The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Strange Adventures!: The House on Poplar Court
Acquisitions Incorporated
Deluxe Revised RECON
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Tales from the Loop
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Expanse Roleplaying Game
The Dark Side Sourcebook
Nocturnum: Master Collection
The Burning Wheel Fantasy Roleplaying System (Gold)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Gunderholfen
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
The Witchwar Legacy
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Hideous Creatures
Shadows Over Stillwater
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Over the Edge
The Extraction: An Adventure for Musketeers, 1628
The Desert Portal
Terror of the Stratosfiend #1.5
Freedom or Toaster
Brigands of Sherwood
Exalted Rulebook
Aftermath!
Call of Cthulhu (2nd Edition)
CDM1: The Halls of the Dwarven Kings
Sorcerer
Ghostwalk
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Lady Blackbird
GM Gems Volume 1: A Collection of Game Master Inspiration
Champions of Mystara: Heroes of the Princess Ark
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Numenera
Mythic Adventures
Hillfolk
Keeper Rulebook
Investigator Handbook
Lords of Gossamer & Shadow
Strategy Guide
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
Dark Albion: The Rose War
KULT: Divinity Lost
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: 2019 24 Hour RPG Supplement Contest - VOTING CLOSED rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, all. We have eight entries for the first-ever 24 hour RPG supplement contest. The entries, and the associated filepage for each are:

After þe Haunt, a supplement for þe Specter : After þe Haunt
The Animal Companion, a generic supplement : The Animal Companion
The Desert Portal, a supplement for Beyond Bightwater : The Desert Portal
Dragons and Six-Shooters, a supplement for Yes, Sir! : Dragons and Six-Shooters
Explorer's Quarterly, a supplement for Darker Continent : EXPLORER’S QUARTERLY
The Extraction: An Adventure for Musketeers, 1628, a supplement for Fudge : The Extraction: An Adventure for Muskeers, 1628 complete file
Korlok, Stock, and Barrel, a supplement for Korlok : Korlok, Stock, and Barrel 24 hour edition
Visionary of Love, a supplement for Blood & Bronze : Visionary of Love

Voting has begun!

In order to vote:

1 Download the files for all of the entries, and give them a good read.

2 Decide on what order you think the supplements should be ranked, from best to worst.

3 GeekMail your decision to me (quick link).

Voting algorithm

All registered users are eligible to vote. You can change your mind if you want by sending me an updated order of voting, but only if you do so before voting closes.

The contest will be decided by Single Transferable Vote (the same method as before). This is a voting method that is not possible (yet) using the poll functionality on this site, which is why you need to send me your votes instead. I will then count up the results in order to determine the winner.

The only information I need for your vote is a list of the games in the order that you think they should end up. You do not need to list all entries in your vote, but please list at least four entries as there are places for four winners. Listing fifth/sixth/etc. choices helps when the voting is close.

For full disclosure, I will be using the Droop quota with surplus votes reallocated through proportional allocation similar to the Gregory method.

Timeline

Deadline: Tuesday, June 11th, 2019

There are lots of supplements to read, and it takes time to digest them all and decide which is best. The voting period includes three weekends, so there shouldn't be any problems. Just in case, I'll extend the above deadline if I think that I haven't received enough votes (I'd like a minimum of 10 votes, at least as many as the number of contestants). If it's close to the deadline and you still need more time, let me know (by posting here) as that will affect my decision to extend the deadline.

Questions

Please ask any questions in this thread.

The vote-counting mechanism is ideally suited to this type of contest, but is complex and so I won't be surprised if there are requests for further explanation.

An answer to one important question that keeps cropping up:
Please wait until voting is over before posting any reviews of the supplements (we want people to vote based on their own opinions and not be unduly swayed by the thoughts of others). Session reports and PBF games are okay; play these games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2019 24 Hour RPG Supplement Contest - VOTING OPEN
I am stupidly excited about this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Well, I'm officially out of the loop. I have only heard of one of the base games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Well, I'm officially out of the loop. I have only heard of one of the base games.

I doubt that matters. My entry is 99% stat-free, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
Sometimes, you just have to roll it.
badge
Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?
mbmbmbmbmb
Some really good entries here from my first read-through of the entries. Pretty impressive for 24 hours! It's going to be hard to order them... good job all around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
Jlerpy wrote:

I doubt that matters. My entry is 99% stat-free, for example.

Yeah, I think most/all are understandable regardless of base system. And a couple are system neutral (mine and Inkwan's). Hopefully the obscurity doesn't keep many voters away, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first three votes (including my own) are in. I'd like a lot more. Go read this stuff! It's very good, especially considering it was all done in a single day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gone through 3 of them. So far, I am very impressed! As for the comment about the systems, I have found that I could use the ones I have read as add-ons to different games I might run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have, from reading the entries, now discovered the Homebrewery, which looks like something I'd love to play around with more in the future...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
Sometimes, you just have to roll it.
badge
Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
I have, from reading the entries, now discovered the Homebrewery, which looks like something I'd love to play around with more in the future...

