The Nine Worlds
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
The Tower of Tharikthiril
Rad-Hack
The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game
Tales from the Loop
Dungeon Master's Screen, Reincarnated
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Courts of Stone
No Rest for the Wicked
Mutant: Elysium Map of Elysium I
Dungeon Master's Screen: Of Ships and the Sea
Imperious Rex! Realms of the Deep
Th' Dinky Dungeons Tome of Knowledge
2CGazette (Issue 33 - Jul 2018)
2CGazette (Issue 36 - Sep 2018)
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
It is okay if you don’t know what “prefix” means. It’s not the end of the word.
mbmbmbmbmb
I never got into the Manga books.

As for anime, I grew up on some of it:
Speed Racer
Science Ninja Team Gatchaman (when it later came to US as Battle of the Planets)

Space Battleship Yamato (as Star Blazers)

I was blown away by Akira when it came out.

Later, I enjoyed Rurouni Kenshin and fell in love with Cowboy Bebop:

I tried to watch a few other anime shows, but I could never get into them, even the ones my anime-loving friends recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't watch Manga anymore, haven't for years. This is much to my daughter's chagrin. She likes to read, translate, write, and draw the stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy
France
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I think my exposure to anime and manga came in two waves:
- First, runs of Dragon Ball, Captain Harlock and City Hunter on the national network. All of these were censored, especially City Hunter. I've even bought the first 20 tomes of Dragon Ball, week by week, with the pocket money my mother gave me (that's were I've discovered that the anime was pretty much censored ^^"). They're still there somewhere in my parent's house, I've been told that these first runs, with the left-to-right reading are quite valuable

- Then, one fateful night, I've watched the "Ghost in the Shell" movie with my father on TV (I was pretty young but still, the things I got away with my father ). It triggered my exposure to anime such at the Myazaki ones (My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki, Porco Rosso (with Jean Reno in the French dub !), Spirited Away…), Grave of the Fireflies (this one came without adequate warnings, it quite shocked us with my sister), Cowboy Bebop, Armitage the Third, Memories…

But, to be fair, the biggest influence is Ghost in the Shell for cyberpunk. I've been pretty much locked in the 90's / early 2000 for anime / manga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My anime suggestions:

Future Boy Conan
Was watching these when I was like 4-5... funny enough Myazaki signature is all over it. It's water world done right...

Then there was Ulysses 31

Bubblegum crisis
Gasaraki
Escaflowne
Vampire hunter D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much. I did watch the (English) One Piece series when it was newish, and quite enjoyed it. And I watched all of the first several seasons of Pokémon, if that counts. Both 'cause kids were watching them, though I ended up more interested in One Piece than the kids

I've read some, watched some, but it's essentially incidental.

I've entered a lot of games/items here on RPGG that are based on Anime/Manga, however. Lots of 'em... big chunks of the stuff in -

Adeptus Evangelion
Pokémon Tabletop United
Bleach D20 Classless System
「BIZARRE ADVENTURES」 - The Super Stand Sunday RPG
Digimon: Digital Adventures
Dragon Ball Z D10 Role-Playing Game
JumpChain!
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - The RPG
One Piece Role Playing Game
One Piece: The Role Playing Game
One Piece: Age of Pirates
Pokémon Journeys
Pokémon Pen and Paper
and of course
Pokémon Tabletop Adventures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D.
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Akira and Megazone 23, Robotech(later I discovered Macross and really loved that) I enjoyed Urusei Yatsura (Lum) but in high school a good friend showed me Ranma 1/2 and it became my absolute favorite. Years later when my friend came out as transgender I know they were trying to tell me something I couldn't wrap my head around when I was 15...we live and we learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Anime: Limited, but yes. Favorites are Robotech (which barely qualifies), Harlock, Emeraldas, Star Blazers, Urusei Yatsura.

Manga: not really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much (I find most just go on too long), and very rarely (an NPC description of mannerisms mostly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, yes and no.

Fun to watch and read. I've never needed to use them for inspiration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
Been musing on this some today, and have realized that there are a fair number I do, in fact, enjoy. Animes, at least. Manga remains entirely unexplored for me. But I was a big Digimon fan for years, and one of my favorite films is Final Fantasy: Advent Children (with the caveat that it only has emotional heft if you've played the corresponding game). And this is in addition to various films that are - if nothing else - strikingly beautiful (the animation in some is just breathtaking). To that end, I've borrowed some story beats from Digimon, so yes, it has been an RPG influence, albeit a small one.

I've never considered myself an "anime fan," though. It remains a fringe interest, but I amend my earlier response at least slightly.

rebuscarnival wrote:
For me Manga and Anime are mostly aesthetic categories.

