David
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My notifications range from 5 to 10 each day although I just subbed the PBF thread so that may increase my daily numbers.

I use the Next button so that I am surprised by the topic/game that comes up. A little suspense to brighten my day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
I succumbed to peer pressure and bought OverText, then couldn't think of anything clever to say.
badge
Keep going, you'll find no words of sage advice or solace here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll do a quick check of the queue for any ongoing quizzes first, then any threads that have caught my eye recently, then the older threads that only get a straggling post once in a while that I don't want to miss out on. A lot is probably in the '10' range for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmbmb
I enter the site via threaded view (Items grouped together by subscription):
https://boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions/bysub

Expand threads like "Hot deals" or "Trades" which can be dismissed all at once by just skimming the titles and only reading the 1-2 that catch my eye. This removes 10-20 without wasting time drilling into each one.

Expand other grouped threads like 1-Player Guild that can also be mass-dismissed except for the 1-2 titles that are of interest.

Then 1 by 1 via Next button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy McDaniel
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am on my computer I go through the subscriptiion list and make a new tab for everything I plan to read. Then I mark read anything I don't plan on reading.

If I am on my phone I try to get into the subscription list, but instead hit geekmail 2 or 3 times. Then the next button a few times accidentally reading whatever comes up. Finally I get to the list where I pick and choose the order I read the rest of the items in going back each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
I found out why nurses carry red crayons . In case they have to draw blood.
mbmbmbmbmb
oof. My process is scary.

Because I manage this thread and a few others, and am obliged to check them more frequently and keep them moving. Not much different than any of the pbf GM's do.

AM: Click on "subscriptions" and pull up the list.
d10-1I subscribe to a lot so I clear out all the chaff that I do not have time to read (or have not invested in an answer yet).
d10-2 Open older QOTD threads and read responses and thumb.
d10-3 Open threads I have contributed to and read responses, thumb, and respond (if time).
d10-4 Open threads where I contribute items for approval by others -- Mostly banners, but also microbadges - (This determines my next step in the workflow for the day)
d10-5 Start new QOTD -- which usually means reviewing the QOTD suggestions first.
d10-6 Reads posts and Post my next action in PBFs (IC and OOC).
d10-7 Participate in any game contests/quizes (these take time to sort answers, read material, etc, so I do these last).
This usually clears my deck for the day.

During the day (via smart phone):
Click on "subscriptions" and pull up the list.
1 clear out threads that do not interest me.
2 monitor all QOTD responses (current and old), thumb.
3 Reads posts and Post my next action in PBFs if it is simple(IC and OOC). (complex posts are impossible on my smartphone)
4 read responses to any of my own threads.
This leaves my choice reading material for later in the evening.

After work:
Click on "subscriptions" and pull up the list. Now I have time to enjoy the day's posts on the geek and actually provide coherent answers.
d10-1 clear out threads that do not interest me.
d10-2 Open older QOTD threads and read responses and thumb.
d10-3 Reads posts and Post my next action in PBFs (IC and OOC).
d10-4 Open threads I have contributed to and read responses, thumb, and respond.
d10-5 Open threads where I contribute items for approval by others -- Mostly banners, but also microbadges - (This determines my next step in the workflow for the evening) Post responses and update geek as necessary.
d10-6 Watch the videos I have "saved" by not marking as read during the day. (these are usually reviews)
d10-7 Take time to read the new posts during the day that I did not mark as read. Thumb and contribute.
Hang out in the geek while I do other things online.

Just before bed:
Click on "subscriptions" and pull up the list.
1 clear out threads that do not interest me. (I try to keep the clutter down to a minimum -- if I do not clear out the posts routinely, I will be overwhelmed, but I never know when a good nugget will arrive)
2 Reads posts and Post my next action in PBFs (IC and OOC).(Important for my international PBF partners on the other half of the hemisphere. I try not to keep anyone waiting on me).
3 Open older QOTD threads and read responses and thumb.
4 Open threads I have contributed to and read responses, thumb, and respond briefly.
5 Open threads where I contribute items for approval by others -- Mostly banners, but also microbadges - (This determines my next step in the workflow for the evening) Post responses and update geek as necessary if it can be done quickly, or keep it open on my computer for me to act on first thing the next morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just use the next button until I hit the "no more subscriptions" page. I do read the entire thread or set of geeklist items before hitting next again, though, so I don't lose track of threads on page changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Volfield wrote:
I just use the next button until I hit the "no more subscriptions" page. I do read the entire thread or set of geeklist items before hitting next again, though, so I don't lose track of threads on page changes.
I stopped using the next button almost entirely the day after they changed it from hitting each new item on a geeklist to all the stuff on one page of a geeklist being one next - because I started missing things I wanted to see on the geeklists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D.
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's the way I'm wired but I was always annoyed with getting notifications and feeling the pathological need to make the notification go away instead of actually reading anything. It's not that I don't think the contributions here aren't worth reading, the "game" of subscriptions just "gives me a rash" I should mention that I haven't used subscriptions in a long time.

It's weird my front page is constantly changing but I can filter that out, if something appeared in a space I wasn't accustomed to, it would stand out like a turn in the punch bowl and get under my skin.

Edit: I'll try again by subscribing to this thread and see if it's any different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no subscriptions, I just read what interests me if/when I see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
I have PILES of subscriptions, like vast numbers of them. I'm subscribed to all kinds of games, to a number of genres, and multiple forums. So my process is the following:

* get on RPGGeek
* go to the subscriptions page
* click "Mark Read" on a pile of stuff I don't actually need to read. Examples: new images, geeklists that include subscribed games but are of no interest, threads in forums I am subscribed to that hold no interest, etc.
* after winnowing out the chaff, I think use the "Next New Subscribed Item" link to work through what is left item by item.

My process is very similar, since I subscribe to entire forums. The main difference is that I never use the Next New Subscribed Item button.

When I sit down at my desk at work in the morning, I first go through and mark read for all of those. Then I usually cherry-pick the subscriptions to read that don't require me to post responses. And then I go through and choose all the subscriptions that require me to pay more attention and post.

Lately I've had so many subscriptions to get through that I have taken to reading them on my phone on my commute, and winnowing through the ones I'm not going to read by marking them read and picking those I won't have to post in to skim through so that by the time I get into work, I can sit down and type longer responses to the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I go through my subscriptions list, clicking Mark Read on things that don't look interesting and opening tabs for things that do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Role playing since the beginning.
badge
You on the list? https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/47027/
mbmbmbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:
Alexander Beetle wrote:

“A lot” for me would be >10-15 subscription notifications at once.

I know there are people who have a ton of subscriptions, but if I have more than 5 I think that's a lot.
Ha ha ha ha .... ha ha hahaaaaaa....sniffle.... ....ha ha ha ha ha....

I tend to have 50 to 60 waiting for me to scan. I lose track of interesting threads sometimes.

I do as some others have suggested, go through the list opening items of interest in new tabs and then mark "all as read".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |