Subject: How to Deal With TPK rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
My group in a Lost Sons Savage Worlds campaign recently got TPKed. (Total Party Killed). We picked characters along the storyline and used them instead of starting from scratch all over again. My group kept basically the same storyline with a few character changes in stats and background in order to move forward. The group ended up changing its end goal overall but kept much of the same story alive. How do others groups deal with TPKs? Do you keep the story going or start over from scratch in the same campaign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually did the "alternate timeline" thing, where we resumed play as if the TPK adventure never happened and either repeated the adventure that they failed (if they did so sufficiently early in the module) or just struck off on a new mission.

Pete (sees no reason to continue a campaign with all new protagonists)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
I'll be watching responses closely. I don't know that there's a best solution. Some possible ones:

Brutality Level (BL) 1-5:

1. roll up new characters or use prominent NPCs (BL3)
2. alternate timeline (BL2)
3. campaign ends in failure; start a new one (BL5)
4. campaign ends in failure, but you pick up with re-rolled characters several years later and deal with the consequences of that failure (BL3)
5. find plot devices to resurrect the PCs, potentially with complications to that resurrection (BL1)

There are undoubtedly others I've missed. The best solution is one you talk through with your group, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Three ways:

- The End : the story finishes here, and it's a tragedy (my most common)
- The second Team : another team is sent, weeks, years later, and get to deal with the fallout. Former PCs often had relationships with NPCs which can become interesting. A TPK does not mean all members of the expeditions died, there can also be surviving familiars, objects and artifacts lost that need to be found.
- Third Party : We take the story from a completely different angle, either a third party or even the other side.

What I would not do is do a take back, alternate story or whatever. A TPK is just too interesting to squander by erasing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
mawilson4 wrote:
... campaign ends in failure; start a new one...

This is typically what I expect as a player or GM. The new one might be the same one, but with totally new characters and some adlibbing to avoid player knowledge of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I take the GM creates a world take. In this case, things are player driven. So, if there is a TPK, then that is it. The players create new PCs. If they decide to go down the same path as before, then they can. Usually, they head in a different direction and let that story line die with the PCs. Sometimes this ends up have a major affect on the world, and sometimes it does not.

What has occurred more often than not is one or more players is missing when there is a TPK. In this case, those PCs survived and were not with the group. Those PCs then meet up with the newly created PCs and keep going with the story line. This happened the most when dealing with combat focused D&D type games rather than other types of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ensure its a Total Party KO?

A TPK would kill so much investment and energy put into a game. I'd consider it a miserable and discouraging end to an RPG experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
Brutality Level (BL) 1-5:

BLWeird

Some Apocalypse World builds have the "untenable life" move.

Characters in Fragged Aeternum can't technically die, but there is a curious mechanic for between when their corporeal body is rendered inoperable and they get another one.

Monsterhearts lets you cheat death but the trade-off probably isn't acceptable to many (most?) players.

In some games (like e.g. Blades in the Dark, Deadlands (Original Edition)) you can just go on as undead.

Phoenix: Dawn Command makes death a "level up" mechanic (sort of).

Paranoia (1st Edition) makes death a comedic event (at least the first couple of times...)

There also are other "bolt on" systems that extend whichever RPG beyond the mortal coil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
Paranoia (1st Edition) makes death a comedic event (at least the first couple of times...)

Never had a TPK in Paranoia. There is at least one PC left after killing the others for being a commie mutant scumbag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
We had one some months ago while playing 10th level Pathfinder characters. The GM made a hidden role behind his screen, the remaining enemies were killed, one character became conscious, and revived the rest. He said a god intervened...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally? TPK = time for a new campaign. Especially since most of my TPKs have been due to players not avoiding avoidable and well telegraphed situations. Rarely, it's been generate new characters connected to the old ones..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not had one in over 30 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
We don't have many TPK's but they are the end of the campaign

We usually poke fun at ourselves for our terrible tactics or our bad dice rolls etc whatever was the reason for the TPK, then we move on usually with someone else in the GM seat with new characters all round and a completely new story/adventure.

It is what it is, you win some, you lose some
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It depends on the expectation of lethality.

Generally a TPK marks the end of a campaign.

However on certain campaigns e.g. Masks of Nyarlathotep, character death is very much expected, so I'd have new PCs pick up the threads of the missing original party and move on with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Let them roll up new characters

It's the old school way.

Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Role playing since the beginning.
badge
You on the list? https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/47027/
mbmbmbmbmb
I get a few TPKs a year, depending on the game, most commonly Call of Cthulhu then secondly D&D. The players usually have second characters they play at alternate sessions, so they play those and roll up new alternate characters between sessions.

In Cthulhu they sometimes follow the trail of their previous characters and we play out the rediscovery part of the session quickly. The players explain what clues they think are left by their previous characters including what happened to them at the end. Sometimes its "they went off and vanished from the Earth", ok now what do we do? It creates a cool narrative a bit like that in Lovecraft's "Lurker at the Threshold" where the story passes from one protagonist to the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
We usually did the "alternate timeline" thing, where we resumed play as if the TPK adventure never happened and either repeated the adventure that they failed...
Pete (and others who have a similar answer to this), I have an honest question: what do you find fun about this?

I ask because this seems to me to be the starkest example I have ever seen of a disconnect between system and desired play style. Like, if you are playing a game that allows for the possibility of a TPK but then, if one happens, you act as if it never happens...what was the point? Why allow for it in the first place?

It genuinely confuses me. I'm sure there are good reasons for it. But I can't think of them. I would love more details.

Mostly I just don't play games these days where the issue of how to "handle" a TPK comes up. In D&D-ish style games I play, everyone knows its a potential event and if it happens it happens; we roll up new characters and move on. These games are almost certainly "crawl" games of some sort without overarching plot lines that would be disrupted in a TPK. In nearly every other game I run or play in, it is impossible, or so astronomically unlikely as to be practically impossible (because the players/GM have so many tools to avoid it).

EDIT: Geoffrey's example of a TPK in a Savage Worlds-based game seems to me another example of disconnect. In my experience Savage Worlds is meant to be all pulp action and thrills and exciting derring do. A TPK, to my mind, should be literally impossible in such a game. Some character death is reasonable, especially if the players have some control over its exact timing and nature (e.g. you know your character is going to die by the end of the fight, but you get to tough it out until the end before you succumb). But a TPK? That should only be possible at the conclusion of a bit plot line, like *spoilers I guess?* Rogue One ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I ask because this seems to me to be the starkest example I have ever seen of a disconnect between system and desired play style. Like, if you are playing a game that allows for the possibility of a TPK but then, if one happens, you act as if it never happens...what was the point? Why allow for it in the first place?

Because many, many, RPGs are designed with a more "simulationist" mindset and are totally set up for random character and party death, and just because you don't like that element doesn't mean you don't like the rest of the system or that there's any good viable alternative system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
Geoffrey's example of a TPK in a Savage Worlds-based game seems to me another example of disconnect. In my experience Savage Worlds is meant to be all pulp action and thrills and exciting derring do. A TPK, to my mind, should be literally impossible in such a game.

Not totally impossible, especially with inexperienced players/GM, but in 600+ sessions of Savage Worlds that I have GMed I have never had a TPK, and I run some pretty brutal Savage Worlds combats. I am very intrigued how this one happened and where in Last Sons (a campaign I have run through to completion) it happened (my guess would be the Devils Tower).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
Sometimes, you just have to roll it.
badge
Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
We usually did the "alternate timeline" thing, where we resumed play as if the TPK adventure never happened and either repeated the adventure that they failed...
Pete (and others who have a similar answer to this), I have an honest question: what do you find fun about this?

It genuinely confuses me. I'm sure there are good reasons for it. But I can't think of them. I would love more details.

My GM did this one time- a lot because of how much effort goes into leveling in RoleMaster, and how easy it is to go completely wrong.

In our case, the TPK was because of the fact that we set a lone sentry, thinking we were in pretty safe area. The sentry was taken out by an 00 crit after he critically failed his perception roll. After that, it was all over but the dying.

The GM had us use our same development plans, and we started in an unknown location without our memories or souls. We had to unravel that, using our same development plans over the course of 5 levels before we actually figured out what was going on, and then quested for our souls. By the time we finished, we were level 9 or so... and then we were able to go back to our original level. It was pretty fun how he turned a bad roll of the dice into a pretty epic campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmb
chuckdee68 wrote:
skalchemist wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

My GM did this one time- a lot because of how much effort goes into leveling in RoleMaster, and how easy it is to go completely wrong.

In our case, the TPK was because of the fact that we set a lone sentry, thinking we were in pretty safe area. The sentry was taken out by an 00 crit after he critically failed his perception roll. After that, it was all over but the dying.

