Wilderness Survival Guide
Deities & Demigods
Greyhawk Adventures
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
Sometimes, you just have to roll it.
badge
Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Ars Magica and Covenants, though that vies with Oriental Adventures and Unearthed Arcana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I have no idea what most obscure is - I'm curious to sort my collection by number of RPGG owners, but I'm not seeing a way to do that
Brian, I too don't know how to sort by owners, but you CAN sort by number of voters, which seems likely to be correlated with number of owners.

If you go to your profile, click on the link next to "Owned" RPG items, and the click on the "Columns" link, you can add number of voters to the table and then sort by it. This is not nearly as useful as num of owners would be, because a lot of things that are not really that obscure only have one or no votes. But still, its something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
StormKnight wrote:
I have no idea what most obscure is - I'm curious to sort my collection by number of RPGG owners, but I'm not seeing a way to do that
Brian, I too don't know how to sort by owners, but you CAN sort by number of voters, which seems likely to be correlated with number of owners.

If you go to your profile, click on the link next to "Owned" RPG items, and the click on the "Columns" link, you can add number of voters to the table and then sort by it. This is not nearly as useful as num of owners would be, because a lot of things that are not really that obscure only have one or no votes. But still, its something.

Yeah, I did check that, but there are so many 1s and 0s that its not really useful. I suspect a lot of people (generally myself included) just don't bother to rate individual items. Thanks for the effort though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
StormKnight wrote:
Brian, I too don't know how to sort by owners...

You can do this if you have access to something like Excel.

1. While in RPGG (not BGG or VGG), go to your profile.
2. To the right, click on OWNED in the first group (RPG Items).
3. At the top, to the right, you'll see:

4. Click on "owned" and wait.
5. You'll then get a geekmail that you have a .csv file waiting for you. That file will include a "number of owners" column that you can sort on in Excel (or substitute).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My collection isn't exactly a treasure trove of old and rare items. My oldest books are probably my AD&D 2nd edition core rulebooks. My most obscure item seems to be Diomin: State of the Nations - Volume One: The Gadianti & Hearthom.

Only two other RPGGeek users have indicated owning this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmb
My oldest RPG item is Dungeons & Dragons (Woodgrain Box & White Box Sets) 4th printing and all the supplements, followed by Traveller (Classic), with a bunch of supplements.

Most obscure is hard to say, I have some weird old stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldest is the 1977 AD&D Monster Manual.

Most obscure is Servants of Gaius. Apparently only two other Geeks own a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
Sometimes, you just have to roll it.
badge
Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple wrote:
My collection isn't exactly a treasure trove of old and rare items. My oldest books are probably my AD&D 2nd edition core rulebooks. My most obscure item seems to be Diomin: State of the Nations - Volume One: The Gadianti & Hearthom.

Three now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
skalchemist wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

5. You'll then get a geekmail that you have a .csv file waiting for you. That file will include a "number of owners" column that you can sort on in Excel (or substitute).

Woo hoo! Awesome! That worked.

So by that metric, my most obscure item is Onandon, which was an 'April Fool's' item for Ironclaw with rules for conventional fantasy monsters (still actually usable despite being an April Fools item). It has 2 owners on RPGG, which are myself and my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obscure? Excluding Gamer Chef and 2018 RPG 24-hr contest stuff, I still have downloaded some unusual stuff:

Howabout, Dreamscapes, https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/268408/Lost-in-Dreamsca.... This is a homebrew game created to add scaffolding to foreshadowing dream sequences for any rpg system.

The weirdest totally obscure one

Fleshscape. It is a mini- rpg about living on a world made of flesh and bone - not a great game but some good ideas for a creepy setting and great rules for building items. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/205832/Fleshscape

Most obscure rpg item
Honor & Oni - a samurai themed Lasers and Feelings clone that is no longer on drivethrurpg.com

Obscure hardcopy rpg
A copy of A Dirty World from the 2019 US Chain of Generosity - still this is a Gold seller on drivethrurpg.com. I think I would love this game if I could get my head around the One roll engine.

My most obscure boardgame; Gammarauders or Solarquest

Oldest rpg hardcopy
Until 2 years ago, I had the 1985 Marvel Superheroes. I still have the D&D 2nd ed fighters handbook and Birthright DM Screen.

Oldest game in my collection was an original 1955 copy of Stratego but that got replaced by a newer copy and then by LotR: Confrontations. Now it is probably Win, Place, & Show (1966)

I am of the age and persuasion that I would have fit in great with the lead boys from Stranger Things but I met a friend in high school whom played Avalon Hill games with his dad. A couple years later I started to search out some of the older games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Anderson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how obscure it is, but I think the oldest RPG-related product I have is Starleader: Assault! from 1982. Description from BGG: "Microgame #21 in the Metagaming Microgames series is a wargame module meant to be the character-combat engine for a 'Starleader' RPG that was never produced."

One of the things I enjoy most at my FLGS is browsing the used section for old, weird, obscure items that strike my fancy, which is how I got Starleader Assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
Not much left that's obscure or old. I used to have a pretty good collection of obscure stuff, patronizing small companies at Origins and GenCon throughout much of the '80s. But in the mid-90s I had to sell it all off to afford much-needed dental work, alas.

Probably the rarest RPG-related thing I have left is:

It's my only remaining memento of the trial - I used to have some of the books that were marked as evidence, but they've all been all auctioned off.

