The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Strange Adventures!: The House on Poplar Court
Acquisitions Incorporated
Deluxe Revised RECON
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Tales from the Loop
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Expanse Roleplaying Game
The Dark Side Sourcebook
Nocturnum: Master Collection
The Burning Wheel Fantasy Roleplaying System (Gold)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Gunderholfen
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
The Witchwar Legacy
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Hideous Creatures
Shadows Over Stillwater
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Over the Edge
The Extraction: An Adventure for Musketeers, 1628
The Desert Portal
Terror of the Stratosfiend #1.5
Freedom or Toaster
Brigands of Sherwood
Exalted Rulebook
Aftermath!
Call of Cthulhu (2nd Edition)
CDM1: The Halls of the Dwarven Kings
Sorcerer
Ghostwalk
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Lady Blackbird
GM Gems Volume 1: A Collection of Game Master Inspiration
Champions of Mystara: Heroes of the Princess Ark
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Numenera
Mythic Adventures
Hillfolk
Keeper Rulebook
Investigator Handbook
Lords of Gossamer & Shadow
Strategy Guide
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
Dark Albion: The Rose War
KULT: Divinity Lost
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
Three years ago my doctor told me I was going deaf... I haven’t heard from him since
mbmbmbmbmb
A question suggested by

Joseph Hellar
msg tools
designer

What was the most deadly or absurd weapon, spell, or other deadly thing you used or had used on you in a game?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmb
As a DM...a wish spell. Who is willing to wield it? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
Sometimes, you just have to roll it.
badge
Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?
mbmbmbmbmb
Not me, but someone in the party - A "Be Not" spell in RoleMaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamma World (2nd Edition) - Torc Grenade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckdee68 wrote:
A "Be Not" spell in RoleMaster.

The "paradox" spell, because you cast it and the subject is erased from reality rendering the spell's subject non-existent meaning there is no rationale for casting the spell, hence you don't, but then...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My group in WFRP wanted to go shopping for magical items (obviously used to D&D style games...). Finally they found a merchant willing to sll them a sword with a magical effect - "against goblinoids". Expecting something like Frodos weapon they bought it.

Later they sneaked up to some goblin guards when they discovered the sword's ability - baaing like a sheep when goblins are near. And alerting the whole goblin tribe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
United States
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I beat a goblin to death with another goblin, once (this was a while ago, but I noticed recently that the 5th ed D&D PHB specifically suggests that a goblin could be used as an improvised weapon, so maybe it's not that absurd).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
My group in a D&D campaign came across a wish ring. The PC who had it asked for infinite wish so he lost all of his wisdom score and kept repeating "I wish." My group has never run across a wish ring since. I forget the module that we were playing at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
Tie between Stormbringer and a Balrog.

I never actually used the Extended Death Spell mentioned (as a joke) in one of the sidebar quotes in Rhand: Morningstar Missions:
Quote:
Extended Death Spell
Cost 1000MF
As regular Death Spell, but also affects target's family, relatives, friends, business associates, acquaintances, and strangers who bear a faint physical resemblance. Especially effective against tight-knit clans, but not as good as the Genocide Spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
trystero11 wrote:
Tie between Stormbringer and a Balrog.

Reading The Knight by Wolfe now and although not magical, Sword Breaker is pretty brutal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuclear Bomb in a Star Wars game.

PCs were standing on this giant bomb and the GM had his NPCs warning my PCs that the slightest more could set it off. Only the GM also had all his favourite NPC villains there. So my PC started jumping up and down and hitting it with a hammer to set it off. Basically I called the GMs bluff and sure enough he had the bomb teleported away!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An enemy summoned a boar the size of a dump truck and it charged across the battlefield at us. Bad attack rolls on the part of the boar bought our fighter enough time to finish off the enemy that summoned him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
As a DM...a wish spell. Who is willing to wield it? devil

The Goliath paladin in one of my PbF games decided to pick a card from a Deck of Many Things, and subsequently got TWO Wish spells. We have yet to use it, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hellar
msg tools
designer
Had to kill off a vampire and we decided to do so in way that made his death absurd to make sure other vampires in the area knew that modern day murder hobos had no respect for them as scary creatures of darkness.

So driving a stake through his heart became driving a steak through his heart, we decided on t-bone and to drive it into him with a car.

Of course the gm pointed out this would not kill a vampire so we had the t-bone blessed, and stole the pope mobile. At this point he gave up and just ran with the joke

Getting bored trying to arrange a time and place to attempt to drive at him with the pope mobile and a stake strapped to the front bumper, we instead swung it at him into his 20th floor office through a window by strapping it to a cable from a helicopter and then followed it in to finish him off with a traditional fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
I succumbed to peer pressure and bought OverText, then couldn't think of anything clever to say.
badge
Keep going, you'll find no words of sage advice or solace here.
mbmbmbmbmb
It was the damnable Deck of Many Things.

Most of the party was negatively impacted to such a degree that it was pointless to continue on with the same characters. Lost levels, lowered stats, planeshifted, etc. A garbage magical item that should have been banished to the nether regions itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Gibson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Superhero game (Champions). Was playing a man sized amoeba - stretch powers and lower end brick/strong guy.

