Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
I found out why nurses carry red crayons . In case they have to draw blood.
mbmbmbmbmb
A question suggested by

Alan - Son of Hett
United States
The Triangle
North Carolina
flag msg tools
 "…and in the darkness bind them / In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie." …gives me goosebumps every time, even all these years later.
mbmbmb

How do you read through your subscriptions? Do you simply click the Next New Subscribed Item button? Do you read an item then click back to the subscriptions page? Do you read all the items in one category before moving to the next category? Or do you have some other peculiar method?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ra Mo
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
"Overplanning kills Magic"
badge
°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
mbmbmbmbmb
usually what I do is scan through my subscriptions from oldest to newest opening everything that cathes my eye in a new tab and then go through the opened Tabs. Then I click "Mark All read" and wait for the next day... ^-^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I don't use the "next subscription" button. Instead, I go to my subscription page and pick and choose which ones I want to read or mark read.

I tend to start with the threads with the fewest number of replies and proceed through them in the order of number of replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read to PbF subscriptions first. Then, the QotT, then other threads. Then, reviews. Finally, the meta-auction list is last, and only gotten to occasionally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I woke up in Escher's World today...
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally use the “next” button to go through them. If I have a lot of subscriptions flagging, and I’m short of time, I sometimes go to the subscriptions page and prioritise what I want to read first or mark as read without reading.

“A lot” for me would be >10-15 subscription notifications at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Alexander Beetle wrote:

“A lot” for me would be >10-15 subscription notifications at once.

I know there are people who have a ton of subscriptions, but if I have more than 5 I think that's a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely use the "Next Subscription" button. I'll go back to the subscription list and choose my next adventure.

Usually, I'll "Mark Read" things that I don't want to read. Those are collateral damage from broader subscriptions. I mean, I know Steve Donohue loves Heroscape, but I'm not so interested.

Most of the time I'll go to threads that I've started first then threads that I've participated next. Maybe something catches my eye.

It's pretty random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
My subscriptions usually pop up around 15-20 on an average morning. Over a long, busy weekend they'll get up into the 60s. And I often check the 'Geek during the day, too.

If I pop in mid-day and there's fewer than 4 subscriptions I'll just hit the Next button. But if there's more than that I click on the subscriptions link and go through all of them. I'll Mark Read anything I find uninteresting and then just go through them one at a time by the Next button.

I have a pretty broad base of subscriptions, but I tend to ignore or pass over article titles that I think look uninteresting.

The subscription functionality is one of the Geek's best features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bookmarked the Next New Subscribed Item link, and I just push that bookmark button over and over again, pausing when necessary to view content.

Pete (goes through some 250 subscribed posts a day but skips past most of them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam K
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically choose the order based on what time I have and what kind of device I'm on (pbf games are tougher to do on a phone).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually clear out posts I'm not interested in - PbF game announcements that I can't commit to and have already thumbed or the like. In some ways, I'll use subscriptions as a bookmark rather than reading every single update.

Then, time permitting, I go through my PbF games chronologically to post and keep them moving.

Finally, I'll catch up on the geeklists and threads I'm subscribed to - Thrift Guild left behind, QoTD, RPGG games you've never played/gm'ed challenges, solo rpg's on your table monthly geeklist, etc...

I'm on RPGG almost all day, almost everyday, so they only tend to build up while I'm sleeping or if work actually needs my attention for more than a few minutes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
Its will alone snuffs out the stars and its shadow ends realities
badge
The end is just the beginning...
mbmbmbmbmb
RaMo_teamhellep wrote:
usually what I do is scan through my subscriptions from oldest to newest opening everything that cathes my eye in a new tab and then go through the opened Tabs. Then I click "Mark All read" and wait for the next day... ^-^

That's pretty much what I do to, except I check them several times a day (mostly because of PbF games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
Its will alone snuffs out the stars and its shadow ends realities
badge
The end is just the beginning...
mbmbmbmbmb
WalkingDeadMann wrote:
(pbf games are tougher to do on a phone).

