The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Strange Adventures!: The House on Poplar Court
Acquisitions Incorporated
Deluxe Revised RECON
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Tales from the Loop
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Expanse Roleplaying Game
The Dark Side Sourcebook
Nocturnum: Master Collection
The Burning Wheel Fantasy Roleplaying System (Gold)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Gunderholfen
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
The Witchwar Legacy
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Hideous Creatures
Shadows Over Stillwater
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Over the Edge
The Extraction: An Adventure for Musketeers, 1628
The Desert Portal
Terror of the Stratosfiend #1.5
Freedom or Toaster
Brigands of Sherwood
Exalted Rulebook
Aftermath!
Call of Cthulhu (2nd Edition)
CDM1: The Halls of the Dwarven Kings
Sorcerer
Ghostwalk
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Lady Blackbird
GM Gems Volume 1: A Collection of Game Master Inspiration
Champions of Mystara: Heroes of the Princess Ark
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Numenera
Mythic Adventures
Hillfolk
Keeper Rulebook
Investigator Handbook
Lords of Gossamer & Shadow
Strategy Guide
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
Dark Albion: The Rose War
KULT: Divinity Lost
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: RPG Geek of the Month #428: Chuck Dee (chuckdee68) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
I succumbed to peer pressure and bought OverText, then couldn't think of anything clever to say.
badge
Keep going, you'll find no words of sage advice or solace here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Want to know more about this thread? RPG_Geek_of_the_Week

We're at the threshold of a warm and wonderful June, and that means it's time to meet the newest Geek of the Month!

Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
Sometimes, you just have to roll it.
badge
Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?
mbmbmbmbmb

I ran into Chuck while noodling around the various Geek forums. I heartily approved of his choice of dice bag, and found his many thread replies both interesting and sufficiently different from mine that I wanted to know more about what made him tick. His list of "five RPGs that explained his tastes" again varied greatly from my own preferences, focusing on a more narrative style. I felt I would enjoy learning a broader approach to gaming by following someone who didn't always echo my own opinions.

Here's what he had to say about himself:

chuckdee68 wrote:
I've been gaming for quite a while, discovering RPGs by way of miniatures when I walked into a store because of the detailed dioramas in the windows. I asked about the other books and such in the store and eventually bought an Advanced Dungeons and Dragons book. I had no one to play with, so just played around with the rules alone, making up characters, staging fantastic battles, and changing the rules to make my own stories. From that unorthodox beginning and love of writing, no system was ever safe from that point on. When I found friends with shared interests, the games that we played were nothing like the ones in the books, but we loved them anyway.

I dreamed of getting into gaming- either writing for RPGs or Computer Games. At one time or another, I got into both professionally in various roles, from store manager to QA tester to Computer game developer to writer, but found out that neither area pays the bills well in any capacity, so just do it on the side, to finance my eclectic and varied RPG collection. I do hope even now that I will one day be able to make a living off of it, but that's a vanishing dream.

Most of my gaming now that I've moved away from everyone I know are play-by-email. I've tried play-by-forum, but something about it doesn't appeal to the writer in me, though I've learned recently about play by shared document, and it works very well. My other hobbies are Mechanical Keyboards, Music (piano, guitar, vocals), wood working, swimming, and cycling.

Which one is NOT true?:
Poll
Two Truths and a Lie
1. I qualified at an Olympic Trials Swim Meet.
2. Another hobby is piloting, but I had to give it up when I moved.
3. I had hypothermia on a Scouting trip north of Alberta.
      19 answers
Poll created by bobcatt

And I get the honour of asking the first questions!

1) What do your kids and spouse think of your gaming hobby? Are they involved in any RPG games/campaigns with you?

2) Which game design idea that's currently on the back burner would you really like to kick into high gear and get finished?

3) Which story arc that you've run in the past would you "do-over" given your current level of knowledge and experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the intro!

bobcatt wrote:

1) What do your kids and spouse think of your gaming hobby? Are they involved in any RPG games/campaigns with you?

They think it's strange, but appreciate and try to be understanding of it. My daughter reads/writes a lot (mostly Supernatural related stuff) so understands a bit more about the narrative process and asks me questions at times. But mostly, they like party type games (Card games, Cards against Humanity), so don't play.

bobcatt wrote:

2) Which game design idea that's currently on the back burner would you really like to kick into high gear and get finished?

I'm really involved in pbems, but one of the major limitations of the medium that frustrates me at times is around the use of player agency and control. I'm working on a system that will hopefully help with that by the use of tokens to allow for a measure of control of the players' fate and resource management.

bobcatt wrote:

3) Which story arc that you've run in the past would you "do-over" given your current level of knowledge and experience?

One of my first pbems that I actually ran was an Aberrant campaign based in Night City. The overarching theme was based around the fact that the 'good guys' weren't so good and the 'bad guys' weren't so bad, and navigating that gray area between both My inexperience in the medium and in selecting players for such a writing intensive experience ultimately derailed it, but I'd love to start that campaign again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
Congrats Chuck! It's been nice seeing you around in the forums.

Question 1: Did you make the interlocking "CD" logo in your avatar? Either way, it's pretty snazzy.

Question 2: What's your favorite board game? Bonus points for surprising me if it's actually Farkle, the highest-rated in your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
Congrats Chuck! It's been nice seeing you around in the forums.

Thanks! It's a pretty welcoming place!

mawilson4 wrote:

Question 1: Did you make the interlocking "CD" logo in your avatar? Either way, it's pretty snazzy.

