The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Strange Adventures!: The House on Poplar Court
Acquisitions Incorporated
Deluxe Revised RECON
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Tales from the Loop
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
The Expanse Roleplaying Game
The Dark Side Sourcebook
Nocturnum: Master Collection
The Burning Wheel Fantasy Roleplaying System (Gold)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Gunderholfen
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
The Witchwar Legacy
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Hideous Creatures
Shadows Over Stillwater
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Over the Edge
The Extraction: An Adventure for Musketeers, 1628
The Desert Portal
Terror of the Stratosfiend #1.5
Freedom or Toaster
Brigands of Sherwood
Exalted Rulebook
Aftermath!
Call of Cthulhu (2nd Edition)
CDM1: The Halls of the Dwarven Kings
Sorcerer
Ghostwalk
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Lady Blackbird
GM Gems Volume 1: A Collection of Game Master Inspiration
Champions of Mystara: Heroes of the Princess Ark
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Numenera
Mythic Adventures
Hillfolk
Keeper Rulebook
Investigator Handbook
Lords of Gossamer & Shadow
Strategy Guide
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
Dark Albion: The Rose War
KULT: Divinity Lost
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
Three years ago my doctor told me I was going deaf... I haven’t heard from him since
mbmbmbmbmb
A question suggested by

Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Role playing since the beginning.
badge
You on the list? https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/47027/
mbmbmbmbmb

What board games could you play to generate large scale events for RPG settings?

Dan's example would be Freedom in the Galaxy which could have 1 turn between RPG sessions to create events in the galactic setting. Player actions could impact the next game turn.

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Just about any wargame at the strategic scale.

Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game can be used easily to generate major threats to be dealth with in RP mode...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a WHB battle as a climactic background event for a campaign finale. So I know that works, there must be tons more. Human creativity is boundless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
I would think that the board games that would be easiest to do this with are the games that have RPG systems ready to go for them. For example, play a certain number of rounds in Star Wars: Imperial Assault, then zoom in with Star Wars: Edge of the Empire (or something similar). Transitioning between the two wouldn't be that hard.

Or Mice and Mystics paired with Mouse Guard. The latter is more roleplaying, with crunchier mechanics, but actions in both translate to the other quite well.

Because my instinct was to name a game like Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition). But the issue there is creating an RPG system that works with the setting, and also correlates to turns in the game. There are plenty of RPGs in space. But very few where the gameplay resembles anything in the board game. Transitioning between one and the other in the same game would be very difficult. Much better to pick ones that are only separated by degrees.

Lastly, we could go Gygaxian here and say old-school wargames. The original systems that would become D&D were simply zoomed-in looks at the individuals in their elaborate war games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Erb
United States
Parkersburg
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the D&D 4E days, they created a Risk-like board game set in the same world, though the setting area of Nentir Vale was just a small part. It also had all of the classic dungeons of D&D located in different parts of the map, and part of that game was sending heroes into the dungeons to recover artifacts for your armies.

Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game

I absolutely loved the 4E Points of Light setting and the Nentir Vale. I had planned to use the board game to create a world-spanning war, but we never got that far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it would depend on the intent. If you're trying to rapidly determine outcomes of "big events" like battles, some systems have wargames that dovetail seamlessly (Iron Kingdoms Full Metal Fantasy Roleplaying Game, etc.). If you're trying to drive geopolitical development, something like Aria: Canticle of the Monomyth is similar in concept - a "world-view" meta-game, of sorts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC One my friends played either the Star Trek RPG or Gurps set in Star Trek. One the board games was not Star Fleet battles but one where you moved Fleets instead of single ships. So on a good week end it was Play the RPG either using a planet encounter or ship encounter. The result of that affected the sector of the boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious... there's no RPGs that have this kind of thing baked in already?

My group has toe-dipped into this "macro scenario" in the past, but haven't really gone anywhere with it, mainly because either:

1) The GM needs/wants more control of the larger world narrative.

2) The boardgame requires just enough modding to make it feel like a cob-job.

We attempted to implement Eclipse at one point to govern the macro-actions of a bunch of smaller space-nations moving in tandem/against a larger one, but point 1 came into fruition really fast, and it more or less just derailed the game and/or felt forced. I had a lot of issues trying to re-envision my universe to accommodate Eclipse’s machinations (it also didn’t help that I’m not a big fan of Eclipse anyway and left that part of the campaign administration to another player).

If an RPG baked that into the mechanics and narrative seamlessly, as one integrated system, either fantasy or sci-fi based (or other), that could be pretty interesting if handled correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are three possible ways this can work (which are not exclusive):

* Using a board game to represent a specific large scale event in an RPG.
* Using a board game to generate the initial state of the RPG in some fashion, with the role-playing taking over
* Using a board game in an ongoing fashion to decide how the wider situation changes.

The first bullet point is pretty common across the history of RPGs (especially if you loosely interpret "board game" as including miniatures games). Lots of RPGs have had mass combat systems, for example.