That was my response reading that entry. Not saying that the entry wasn't good, because it was. But it stuck in my mind because of Homebrewery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

thumbsup

And of course, I mucked up the hyperlink to it (I'll fix it once voting is done).

But yes, the Homebrewery is great, provided you're comfortable using a modified Markup language for the formatting. Some of its presets are designed for 5e specifically, but it's a great layout program for any RPG, imo.

For anyone looking to use it, check out this link:
https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJWLQsTwUZ

There are a number of resources it links to from that document, in addition to detailing some advanced Homebrewery techniques. But one that I've used previously is the "Homebrewery stains," which are images that are useful in creating image integrations like Page 10 of that link. I also make frequent use of the blending modes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

thumbsup

And of course, I mucked up the hyperlink to it (I'll fix it once voting is done).

But yes, the Homebrewery is great, provided you're comfortable using a modified Markup language for the formatting. Some of its presets are designed for 5e specifically, but it's a great layout program for any RPG, imo.

For anyone looking to use it, check out this link:
https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJWLQsTwUZ

There are a number of resources it links to from that document, in addition to detailing some advanced Homebrewery techniques. But one that I've used previously is the "Homebrewery stains," which are images that are useful in creating image integrations like Page 10 of that link. I also make frequent use of the blending modes.

That explains how you made it so professional so quickly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Work smarter, not harder.

You do need at least some intro coding knowledge. The tutorial stuff only takes you so far...you need to be comfortable tinkering to really get things to work, imo. It can save time, but I may not have been able to knock this out in 24hr. if I hadn't already created a few documents using it.

It also helps that it's made to adhere to 5e standards...that's where most of my work is, and it has a bunch of handy macros for various designs that match the Player's Handbook. I have the Adobe Suite, for example, but while the possibilities of those programs are greater, the initial time sink to get a layout I'd be happy with, and to recreate things like creature stat blocks from scratch, isn't worth it.

I'm a little surprised, tbh. I didn't realize the tool was much of a secret. Glad I was able to bring it to y'all's attention though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a couple days in and we already have five votes. Yay!

We still don't have quite enough votes to establish a top four, however. So get those votes in. There's still plenty of time to read and make up your mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
Work smarter, not harder.

You do need at least some intro coding knowledge. The tutorial stuff only takes you so far...you need to be comfortable tinkering to really get things to work, imo. It can save time, but I may not have been able to knock this out in 24hr. if I hadn't already created a few documents using it.

It also helps that it's made to adhere to 5e standards...that's where most of my work is, and it has a bunch of handy macros for various designs that match the Player's Handbook. I have the Adobe Suite, for example, but while the possibilities of those programs are greater, the initial time sink to get a layout I'd be happy with, and to recreate things like creature stat blocks from scratch, isn't worth it.

I'm a little surprised, tbh. I didn't realize the tool was much of a secret. Glad I was able to bring it to y'all's attention though.

Yeah, usually I build everything in InDesign. Which isn't bad when I have longer projects, but can be a bit much when I have less than 24 to get things done.

What I really need, is to make a cover template and start adding covers to my work, rather than just diving into the meat the game on the first page...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
We still don't have quite enough votes to establish a top four, however.

Do you need me to vote a couple more times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
robbbbbb wrote:

This isn't Chicago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
ctimmins wrote:
robbbbbb wrote:

This isn't Chicago.

But, I live near Chicago...does that count
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:
robbbbbb wrote:
This isn't Chicago.

Are you dead? If you're dead, you can vote multiple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are seven ballots in currently. That's a good response! It is just barely enough to establish a top four results. It is not a particularly robust top four, however, and I'd love to see another dozen votes or so. Please vote, if you haven't yet done so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It says I have until June 11th... is that not the case? Because I can try to find time to vote this week (or next weekend) if necessary...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have until June 11th. But I like to keep elevating visibility to keep the contest in folks' minds. I think this increases response rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
Inkwan wrote:
robbbbbb wrote:
This isn't Chicago.

Are you dead? If you're dead, you can vote multiple times.

Nowadays we rig the voting machines!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
You have until June 11th. But I like to keep elevating visibility to keep the contest in folks' minds. I think this increases response rate.

My turn to elevate the visibility: I've read these and voted and agree there are some excellent entries here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z Enopus
Equatorial Guinea
Ebebiyín
msg tools
Blood
badge
...SUCKER!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have never even heard of the base games... How can or even can... I vote?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.