Well, depends on your definition of "made". I took bits of it from other places and recolored it, framed it, and added the text.

mawilson4 wrote:

Question 2: What's your favorite board game? Bonus points for surprising me if it's actually Farkle, the highest-rated in your collection.

Well, I have the tendency not to rate things as I add them. I'm always up for a game of Farkle (mostly because, as I said, my family loves simpler party type games, and that's the best of the bunch), but I prefer the big box games (though it could be because I never get to play them). My favorite of the bunch would be either Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), Shogun, or Descent: Journeys in the Dark so no bonus points for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Congrats Chuck! Have a fun and fruitful month!

PS: Your name sounds like an old school rapper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
Congrats Chuck! Have a fun and fruitful weekend!

PS: Your name sounds like an old school rapper.

Though it is my nickname, the person that gave it to me was basing it on Chuck D! Good catch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmb
Congrats, Chuck! Enjoy your week month in the spotlight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Chuck, enjoy your month!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Chuck!
Hope you have a wizard of a week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Chuck! Enjoy your month in the sun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Chuck!

Do you collect dice or have any really cool ones?

Enjoy your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Chuck, enjoy your month!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all!

bulldog93 wrote:
Do you collect dice or have any really cool ones?

I don't really collect dice, but I have a lot of them. But that's mostly from my Kickstarter habit than any real aim in collecting them.

As far as cool ones, not really. I am in on the Artifact Dice Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dogmight/artifact-dice?...) and if/when those ship, they will be the coolest dice that I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats CHUCK!

What's your favorite thing about rpggeek?
What's your favorite rpg system?
What's your biggest ambition currently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:
Congrats CHUCK!

Thanks! And those are really cool emoticons that I've not seen used before!

Inkwan wrote:

What's your favorite thing about rpggeek?

I was on BGGeek for a while before I ever even noticed RPGGeek. And I'm not sure if I wasn't engaged, or if it just wasn't engaging. But I didn't spend much time there, though I did like boardgames. Other than reading about games and such, the interaction wasn't there.

There's more interaction here from what I've seen, and with G+ going away, this has been a welcome place to share my love of RPGs.

Inkwan wrote:

What's your favorite rpg system?

That's a loaded question. I'm not sure that I have a favorite. I have some that I have loved, and others that have taken their place. Right now, I adapt most things to Fate in my mind when I see them. But I play mostly Amber and I love that too for different reasons.

Inkwan wrote:

What's your biggest ambition currently?

Well, in terms of gaming, I want to get my system that I'm working on done and published. And hopefully, people to like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
I succumbed to peer pressure and bought OverText, then couldn't think of anything clever to say.
badge
Keep going, you'll find no words of sage advice or solace here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Chuck,

Have you ever considered combining your wood working hobby with gaming? i.e. making a gaming table, dice tower, display case, or other accessory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatt wrote:
Have you ever considered combining your wood working hobby with gaming? i.e. making a gaming table, dice tower, display case, or other accessory?

No, but now that you put it to words, I'm not sure why I never have. My woodworking up until now has been more in the way of wood burning and carving- never anything that required assembly. But now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmb
chuckdee68 wrote:
bobcatt wrote:

No, but now that you put it to words, I'm not sure why I never have. My woodworking up until now has been more in the way of wood burning and carving- never anything that required assembly. But now...

Care to share some of your work with us, Chuck? I'd love to see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monsieur Hisound
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bxrrr wrote:
chuckdee68 wrote:
bobcatt wrote:

Care to share some of your work with us, Chuck? I'd love to see it.

With that, I realize that I never take pictures of my woodworking. My mechanical keyboards are usually where I take pictures.

I do have a picture of something I made for my daughter, but it barely qualifies, as it's more of a craft project done on a wooden canvas than wood working.

It's a hinged box that's made to look like a book, but it's mostly just gluing parts together and screwing in a hinge then painting it, and applying the anti-possession symbol that I traced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quaid
United States
flag msg tools
designer
There are great things afoot.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Chuck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my first projects is still hanging on the wall, so I took a quick picture.

And since I spoke of Mechanical Keyboards, my first custom keyboard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Chuck on being Geek of the Month

d10-1 Bucket of dice or minimal dice?

d10-2 What is your most used RPG book?

d10-3 What is your most prized RPG possession?

d10-4 If you could visit any RPG world for real which would it be?

d10-5 If you could own for real one item off one of your player character's character Sheets, what would it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugavine wrote:
Congrats Chuck on being Geek of the Month

Thanks!

Ugavine wrote:
d10-1 Bucket of dice or minimal dice?

I use the same dice all the time. But as far as possess, I have this Kickstarter problem...

Ugavine wrote:
d10-2 What is your most used RPG book?

My Rolemaster books or my Cyberpunk FNFF. These days, I don't really use the books as much, sticking to the PDFs and my tablet to read them, and keeping the books in mint condition.

Ugavine wrote:
d10-3 What is your most prized RPG possession?

I ... really don't know. Never really thought about it in those terms. I think I value the experiences more than the actual items, and the experiences that would be made less possible.

Ugavine wrote:
d10-4 If you could visit any RPG world for real which would it be?

My favorite worlds are for the most part more literary than gaming related. But I guess with the caveat that I would fit into the world if visiting, it would be something more futuristic and transhuman like Mindjammer or Eclipse Phase.

Ugavine wrote:
d10-5 If you could own for real one item off one of your player character's character Sheets, what would it be?

In TimeLords the characters have a device that allows them to time travel. I'd love to time travel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Callahan
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Chuck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.