Yep, PbF on mobile is pretty brutal. I really hope we have something mobile optimized at some point in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have PILES of subscriptions, like vast numbers of them. I'm subscribed to all kinds of games, to a number of genres, and multiple forums. So my process is the following:

* get on RPGGeek
* go to the subscriptions page
* click "Mark Read" on a pile of stuff I don't actually need to read. Examples: new images, geeklists that include subscribed games but are of no interest, threads in forums I am subscribed to that hold no interest, etc.
* after winnowing out the chaff, I think use the "Next New Subscribed Item" link to work through what is left item by item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Lee
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RaMo_teamhellep wrote:

This is pretty close to my method as well, though I'll often leave some things unread for a few days at a time, as I don't always have time to dig into a really long thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally I do a quick check of things that only require brief looks, like the local "flea-market" thread. Wait until I'll have time to type responses for subscriptions that I'm likely to want to comment on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
Don't know what I want but I know how to get it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually first thing on the day's login I review the subscription list and click 'mark as read' on most stuff while thinking "Probably, I should unsub that". But, I don't unsub it.

Then on to the geekmail...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
It sounds like I do the same as many. I click to the subscriptions, page, mark things unread that don't hold my interest, then start clicking next.

If Clark has been busy with images, I lament once again that I can't just unsub from images, ponder unsubbing Clark altogether, then click Mark All Read on the images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tom
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's similar to many others here in that I go to my subscriptions page, open what I want to read in a new tab, mark the remaining ones as read, and then go through the tabs.

However, I usually also make one or both of the following errors:
d10-1 I have 2 or more pages of subscriptions, and only realise this once I press the "mark all read" button, then scream with the eternal horror of what might have been.
d10-2 Likewise, a very interesting thread might only catch my eye as I press that button. Then I have to go digging through the entire Geek trying to locate it.

I really need to take my time and think before doing things...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas (he/him)
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
...not enough time
mbmbmbmbmb
I mark as read what I don't have enough time and interest for right now, open one I do want to read in a new tab, go back after reading it and then open the next one. I often leave some unread that I will only read a couple of days later.

I rarely unsubscribe anything right away, but after clicking "mark read" repeatedly without ever reading stuff from a subscription I do unsubscribe eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
In the morning, I generally scan the lot, there's usually 25 or so. Then pick off (mark as read) the ones I'll know will recur later in the day, (except for any PbF I'm doing and any contests) and either subscribe to or block any new items depending on my interest. As I'm usually here 8+/day so I catch up most anytime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Sometimes, you just have to roll it.
badge
Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't read everything that I'm subbed to, so the next button has lost it's usefulness. I go to the unread page, and middle click on the subjects that I want to read to open them in separate tabs and mark the others as read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
I open the subscriptions page, and control-click each new item into a new browser tab. I then skim through, and if I feel I need to respond, other do so immediately, or move on without closing the tab. If I don't need/want to respond, ctrl-w.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Gorski
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Get my Mac and iOS software for Traveller at http://naasirka.weebly.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
It sounds like I do the same as many. I click to the subscriptions, page, mark things unread that don't hold my interest, then start clicking next.

If Clark has been busy with images, I lament once again that I can't just unsub from images, ponder unsubbing Clark altogether, then click Mark All Read on the images.

Me too. Besides images there's often several pages of new magazine articles. Pressing Mark All Read is quite satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan - Son of Hett
United States
The Triangle
North Carolina
flag msg tools
 "…and in the darkness bind them / In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie." …gives me goosebumps every time, even all these years later.
mbmbmb
Oof! I could not possibly open more browser tabs. I usually already have about ten open at any given time, for other "work" I am doing. So I start at the subscriptions page and click [mark read] on everything that is uninteresting or uninformative (e.g. images. videos, or geeklists of things I have already seen, or the umpteenth PbF sign-up by that guy I subscribed to because he had a great opinion once but it turns out 95% of his activity is PbF). I usually cull the forums and blogs subscriptions last, paying a bit more attention. Then the reading is usually geeklists, then blogs, then forums. I rarely use the Next Subscribed Item button, preferring the constant clicking back and forth, or occasionally I will read an item then use the browser back button to the subscriptions again. Lastly, I am not entirely certain how I prioritize my last-subscriptions-standing reading list, but I think it depends on the liklihood that I will need or want to reply to something; I save those for last. But some days it seems to be whatever catches my ADDled attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |