Trencher for Life
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperors Grace wrote:
1978 Gamma World box set with the original "soft" dice is the oldest I know.

It's possible that some of my Dragon's and/or AD+D books are older, though I bought them later.

Obscure?, probably some of the random fanzines or quickstarts that I've managed to collect. Maybe the large TSR store sign of "Your Adventure Begins Here!".

Actually, it's probably the TSR "newspapers" that the bookstores used to distribute. I still have a few.

(I have a lot of random crap.)

I still have the d4, d6, and d12 - in all their edge worn glory - from the 1978 GW set. Still miss it. Stoopid teenage me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brianmccue wrote:
Mallet wrote:
I would say that Queries n'Theories, by WFF N'PROOF Games, is probably "obscure" to most people here on RPGG.

I had one or two other games in that series, and I just bought The Propaganda Game for a co-worker.

By any chance, can you make a comparsion between Queries 'n Theories and Zendo?

The Propaganda Game is just great !

Played it a ton when I was teenager !

Actually, I owned all their games.

EDIT: Still do, come to think of it. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brianmccue wrote:
Mallet wrote:
I would say that Queries n'Theories, by WFF N'PROOF Games, is probably "obscure" to most people here on RPGG.

I had one or two other games in that series, and I just bought The Propaganda Game for a co-worker.

By any chance, can you make a comparsion between Queries 'n Theories and Zendo?

Both Zendo and Queries n’Theories are great games ! If you like one, you’ll like the other.

We don’t play with the complex scoring rules of Qn’T, though. First one who guesses the rule wins! Very simple.

Zendo is the most approachable of the pair, by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having looked through my RPG collection the most obscure item I own, as I'm the only one one RPG Geek showing as owning it, has to be The Worst of British, a sourcebook for Squadron UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
philip.dutre wrote:
During the late 80s (maybe early 90s) I had a set of book dust jackets, meant to be wrapped around books, and which turned your book into a famous Lovecraftian book (Necronomicon etc.). We used such books as props during out CoC games.

These days, such a product wouldn’t make much sense, since it’s very easy to download some images yourself, print them, and make your own faux book cover.

Nevertheless, I always wondered who had made those covers. I’ve never seen them since, and since I don’t remember the ‘official’ product name, it’s a bit hard to search for ‘book covers for call of cthulhu’, which turns up a lot os useless links.

I always thought this was a very obscure product, with a very limited printed run, but maybe I’m compeltely wrong ...

These covers?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Not in our database, as they're not strictly a gaming product, but they were a Chaosium release entitled Cthulhu Covers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
trystero11 wrote:
philip.dutre wrote:
During the late 80s (maybe early 90s) I had a set of book dust jackets, meant to be wrapped around books, and which turned your book into a famous Lovecraftian book (Necronomicon etc.). We used such books as props during out CoC games.

These days, such a product wouldn’t make much sense, since it’s very easy to download some images yourself, print them, and make your own faux book cover.

Nevertheless, I always wondered who had made those covers. I’ve never seen them since, and since I don’t remember the ‘official’ product name, it’s a bit hard to search for ‘book covers for call of cthulhu’, which turns up a lot os useless links.

I always thought this was a very obscure product, with a very limited printed run, but maybe I’m compeltely wrong ...

These covers?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Not in our database, as they're not strictly a gaming product, but they were a Chaosium release entitled Cthulhu Covers.

Yep, those were the ones I remember! I dind’t know they were a Chaosium product, always thought they were 3rd party. If I’m not mistaken there 2 different sets, but again, my memory is rusty ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldest:

Probably some leftover pieces from a 1970s version of Monopoly. Or if it should be somehow RPG related: Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. I got that one for my 10th birthday in 1984.

Most obscure: Warpstone (Issue 1 - Spring 1996). Really rare outside the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Gibson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldest - probably my 1st ed D&D PH, first printing.

Most obscure/rarest - I have a V&V module that was made for a con, basically on newsprint. Wings of the Valkyrie for HERO, first version of AD&D Deities and Demigods. Not super obscure but uncommon - I have all the Dangerous Journeys/Mythus books by Gygax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
Hang on... my neurons were kicking over this. I bought a "batch" o' stuff from an internet guy several years ago. It had a handwritten note (like, a short paragraph) by Robert J. Kuntz, along with his "authorial review copy" of an issue of Dragon magazine that he'd contributed to. And a couple Polyhedron with Roger E. Moore's mailing label still attached. Does that count as obscure? Or just odd?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

I have a game of Risk that is an early 1960's printing.

