Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
Benevolentgamemaster wrote:
I once tried a European Whiskey that tasted like bacon. Not great. Don't recall ever inflicting this kind of thing on a PC.

Rogue Brewery has a Bacon Doughnut Beer. Blech!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benevolentgamemaster wrote:
I once tried a European Whiskey that tasted like bacon. Not great. Don't recall ever inflicting this kind of thing on a PC.

I sincerely hope that you are not criticizing the Laphroiag 10, young man. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan, "Son of Hett"
United States
The Triangle
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect the aforementioned Gorilla Snot or Cement Mixer concoction is the inspiration for an element in a module for the town of Sandpoint in Pathfinder; the Hagfish tavern has a tank of, well, hagfish at the bar, with a bag of collected coins hanging above it, and any patron who can drink and keep down a tankard of hagfish slime wins the purse.

I think the strangest drink I have had, not gross-strange but interesting-strange, is a Flaming Dr. Pepper: pour a glass of cheap (has to be cheap, crappy, American piss-water) beer, next to it pour a shot of 151 with a splash of Amaretto (I believe), set alight, drop into the glass of crappy beer, and chug. After a couple of swallows of crappy beer, it suddenly tastes exactly like Dr. Pepper. Have not used in an RPG; characters would not know who Cleric Pimento is anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
Went to the harry potter experience and tasted the 'butterbeer' gulp

The 'foam' of the beer is added to the top after and its just slimy, and the 'beer' itself is disgusting and its thick like a cough syrup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Cut-grass flavoured vodka. It really smelt like cut grass. It also tasted how I imagined cut grass might taste. I didn't finish my drink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
In Alabama one year, I indulged in a Mint Julep. Which should also not be served anywhere anymore.
I'm with you on that, Patrick. Their awfulness sneaks up on you, the first few sips you are like "hmmm, not bad", and then about halfway down you realize you have been suckered.

I'm fascinated by this thread, because I think there three clear trends in what people consider "strange" to be found in it:

* beverages that originate in a culture you are not a part of (e.g. Finnish licorice drinks)

* beverages consumed allegedly for pleasure but that are intended to have some medicinal effect, even if you are a part of that culture they come from (e.g. Kogel Mogel)

* mash-up beverages, often very recent inventions, that follow a kind of "if X is tasty, and Y is tasty, then X+Y MUST be tasty" formula (e.g. bacon doughnut beer?! ugh...)

One anecdote: at the Coca-Cola museum in Atlanta Georgia (at least when I visited there YEARS ago) they had a room with a bunch of those soda fountains you see at fast food restaurants where they had a selection of all kinds of products Coca-Cola makes world-wide but does not sell in the United States. It was a lot of fun trying all these things. The worst was a bitter apertif drink from Italy, I"m nearly certain it was Beverly (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_(drink)). It was awful. But there were some that I enjoyed a lot, and I think have since become popular in some variation, such as Guarana Brahma (https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guaran%C3%A1_Brahma).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Beverly. It's pretty awful. In the tasting room in Atlanta (after we all gagged on it) we much enjoyed watching the next few hapless victims gag on it as well. Once you realize it's grapefruit flavored, somehow it's not quite as disgusting. The Coca Cola World tasting event in Las Vegas pales in comparison to even the new tasting room in Atlanta - itself but a pale imitation of the old tasting room in Atlanta.

I tried ayahuasca (I guess, sort of). Made by a North American following a traditional recipe with standard ingredients (or so was claimed). I would describe the taste as a fairly bitter Mate - or in colloquial terms, something like warm-to-hot unsweetened lemonade tea mixed with dirt. Not pleasant. Large volume (something like a quart). However, did not induce vomiting. Or any other notable effect except a bad taste that lingered for many hours. Which was subsequently attributed to me being not in the right state of mind. This would have been ca. 1996, before the pop craze began.

I don't recall ever doing much with "special" drinks in RPGs... other than potions, of course. Recently ran CCC-3MAGS-ONE: Vormestrand's Scroll which is an adventure about brewing the perfect ale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Maybe Morning Glory Tea? Made me barf soap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
United States
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
exparrot wrote:
Went to the harry potter experience and tasted the 'butterbeer' gulp

The 'foam' of the beer is added to the top after and its just slimy, and the 'beer' itself is disgusting and its thick like a cough syrup.

Relatedly, some friends and I once made this Tudor buttered beere recipe. I would say it is a bit of an acquired taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
Worst drink? "Purple Haze" A locally brewed beer that I had in Lake Placid once at an otherwise fine establishment (Delta Blue - go on a live music night). It tasted like purple Kool-Aid mixed with a second rate light beer.

I've also had some really bad mojitos.

bxrrr wrote:
3rik wrote:
bxrrr wrote:
Allow me to introduce you to the.. delicacy? beauty? majesty? ...pure horror? that is Kogel Mogel (also known as Goggle Moggle or Google Moogle).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kogel_mogel

Strictly an Ashkenazi Jewish beverage, this is definitely an.. acquired taste, if by 'acquired taste' one means an increased resistance to slow, non-lethal, but oh-so-very real torture.

I have yet to inflict this foul drink on anyone in my games. The players haven't done anything nearly bad enough to deserve such an inhumane punishment.

Similar to eggnog... Does that mean it's similar to Middle-American rompope or our Dutch advocaat? Because those are quite delicious.

It might be (though, unlike Advocaat, it's not an alcoholic beverage).

It's usually given to young children as a remedy for sore throats. They can't really resist or put up a fight at those ages, you know.

I don't know, it sounds good to me.

It sounds like sort of a custard (short the milk) or eggnog.

Then again, I grew up drinking homemade milkshakes and eggnogs with raw eggs in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is coming!
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
Re: Beverly. It's pretty awful.

I've tricked multiple people (including both of my kids) into trying Beverly at Disney World. Great fun!

I've talked about this drink before. At Gen Con 2017, we were grabbing a quick drink at the JW lobby bar. I looked down the cocktail list and saw the Islay Daquiri (rum, lime, and Laphroaig). Cool, I like rum, lime, and Laphroaig. But good golly, not mixed together!

It was gross.

Yes, I finished it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm boring. Strangest drink I've probably ever had was a drink at a greek restaurant that was very much like thinner tzatziki sauce. Most of the people at the table took one sip of it; no one took a second sip.

I don't think we've ever notably discussed drinks in an RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
I once imported a bottle of vodka infused with bhut jolokia. It was undrinkable, and I like spicy food. Even putting it in a Bloody Mary (about 5:1 tomato juice:vodka), it was still so hot as to be a miserable experience.

Haven't put it into an RPG. TPKs are more merciful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
Re: Beverly. It's pretty awful. In the tasting room in Atlanta (after we all gagged on it) we much enjoyed watching the next few hapless victims gag on it as well. Once you realize it's grapefruit flavored, somehow it's not quite as disgusting.

Unless, like me, you also detest the taste of grapefruit.

I remember tasting that at Disney World. I finished my sample without a grimace but I'm never voluntarily drinking that again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmb
Emperors Grace wrote:
ctimmins wrote:
Re: Beverly. It's pretty awful. In the tasting room in Atlanta (after we all gagged on it) we much enjoyed watching the next few hapless victims gag on it as well. Once you realize it's grapefruit flavored, somehow it's not quite as disgusting.

Unless, like me, you also detest the taste of grapefruit.

I remember tasting that at Disney World. I finished my sample without a grimace but I'm never voluntarily drinking that again.
I will say that in context, the tasting room at Disney World/Coca-Cola museum is nearly perfect for ensuring Beverly gets the worst reception. Its mixed in with all these other drinks that are intended as refreshing, casual beverages. There was no "warning" text that I remember. The beverage is not being consumed for its intended purpose as an apertif, and is probably being consumed immediately after drinking a lot of sweet drinks.

I'm not saying its good, don't get me wrong. But if I were actually in Italy, waiting for a great meal to arrive with a bunch of Italians and having a great conversation, and drinking for the intended purpose of appetite stimulation, maybe it would be by some definition enjoyable? I can see it.

