Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dinky Dungeons
Mythic Game Master Emulator
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Avalon's Solo Adventure System
Shadowrun: Sixth World Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Rough Nights & Hard Days
Courts of Stone
LOAD ""
OVA: The Anime Role-Playing Game
Grimtina's Guard
Kids on Bikes
Ironsworn
Black Void
D&D Essentials Kit
Trinity Continuum: Aberrant
Trail of Cthulhu
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Pacific Rim Sourcebook
Melee
Powers & Perils (Basic Set)
Catapult Run
Big Rubble
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
Symbaroum Core Rulebook
Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea (Second Edition)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Starter Set (4th Edition)
Realms of Terrinoth
Amazing Tales
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Forbidden Lands Card Deck
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Magical Kitties Save the Day
No Future
Maximum Apocalypse the Roleplaying Game Quickstart Guide
The Scroll or the Blade
GM's Maps 87: Warehouse
Highfell
Sanderson Distillery
Lokis: Sacred Isles of the Northmen
Death Star Technical Companion
Cyberspace
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
59 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

The One Ring» Forums » News

Subject: Cubicle 7 Announces The One Ring Second Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emmet Byrne
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi all,

Today we are delighted to announce a second edition of The One Ring Roleplaying Game. For all the details, follow this link: https://www.cubicle7games.com/cubicle-7-announces-the-one-ri...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Toad
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Looks exciting! Glad all previous material will be compatible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I was sad to see this (having just bought a number of things) but given the later setting and compatibility, it looks great!

Starter set is a great idea!

Will the mentioned Moria supplement replace the one announced last year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmet Byrne
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
John85 wrote:
Wow, I was sad to see this (having just bought a number of things) but given the later setting and compatibility, it looks great!

Starter set is a great idea!

Will the mentioned Moria supplement replace the one announced last year?

When we knew we would be creating a second edition we decided to delay Moria. The Moria listed here is the same one we've been discussing for a (very long!) time, but updated for 2nd edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrtoad wrote:
Looks exciting! Glad all previous material will be compatible.

Yes this is one of the main things I was worried about. I'm so glad all the previous material is compatible as I would not be rebuying everything. I am hoping one day for a Gondor supplement as well, so I'm glad to see that on the schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mixed feelings on this. While the game seemed great reading the rules, it just never clicked with me while playing. I was considering selling all the content since I had kept up with hoping it would work. Now I should probably wait to see if it fixes the issues I had with it.

What exactly will need to be modified to keep using existing content with the new version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Bustos
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
Ancient Manuscripts
badge
Mothership Connection
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bought everything to date. I'm glad it's compatible with first (revised) edition, and just core rules (+bestiary) and LM screen are redundant. The rest is new and welcome.

But, in the future, sure they will update former books to the new rules, art and style. Leaving the previous obsolete.

So, well, I don't know how to feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmet Byrne
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
We have plenty of Middle-earth to explore so currently there are no plans to revise existing books (such as Rivendell, Mirkwood etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emmetation wrote:
We have plenty of Middle-earth to explore so currently there are no plans to revise existing books (such as Rivendell, Mirkwood etc.)

Really? I confess I find that disappointing. As someone who’s been eyeing TOR for a couple of years but never made the plunge, I’m enthusiastic about the second edition and will definitely get into the game now. But I would hope that those earlier products would eventually be updated; why keep reprinting 1st edition products as-is (unless the required changes to bring them up-to-date are actually quite extensive)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Emmetation wrote:
Hi all,

Today we are delighted to announce a second edition of The One Ring Roleplaying Game. For all the details, follow this link: https://www.cubicle7games.com/cubicle-7-announces-the-one-ri...

Isn't this really a 3rd edition? I mean, there's the two-volume version, and the single book version, and they differ in content; calling this new version second edition is going to confuse people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dylan
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder how this may affect AIME 5E?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmet Byrne
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
AiME is almost caught up with previous TOR releases (only Erebor Adventures and the two Rohan supplements to go). The new content for TOR2 will also be converted for AiME
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dylan
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emmetation wrote:
AiME is almost caught up with previous TOR releases (only Erebor Adventures and the two Rohan supplements to go). The new content for TOR2 will also be converted for AiME

Excellent... thanks for answering!

...but the real question is the Moria boxed set...

Will it be a combined set compatible for both, or separate products?
Either way I'll be buying it... hoping the maps are awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Bustos
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
Ancient Manuscripts
badge
Mothership Connection
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
Isn't this really a 3rd edition? I mean, there's the two-volume version, and the single book version, and they differ in content; calling this new version second edition is going to confuse people.

The single hardcover was known as Revised Edition. A revised 1st edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex VIlle
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really surprise. AIME was the first sign that sell of the original game were declining, plus the silence around the Moria box set and the mention of doing a starter set. All the ingredients were there for this announcement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Harrison
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Not really interested in a 2nd edition as doubt the rule changes C7 are making will be better than the ones I've already made for my group. Do hope you'll still have Jon Hodgson's artwork in there; he is the look of "The One Ring" so hope his influence in that respect is kept and not pushed aside just because he's left the company.

Some of the additional supplements look interesting, it's nice to see what is in the pipeline, but its a shame Moria has been further delayed - again, C7 demonstrate that they can't keep to any kind of schedule.

