Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I did sign up for this after all, practically at the last minute. Who else from here is on there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
Sometimes, you just have to roll it.
badge
Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?
mbmbmbmbmb
Azukail wrote:
So, I did sign up for this after all, practically at the last minute. Who else from here is on there?

What is this? I haven't heard of it before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
This: https://www.rpgwriterworkshop.com/courses/rpg-writer-worksho...

It was mentioned on here and I signed up. There's a free option as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm taking it.

I'm mostly interested in the stuff in weeks 3 and 4. I have plenty of games I've made - I just want them to look nicer so I can offer them up DriveThru for people to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I signed up at the last minute as well. They had a free track, so I figured, why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
I just found out Canada isn’t real Turns out it was all mapleleaf.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto. Free version. Not sure I will have the time to fully enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
I'm taking it.

I'm mostly interested in the stuff in weeks 3 and 4. I have plenty of games I've made - I just want them to look nicer so I can offer them up DriveThru for people to play.

Although I've written a lot of stuff, I haven't written much in the way of actual adventures. Hopefully won't have a time problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azukail wrote:
This: https://www.rpgwriterworkshop.com/courses/rpg-writer-worksho...

It was mentioned on here and I signed up. There's a free option as well.

Thanks! Just signed up... it's relatively inexpensive, so did the paid option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in the reviews of the course when it is done. It seems pretty much just focused on modules. While it says the lessons are applicable to any RPG, it seems focused on 5E. I am interested as to if that is true.

I am more interested in the marketing workshop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
SteamCraft wrote:
I would be interested in the reviews of the course when it is done. It seems pretty much just focused on modules. While it says the lessons are applicable to any RPG, it seems focused on 5E. I am interested as to if that is true.

I'm pretty sure part of that is because the DM Guild is funding part of it this time around.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to bother to make something for 5E vs. work on my own games.

But I'll definitely provide a review at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
SteamCraft wrote:

I'm pretty sure part of that is because the DM Guild is funding part of it this time around.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to bother to make something for 5E vs. work on my own games.

But I'll definitely provide a review at the end.

Same thing here. From perusing the curriculum, it doesn't seem like they're going to try to force you into any one thing, even though they're focused on more of a story/scenario/module than a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in, and probably I'm spending too much time on the Discord server. Right now the class is dealing with preparation, and I've been sharing synopses of what I'm going to write that keep getting shot down by my peers with good reason. I am on m third draft of the symposia and discovered a huge enough problem with it (well, actually set of problems). The deadline to finish is such that I really need to get on the mall here. I have to decide, once and for all, what I'm going to write.

In spite of the self-imposed pressure, I am loving this and loving the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
I struggle with Discord. Not in the same way as Facebook (hate it) or Twitter (which bores me). Instead, I find it impossible to keep up with things without spending all my time there. It seems I drop into a channel to find hundreds of new messages I can't keep up with. How the heck does anyone cope? I do prefer forums, where all the conversations are neatly stored in their own topics and far easier to keep track of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That discord is fun! Hard to keep up with though, especially during my actual job...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Azukail wrote:
It seems I drop into a channel to find hundreds of new messages I can't keep up with. How the heck does anyone cope?

I know how you feel. I have to turn off notifications if I want any work done. And, I'm not afraid to Right Click | Server mute if I have to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
I'm in, and probably I'm spending too much time on the Discord server.

Do you need a "buddy" to chase you off? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
The discord does move fast. It's even worse since they split and added lots more channels.

The best practice I find it to look at each channel you are interested in and look at the last half-dozen posts. If there's something good being discussed then scroll back up, maybe as far as the red line - there'll be a read line to show where you last read up to - and go from there. If nothing catches your eye then assume everything else above is not worthy of being read. You can always go back to it later if you want to.

While the workshop is quite D&D centric that is mainly because it is the/one of the biggest games out there that promotes user-content. Why wouldn't they use it as an example? If you were doing generic computer based tutorials you'd probably use Windows or MacOS as a base, unless it was specifically for something like Linux.

However, having been part of the last workshop I can safely say that everything in the workshop is generic in so far as while they may use D&D as examples the premise and work-style can be utilised across the board in any game system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just use discord as I can and keep up as I can. I was in the preparation thread for a while, but lost my place and haven't gone back yet.

We could post some tidbits here to discuss in a more 'static' environment.

For example, it was interesting to me to see what tools people are planning on using.

Myself, I use Notion to organize my notes, and then Sublime Text to write in Markdown and my Keybase git repo for versioning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Bifford wrote:
While the workshop is quite D&D centric that is mainly because it is the/one of the biggest games out there that promotes user-content. Why wouldn't they use it as an example? If you were doing generic computer based tutorials you'd probably use Windows or MacOS as a base, unless it was specifically for something like Linux.

There are a lot of trappings with D&D that are not in other games. Class/level, alignment, combat focused, gods, and a general approach to playing. Trying to play a CoC style adventure in D&D just is not going to work very well. On the other hand, Word will work the same in Windows or Mac.

This is not to say that this workshops advice might not be generic enough or that using D&D is a bad example. For a large workshop, having something most people know like D&D is likely a good thing for newbs. It could just be that it is generic and you get a good adventure, it just isn't one that would work well with D&D.

So I will wait to see what the overall feedback is when things are complete as to how much of it transcends into other games and non-module content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckdee68 wrote:
For example, it was interesting to me to see what tools people are planning on using.

Myself, I use Notion to organize my notes, and then Sublime Text to write in Markdown and my Keybase git repo for versioning.

I'm really high-tech! I use pen and paper for jotting notes down, then Notepad for the actual writing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azukail wrote:
chuckdee68 wrote:

I'm really high-tech! I use pen and paper for jotting notes down, then Notepad for the actual writing.

I always start with pen & paper, and then move to LibreOffice or Google Docs, depending on what computer I'm at (home or work, respectively).

Final layout I'll do in InDesign (since I own CS4), but I'm open to learning other programs if they do what I want better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be writing up my efforts on my blog- if you want to follow along, feel free! And if I don't update (as you can see by my last attempt at doing the A to Z challenge, it's a real possibility), feel free to poke me!

https://write.as/chuckdee/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
I transfer into Word from Notepad (really should use Notepad++ instead) once complete for Word's spell/grammar check, then back into Notepad then into InDesign for layout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
I signed up because YOU guys signed up and I can't resist groupthink
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.