I expect. Ink solubility seems like the least of the concerns regarding this method. I'm not saying it won't fix the mildew/mold, I trust William's judgement on that. I'm just saying William's can-do frontier spirit exceeds my tolerance of alcohol related fire/illness risk.

Good luck with the mildew. I'm going to assume the books have some nostalgia value for you that makes it worth mitigation, so I'm sorry you have to figure this out.

Alcohol fuming is reasonably safe in an electric oven - the autoignition temp is ~750°F. The paper will ignite before the alcohol. I am so used to electrics that I forget many people use gas ovens.
Lethally flammable in a gas oven - the gas burns over 1000°F, and the fumes WILL ignite and eat your book, too.
A woodstove is even more risky.

Note also: Alcohol fuming is VERY dangerous if you don't vent it. Have the range fume hood on, and open the nearest window, put a fan drawing air out, and open several other windows with fans blowing fresh air in.

Isopropyl (the standard rubbing alcohol) is toxic if taken internally. It can damage liver, nerves, and eyes. Drinking or breathing it can blind or kill.

Fuming is the easiest way to get alcohol in to every part... but it is a matter of risk assessment on whether it's worth it.

Other fuming methods are less risky...
Some chemical fungicides can be fumed at room temp.

Tea fuming is great for faking age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.