I still have the original D20 from Dungeons & Dragons Set 1: Basic Rules.

The most obscure would be various unpublished products from Gary Gygax. These include two mammoth setting books, gods, monsters, and a couple of sci-fi/space RPGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
SteamCraft wrote:
The most obscure would be various unpublished products from Gary Gygax. These include two mammoth setting books, gods, monsters, and a couple of sci-fi/space RPGs.

Yoiks! That sounds really cool...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3rik de πrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The oldest item I own is Call of Cthulhu (4th Edition).

The most obscure...

maybe Fudge Horror: Vampires?
or my stuff for Pulp Adventure?

I also hear Dark Continent: Adventures and Exploration in Darkest Africa is pretty hard to find these days...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
SteamCraft wrote:

Yoiks! That sounds really cool...

I haven't looked at any of it in forever. It is a huge amount of content.

Elder Worlds - A sci-fi RPG where the idea is that humans are fighting alien races that want to destroy us. However, humans are a transplanted species all over the galaxy. This deal with the home world and its solar system after the collapse of its great empire. It uses a percentile system, but different from his Lejendary Adventure's one. It was written after he first designed LA, however, he never got to an official version 1.0 complete of it. Before his death I asked him about it and he said that he handed it over to someone else to finish and it would be converted over the LA for completion.

Key of Sand - A Middle Eastern/Desert setting. It is not even the entire part of that setting, but a large section of it known as the Zajhady Conflux. I believe it is ~300 pages.

Maledicted Plateau - Is a source book for a region within the Key of Sand. It is the source of the conflict in the region. It is around ~250 pages

The Tempe Ruins Adventure - A 200 page adventure set in the Maledicted Plateau.

Fabled Pantheons - Similar to Deities and Demigods. Twenty pantheons in total that are fictional, but based on Earth pantheons. It includes information about rankings, the planes, and ecclesiastical structures of a few of the pantheons.

Lejendary Asterogues - This is a pulp soft science fiction RPG similar in style to early 20th century sci-fi. It is set in an alternate Earth future where you colonize the solar system. It uses the same system as Lejendary Adventure with some minor changes. It consists of two books. The GM guide is ~1000 pages divided in two and a player's guide at 300 pages. The GM guide also contains the setting so that is partly why it is so large. These date from 1994.

What I remember most about Asterogues are game design thoughts. There are what I would think of as articles covering different genres and play styles, e.g. action-adventure, investigation, problem solving, etc. Parts of it examine the declining population and economics of the RPG market in the 1990's. He criticized veteran players for not playing new games and being elitist to new gamers. Who also thought there was a problem in having a game that worked for new players and veterans. While not stated, I am inferring he thought this game was one that bridged the divided.

It introduced this really cool idea I used to use with an established group - multi-tier gaming. It begins with how to embed the PCs into the world. In other words, the PCs are part of the world and not just murderhobos. But it goes beyond that at advocates the players playing multiple characters. However, it is not at the same time. It is divided into different levels and each level is suitable to different types of adventures/missions. However, these all can and should all fit together for the entire campaign. There was more to it and probably some things I did not like/agree with. Yet, I did like the idea of today you are fighters doing this, but next week you are secret operatives, and the week after that you are engaged in political maneuvering. All of it is connected, but instead you use different PCs and it may not be known until later on how all of the pieces fit together. Or at least that is what I took from it.

I have some other stuff from him, but those are the big one's. For anyone interested, what he was working on prior to his health scare was a horror RPG in the style of the Night Stalker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a complete copy of this 1933 game for $1 somewhere (can’t remember where). It’s a good word card game which we play from time to time.

I also own Tactics II from 1958.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
I bought a complete copy of this 1933 game for $1 somewhere (can’t remember where). It’s a good word card game which we play from time to time.

I also own Tactics II from 1958.

I forgot that I also bought a used copy of Tactics II
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.