The 2nd bullet point seems like it would be the most easily implemented. There need not to be any mechanical integration of the games at all, the one precedes the other. My understanding is that the folks at GDW played some kind of large scale game to translate the setting of Twilight: 2000 to 2300 AD, but I do not know that for a fact.

The 3rd bullet point is the hardest, because a true feedback loop can be difficult to set up. Its easy to have events from the board game to feed into the RPG, but much harder to go the other direction. Mark said something similar above:
mawilson4 wrote:
But very few where the gameplay resembles anything in the board game. Transitioning between one and the other in the same game would be very difficult. Much better to pick ones that are only separated by degrees.

As to the question itself, I've always thought that the basic rules of Diplomacy could be used somehow to generate large scale events for RPGs. I mean, all you really need is:

* a map of some sort that shows the regions of interest and the borders. It doesn't have to be a literal map, it could be a diagram of political factions and centers of power, for example.

* marking some of those regions as supply centers that generate new pieces

* an initial placement of pieces for each faction/participant.

And away you go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Erb
United States
Parkersburg
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

Over the years, D&D has attempted to bake in world building or mass combat. Two that come to mind are Birthright Campaign Setting and Battlesystem Fantasy Combat Supplement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I believe that Spartacus Blood and Sand would make a good RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
merb101 wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:

Over the years, D&D has attempted to bake in world building or mass combat. Two that come to mind are Birthright Campaign Setting and Battlesystem Fantasy Combat Supplement.

Mass combat, yes... But I always thought of that as retro-fitting the older Chainmail-style minis action back into D&D…?

Not very familiar with Birthright. What I was thinking was a system that uses the same mechanics as the parent RPG in order to constantly change the world-stage power balance… sort of like Forgotten Realms by way of WW2, then using that as the backdrop the PCs are operating in. Their actions in the campaign can potentially also tip the scales for one side, or even grossly affect it (say… retrieving a specific artifact or assassinating a nation’s leader), and that would also be reflected in the macro game.

Heck, even structure sides/nations like classes, with their own specific abilities and feats, then use the world map (maybe some sort of shifting tile thing or abstraction?) as literal game board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
merb101 wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:

Yeah. That was my response to that. Birthright was an attempt to intertwine kingdom-management with an RPG setting. My reading of it was that it was okay, but the game system wasn't tight enough to really make it compelling. The math behind the game systems was too loose, and I think it would break down in long-term play. It suffered from not enough playtesting. (This is a common theme in games in general, and RPGs in particular.)

Re: Miniatures games. If you're talking larger-scale miniatures games to handle mass combats, I get it. But things like Warmachine and Warhammer 40,000 are awfully close to RPG scale in the first place, and I don't see a big advantage to using them.

Although I do remember one game of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (3rd Edition) where the GM took a one-night break from the RPG to pull in a game of Mordheim: City of the Damned which was integrated into the story. It was a neat one-night diversion that had an impact on the larger game. Good fun, but not anything I'd use for a long-term, overarching effect on a campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
jasperrdm wrote:
One the board games was not Star Fleet battles but one where you moved Fleets instead of single ships.

Is that Federation & Empire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

About a year ago, I got curious about a Kickstarter that aimed to do just this, and provided system-neutral rules for kingdom management and large-scale conflict that complimented the more granular exploits of nearly any RPG system. Wish I could remember the name. In any case, this concept exists, but I don't know that it's gotten much attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
Three years ago my doctor told me I was going deaf... I haven’t heard from him since
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Tyrants of the Underdark would work in a D&D campaign where drow politics influence the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:

About a year ago, I got curious about a Kickstarter that aimed to do just this, and provided system-neutral rules for kingdom management and large-scale conflict that complimented the more granular exploits of nearly any RPG system. Wish I could remember the name. In any case, this concept exists, but I don't know that it's gotten much attention.

Although far from perfect, Reign takes the interesting approach of describing organizations of any scale with PC style statistics and feats. A bakery might has 1 Treasury and 0 Military while a Rebel Militia might have 0 Treasury and 2 Military, etc. Individuals can take feats that effect things on the organization level, and companies can be nested with in one another for simulating political divides.

No boardgame element, but a clever way to integrate kingdom management. I wish I liked the dice mechanics more. The system was designed to be easily grafted on to other systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play Small World to establish the starting campaign state of a fantasy world; which races existed and have dominance in which areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
jasperrdm wrote:
IIRC One my friends played either the Star Trek RPG or Gurps set in Star Trek. One the board games was not Star Fleet battles but one where you moved Fleets instead of single ships. So on a good week end it was Play the RPG either using a planet encounter or ship encounter. The result of that affected the sector of the boardgame.

Was it Federation & Empire?

