The Nine Worlds
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
The Tower of Tharikthiril
Rad-Hack
The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game
Tales from the Loop
Dungeon Master's Screen, Reincarnated
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Courts of Stone
No Rest for the Wicked
Mutant: Elysium Map of Elysium I
Dungeon Master's Screen: Of Ships and the Sea
Imperious Rex! Realms of the Deep
Th' Dinky Dungeons Tome of Knowledge
2CGazette (Issue 33 - Jul 2018)
2CGazette (Issue 36 - Sep 2018)
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
It is okay if you don’t know what “prefix” means. It’s not the end of the word.
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the strangest drink you have tried? Did it serve as an inspriation for a drink in your RPG?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Daumen
United States
The Triangle
flag msg tools
designer
(Tennessee and Wisconsin in between)
badge
I think you should realize these wings are really hot
mbmbmbmbmb
In an Ars Magica campaign set in central Europe, we talked about and imbibed Bulls' Blood wine from Hungary.

Thanks (?) to KARTAS, I have suffered through several glasses of Jepsen's Mallort too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Slivovitz is pretty intense.

Other then that one, nothing else comes to mind.

Montreal is an international platform, and all manners of strange drinks, legal or not, transit regularly through our city. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmb
I had a Ghost Pepper Margarita once that was soo yummy, but soo damned hot, I started seeing into the 8th dimension....I called it the "John Whorfin"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3rik de πrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of these are considered particularly strange in Mexico and they all taste delicious but I'm sure there's people unfamiliar with them who would be reluctant to give them a try:

cafe de olla
coffee from a ceramic pot brought to taste with cinnamon and piloncillo

agua de jamaica
a cold infusion of hybiscus leaves, optionally sweetened with sugar

horchata de arroz
sweetened rice drink with Canella or cinammon and sometimes vanilla

atole (comes in different flavours)
a drink made of corn hominy flour, often brought to taste with things like piloncillo, vanilla, cinammon

A bit more of an acquired taste and exotic but also fairly common in Mexico:

pulque (comes in different flavours)
alcoholic beverage made of fermented agava juice

tejate (typical of Oaxaca)
cold non-alcoholic beverage containing toasted maize, fermented cacao beans, toasted mamey pits and flor de cacao, sometimes slightly sweetened with sugar syrup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
Atholl brose (whisky with uncooked oats). That's strange enough on its own, but the woman who gave me some was an herbalist and had included some herbs which gave it a medicinal taste.

Breakfast of champions!

No, I don't think I've ever served Atholl brose in an RPG. Maybe I should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
We made a punch once at camp for a "carnivore snack". It was called "Beef Fizz". We had found it in a recipe book from 7-Up. The key ingredients were 7-Up (no surprise), lemon juice, and beef broth. I think we floated slices of lemon and limes on the top too.

It was served cold and was pretty gross. It never made it to any of my RPGs, but maybe Pugmire -- wouldn't dogs like a beef drink?

On the flip side, before I met her my wife read about beef fizz on my website and it's what made her stick around, become a stalker, and ultimately date then marry me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
I succumbed to peer pressure and bought OverText, then couldn't think of anything clever to say.
badge
Keep going, you'll find no words of sage advice or solace here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a shooter which was called “Gorilla Snot”.

I believe it was the Port and Bailey’s version of the recipe.

Tasted as good as it sounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
bobcatt wrote:

A name in search of a recipe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
I succumbed to peer pressure and bought OverText, then couldn't think of anything clever to say.
badge
Keep going, you'll find no words of sage advice or solace here.
mbmbmbmbmb
rebuscarnival wrote:
bobcatt wrote:

A name in search of a recipe...

It did not inspire any in-game beverages.
Discussions regarding drinks bearing the names Green Slime, Black Ooze, and Gelatinous Cube never resulted in liquid experimentation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Trudeau
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago, a friend from Finland flew in for a multi-day LAN party get-together our gaming clan was having and he brought some kind of alcoholic drink with him that he said was popular in Finland, so we all tried it. I don't remember what it was called, but it had a strong licorice taste (it wasn't Jagermeister) and looked like motor oil after 10,000 miles. It was utterly repulsive. Part of me still thinks he brought that stuff, or made it, to mess with us. He was known for being a bit of a prankster. Jerk...yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to introduce you to the.. delicacy? beauty? majesty? ...pure horror? that is Kogel Mogel (also known as Goggle Moggle or Google Moogle).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kogel_mogel

Strictly an Ashkenazi Jewish beverage, this is definitely an.. acquired taste, if by 'acquired taste' one means an increased resistance to slow, non-lethal, but oh-so-very real torture.

I have yet to inflict this foul drink on anyone in my games. The players haven't done anything nearly bad enough to deserve such an inhumane punishment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3rik de πrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bxrrr wrote:
Allow me to introduce you to the.. delicacy? beauty? majesty? ...pure horror? that is Kogel Mogel (also known as Goggle Moggle or Google Moogle).

Strictly an Ashkenazi Jewish beverage, this is definitely an.. acquired taste, if by 'acquired taste' one means an increased resistance to slow, non-lethal, but oh-so-very real torture.

I have yet to inflict this foul drink on anyone in my games. The players haven't done anything nearly bad enough to deserve such an inhumane punishment.