The GM had us use our same development plans, and we started in an unknown location without our memories or souls. We had to unravel that, using our same development plans over the course of 5 levels before we actually figured out what was going on, and then quested for our souls. By the time we finished, we were level 9 or so... and then we were able to go back to our original level. It was pretty fun how he turned a bad roll of the dice into a pretty epic campaign.

Ok, so if I am understanding your reply here, Chuck, and Brian's reply, the answer to my question is two-fold:

* the system that is being used has features that people like a lot, and the potential risk of a TPK is worth running to have those features

* the actual TPK was not something that was planned for/predicted, and therefore an "on-the-spot" correction was needed to keep things fun. (essentially, the possibility was always there but the GM/players either thought it so unlikely they didn't need to consider it, or simply just never thought of it at all).

I get both of those things. I would still suggest, though, that if
a) one is running a game where a TPK has fair probability of happening and
b) one does not actually want to deal with the consequences of a TPK as a TPK,
then c) a house rule to prevent it from happening is worth considering.

For example, here is a simple house rule that would work in nearly any game, mechanically (even Rolemaster). If there is a TPK, at the end of the fight every player rolls a 20 sided die. The two player characters with the lowest rolls are actually dead. The others are still alive, but at the mercy of their opponents. This could mean capture, but could also mean left to rot, after which they crawl to safety, lick their wounds, and plan revenge. This ensures that TPK's have consequences that anyone can face, but also ensures (in a game with at least 4 players) that enough player characters survive to continue whatever the plot line might be in a coherent fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
STRAP IN » BURN ON » BLACK OUT
badge
HIT 'EM FROM ORBIT
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I always write regular letters to my most promising nephew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I mostly deal with TPKs by making the goal of any opposition and the result of failure against the enviroment to be something other than totally killing the party.

That is, the opposition can achieve their goals without killing the entire party, and possibly without killing any of them. For instance, a monster might want to take an item; it would be easier to take the item if the party weren't present, and killing the party would achieve that, but it's probably still possible to achieve that goal even with the party there, so that's its focus. The party can lose, without even one of them dying, or even taking a scratch, so usually none of them die, and there's a very low chance of a TPK but there's a very good chance of them losing. (Edited to add: I don't ever consider capture or "left-for-dead-but-stripped-of-possessions" as possible failure modes, because they don't seem fun to me and don't seem to be fun for players in general, except as an alternative to a TPK.)

If a TPK is likely, or the players would like the oppositions' goal to be to wipe them all out, then I simply ask the players to make "trapdoor" characters, backup characters with aspects that make them easy to insert into the current situation, such as a fellow guildmate, an avenging sibling, a former student, etc. We would immediately pick up with this new group and carry on.

In other words, a little planning. If a TPK is possible, then be ready for it. Otherwise, it's going to make the entire experience more unpleasant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
For example, here is a simple house rule that would work in nearly any game, mechanically (even Rolemaster). If there is a TPK, at the end of the fight every player rolls a 20 sided die. The two player characters with the lowest rolls are actually dead. The others are still alive, but at the mercy of their opponents. This could mean capture, but could also mean left to rot, after which they crawl to safety, lick their wounds, and plan revenge. This ensures that TPK's have consequences that anyone can face, but also ensures (in a game with at least 4 players) that enough player characters survive to continue whatever the plot line might be in a coherent fashion.

In EverQuest, when you died, you respawned but without your equipment. You lost a lot of XP. At higher levels, this means losing entire levels. If you wanted your stuff back, you had to go to your dead body and loot your own corpse. Of course, you may die trying to get to your body. Often people would store backup equipment in the bank. But then again, you can still die trying to get to your corpse leaving two corpses to loot.

While someone could adopt that for a PnP RPG, there is also simply the idea that the PCs will be looted since the enemy thinks they are dead. Not a big deal to a level 1, but if you are high level with good equipment, this will sting as much or more than death. I mean, if PCs are murderhobos, then why not NPCs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
Sometimes, you just have to roll it.
badge
Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:

I get both of those things. I would still suggest, though, that if
a) one is running a game where a TPK has fair probability of happening and
b) one does not actually want to deal with the consequences of a TPK as a TPK,
then c) a house rule to prevent it from happening is worth considering.

But we dealt with the consequences of a TPK. Just not in a conventional manner. We've had lower level characters fall victim to the same thing, and we've just spent the rest of the session rolling up our next party. The GM had this idea on the backburner and thus decided to go with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.