The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Strange Adventures!: The House on Poplar Court
Acquisitions Incorporated
Deluxe Revised RECON
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Tales from the Loop
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Expanse Roleplaying Game
The Dark Side Sourcebook
Nocturnum: Master Collection
The Burning Wheel Fantasy Roleplaying System (Gold)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Gunderholfen
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
The Witchwar Legacy
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Hideous Creatures
Shadows Over Stillwater
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Over the Edge
The Extraction: An Adventure for Musketeers, 1628
The Desert Portal
Terror of the Stratosfiend #1.5
Freedom or Toaster
Brigands of Sherwood
Exalted Rulebook
Aftermath!
Call of Cthulhu (2nd Edition)
CDM1: The Halls of the Dwarven Kings
Sorcerer
Ghostwalk
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Lady Blackbird
GM Gems Volume 1: A Collection of Game Master Inspiration
Champions of Mystara: Heroes of the Princess Ark
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Numenera
Mythic Adventures
Hillfolk
Keeper Rulebook
Investigator Handbook
Lords of Gossamer & Shadow
Strategy Guide
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
Dark Albion: The Rose War
KULT: Divinity Lost
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall anything off the top of my head, but this is a fabulously fun thread and I'm glad you ran it, Patrick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
Playing a Merc campain in Classic Traveller, the party were carry a couple of PGMPs. Perfect Just melted everything.

I've seen a PC survive an FGMP-15 hit... And had an NPC who survivied one as well. Melting man-sized things is a bit beyond its capabilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, my groups are all about absurd rather than deadly - so we've had a lot of crazy weapons over the years...

One of my earliest favorites:

Two party members stole a giant "black snake" firework from a Fire Mage in Shadowrun. They stored it in our team van. We were being shot by enemies... and it lit on fire. It took out the roof of the van. Half of us succeeded at bailing out. In loving karma, the two who stole it were taken out by the firework. It was glorious. It would have been better if it had taken out our enemies, but it did destroy our van and block the street for days (in game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Shadowrun GM decided that since the 'ignite' spell didn't indicate any chance or resisting it, that it automatically set a person ablaze with no defense possible, doing incapacitating damage almost immediately.

We argued that there was no chance of resisting it since it actually specified that it only worked on highly flammable objects and was not intended for use on creatures at all.

The GM disagreed...up until we had mages in our group and told them all to use ignite as an awesome unstoppable attack. Then he changed his mind.

So, um, yeah...absurdly deadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Anderson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The laser on a spaceship in our Savage Worlds space opera game that did 10d10 damage. A reasonable amount against another ship, but when it's aimed at a character... (characters typically had a Toughness in the high single digits).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
FNH1 wrote:
Playing a Merc campain in Classic Traveller, the party were carry a couple of PGMPs. Perfect Just melted everything.

I've seen a PC survive an FGMP-15 hit... And had an NPC who survivied one as well. Melting man-sized things is a bit beyond its capabilities.

Survived 16D6 versus three stats of 2D6 each?

Average stat of 7 * 3, total 21
Average attack of 16D6 (3 * 16) total 48

Seems survivable...rarely. But I just noted damage is significantly reduced by range, making it much more survivable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
FNH1 wrote:
aramis wrote:
FNH1 wrote:

Survived 16D6 versus three stats of 2D6 each?

Average stat of 7 * 3, total 21
Average attack of 16D6 (3 * 16) total 48

Seems survivable...rarely. But I just noted damage is significantly reduced by range, making it much more survivable.
The stat range is 1-15, not 2-12. You apparently forgot that Char Gen allows raising attributes.

IME, the average stat for PCs is about 9, not 7.

THe character in question was fairly buff - over 32 physicals. The PC in question also was reduced to 1 physical not at 0.

Also, damage is applied to attributes randomly from the non-zero physicals, one die at a time... at least for non-first hits. First blood is the only time you are supposed to just total it. The response I got from GDW in the 80's was that excess on a single die was lost for non-first hits.

Let's take a more reasonable example: typical 18yo FNG with 888nnn (he did opt for the army, after all)... getting hit with a 6d rifle

First blood hit: 1 3 1 1 1 3 = 10.

KO'd. Random attribute is Strength. then End. Current 068nnn If the combat lasts long enough for either 10 minutes or first aid...

First aid sets him to 478nnn

Next hit:
1 4 3 4 2 3
Apply a 3 to Dex: 448nnn R: 1 4 4 2 3
Apply a 3 to Dex: 418nnn R: 1 4 4 2
Apply a 4 to End: 414nnn R: 1 4 2
Apply a 1 to End: 413nnn R: 4 2

Here's where it gets into controversy... leftovers on single dier transfer vs leftovers spread to another.
No Transfer: I drop the remaining 4 on Dex (403nnn) and the 2 on Str (203nnn), and 10 minutes later, he's back to 546nnn...
Transfer: I put the 4 into Str (003nnn) and the 2 on End (001nnn) and he needs a medic to get walking again.

Now, a buff 4-term vet might be CD9... (12 13 9 for the non-hexidecimal comfortable)at 34 total. 0.03% chance of survival (using anydice)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.