Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
I signed up because YOU guys signed up and I can't resist groupthink

Well, now I'm wishing I had known about this sooner. It appears registration has closed. Bah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are in the Portland, OR area and doing the workshop, I am hosting a meetup for participants this Saturday (July 13th) at noon at the Sizzle Pie in the Central Eastside (624 E Burnside St., Portland, OR 97214 if you're programming a GPS to find the place).

This will be an opportunity to socialize with fellow adventure writers, encourage each other in our work in the class, and generally have a good time (and eat some pretty good pizza too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
ldpaulson wrote:
ctimmins wrote:
I signed up because YOU guys signed up and I can't resist groupthink

Well, now I'm wishing I had known about this sooner. It appears registration has closed. Bah!

Join the Discord, and message @Ashley Warren#7279 - she can unlock it for you to sign up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I... still haven't quite chosen what my final piece will for the workshop will be. But, I'm intrigued that the DMs guild can use adventures with Beholders! I have a Beholder scenario I've been dying to write up, but probably not right now, since so much has been going on. I'm just going to pick something I've already written and want to polish more.

I've finally finished the freelance work I got (through the workshop, I might add, which is awesome - as the workshop has already paid for itself!) So now I can go back to writing!

I'm only slightly behind on the workshop, but I'll likely catch up tomorrow. I have generally been finishing shortly after each lesson is posted (except for what was released this weekend).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
Sometimes, you just have to roll it.
badge
Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm behind also, but only by a lesson now it seems. I went through two lessons, a pep talk exercise, and a check in today. Hopefully, I'll do the other tomorrow, and be reasonably caught up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite a bit behind currently. It probably didn't help (as well as the hayfever) that I didn't really get anything from moodboards, playlists and mindmaps. Mindmaps just didn't seem to work with how I was thinking about adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I only do mindmaps when I'm mapping out the world and creating places where action happens. I don't use it for setting the tone of any of that.

I don't really outline, I just dive in and write. I know where the adventure/game is going, and an outline would just take time away from writing that. But I can hold pretty complex stories in my head...

After I move my desk at work (this should be the final time) I might be able to catch up with the environment and NPC worksheets. Not that I need to do them, since I know how to build environments and NPCs, but I might as well run through the activities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Azukail wrote:
I'm quite a bit behind currently. It probably didn't help (as well as the hayfever) that I didn't really get anything from moodboards, playlists and mindmaps. Mindmaps just didn't seem to work with how I was thinking about adventures.

Not that I am part of the workshop, but when people mention things like this, it reminds me of an introductory writers conference. Some of them are really just designed to motivate people and get them writing. It is really about getting someone to do it and providing them with support. It is not about actually helping them to write other than getting them to begin writing in the first place.

Jim Butcher did an interview many years ago. He said something like we was working on his Master's Degree at the University of Oklahoma. He was trying to write Dresden for class. Anyway, the instructor just explained why he writing was bad and why he was making it very hard on himself. She gave him a simple formula for how to write the book. He just used that formula.

Not that adventure writing is the same as a novel, but for me, something like Butcher seems helpful. Spending time motivating and brainstorming through creative projects wouldn't be.

I hope there is much more going on that people just have not mentioned yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of what they're going over are steps that don't fit within my normal workflow. But I've been trying to keep an open mind so that maybe I can take away some modifications to my own process to make it a bit better. I am using Scapple to mind map and Gingko to outline. I've had both of them for a while, but have never been able to force myself to really use them. Now that I have, I realize that both apps are a lot better than I'd even thought for the process, especially Gingko.

I'm hoping to discover more revelations like that.

SteamCraft wrote:

I hope there is much more going on that people just have not mentioned yet.

I'm basically journalling the process on my blog as I go through it, so you can see pretty much the whole of the course laid out lesson by lesson as I go through it. So far, it's all been related to setting up the basics- I'm currently on lesson 3, 1 or 2 lessons behind. It appears that this second week is preparing to get into the meat of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about halfway through my module. I've already mapped out most of the story, so I just need to get that down on paper. After that, I need stats. I only need three stat blocks (boss, main grunts, spirits that appear at the climax), but that's going to be hard in D&D5e (Not because writing up things in D&D5e is inherently hard, but because it is a process I am unfamiliar with). I still have time to change to a different system, but I'm planning to publish soon and publishing for a system like OpemnQuest where it is very easy to build monster blocks might well be commercial suicide.

I set a deadline for myself of the end of the week, which it looks like I will have to prolong possibly until Monday. That's because I have quite a lot mapped out Friday and Saturday (Saturday is my umpteenth birthday), including a back procedure Friday, so I might not get much done in those days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm halfway through the InDesign learning video provided. I'm pleasantly surprised with how much of the first half I either knew or figured out on my own. Still, there are a few new tricks I picked up. I'm hoping the second half of the video will teach me more (the video is two hours and twenty-four minutes long - and I only had an hour and twelve minutes to spare for it this weekend.)

Otherwise, there is a lot in the workshop that I already knew. Definitely for beginners rather than people who already know quite a bit about making adventures.

I never realized how pretentious D&D is either, but seeing this phrase on so many covers: "the greatest RPG system in the world." I find that I would not ever put that phrase on a cover of an adventure I create! I like D&D, but I don't like it enough to call it the "greatest" nor the implied insult all other RPGs (those aren't the greatest).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really fallen off as of late, so know I'm behind. Has there been any indication of how long you can take to do the course?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think even after the course is over you can download all the lessons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

I never realized how pretentious D&D is either, but seeing this phrase on so many covers: "the greatest RPG system in the world." I find that I would not ever put that phrase on a cover of an adventure I create! I like D&D, but I don't like it enough to call it the "greatest" nor the implied insult all other RPGs (those aren't the greatest).

Totally +1 this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckdee68 wrote:
I've really fallen off as of late, so know I'm behind. Has there been any indication of how long you can take to do the course?

The fall workshop was available until the end of January, so I would say this one will be open until end September, maybe October? But yes, once the course has finished it is available as a download.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received an answer on the discord:

Quote:

Just through mid-August :slight_smile: You will receive a downloadable file at the end of the month that contains all of the course content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.