This is an interesting distinction, and imo makes sense. It's why citing them as influences (as genres) is somewhat odd to me. They're more broad than other genre classifications like sci-fi or Western in terms of the type of content you can expect. "Sci-fi anime" or "Superhero manga" are their own sub-genres that are probably more closely aligned with how we define genre scope.

Try playing or watching a group play Maid rpg. Then, it will be clear that anime is a genre unto itself. You never see much of what is covered in that game outside of anime but all of it is anime tropes.

Never seen a western sci-fi movie, game, or graphic novel take the point of view of a servant in space wielding giant weapons under there clothes fighting demon Spawn between a coworker insult and serving the master tea.

What genre would this story fit into? And, yet there is a place for it in Japanese anime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watch/read a fair bit (mostly lightweight comedies and unusual dramas), but haven't consciously cribbed from any for gaming. I'm sure plenty of tropes have subconsciously drifted into my games though

Inkwan wrote:
Try playing or watching a group play Maid rpg. Then, it will be clear that anime is a genre unto itself. You never see much of what is covered in that game outside of anime but all of it is anime tropes.

Never seen a western sci-fi movie, game, or graphic novel take the point of view of a servant in space wielding giant weapons under there clothes fighting demon Spawn between a coworker insult and serving the master tea.

What genre would this story fit into? And, yet there is a place for it in Japanese anime.

Anime has it's own genres. The things you describe are quite popular in the "romantic comedy harem" genre, but you wont see them in military/political drama like Mobile Suit Gundam, sports anime like Eyeshield 21, or horror anime like Junji Ito Collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I recently (last 1-2 years) have gotten really into anime and manga, various genres, but a lot of slice of life/romance (don't judge!).

As a result, I am actually GMing a session of Oddity High (beta rules):

Oddity High is a Powered by the Apocalypse RPG from a recent Kickstarter. I was a backer, so I have the beta rules, not sure when the final rules will get published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
Sometimes, you just have to roll it.
badge
Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite the same thing, as people seem more focused on Japanese examples of the art, but I've played a few manhua inspired games. For a while, I loved and collected them - a large majority by Jademan - and played a long-running campaign in GURPS and a shorter one in Weapons of the Gods.

On the Manga/Anime front, I've run in an Appleseed campaign and a Bubblegum Crisis campaign (both in Fuzion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
egg_salad wrote:
Hmm, I recently (last 1-2 years) have gotten really into anime and manga, various genres, but a lot of slice of life/romance (don't judge!).

As a result, I am actually GMing a session of Oddity High (beta rules):

Oddity High is a Powered by the Apocalypse RPG from a recent Kickstarter. I was a backer, so I have the beta rules, not sure when the final rules will get published.

Interesting. Can you tell us anything about it?

It sounds a little like Monsterhearts but influenced by Haruhi Suzumiya rather than Buffy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Long ago, I kept having people recommend BESM (2nd Edition Revised) to me and kept resisting on the grounds that "I don't like anime". Decided to try it. Posted some stuff about my game on the Guardians of Order website. Was asked "How do you NOT like anime and run a game that's so TOTALLY anime?"

Not familiar with things generally considered "anime" overall; I could probably list everything I've seen...

Robotech. Was amazing as a kid. I got up early in the morning to be able to watch it. Revisiting it was...painful.

Hayao Miyazaki's movies. These are amazing and fun. Several would make my 'favorite movies of all time' list.

Escaflowne - haven't seen this in a while. Pretty interesting, some unusual takes on things.

And some Western Animation that is very anime-ish...

Avatar (both series) - have held up reasonably well. Fun stuff, a very creative world, some neat characters.

RWBY - I love this series in so many ways.

The only manga I've read was a RWBY manga, and it wasn't very good; first, just not very interesting 'stories', and the action was confusing to follow. Didn't translate well from the show to a more static medium.

I'm sure I've pulled ideas from these at various times. I've run one little game set in the RWBY world, though I'm not sure it worked all that well. Hard to capture that kind of action in game mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PandoraCaitiff wrote:
I watch/read a fair bit (mostly lightweight comedies and unusual dramas), but haven't consciously cribbed from any for gaming. I'm sure plenty of tropes have subconsciously drifted into my games though

Inkwan wrote:

Anime has it's own genres. The things you describe are quite popular in the "romantic comedy harem" genre, but you wont see them in military/political drama like Mobile Suit Gundam, sports anime like Eyeshield 21, or horror anime like Junji Ito Collection.

While you are correct, I believe this comment misses the point. The question I had posed is does anyone on here use manga / anime of any subgenre of as inspiration for their games?

