The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Strange Adventures!: The House on Poplar Court
Acquisitions Incorporated
Deluxe Revised RECON
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Tales from the Loop
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Expanse Roleplaying Game
The Dark Side Sourcebook
Nocturnum: Master Collection
The Burning Wheel Fantasy Roleplaying System (Gold)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Gunderholfen
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
The Witchwar Legacy
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Hideous Creatures
Shadows Over Stillwater
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Over the Edge
The Extraction: An Adventure for Musketeers, 1628
The Desert Portal
Terror of the Stratosfiend #1.5
Freedom or Toaster
Brigands of Sherwood
Exalted Rulebook
Aftermath!
Call of Cthulhu (2nd Edition)
CDM1: The Halls of the Dwarven Kings
Sorcerer
Ghostwalk
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Lady Blackbird
GM Gems Volume 1: A Collection of Game Master Inspiration
Champions of Mystara: Heroes of the Princess Ark
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Numenera
Mythic Adventures
Hillfolk
Keeper Rulebook
Investigator Handbook
Lords of Gossamer & Shadow
Strategy Guide
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
Dark Albion: The Rose War
KULT: Divinity Lost
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
The largest that regularly met and wasn't a one-off at a convention was 10, 9 players plus 1 GM, since they wanted a LOTR style party with lots of specialized characters for their epic quest. It was... not always the best, due to the personalities of the characters, not because of the number of us. When we had nine people present (notably when the rogue missed a session) we actually were able to advance the plot in game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
I ran for a group of 13 fifth graders all of whom were new to RPGs. They were about half of my wife's class that year. I don't really know the genesis of the game, only that she asked me if I'd be willing to run for them.

It was D&D 3.5; and there was one session for character creation and three actual game sessions. It was crazy keeping them all in line. I'd made them roll group initiative then add their bonuses to that number; it made the turn order effectively fixed which helped a lot. It was still like herding cats.

Recently one of those students came to an open house and thanked my wife for the D&D club. She hadn't realized until then there were others who were "strange" like her and it helped her deal with middle and high school. Those were her words and it was very gratifying to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Back in college I was a player in a 20+ player game that used all the palladium build except Robotech.

It seemed awesome at first, but the novelty wore off after a while. There were just too many players for the game to either progress at a reasonable rate or for the story to gain any momentum

I give kudos to the gm for running that game for six semesters!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember when WotC used to do Worldwide D&D Game Day?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwide_Dungeons_%26_Dragons...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larp: played with 60 players (wod met)

Tabletop: gmed 10+ players marvel super heroes, Brave new world.

The solution for both IMO is lite streamlined systems. Also, streamlined settings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My nephew recently played in a game of 12 - 13 players. He said he was nearly asleep before it was back to his turn 45 minutes later... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
LARP : about 250 (organised that one). No real problems but a LOT of prep. Like, months with a crew of 30.
One shot: 30 or so in a classroom. Every row shared one character. It was a type of team building thing. It would have improved by taking more lessons in animal husbandry - cat herding.
con game: 10 players and myself. Game was End of the world. Went great, total improv game.
Regular: 12-person Shadowrun when two of my groups needed to merge when a venue became unavailable over the summer. Disaster. Split up thankfully after 4 sessions. Downtime was ridiculous even though there were two GMs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had as many as 8 or 9 at a table for traditional tabletop play. It's fun, but you need a super-light system. Characters need to have few options so that they can choose things and go with it. It helps to reduce the downtime.

We ran one-shot, weekend-long LARP games in college. The GM would write all the characters, you'd get 'em on Friday night, and then play all day Saturday and half of Sunday. Great fun. I personally wrote and ran a 44 player game. One of the other guys wrote and ran a 75 player game. That was crazy, and you never got to see everything that was going on.

Those LARP games used very minimal systems that players could resolve among themselves. And we had multiple (3-5) GMs running a game at once. And it was fun! But you need a system that players can resolve between themselves, and you need GMs that talk to each other about what's happening in-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At our company Gamers Club (where I usually play board games) I joined the RPGers for the first 2 session. 1st session was character creation. 2nd session we has 11 players and a DM (D&D 4th ed). I felt the game pace was glacial, we only completed 1 encounter in 3 hours. I went back to board gaming after that, but the rest of the RPGers enjoyed it and continued for 3 or 4 years (different campaigns) until they couldn't find anyone willing to GM.

The most I've ever DMed was 8 players at a Con. While it was happening, I felt things were going well. Afterward I realized that 3 players had hogged most of the spotlight and the other 5 players were just along for the ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
I run convention games (usually retros*) that advertise for six but I plan for 8. So I run 8 at cons.

I always have more people apply than I can seat. and I like to hold a seat or two for my son and/or someone that I know/met at the con that couldn't get in.

The trick for me is to move the GM's focus roving like the Eye of Sauron to avoid any one player dominating the conversation. That and trying to make sure that the scenario has a mix of activities (sometimes this is a adjust on the fly) to allow everyone to have a little triumph, even if they avoid combat.

My largest group ever was senior year in college when the group briefly swelled to 13. That didn't go as well due to downtimes and the fact that a couple of the people weren't actually interested in the game but came because they were interested in group members. And a few others were put off by one fellow's archaic opinions (he had no filter at all) and colorful language. We were down to eight two sessions later.

*Star Frontiers, Gamma World 1e, AD+D1e/2e, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.