The Nine Worlds
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
The Tower of Tharikthiril
Rad-Hack
The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game
Tales from the Loop
Dungeon Master's Screen, Reincarnated
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Courts of Stone
No Rest for the Wicked
Mutant: Elysium Map of Elysium I
Dungeon Master's Screen: Of Ships and the Sea
Imperious Rex! Realms of the Deep
Th' Dinky Dungeons Tome of Knowledge
2CGazette (Issue 33 - Jul 2018)
2CGazette (Issue 36 - Sep 2018)
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely watch anime - though these days a lot less than I used to - which is more of a time problem. I'm currently enjoying Dragon Prince.

I read (and own) a lot of manga in translation, I've never learned how to read Japanese or Korean.

There are some character types that appear in anime and manga that I enjoy and don't see much of in other mediums. There is a certain mix of powerful and fragile characters that are wonderfully portrayed with a nuanced complexity and depth that is lacking in some western cartoons - though modern comics are getting better about this.

So it's not surprising that yes, I've used them for RPG inspiration. It works well in games that already support manga - such as using minor characters from Miyazaki films as a basis for a character in Yuuyake Koyake, or using the manga Dahlia and maid character from Chobits for ideas of how to play my vampiric maid in Maid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PandoraCaitiff wrote:
egg_salad wrote:
Hmm, I recently (last 1-2 years) have gotten really into anime and manga, various genres, but a lot of slice of life/romance (don't judge!).

As a result, I am actually GMing a session of Oddity High (beta rules):

Oddity High is a Powered by the Apocalypse RPG from a recent Kickstarter. I was a backer, so I have the beta rules, not sure when the final rules will get published.

Interesting. Can you tell us anything about it?

It sounds a little like Monsterhearts but influenced by Haruhi Suzumiya rather than Buffy.

Definitely a Haruhi Suzumiya vibe going on. I've never played Monsterhearts, but I've played other PbtA, so I can't really say how similar to Monsterhearts it is.

So far, my players and I really like the playbooks -- usually a character is a 2 playbook combo, which leads to some fun choices. There is a mechanic for obligation, which intrigues me a lot, but I have had trouble implementing during play. It is still rough around the edges, especially as the stats and moves don't seem to work for us. To be fair, it is still a beta release. We are already past to supposed publication date of the KS by a ways, so that concerns me as well, but at least I got some beta rules out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
egg_salad wrote:
PandoraCaitiff wrote:
egg_salad wrote:
Hmm, I recently (last 1-2 years) have gotten really into anime and manga, various genres, but a lot of slice of life/romance (don't judge!).

As a result, I am actually GMing a session of Oddity High (beta rules):

Oddity High is a Powered by the Apocalypse RPG from a recent Kickstarter. I was a backer, so I have the beta rules, not sure when the final rules will get published.

Interesting. Can you tell us anything about it?

It sounds a little like Monsterhearts but influenced by Haruhi Suzumiya rather than Buffy.

Definitely a Haruhi Suzumiya vibe going on. I've never played Monsterhearts, but I've played other PbtA, so I can't really say how similar to Monsterhearts it is.

So far, my players and I really like the playbooks -- usually a character is a 2 playbook combo, which leads to some fun choices. There is a mechanic for obligation, which intrigues me a lot, but I have had trouble implementing during play. It is still rough around the edges, especially as the stats and moves don't seem to work for us. To be fair, it is still a beta release. We are already past to supposed publication date of the KS by a ways, so that concerns me as well, but at least I got some beta rules out of it.

Oooh. I really like a simplified dual playbook idea...I am going to steal that for something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Anderson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm old enough that when I was a kid, the only anime on American television was Robotech and Star Blazers. I watched and enjoyed those at the time, but have only vague memories of them now. Still think that giant cannon on the front of the ship in Star Blazers is pretty cool .

Never really used them for RPG inspiration, except that once in our space opera game, I described the enemy ship's attack as a "full Robotech missile barrage!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Karkared wrote:
and another (cannot get name) where everyone is a reincarnation of a member of an ancient leadership group ; they betrayed each other in their previous lives, and now they are in the same high school...

Ikki Tousen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Volfield wrote:
Karkared wrote:
and another (cannot get name) where everyone is a reincarnation of a member of an ancient leadership group ; they betrayed each other in their previous lives, and now they are in the same high school...

Ikki Tousen?

It has the same vibe to it, but I thought I remembered different names and not sure there were any magical abilities. Thanks anyway, that may help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.