Similar to eggnog... Does that mean it's similar to Middle-American rompope or our Dutch advocaat? Because those are quite delicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drainpipe shots looks disgusting...
Getting drunk on absinthe is all worth it.

But if you include plant & mushroom concoctions then the sky is the limit:

Datura flower in water heated by the sunthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
3rik wrote:
bxrrr wrote:

Similar to eggnog... Does that mean it's similar to Middle-American rompope or our Dutch advocaat? Because those are quite delicious.

It might be (though, unlike Advocaat, it's not an alcoholic beverage).

It's usually given to young children as a remedy for sore throats. They can't really resist or put up a fight at those ages, you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hein Ragas
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
designer
[Insert witty message here]
badge
[Insert another witty message here]
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a toss-up between the can of Currywurst-flavoured energy drink and the can of Sauerkraut-saft.
Drinking those did change my life, but not in a good way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
It is okay if you don’t know what “prefix” means. It’s not the end of the word.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hein,

That reminds me of the smoked beer I had in Bamberg. It was like drinking bacon grease. Yuk. Or the Gluhbier I had in Weltenberg. Spice warm beir! Also yuk. But it came in a nice glass.

The Romanians insisted I try their palinka: apricot brandy -- not to my taste.

And the Slovenia's introduced me to their plum brandy, slivovitz -- also not to my taste.

While on a cruise, the cruise goers raved about the Mohitos, which I found did not live up to the hype.

In Alabama one year, I indulged in a Mint Julep. Which should also not be served anywhere anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about strange...

But Café Diablo was certainly the showiest...
fine brandy, Gran Marnier and Triplesec lit and poured over orange and lemon peels, then quenched with good coffee... all at the table.

Most unusual was a tea-mead. For the wort, I used strong earl grey tea instead of water... and champaign yeast. It tasted nothing like Earl grey, but damn, was it tasty!

And, the ratchet-wrench... make tang using vodka instead of water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Graewulf wrote:
Years ago, a friend from Finland flew in for a multi-day LAN party get-together our gaming clan was having and he brought some kind of alcoholic drink with him that he said was popular in Finland, so we all tried it. I don't remember what it was called, but it had a strong licorice taste (it wasn't Jagermeister) and looked like motor oil after 10,000 miles. It was utterly repulsive. Part of me still thinks he brought that stuff, or made it, to mess with us. He was known for being a bit of a prankster. Jerk...yuk

Maybe Salmiakki Koskenkorva - vodka with salmiakki liquorice disolved in it. I'm not much of a fan either. When I was in Finland for Worldcon there was even a bar doing a similar thing with Vodka and Fisherman's Friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J White
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tie:

Cement Mixer -- Take a shot of Bailey's, then (holding the Bailey's in your mouth) take a shot of lime juice. Swish them around in your mouth, which makes the cream curdle, resulting in something semi-solid. Swallow if you can.

Statue of Liberty Shot -- Dip your index finger into a shot of Rumple Minze and then light it. Hold that finger aloft, flaming, like the pose of the Statue of Liberty, while you take the shot. Only once you finish swallowing the shot may you extinguish the finger by popping it into your mouth.*

I guess now that I'm thinking about it, something like either of these could be incorporated into a bar scene in a game, with or without LARP elements. They'd probably get the players' attention very effectively, and could make an interesting way to establish character personality by reactions to them...

JJW-T.C.H.

* Yes, really. I'm not advocating this kind of behavior, and obviously you try it at your own risk, but yes I've done them and seen them done. It helps a lot if the Rumple Minze is very cold to start with (which I prefer anyway) because otherwise it's runny enough to drip down your finger and cause (more serious) burns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
My stomach is easily upset, so I rarely try anything that could be 'strange.'

I did introduce the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster into a Star Wars campaign with rules that would pretty much incapacitate anyone who drank it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Some people call this junk. Me, I call them treasures.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolthouse Farms' Green Goodness

"INGREDIENTS
Pineapple Juice From Concentrate (Water, Pineapple Juice Concentrate), Apple Juice From Concentrate (Water, Apple Juice Concentrate), Mango Puree From Concentrate (Water, Mango Puree Concentrate), Banana Puree, Kiwi Puree, Spirulina Powder, Natural Flavor, Green Tea Extract, Spinach Powder, Broccoli Powder, Barley Grass Powder, Wheat Grass Powder, Garlic Powder, Jerusalem Artichoke Powder, Nova Scotia Dulse Powder.
Contains Wheatgrass, Barley Grass."

It tastes rather unpleasant, but not completely overwhelmingly unpleasant. I think that if I'm ever in a situation as a game master where one of the players drinks a strange, unpleasant liquid I'll have this on hand if they want to immerse themselves in their character's experience. I'll warn them about the taste ahead of time and the drink is allegedly healthy, so it seems like an interesting idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
United States
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mohawk, a tobacco-based cocktail at (the now-closed) Lafitte in San Francisco. It was not my favorite. I have never based a drink in an RPG on it, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Trudeau
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Graewulf wrote:

Maybe Salmiakki Koskenkorva - vodka with salmiakki liquorice disolved in it. I'm not much of a fan either. When I was in Finland for Worldcon there was even a bar doing a similar thing with Vodka and Fisherman's Friends.

Aha! That must've been it. Horrible stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I once tried a European Whiskey that tasted like bacon. Not great. Don't recall ever inflicting this kind of thing on a PC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.