In a situation a bunch of the team was thrown in the air, an I wanted to catch them with stretching - the GM allowed it, but after that said I needed to get "Explosion" with Strength (basically an area affect that got weaker the further out from the center of effect).

The true brick in the party was looking at my character sheet saw that and had the idea to throw me in the middle of the bad guys at the start of the fight.

The X-men have the fastball special - we had the Organic Grenade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wood
United States
Frankfort
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.accessiblegames.biz
badge
Author of Psi-punk - Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
The most absurd weapon I used was a stuffed parrot. My barbarian in D&D 3.0 had just acquired one, and in the next adventure found himself in need of something to attack a changeling with. Only problem is that the changeling was shifted to look like our party's monk, and the two were grappling on the ground. I didn't know exactly which one to hit, but I reasoned that the monk wouldn't be on the bottom of a grapple so I decided to go for the one that was pinned. I didn't want to get it wrong while attacking with my greataxe though, so I grabbed the stuffed parrot and used it as an improvised sap.

I got it right, thankfully, and knocked the bugger unconscious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
We were playing in a game with a GM who was notoriously fond of having his NPCs dominate the story. His NPC uber-demon/wizard fell in love with one of the PCs. He took her off to his private demi-plane (willingly -- her player enjoyed being able to call on the uberdude anytime she wanted) where they were married and she raised their kid to about age 15. She returned to our plane having been gone a week.

Another player and I were very unhappy with this and decided to kill her to punish her and the demon (yeah, it was kind of stupid). Anyhow, we were successful and the uber-domon came to punish us. He cast a new spell called Genocide and killed every member of our species (he was human, I was a dwarf) in a 26 mile radius with no saving throw. He then removed us from the area and cast the reverse spell (I think it was Genisis) and restored everyone else.

Many questions followed about how the spell chose who to restore to life. We never did get an answer and the game ended shortly afterwards when the other player and I refused to make new characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaming Pigs:
We were in an enclosed area. From outside our foes set fire to about a dozen pigs which flew down the hall and crowded us. Between the fires and not being able to see due to the smoke it was frustrating. Then came the barrage of arrows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Yankee on a rocket (beating the dreaded unearthly armor...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Assault rifle with bullpup grenade launcher to cook off a dragon's wings in Shadowrun so it crashed into the pavement eighty stories down. The whole neighborhood ate like kings for weeks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
chuckdee68 wrote:

The "paradox" spell, because you cast it and the subject is erased from reality rendering the spell's subject non-existent meaning there is no rationale for casting the spell, hence you don't, but then...

You're forgetting sequencing, my good man...

You cast the spell. Until the spell goes off, you still remember them. ANd the spell simply erases all knowledge of them from the universe...not what they did - tho' others will be blamed/credited.

You know you've succeeded when you ask, "Now who the bleep did I just erase?"

If you can remember who, then you know they made their save.

Now, the real fun part... It doesn't always, RAW, include removal of the person from the universe...

The worst invocation of this was a full up 10th-level AD&D2 wish made by a player... "I wish that ___ be unremembered by anyone at all, no one ever being able to even put a name to him, nor his description, voice, nor manner..." Which allowed him to pose as a merchant just long enough to kill the wisher, who didn't remember him at all. Not even from the moment he refused to buy the wares and turned away, to the instant he was struck from behind.

At least, in one game I had a copy of, that eradication spell was written such that it killed the target in addition to deleting their memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
Sometimes, you just have to roll it.
badge
Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
ctimmins wrote:
chuckdee68 wrote:

You're forgetting sequencing, my good man...

You cast the spell. Until the spell goes off, you still remember them. ANd the spell simply erases all knowledge of them from the universe...not what they did - tho' others will be blamed/credited.

You know you've succeeded when you ask, "Now who the bleep did I just erase?"

If you can remember who, then you know they made their save.

Now, the real fun part... It doesn't always, RAW, include removal of the person from the universe...

The worst invocation of this was a full up 10th-level AD&D2 wish made by a player... "I wish that ___ be unremembered by anyone at all, no one ever being able to even put a name to him, nor his description, voice, nor manner..." Which allowed him to pose as a merchant just long enough to kill the wisher, who didn't remember him at all. Not even from the moment he refused to buy the wares and turned away, to the instant he was struck from behind.

At least, in one game I had a copy of, that eradication spell was written such that it killed the target in addition to deleting their memory.

Well, the way that I read the spell in RM (and the way that the GM interpreted it) is that you removed the memory of it from everyone else other than yourself. And that the actions of the now removed person are attributed to someone else, thus removing them from the picture. It doesn't actually change the timeline at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Daumen
United States
The Triangle
flag msg tools
designer
(Tennessee and Wisconsin in between)
badge
I think you should realize these wings are really hot
mbmbmbmbmb
Not me, but a friend had to wield a frozen cleric against a monster who was immune to magic weapons. The poor priest had been caught in a white dragon's breath attack and the party was hauling him away for resurrection. IIRC one attack rolled a 0 and he shattered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing a Merc campain in Classic Traveller, the party were carry a couple of PGMPs. Perfect Just melted everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.