That new design though... <shudder>... It's pretty bad, in my opinion, sorry. It manages to be cluttered/busy and fairly uninspiring at the same time - which is some achievement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Weatherford
United States
Tonganoxie
Kansas
flag msg tools
Zedturtle is doing a lot of the work on this. I think it is going to be great! I also think that this has great potential to bring a whole new group of players to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asrath von Berenor
Germany
flag msg tools
dakerjohn wrote:
Really? I confess I find that disappointing. As someone who’s been eyeing TOR for a couple of years but never made the plunge, I’m enthusiastic about the second edition and will definitely get into the game now. But I would hope that those earlier products would eventually be updated; why keep reprinting 1st edition products as-is (unless the required changes to bring them up-to-date are actually quite extensive)?

I‘m really excited about the second edition. I think it’s a good idea to concentrate on the core books and especially new areas and leave the published source books mostly untouched. For what I read about the 2nd edition so far I don’t expect it to be a major overhaul. So the old source books should still be usable quite well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
You may have lost me at "…stunning new maps created by renowned cartographer Jared Blando". Based on his work in Hoard of the Dragon Queen and everything I've seen from his book and his website, Blando is the Q-Workshop of cartographers, sacrificing clarity and legibility in favour of ornate decoration; his work drove me nuts when I was running Hoard with my D&D group, and it's just about the exact opposite of what I want in an RPG map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one has ever come close to matching the work Pete Fenlon did on the ICE maps. I live in hope but if this new guy is the same one from the d&d 5e modules, then yeah I'm not so sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, perhaps we have been here before: when TOR was made things were revised from Adventures over the Edge of the Wild [AEW].
Even now page references in HotW, DoM and Laketown remain slightly adrift from TOR, but this is a small niggle.

With this new edition of TOR it feels a much bigger shift. 'Compatible with minor adjustments' is the claim. So, How many "adjustments" will this new edition create?

Perhaps the key will be in the claimed "11 Cultures" - if any of the original 6 core TOR/AEW Cultures are largely rewritten then the 'minor adjustments' will not feel so minor.

Over the past year or so there have been several of the newer cultures discussed and explored in forums (Rohan and the Dunedain Rangers come to mind) but most parties of adventurers still seem to have a mix that always includes some of those base 6 cultures.
If I can put in a request - please keep those six original Cultures as close as possible to the current TOR/AEW. I can incorporate a revision to how the latter cultures are written or played, but it would make a transition from TOR to TORv2 a LOT easier if PCs that have already had a life were to move into this newer, later era without altering their backstory or previous experience. If my character can progress, then his life story can move along as well.

Apart from this I am very excited that plans for Gondor are actually happening. I never did MERP; and caught on to RPG with Tolkien later when the Decipher series started up because my children wanted to do more than my own homemade 'Gollum's Cave' stories. Because the Decipher series never reached the Return of the King I still feel I wasted my money on it.
When Cubicle 7 produce the hard copy of Minas Tirith I will feel satisfied that the world of Tolkien RPG has a basic and complete structure that all the other material can sit around. For me Minas Tirith is more necessary than Moria.

Any way: I am optimistic for this change because TOR has always been great and it has already successfully evolved. So far the system has stayed together well (remarkably well imho).
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent P.
France
flag msg tools
I feel the 1st edition's books are not just compatible with the 2nd, they're complementary. I don't think C7 will rewrite the regional guides, am I wrong? So the contents developped for the 1st edition will still be useful to play in the Wild, Eriador and Rohan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, it is a clever move by Cubicle 7.

Thanks to AiMe and, to some extent, to the visibility Amazon is giving to the Lord of the Rings franchise, it is a good moment to re-start (to some point) the game and try to attract new players to it.

As for now, if anyone feels interested in seeing "what LotR-rpg is out there", he will see lots of supplements of different regions and a core book that is several years old. Also, he will read reviews about the rules being spread out among several books and stuff like that.
So, many potential new players/LMs will skip buying anything right now, most likely.

Besides the new comprehensive core, the monster's manual, and the starter kit (which is a lot!), the line of supplements will follow what was foreseen and announced several years ago: Moria, then Gondor, adventure-campaign for Gondor, and will see what afterwards (The Shire and West Eriador, probably). Also, each new region guide+adventure book always moved the timeline further nearer the War of the Ring, so that's also not new.

So, all in all, for us old-fans of the game, not much will change besides having new/modified rules to choose from which ones we like more.

Regarding the visual and artistic aspect, I feel it is understandable that, if Jon Hodgson went away from C7, then the line has to follow a different path. Mr. Hodgson will imprint his personal style to his own published products (Handiwork Games), so TOR has to differentiate itself from them. Also, he and Paul Bourne branded an era and the foundings of this game. That's something to be cheerished. Now, let's let other people try to brand their own abilites and discover new artists, just like we got to know Hodgson and Bourne in the first place 8 years ago (I had no clue who they were and am glad someone choose them for TOR).

The game is trying to enter a new era, where it will fight for a position among the top-rpgs of all time (well deserved), and therefore it needs to renew itself in some aspects. For example, by changing its main name and foremost concept in the announcement from "The One Ring" to "The Lord of the Rings Role-playing Game".

It aims no more to be a niche game, a hidden jewel. It wants to be a frontman and lead singer in the roleplaying world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Harrison
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Some good points there Falenthal and well made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.