Greyhawk Adventures
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
I just found out Canada isn’t real Turns out it was all mapleleaf.
mbmbmbmbmb
A question suggested by

Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Have you ever been in a rpg adventure where agriculture, craftsmanship, or some other form of actual work played a prominent role? (as opposed to looting dungeons and getting money from rulers)

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry proctor
United Kingdom
Corfe Mullen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a modern day WoD mortal game set on around a university campus. So while not vital to the plot characters had day jobs, that helped to define them and affected their availability a bit.
We had a couple of students, a grounds keeper and my character ran the local games shop. (And tried to use his in character WoD books to research things when he found out such things existed.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I don't prefer dungeon based games, I don't run a lot of dungeons. Employment skills do tend to matter.

Smithing and design both have figured prominently in L5R games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmb
If I ever play Mouse Guard, probably? As I recall there’s some nice in-game mechanical hooks that would make it worth it (aside from story of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
My mind always goes to 5e, but Alex makes a good point that this is baked into certain systems more than others. Like Mouse Guard. If I ever talk one of my groups into playing Numenera, it will similarly involve less obviously heroic tasks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Made you look!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was part of a GURPS campaign that saw our ancient Roman settlement and a significant portion of the surrounding landscape shifted to a fantasy world. If you've played or seen the video game Obduction, it was that type of effect - a sphere of Earth was transposed with a sphere of <wherever we ended up>.

There was combat but that aspect was a very small part of the game. Most of it involved managing relationships within our city and with the two sapient races we found, exploring the area, managing resources, and trying to figure out why the wild human populace was the way that they were. We eventually discovered that other cities, villages, and encampments were transported as well, and one of the sapient races may not have been what it seemed.

My character was one of the guys who oversaw agriculture, with a focus on plants and a hobby of vintnering. The hobby was somewhat useful in becoming besties with one of the sapients that ended up having a love of wine. Coincidentally, my own real life hobbies now include making mead (or honey wine in certain vocabularies).

I'm not sure why I dropped out or how the campaign ended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
Played in a Serenity Role Playing Game short game that was based around the output of a single region's agriculture. The characters didn't "grow" things, but they were quite interested in the progress of the growing things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that I have played that comes close is Paranoia (2nd Edition) if you consider the mandatory hunting of commie mutant traitors as work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shellito
United States
Hollister
California
flag msg tools
designer
no, not the Hollister on the tee shirts. that place does not exist.
badge
Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran an Apocalypse World game where Iguana ranching, farming grain and pumpkins, and digging a water well we’re al major components of the game. Sure there were the normal wasteland and inter party conflicts, but the game felt much more about building a future that fighting over the scraps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Anderson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. In my long-running Savage Worlds space opera game, the players had a ship which they used for legitimate trading as well as smuggling; however, legitimate trading happened off-screen between sessions, while the actual adventures were based on their smuggling efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
Sometimes, you just have to roll it.
badge
Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?
mbmbmbmbmb
Smuggling, Trading, Logistics, and Politics for some of my less modern and futuristic games. And in all of my modern games this comes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Stray bits of background stuff, but not a focus.

The closest we've ever come was in a contemporary supernatural RPG, where there was some dabbling into what a formerly sheltered from the world PC was learning about how to make a living. Most of it was comedic effect about her discoveries that "real" PI work was quite different from both their supernatural investigations and what she saw on TV, and mostly involved really boring stuff and what she perceived as inconsequential things like catching cheating spouses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
No. All business is better simulated by computer games. I'm not sure why I would want to simulate craftsmanship, but just play Dwarf Fortress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmb
Aces & Eights: Shattered Frontier has a thorough coverage for jobs, farming, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
STRAP IN » BURN ON » BLACK OUT
badge
HIT 'EM FROM ORBIT
mbmbmbmbmb
Murderhoboing is a kind of agriculture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hein Ragas
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
designer
[Insert witty message here]
badge
[Insert another witty message here]
mbmbmbmbmb
In Ryuutama, you can play a craftsperson, or a healer, or a farmer, or a trader. It's not always a factor, but a cook is always a welcome addition to any travelling party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
For some definition of "actual work" and "prominent role," sure.

Pendragon. In addition to the expected chivalric questing, there's also fiefdom management, which includes agriculture and crafting (or at least getting your peasants to do those things).

Ryuutama. Tradesman, healers, and farmers are character classes. You don't farm much in the game, but farmers are very good at animal husbandry. Tradesmen can make, repair, and sell things. Healers can make alchemical draughts.

The Quiet Year. You build projects for your community. They are hard and tough to build. No questing.

Mutant: Year Zero. You build projects on your ark and forage for food.

I have played a good amount of Mouse Guard, and, while each PC has a craft skill that their family does, crafting has never actually come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
Sometimes, you just have to roll it.
badge
Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
Murderhoboing is a kind of agriculture.

More reaping, IME.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I basically get to give the same answer as yesterdays QOTD.

Ran a Star Wars game where the cargo turned out to be a herd of Shaak.

PCs then had to deal with cleaning up lots of Shaak poop in their starship
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
In my current urban campaign, I have a job board for players that includes everything from the heroic to the mundane. Perhaps predictably, they've gravitated toward the more lucrative, dangerous stuff. But among some others, one was a request for help on a local farm and one was offering job(s) as a debt collector. I didn't build a twist into either one; it just would have been goofy scenes where they either did routine farm work for a bit of coin, or were sent to a low-income neighborhood to scare people into paying debts. Alas, they explored neither. The group is very anti-murderhobo, so turning down the latter was expected. But I had high hopes for some epic scenery descriptions on the farm outside of town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, well, it had a few minor roles in my current campaign, most notably right before my guys went into Thay. The goliath druid and halfling sorceress (my younger sister) came up with the idea of building a harness so he could carry her on his back like a little arcane turret. I was laughing too hard to disagree when they proposed it and allowed them to build it with a local craftsman on their last stop before Thay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (1st Edition) campaign where the PC were left shares in a run-down brewery in a will.

They spent time hiring craftsmen, seeking out suppliers, recruiting employees, shipping/carting goods, and working with the nearest village to improve infrastructure (like the docks).

It made for a nice change, and the Old World feels real enough that it didn't seem like a stretch to run this sort of game rather than saving The Empire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D.
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done it in a game with a GM that was able to keep things interesting but it was a Call of Cthulhu game and a day job there is a welcome change of pace goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan, "Son of Hett"
United States
The Triangle
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorta. One of my last D&D characters had a background as an actor. It also served as his cover for working for the assassins' guild (great for disguises, good excuse for travel, good way to get invited into marks' homes). Being the only member of the party with any semblance of a job, thus any income, it was up to my character to arrange for lodging at every town, which was paid, of course, by entertaining the other guests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.