Edit: the oldest RPG-related items I have are all magazines. Some early Space Gamers (which is older than Dragon Magazine, BTW) and some early Sorcerer's Apprentices. I think the oldest book I still have is Monsters! Monsters! (2nd Edition), though I used to have many older.

WTF?! What was this court case about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:

http://www.sjgames.com/SS/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
cjbowser wrote:
Inkwan wrote:

Thanks, Chad. I was a co-plaintiff because:

A) I was the one online when the SS unplugged SJG's BBS computer, and
B) I had just sent Steve Jackson an email which the SS read on the seized computer and deleted, but Steve never saw. 1st and 4th amendment violations.

Edit: Beth and Walter were included because in those days they were courting via private messages on the BBS, living thousands of miles apart. (Beth had not yet moved to NH.) As you can imagine, some of these messages were *very* personal - yet were read and deleted by the SS unread by the intended recipients. By the time of the trial, three years later, they were happily married (and still are) and thus both are listed in the Complaint document as residents of NH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
SFAD5: Bugs in the System, with a certificate of authenticity proving that it came from the personal collection of Gary Gygax.

I got it off eBay when his widow sold off a bunch of stuff after his death. Got it for a reasonable price -- most of the high bidders went after the marquee stuff -- G1-3, 1e DMG, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
cjbowser wrote:
Inkwan wrote:

Thanks, Chad. I was a co-plaintiff because:

A) I was the one online when the SS unplugged SJG's computer, and
B) I had just sent Steve Jackson an email which the SS read on the seized computer and deleted, but Steve never saw.

What utter b.s.! Glad you shamed the Man for their gross overreach!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:

What utter b.s.! Glad you shamed the Man for their gross overreach!

It was a BBS. Two "B"s. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckdee68 wrote:
Purple wrote:

Three now.

It'll need two more before it gets dethroned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Some people call this junk. Me, I call them treasures.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldest RPG item: Dungeons & Dragons Basic Rulebook (First Edition) (1977). Users owning: 189.
Most obscure RPG item: Dungeon Crawl Classics: The Heroes Arise (2007). "A Campaign Path That Takes Characters From Level 1 To 10." Users owning: 8.
Oldest game of any type: Gettysburg (1958). Users owning: 864. (Across all versions. I do have lots of games that were designed earlier, including multiple ancient abstract games and 20th-century Parker Brothers and Milton Bradley games, but all of them have been printed more recently than 1958, so they don't feel like they count as "old and obscure." Gettysburg has also had multiple printings since 1958, but none of them recently, and I actually have one of the two first edition printings that came out in 1958. I'm not exactly sure which one, but I think it's the second printing.)
Most obscure game of any type: Crustacean Multiplication Dominoes Year published: Unknown. (It's not printed anywhere on the box or rules.) Users owning: Me. I'm the one who added it to the database, and no one has listed it in their collection since then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thrift Thopter wrote:
Oldest RPG item: Dungeons & Dragons Basic Rulebook (First Edition) (1977). Users owning: 189.
Most obscure RPG item: Dungeon Crawl Classics: The Heroes Arise (2007). "A Campaign Path That Takes Characters From Level 1 To 10." Users owning: 8.
Oldest game of any type: Gettysburg (1958). Users owning: 864. (Across all versions. I do have lots of games that were designed earlier, including multiple ancient abstract games and 20th-century Parker Brothers and Milton Bradley games, but all of them have been printed more recently than 1958, so they don't feel like they count as "old and obscure." Gettysburg has also had multiple printings since 1958, but none of them recently, and I actually have one of the two first edition printings that came out in 1958. I'm not exactly sure which one, but I think it's the second printing.)
Most obscure game of any type: Crustacean Multiplication Dominoes Year published: Unknown. (It's not printed anywhere on the box or rules.) Users owning: Me. I'm the one who added it to the database, and no one has listed it in their collection since then.

Is this the d10 version of Gettysburg? I would love a copy of the one I played in high school (printed in the 80's I think) but I am never able to sort out which version that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
United States
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
skalchemist wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

According to this (and excluding PDFs), I am the only person on RPGGeek who owns The Derelict, The Grove A Thule and his Money (Savage Worlds) and Yaruki Zero: Collected Thoughts on Role-Playing Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Some people call this junk. Me, I call them treasures.
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:
Thrift Thopter wrote:

Is this the d10 version of Gettysburg? I would love a copy of the one I played in high school (printed in the 80's I think) but I am never able to sort out which version that is.

While mine does have the boards, counters, and several reference sheets, it's missing rules, dice, and possibly other things, so I'm not sure. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Gorski
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Get my Mac and iOS software for Traveller at http://naasirka.weebly.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
On the board game side I have a few of the old Avalon Hill wargames like Blitzkrieg from the 60's. The most obscure is a copy of Wheeler Dealer customized for my wife's hometown.

On the rpg side I have a copy of the Dungeons & Dragons (Woodgrain Box & White Box Sets) that I found at a Half-Price Books, but I only have the books and not the box. The most obscure (actually rare) is a complete copy of The Lost Supplements Collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
sos1 wrote:

Not counting PDFs, myself and 1 other are the only owners of Agony & Ecstasy, Mythic D6 Quick Start, and White Death. It's kinda depressing when one of the least owned items in your collection is something you wrote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thrift Thopter wrote:
Inkwan wrote:
Thrift Thopter wrote:

While mine does have the boards, counters, and several reference sheets, it's missing rules, dice, and possibly other things, so I'm not sure. Sorry.

1958 is too early to be D10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.