Of course, it looks like it is now discontinued but there are similar beverages, such as Crodino.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3rik de πrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperors Grace wrote:
Worst drink? "Purple Haze" A locally brewed beer that I had in Lake Placid once at an otherwise fine establishment (Delta Blue - go on a live music night). It tasted like purple Kool-Aid mixed with a second rate light beer.

bxrrr wrote:
3rik wrote:
bxrrr wrote:
Allow me to introduce you to the.. delicacy? beauty? majesty? ...pure horror? that is Kogel Mogel (also known as Goggle Moggle or Google Moogle).

Strictly an Ashkenazi Jewish beverage, this is definitely an.. acquired taste, if by 'acquired taste' one means an increased resistance to slow, non-lethal, but oh-so-very real torture.

I have yet to inflict this foul drink on anyone in my games. The players haven't done anything nearly bad enough to deserve such an inhumane punishment.

Similar to eggnog... Does that mean it's similar to Middle-American rompope or our Dutch advocaat? Because those are quite delicious.

It's usually given to young children as a remedy for sore throats. They can't really resist or put up a fight at those ages, you know.

Then again, I grew up drinking homemade milkshakes and eggnogs with raw eggs in them.

I have to agree. Then again, I can drink rompope, and to a certain extent advocaat as well, like a fish. I might miss the alcohol in this kogel mogel, but other than that it really doesn't sound bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3rik de πrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I'm boring. Strangest drink I've probably ever had was a drink at a greek restaurant that was very much like thinner tzatziki sauce. Most of the people at the table took one sip of it; no one took a second sip.

I don't think we've ever notably discussed drinks in an RPG.

Was it ouzo? Ouzo becomes cloudy white when mixed with water. I do not enjoy it, but it's probably somewhat of an acquired taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wood
United States
Frankfort
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.accessiblegames.biz
badge
Author of Psi-punk - Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
I once ate at a restaurant where they served very traditional Middle Eastern couisine. The waiter suggested we try the doog (which is almost certainly misspelled but that's how it's pronounced, as best as I can tell / remember).

It tasted like salty goat's milk yogurt drink. It has never inspired anything in me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Made you look!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really do strange drinks, alcoholic or otherwise, all that much. I've tried drinks with dairy (including a Thor's Coffee using my own mead) a few times but each has only reinforced that dairy drinks are not for me.

The strangest drink I've had was probably discovered during a random exploration of one of the nearby Asian markets and likely involved basil seed or grass jelly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperors Grace wrote:

bxrrr wrote:
3rik wrote:
bxrrr wrote:

To each his own, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
I just found out Canada isn’t real Turns out it was all mapleleaf.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big Coca-Cola fan. But the new flavors they have been releasing the past year or so are horrible. I tried them. I want to like them. But Fierce Mango and Twisted Cherry and all the other flavors might as well be labeled Drano. Yuk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
I'm a big Coca-Cola fan. But the new flavors they have been releasing the past year or so are horrible. I tried them. I want to like them. But Fierce Mango and Twisted Cherry and all the other flavors might as well be labeled Drano. Yuk.

The orange vanilla one is ok warm btu pretty gross cold. I still have 3 to drink...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Ginger Lime and the Orange Vanilla Diet Cokes.

My wife likes the Feisty Cherry Diet Coke.

Other than that, we could take them or leave them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody remember the "officially licensed" Jones Soda line for D&D?

https://www.themarysue.com/dungeons-dragons-soda-jones/

My brother still has a case (16 bottles) in storage as part of... well... I think it started out as a joke but then we lost track of it. It's still there. Probably has no flavor at all left. Which might make it more drinkable than when it was new
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
I've had an on-again, off-again relation ship with soda (well, we call it pop here in Michigan) since the 80s. I went from about 82-86 without drinking any then got sucked in by a free Apple Slice (probably no one remembers it) from the Pepsi guy at camp.

I've had several other long breaks and my most recent one started in about 2003. The good news is that I've missed nearly all the new flavors of old favorites like the many version of Mountain Dew, Pepsi, and Coke.

I'm very rarely tempted at all but in April there was a McDonald's ad with a Sprite in the restaurant that made me think about it and some of the Canada Dry flavors look interesting.

The D&D sodas tempted me, but I decided against it and so haven't sampled those or the various thanksgiving flavors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.