Doh! Rob+5 beat me to it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The key is that the board game turns MUST be simple. Otherwise, everyone gets board or at least out of rp mode too long. I used to use Lionheart, which was a simple sort of Chess with dice. Each unit represented a platoon. The players were attached to two platoons so any damage on those pieces were reflected by the death of platoon members.

The turns only took about 2 minutes so not too long to abstract.

For space trading, I would consider using Merchants of Venus. Instead though, I use a simple but clever phone RPG to determine:

quadrant wide faction actions (e.g. Trade wars, spy actions, full war, special ops (bounty hunter / assasinations), blockades
Missions at each planet,
a description of a city
A description of the wilderness on each planet
Random encounters with other faction ships
Pricing of a half dozen category of objects on each planet (e.g. plants, weapons, etc.)
Battle actions by antagonistic space ships

It worked very well for Uncharted Worlds, which is a PbtA in space with no built-in factions or universe. This game also just has the 6 or lower is a fail and GM fiat so the battle actions also help.

This phone game is does what Merchants of Venus would but quicker.

It is the original Space Traders rpg by the Trese Brothers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:
The key is that the board game turns MUST be simple. Otherwise, everyone gets board or at least out of rp mode too long.

It'd be an interesting experiment to bind two groups together. One group likes board games and plays something "overarching" to set the campaign events and direction. The other group likes RPGs and plays something "set in" the mutating campaign world. See how that develops.

Board Game: "Russia invaded China and won, but then the RPG characters resisted strongly and enjoyed a major heroic victory, so we have to wind back that Russian victory somewhat..."

RPG: "Why in the heck is Russia invading China all of a sudden? That seems random..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
I believe that Spartacus Blood and Sand would make a good RPG.

Mechanics: No named person ever dies in combat, regardless of wounds or odds or outcomes.

Unless the tragic narrative picks them for the episode - but then they can spend half the evening developing their romantic backstory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
I would think that the board games that would be easiest to do this with are the games that have RPG systems ready to go for them. For example, play a certain number of rounds in Star Wars: Imperial Assault, then zoom in with Star Wars: Edge of the Empire (or something similar). Transitioning between the two wouldn't be that hard.
In that particular case, it's intentionally harder than it needs be. FFG specifically has endeavored to make the ratings not intercompatible between the lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had a couple of games of Star Wars: Rebellion, in both games the Rebel base was on Nal Hutta. In one game Nal Hutta was destroyed by The Empire.

So based off events of that game I've planned a new Star Wars campaign.
In this version of the Star Wars universe the Rebel Base was not on Yavin IV, it was on the Hutt homeworld of Nal Hutta. The Empire followed the Millennium Falcon to the Rebel Base, and the DEATH STAR destroyed the Hutt homeworld, ending the Rebellion!

However, the Hutts have now joined their Clans and and are about to show the Empire why they have been the true rulers of the galaxy for thousands of years. Combing pirate fleets as well as their own hidden armada the Hutts have declared war on The Empire.

Once we begin we'll have to answer a few questions;

- Did Luke manage to escape?
- Did Leia escape? Unlikely.
- If Luke escaped then that means that R2-D2 probably did and still has the Death Star plans.
- Is there any other way R2-D2 could have escaped without Luke?
- Is the Rebellion gone?
- What systems would join with the Hutts?
- What systems could become targets of the DEATH STAR ?
- What role would the PCs have in all of this?
- Where is Han Solo? He left before the DEATH STAR arrived. Do the Hutts hold him responsible?

Looking forward to running this, hopefully it will be later this year. I'll be using the Star Wars (WEG Original Edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
Several, actually...

Battletech/Mechwarrior: Games on each of several levels:
Succession Wars: the grand scale, moving regiments.
Battleforce 2: The invasion scale and the supertactical scale
Battlespace: space combat
Battletech: the tactical scale for vehicles.
Battletroops: a tighter focused tactical scale for infantry actions
Mechwarrior/A Time of War: RPG
The original Mercenary's Handbook also included an abstraction layer for running merc units, and a resolution for unit-to-unit combat as a pen and paper sim

Renegade Legion was getting the same treatment
Leviathan: capital ships
Interceptor: fighters & patrols
Centurion: ground combat (with rules for fighter/patrol interactions)
Legionnaire: RPG

Traveller... iteself an RPG
Fifth Frontier War: War between the Zhodani Consulate and the 3I
Invasion Earth: Imperium capturing earth in the Solomani Rim War - rules can be (and are intended to be) repurposed for planetary invasions anywhen in the OTU.
AHL & Striker: alternate combat system; also scale up to (respectively) shipboard boarding actions and company to regiment size ground combat

Rolemaster...
War Law boxed set for mass combat

Spacemaster:
two boxed games; one for ships, one for ground combat

AD&D 2E:
Birthright setting includes a month-turn holdings system.
Battlesystem allows mass combats in AD&D.
One could use The Great Khan Game for a FR based campaign's overarching setting changes... not great for generating battles for battlesystem... but workable for generating a war arc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.