I asked because while I have tried this, it has not worked that well for me yet. I tried to run a game based loosely on Gargantua on the Verdurous Planet using Tiny Mecha and Monsters. As that game only has mechanics for fighting in mechas, it did not work well.

I would love to play a Avatar (Last airbender), East of Eden, or Kuromukuro, or others but I really don't know where to start.

Issues I have with running anime:
A Some of the plots are fairly complex but I also hate to railroad players.
B Virtually every mecha system focuses only on combat (No thanks, Robotech, Battletech, etc.)
C Generic systems feel too generic. e.g. BESM 2nd ed. is very flexible but barely a game in there from my point of view. The anime focused powers gives it flavor but otherwise, mechanically this game could be anything (bleh).

Maybe I could take a look back at Mekton Zeta??

As for Avatar, I could imagine trying to run a game of Dungeon World using Inverse World and Sorcerer playbooks or the PbtA game specifically built for this but plot-wise, where would I start? This is also a problem with running Star Wars sometimes. Where do you start if not for starting with the Rebellion fighting?

As for East of Eden, I don't know of a system that could handle this although I am sure something could be tweaked.

Kuromukuro is mechs fighting an alien invasion but also kids in a futuristic military school. What system could be used for this?

Meanwhile, I would also like advice on how to push / what to push from anime tropes into other rpgs as I think most of my rpg friends would find this a fresh take. If it is overdone though, it could leave a sort of bait and switch type of feel. I don't want the response, "Hey, we are playing D&D not some random anime game..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:

If you're willing to look at Mekton Zeta, you might look at Bubblegum Crisis. R. Tal also did Armored Trooper Votoms and Dragonball Z, but both of those were pretty combat heavy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckdee68 wrote:
Inkwan wrote:

If you're willing to look at Mekton Zeta, you might look at Bubblegum Crisis. R. Tal also did Armored Trooper Votoms and Dragonball Z, but both of those were pretty combat heavy.

When you add Mekton Zeta Plus, Mekton Zeta becomes darned near universal.

My preferred Anime game is Teenagers from Outer Space (1st, 2nd & 3rd Editions) and its sequel Star Riders...

but for mecha, MZ is the one I've gotten to play. I want to try running Jovian Chronicles, but lack a suitable player base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:

but for mecha, MZ is the one I've gotten to play. I want to try running Jovian Chronicles, but lack a suitable player base.

I like JC, but HG appeals to me more for some reason. Maybe because of that old Activision game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not really into anime, though I can watch some with pleasure.

The only two that scratch an itch in me are Code Geas because of the subtle plotting and characterization, and another (cannot get name) where everyone is a reincarnation of a member of an ancient leadership group ; they betrayed each other in their previous lives, and now they are in the same high school...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Lettieri
Italy
Pomezia
flag msg tools
LL
badge
Magnus
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:

I would love to play a Avatar (Last airbender), East of Eden, or Kuromukuro, or others but I really don't know where to start.

For Avatar the Last Airbender, you could have a look at a PbtA game which is Avatar with the serial numbers filed off:

Legend of the Elements

Personally I dislike PbtA but if you don't mind it, this could be a good starting point.

For "Mecha and not just combat", you can try Lancer. The KickStarter has completed a couple months ago and the book is not out yet, but the (complete) preview is still available for free:

https://massif-press.itch.io/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Bliss Stage (Ignition & Interim Stages) still available somewhere? It's not quite Evangelion, but it nails the "emotionally unstable child mecha pilots and their substance-abusing adult commander" vibe.

WARNING: The game does mechanically reward characters having sex. I know some of you find that icky or inappropriate for tabletop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No and No. But when Jackie Chan Adventures was being broadcasted I suggest to parents to steal from it for their kids games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasperrdm wrote:
No and No. But when Jackie Chan Adventures was being broadcasted I suggest to parents to steal from it for their kids games.

I loved that show so much I shifted my work schedule a half an hour to watch it before work back then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lu.le. wrote:
Inkwan wrote:

For Avatar the Last Airbender, you could have a look at a PbtA game which is Avatar with the serial numbers filed off:

Legend of the Elements

Personally I dislike PbtA but if you don't mind it, this could be a good starting point.

For "Mecha and not just combat", you can try Lancer. The KickStarter has completed a couple months ago and the book is not out yet, but the (complete) preview is still available for free:

https://massif-press.itch.io/

The only obstacle for Legends of the Elements is finding someone that will play. I love PbtA (at least in theory). The execution varies.

I had never heard of Lancer but I am definitely going to download the best version.

[edit] Holy crap! That is a HUGE rulebook!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.