Greyhawk Adventures
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
I just found out Canada isn’t real Turns out it was all mapleleaf.
mbmbmbmbmb
A question suggested by

Joseph Hellar
msg tools
designer

What's the oldest or most obscure item in your gaming collection?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wood
United States
Frankfort
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.accessiblegames.biz
badge
Author of Psi-punk - Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
The most obscure is probably one of the first-ish run of Braille d20s from DOTS RPG. They're becoming a bit more common now, which is totally awesome, but I dig this old thing.

It's huge and the dots aren't easy to read, but it was a great proof of concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Entire gaming collection?

Oldest:
Probably original copies of Little Wars and Floor Games.

Most obscure?
Probably a copy of WehrSchach, a 1938 game made for the German Wehrmacht.
Perhaps Shambattle, but reprints have been made.

Really obscure?
A complete run of Schimmen & Schaduwen, a Belgian roleplaying game of which only a few 100 copies were printed, all included. But then, I was one of the original authors ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the entire run of Unspeakable Oath?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mb
I have a TSR Lizardman belt buckle. I guess they were some sort of gift for the staff. I got mine as a gift from a local game shop back in the early 80s I think.

Actual game item is probably a print copy of Wings of the Valkyrie which I bought off the shelf before the recall was issued.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Constraining this to only RPGs. I probably have some board games from early childhood locked away in a closet somewhere...

The most obscure might be Rüs. Apparently a lot of people hadn't heard of this little diamond in the rough in the rough.

Oldest might be King Arthur Pendragon (1st Edition). It's not terribly old, but it is inscribed by Greg to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Pennisi
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1943 edition of Fletcher Pratt's Naval War Game, I believe, and also some copies of his club's newsletter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
On the board game side, in ~2013 I bought a 1981 copy of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases off of EBay, before it was reprinted in recent years and easier to find.

I used to have some 1e D&D manuals, but they ended up with my older brother. At least a couple of them were originally his anyway, so it was really just returning them to their original owner.

{edit} Oh! I have the Dark Sun Boxed Set from 1991. That's definitely my oldest RPG item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas (he/him)
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
irregular guest for a couple of days - mostly offline
mb
Most obscure:
Various issues from German rpg fanzines, I guess. Small print runs, never widely known.

Oldest:
I don't think I own anything older than 1984, regarding rpgs.

My gaming collection at large: I own some encyclopedias of games from the late 19th century, and 32-sided glass dice from the first half of the 20th century. Nothing special, to be fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Made you look!
mbmbmbmbmb
If your entire collection is logged on RPG Geek, the "games by year" view from BGG doesn't discriminate on domain or item type. Take a gander at your oldest things. Might not handle reprints. Definitely doesn't handle item versions as I'm certain the Apple Lane PDF I purchased a few months ago wasn't made in the 70s.

For me, the oldest items are the D&D basic set and monster manual from '77.

Most obscure is a hard one. I've got so much stuff that I never hear anyone talking about or I'm the one who entered its data and am one of the only owners of. Something modern like Uprising: The Dystopian Universe? Something significantly older like Strange Frontiers? Just plain weird like Advanced Dimensional Green Ninja Educational Preparatory Super Elementary Fortress 555?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
This is the oldest thing in my collection

It is older than me and I have absolutely no idea when/how I acquired it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Shadowrun (1st Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldest is The Strategic Review (Volume 1, Issue 1)

Most obscure is probably something I forgot about? I have a lot of really obscure stuff. Let's go with Player's Handbook 3 (D&D 4e)... nobody bought that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is coming!
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've told this tale before... It's Wrestling Warriors and Advanced Wrestling Warriors.

I met the designer, Walt Spafford, at Gen Con in 1992. I noticed that there was a pro wrestling RPG event and walked over to check it out. At that time, I was working on a text based pro wrestling computer game. It turned out that we had similar ideas; in retrospect, not very good ones.

I bought his game, supplement, and newsletter on the spot. Every expense was spared in the production. It was more or less a dot-matrix printout stapled together; it wouldn't even be an ash can by today's standards. Check out the cover:

The game was just a combat simulator held together by (optional) roleplaying. His newsletter was entertaining. Like I do, I lost all interest in a few months.

