The Nine Worlds
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
The Tower of Tharikthiril
Rad-Hack
The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game
Tales from the Loop
Dungeon Master's Screen, Reincarnated
Treasure Hunter: Complete Rulebook (1st Edition)
Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Courts of Stone
No Rest for the Wicked
Mutant: Elysium Map of Elysium I
Dungeon Master's Screen: Of Ships and the Sea
Imperious Rex! Realms of the Deep
Th' Dinky Dungeons Tome of Knowledge
2CGazette (Issue 33 - Jul 2018)
2CGazette (Issue 36 - Sep 2018)
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
It is okay if you don’t know what “prefix” means. It’s not the end of the word.
mbmbmbmbmb
A follow up question to the July 9 QOTD.

So many geeks dug into the bowels of their collection to dig out their obscure items, some of which even they did not know they had. So despite the similarities of the follow up question, it is worthy to ask.

As suggested by

Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
Sometimes, you just have to roll it.
badge
Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?
mbmbmbmbmb

What's the oldest and/or most obscure game that you've played in the past 5 years?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
My con attendance has slipped over the last 5 years, and that's where I normally play the more obscure games. But, let's see what we have.

Using the search feature available at My Geek | Played, the oldest game I've played in the last five years is Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st Edition). I've been a regular game of AD&D 1e since 2012. Man, that's a long time for me to play a single game.

The most obscure is probably a game called Lore. I honestly don't remember playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
In that time period, I've only played Fudge as far as rules are concerned. Most obscure genre is The Bremen Town Musicians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Made you look!
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran a short Slack game for some coworkers using Foreign Element.

If "character creation + 1 combat" is enough to say I've played it, I did a short solo thing with Cursed Empire.

There are more older/obscure games I'd like to play but the local population just isn't here. I'd have to play online or solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is coming!
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I haven't played much in the last five years. Depressing.

Oldest would be - according to my plays - D6 Fantasy. Evidently, I enjoyed it. I have no recollection.

Most obscure would be my buddy's Aspects of Fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
The oldest is Basic Dungeons & Dragons, and the most obscure is probably the Bullwinkle and Rocky Role Playing Party Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Pachinko games count. I have note played any old rpg in the last 3 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldest in the past five years is definitely a short Twilight: 2000 (1st Edition) campaign. While I still think T2000 is an awful system, the game itself was piles of fun. You can see my report of it here: Twilight 2000 1st Edition: a tale of emergent fun.

Most obscure would probably be my friend Anna Kreider's The Starlit Kingdom, which makes use of the system from Polaris: Chivalric Tragedy at Utmost North and is heavily inspired by Sailor Moon. I enjoyed it tremendously! The source material, I admit, was completely obscure to me, but the game itself was a lot of fun and I highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Car Wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
That game wasn't half bad...
badge
...no, it was ALL bad! Dohohoho!!
mbmbmb
I only play things from the last 10 years. Everything before that is inferior.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
JK

*runs for cover anyway, just in case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Peters
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I play a lot of newer stuff, so oldest would likely be Savage Worlds Deluxe. In the last five years I've probably played close to 25 or 30 different systems, with more than 10 in the last year between the groups I've had. Yes, that link is a shameless plug.

Here's a list of 10 in the last year:

- The Black Hack
- Dungeons & Dragons 5e
- Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force and Destiny
- The Expanse
- Leagues of Gothic Adventure
- Robert E Howard’s Conan: Adventures In An Age Undreamed Of
- Savage Worlds
- Uncharted Worlds
- Zweihander: Grim and Perilous

I don't know how obscure it is but Honey Heist, probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
United States
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldest might be Savage Worlds? I'm not sure that I've played anything very old, lately. Obscure...absolutely no idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
1978 Gamma World (1e)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
I've been using the Dungeons & Dragons Rules Cyclopedia which I got from drivethru print on demand. It's so much better organized than the 1e books! Makes the DMG look medieval.

There are some printing errors that didn't get corrected in this rerelease, which is a shame, but it's a very nice reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that involves looking at my RPG plays, which is really depressing.

Oldest was Call of Cthulhu (4th Edition) from 1989. One-shot game at a con. Went OK.

For most obscure...probably either Something Is Following You, which was the silly little thing I wrote for the 24 hour RPG contest a while ago and I'm not sure anyone else has played (but hey, other people have read it at least!) I'm not sure that really counts though.

Alternatively, Raspberry Sky Stories, which isn't even on RPGG so I have no idea how many people own it or have played it. It was a free bonus with Golden Sky Stories (or maybe with the expansion?). Not sure I'd really count as it as an RPG though - more of an improv storytelling/acting prompt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wood
United States
Frankfort
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.accessiblegames.biz
badge
Author of Psi-punk - Coming Soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played much of anything in the last 5 years, but thankfully that timeframe does encompass GenCon 2015 and one or two trips to GameStorm, so I have a few.

I'm not entirely sure which is the oldest, but I think Universalis (First Edition) from 2001 might cover it. I also played an absolutely miserable game of The Morrow Project, but I have no idea which edition. It could be anywhere from 1980 to 2013.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
Most obscure, probably Do Not Let Us Die In The Dark Night Of This Cold Winter.

Oldest, B/X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just picked Star Frontiers back up. I bought the two boxed sets, used, 30 years ago, played them a few times in the next decade or so, sold them again, and then recently repurchased the PDFs when I joined a play-by-post game. Coming back to the game with new eyes, I felt I understood it a lot better and now I'm running my own small (i.e. one-player) game of it, and hoping to do more.

That's the oldest AND most obscure, as I doubt that many people even know it exists. The strictly oldest I've played is probably Basic D&D. I just joined a game set on the Isle of Dread, which I recently reread (again, with those new eyes) with the intent of converting it for a 4th Edition D&D game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, like I can remember the last five years...

I know I did a session of K.A.B.A.L. which is both really old, really obscure, and really sucky.

Possibly, the most obscure thing I've ever played is The Alchemist of Istanbul - which is noted in my review of the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldest I've been playing with: The Fantasy Trip and Compatible Products (yes, I have the new KS stuff, but also plenty from when it first came out) and Universe (2nd Edition). And those were within the past few months.

Others that would qualify aren't RPGs...Blue Chip would be the oldest... (Item for Geeklist "Solitaire Games on Your Table February 2019" )

Obscure? I've got stuff from Rarr! I'm A Monster Publishing that might be considered obscure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hellar
msg tools
designer
Grognard group has mainly been stuck in a rut playing 3.5 dnd / pathfinder blend since most everyone doesn't wants to invest the time in learning a new set of rules. It has been a brand new setting each time since we always do home brew.

If we want to add in newest game, the millennial group are doing 5th ed dnd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen23 wrote:
Grognard group has mainly been stuck in a rut playing 3.5 dnd / pathfinder

Heh, it's all perspective. My main group considers 3.5 the "newfangled" D&D and regards Grognards as sticking with AD&D1 less Unearthed Arcana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
Spleen23 wrote:
Grognard group has mainly been stuck in a rut playing 3.5 dnd / pathfinder

Heh, it's all perspective. My main group considers 3.5 the "newfangled" D&D and regards Grognards as sticking with AD&D1 less Unearthed Arcana.
I was about to say something like "grognards afraid of learning a new rule system? Feh, not like any grognards I know. In my day we would learn both Rise and Decline of the Third Reich and Phoenix Command in one MORNING!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmb
oldest is Basic Dungeons & Dragons,

most obscure is Ninja Burger (1st Edition)..I play with the kiddo every now and again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Pennisi
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The oldest and most obscure game that I've played in the last 5 years was Pacesetter's Chill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.