I know there were other people who owned the game, but I'd bet it didn't hit double digits. I'm still the only one here who claims ownership. I'm pretty sure I still have it in a folder somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas (he/him)
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
irregular guest for a couple of days - mostly offline
mb
tdphillips wrote:
If your entire collection is logged on RPG Geek, the "games by year" view from BGG doesn't discriminate on domain or item type. Take a gander at your oldest things. Might not handle reprints. Definitely doesn't handle item versions as I'm certain the Apple Lane PDF I purchased a few months ago wasn't made in the 70s.

Sweet. I don't think I've ever seen that function, and I have no idea how to access it (apart from your link). Thanks!

Sorted that way, my collection (regardless of type/ domain and ignoring versions, just by "year of origin" or whatever we want to call that date) is mostly from 2009-2015. Those are my "bulk years".
Some print stuff I haven't yet tracked on Geekdo, some PDFs are, but definitely not all of them. The list doesn't cover rpgissues - those would be interesting, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
What's the oldest or most obscure item in your gaming collection?

Oldest: Empire of the Petal Throne boxed set (minus dice) & War of Wizards (complete, I believe).

Most obscure: hmmm, I can't say. I have a number of non-english language items that are probably quite obscure, but I guess it depends on the audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trencher for Life
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My most obscure? Domination.

My oldest? Metamorphosis Alpha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much left that's obscure or old. I used to have a pretty good collection of obscure stuff, patronizing small companies at Origins and GenCon throughout much of the '80s. But in the mid-90s I had to sell it all off to afford much-needed dental work, alas.

Probably the rarest RPG-related thing I have left is:

It's my only remaining memento of the trial - I used to have some of the books that were marked as evidence, but they've all been all auctioned off.

Edit: the oldest RPG-related items I have are all magazines. Some early Space Gamers (which is older than Dragon Magazine, BTW) and some early Sorcerer's Apprentices. I think the oldest book I still have is Monsters! Monsters! (2nd Edition), though I used to have many older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
United States
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the oldest thing I have is Solo 01: Buffalo Castle. I don't think I have anything particularly obscure, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmb
jasri wrote:
tdphillips wrote:

Sweet. I don't think I've ever seen that function, and I have no idea how to access it (apart from your link). Thanks!
Me neither, also thanks! That is pretty cool.

I suspect the oldest/most obscure thing I have in my collection is The Fellowship of the Ring, which is neither particularly old nor particularly obscure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
I succumbed to peer pressure and bought OverText, then couldn't think of anything clever to say.
badge
Keep going, you'll find no words of sage advice or solace here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldest is En Garde! from ‘75. Had to dig around for its errata.

Most obscure is probably the Rivets microgame from ‘77. Never met anyone else who owned a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
NightLife (3rd Edition) is probably the most obscure of mainstream RPG items I own. I have a good amount of ephemera from the OSR blogosphere which may or may not be obscure in the present company. Oldest RPG stuff is probably 79 or 80 d&d books, an incomplete set.

For boardgames, I have a ill-defined collection of weird stuff.

On the RPG adjacent side, I have a nice copy of Lords Of The Middle Sea, a post-apoc steampunkish hex n counter set in an underwater USA. The setting/map would make good a Gamma World setting.

My Phil Eklund collection is pretty robust, the oldest/obscurest I have a copy of Luftschiff.

I recently got a copy of Dreamspell which is a divination tool that has a listing on BGG. It is pretty trippy and worth a read; I would not do justice to the theory presented but it is influenced strongly by the Mayan calendar. The "game" element is essentially applying to the tool to each persons birthday and using the charts to divine their future.

It really is a neat piece and I guess I might frame it at some point. It ends with the Mayan calendar (2012 or earlier?) and so can't really be used today.

I have the boards for Nectar Collector and Save the Whales framed in my game room. There are two or three other games by this small hippy family but the boards are not as frame worthy.

And more. I mostly just go with what catches my fancy. So much strange stuff out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldest is the Council of Wyrms box set. I have no idea how obscure it is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty boring...

My oldest is the Dungeons & Dragons Basic Rulebook (First Edition) from 1977. Probably pretty common.

I have no idea what most obscure is - I'm curious to sort my collection by number of RPGG owners, but I'm not seeing a way to do that.

When I was a kid, I had the little plastic dinosaur set that included the thing that was clearly NOT a dinosaur that inspired the D&D Rust Monster...but it was thrown away long ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.